Scenes from a narrow shelf layout

Updated shot

I have about 48 feet of layout going around bedroom walls. The narrowest area is 9" and the widest is 12" except for the corners, which are much deeper with a minimum radius of track at 36" and the widest at 42".

Here is an example of 9" deep scene. Since the shot was taken, I have removed the facade that is against the wall. It looks much better now and doesn't draw the eye to the wall. Will take an update photo soon.

Here it is unfortunately without a blue sky BG.

That is gorgeous..!! I agree that a backdrop, even just a blue sky, would make it perfect....
Who makes those vehicles..?? They would fit my time-frame just perfectly....

Here are two close up shots of the Athearns. They make a pickup truck also.
I hope they make some more early to mid 50's vehicles.

I have about 48 feet of layout going around bedroom walls. The narrowest area is 9" and the widest is 12" except for the corners, which are much deeper with a minimum radius of track at 36" and the widest at 42".

Here is an example of 9" deep scene. Since the shot was taken, I have removed the facade that is against the wall. It looks much better now and doesn't draw the eye to the wall. Will take an update photo soon.

I was wondering if you have a track plan image you can share? And perhaps some pictures showing more of the shelf than just the scenes? In my idle time I design track plans that I don't expect to ever build and my current one is a three deck single wall switchback layout that is only 12" deep but 20' long. The switchbacks end up overlapping vertically but there's enough separation that I think it might be acceptable. The depth is more what I'm concerned with, and what kind of scenery could be added if a large portion is either track or slope.

In the unlikely event I do break ground on this project I hope to use On30 clearances in order to support a logging enterprise. That makes the 12" even smaller, but there would likely be fewer buildings and more trees so that could actually work out in my favor.
________
AngelOnline

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if you have a track plan image you can share? And perhaps some pictures showing more of the shelf than just the scenes? In my idle time I design track plans that I don't expect to ever build and my current one is a three deck single wall switchback layout that is only 12" deep but 20' long. The switchbacks end up overlapping vertically but there's enough separation that I think it might be acceptable. The depth is more what I'm concerned with, and what kind of scenery could be added if a large portion is either track or slope.

In the unlikely event I do break ground on this project I hope to use On30 clearances in order to support a logging enterprise. That makes the 12" even smaller, but there would likely be fewer buildings and more trees so that could actually work out in my favor.

I have a pencil drawing of the track plan somewhere. I’ll take a look through my old files and if I find it I will scan it. The layout is in a room 13 1/2' X 11 1/3'

Here are some pics of the shelf, but the shots do it no justice. My camera is out for repair so I can’t take any new shots for now.

The switchback concept sounds interesting. The depth thing is certainly a challenge and I think keeping structures to a minimum is good; also the smaller the structures the better. I tried to keep most of my track, roads, structures, and scenes not to be parallel with the edge of the shelf, but slightly off to an angle or an extreme angle. This helps to keep the eye from being drawn to the edge of the layout.

More shots:

Wow that's really great. It supports the notion of elegance through simplicity. The eye is not overwhelmed - you get track and some green. It's really pleasing to look at. The stark white bench work helps to focus attention on the models, too.

I strongly agree with the concept of avoiding parallel lines. So much so that I almost detest rigidly straight track. It seems unrealistic, perhaps unnatural. Real railroads have to abide by the regional terrain, and if the terrain is worth modeling it probably doesn't promote straight track. And besides, trains look cool when they wiggle through a scene :)

Thank you so much for sharing. Your work is very motivating.
________
List of suzuki motorcycles

Wow that's really great. It supports the notion of elegance through simplicity. The eye is not overwhelmed - you get track and some green. It's really pleasing to look at. The stark white bench work helps to focus attention on the models, too.

I strongly agree with the concept of avoiding parallel lines. So much so that I almost detest rigidly straight track. It seems unrealistic, perhaps unnatural. Real railroads have to abide by the regional terrain, and if the terrain is worth modeling it probably doesn't promote straight track. And besides, trains look cool when they wiggle through a scene :)

Thank you so much for sharing. Your work is very motivating.

Thank you.
The benchwork is an Off White with a tinge of grey in it and the wall is a very light blue, which doesn't show in these pics because the exposure is set to the darker colour of the scenery.
I sometimes run trains at night so I can't see the walls or benchwork.

I hope you get to do your project.

Cheers.

Great stuff!

Impressive modeling. Really like what you did. Your structure and rolling stock weathering is very well done. So is the overall scenery.:eek:

Please, feel free to post more pics.:)

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

NB: you are in BC right?

icon14.gif

Great stuff!

Impressive modeling. Really like what you did. Your structure and rolling stock weathering is very well done. So is the overall scenery.:eek:

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

icon14.gif

Thank you. The scenery on the layout isn't complete, there are still hidden areas where one can see the plywood. I really didn't want to put too much into because it is a temporary layout until I can get a bigger space. When I tear it down, I will probably only the save the section with the coaling trestle, which is the narrowest section of my layout. And of course I'll save all the structures. Here are before and after shots of it.
P.S. I sent you a private message.

Great stuff!

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

icon14.gif

My camera is out for repair, but will take some more new shots to share. It's quite a challenge shooting the layout due to its narrowness. Also I don't have a DSLR. Wish I had a lens where I could achieve better depth of field. As you can see in these shot the depth of field is poor.

My camera is out for repair, but will take some more new shots to share. It's quite a challenge shooting the layout due to its narrowness. Also I don't have a DSLR. Wish I had a lens where I could achieve better depth of field. As you can see in these shot the depth of field is poor.

Oh quite the contrary. I think the depth of field needs to be very narrow and I think you've accomplished that. The first image with the car is a great example. The near side of the car is in focus, along with the immediately surrounding grass, but the fence and building are out of focus. It could be a bit narrower depth of field but it really isn't necessary. I wouldn't make it deeper, that's for sure.

If anything, I would work on using a lower ISO to produce less grain in the image. Because lower ISO requires more light or longer exposures you might need a tripod or a remote shutter if you aren't already using those. Though your images don't appear to have any motion blur so I suspect you're ahead of the game there.

Get that ISO to 100 and you'll be golden :)

Oh quite the contrary. I think the depth of field needs to be very narrow and I think you've accomplished that. The first image with the car is a great example. The near side of the car is in focus, along with the immediately surrounding grass, but the fence and building are out of focus. It could be a bit narrower depth of field but it really isn't necessary. I wouldn't make it deeper, that's for sure.

If anything, I would work on using a lower ISO to produce less grain in the image. Because lower ISO requires more light or longer exposures you might need a tripod or a remote shutter if you aren't already using those. Though your images don't appear to have any motion blur so I suspect you're ahead of the game there.

Get that ISO to 100 and you'll be golden :)

Thanks for the tip. Most of the shots were taken by hand and a few with a tripod and a sun lamp. I have no professional equipment, but I do have an old 4 mega pixel Canon Power Shot G3, which I believe has the capability of adjusting the the ISO and f-stops. I'll dig it out. These three shots were taken years ago with the old Canon G3.

Zoegraf you are wrong: Your pictures are great. The depth of field is very good. Excellent modeling.

Thanks for sharing.

look's truly amazing work, when you have had a break from modeling like me it's inspirational to see

Back