Scenes from a narrow shelf layout

WOW!

Well done

Thank you.

That is the section near the closet. It has a mainline in the foreground that has a 1.5 percent grade. Behind it is the siding that goes to the ballast quarry; and behind that track is the storage track where I store the odd boxcar and my crane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply stunning!

The crane looks real. The water tower reminds me the one I saw at Field.

Thanks for sharing all this zoegraf. Excellent modeling

Simply stunning!

The crane looks real. The water tower reminds me the one I saw at Field.

Thanks for sharing all this zoegraf. Excellent modeling

I was checking out your website. WOW! Nice website. Love the videos and the scenes are incredibly realistic. I really like BOEC 7 and 8. The backdrop has a great feel to it.

I was wondering if you have a track plan image you can share? r.

I put this crude drawing together tonight. It's almost to scale. The turnouts are definitely not to scale. All my turnouts are #8s.
Not many structures; mostly scenery. I wanted to create the feel of some distance between the scenes. The mainline is the line closest to the station. Note the mainline (which can play the role of a branchline or mainline) goes into a hole hidden behind the quarry into a hole into the closet to a staging area.
I put the team track in another direction to make it interesting and challenging for switching. There is a 1.5% grade from the edge of the lift-out section to the area just between the tower and quarry. Also another 1.5% grade from just past the coaling trestle to the area just before the turnouts on the right hand side. THe lift-out section is attached to the wall with a piano hinge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the "lead" about the backdrop poster board zoegraf.
Turns out its working darn good!:)

201121103839_11.JPG

I put this crude drawing together tonight. It's almost to scale. The turnouts are definitely not to scale. All my turnouts are #8s.
Not many structures; mostly scenery. I wanted to create the feel of some distance between the scenes. The mainline is the line closest to the station. Note the mainline (which can play the role of a branchline or mainline) goes into a hole hidden behind the quarry into a hole into the closet to a staging area.
I put the team track in another direction to make it interesting and challenging for switching. There is a 1.5% grade from the edge of the lift-out section to the area just between the tower and quarry. Also another 1.5% grade from just past the coaling trestle to the area just before the turnouts on the right hand side. THe lift-out section is attached to the wall with a piano hinge.

Inspiring.

Hey thanks for the layout plan. I'm a nerd about that stuff. It's so much fun to look at maps :D I still wish I could figure out an unimposing way to build a layout in my home, but ... wife ... grumble grumble. ;)

Inspiring.

Hey thanks for the layout plan. I'm a nerd about that stuff. It's so much fun to look at maps :D I still wish I could figure out an unimposing way to build a layout in my home, but ... wife ... grumble grumble. ;)

I'm glad that it inspires you.
Perhaps you could propose a layout similar to mine, but just along one wall or two? You'd be surprised (if you keep it simple like a branchline) what you can fit in a layout 9 inches deep. I started out with a section on a wall that was 9 inches by 8 feet. It kept me busy for a year working on it then I added to it. Maybe could start on something as small as 6 feet by 9 inches like the section by my window with the coaling trestle. You could take it to model railway shows and show it off for entering your models for display.
I have a friend (who's layout, which no longer exists and has been featured in many model railway magazines) who had a siding that went off to the edge his layout where he had empty benchwork (its height could be adjusted) where one could place their modular section on it and attach it to his siding.

My layout is at chin height so dressers, desks, and whatever can fit under it. In the closet where the staging area is, only along one of its walls, shorter length clothes hand above it and longer below it. The staging area is protected by a shelf above it that can be removed.

These scenes are 9 inches deep.

Well, I was gonna post some pics of a little speeder conversion I did for my upcoming On30 layout, but it seems I've a lot of work ahead od me before I am worthy!:D

Back