Santa Fe Sunday

My Santa Fe addiction,
My Santa Fe addiction is more personal.
I lived within bicycling distance of Santa Fe's Zacha Yard (and Zacha Junction) in NE Dallas and spent many hours trainwatching there as a teenager. The yard evolved into an intermodal yard after I went away to college and was eventually sold to KCS, and now to Watco who still operates it as a transload terminal. I still watch the old Ft Worth to Oklahoma City main a little north of Alliance Yard which is nearby. There are still a few warbonnets on that line, mostly on grain drags.

How about a CF7

Attachments

• 2022-09-20-0016.jpg
    2022-09-20-0016.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 96
My Santa Fe addiction is more personal.
I lived within bicycling distance of Santa Fe's Zacha Yard (and Zacha Junction) in NE Dallas and spent many hours trainwatching there as a teenager. The yard evolved into an intermodal yard after I went away to college and was eventually sold to KCS, and now to Watco who still operates it as a transload terminal. I still watch the old Ft Worth to Oklahoma City main a little north of Alliance Yard which is nearby. There are still a few warbonnets on that line, mostly on grain drags.
My dad lived near Zacha Junction in the 90s, so I only ever saw it under KCS, but I can imagine it as Santa Fe. I grew up near Saginaw, which was home to the little Fort Worth intermodal ramp. When I hired out Saginaw is where we had our conductor training. There weren't many places in that yard I hadn't been on my first day as a student!

If you want to see warbonnets, Gainesville would be a good starting point. Both the local and the road switchers use matched sets of Dash 9s for their power.

I've got several of those Bachmann 4-8-4, and I'm looking forward to the day I can get them weathered,.....either by myself or a volunteer. They should look really good with some weathering,..it will hi-lite a lot of the detail that is already there.

The later versions of these engines ran rather well, and had a decent pulling power if I remember correctly.

I was also doing a little searching for some of my articulates, and I seem to remember having picked up a P2K 2-8-8-2 at the Timonium show that had a SantaFe marking,....and surprisingly had dcc & sound installed. It had no box and the seller did not even realize it had those added features. My problem, .....I could not find it, to verify I really did have it. Without a box i'm sure it is somewhere down in a stack of plastic trays that are all stacked up, and I did not wish to go thru those stacks tight now. I hope it is still there somewhere.

Thanks Curt for taking the time to post them. I like the GP20 the best. I guess it’s a 20 maybe a 18
Way late to the party here, but FYI. It is a GP20. Distinguishing characteristics is the square single exhaust first red arrow, and then the second small fan in front of the large rear fan. 2nd red arrow. Usually the more upright fan housing rather than sloped is a characteristic but a few 20s had the sloped fans just like the GP9 and GP18. There is also something different about the fuel tank, but I don't remember what and as this model doesn't have the fuel tank cover, so it is not helping me remember.
1673674532461.png

Santa Fe specifically invested a lot into the GP20s, to replace the aging FT fleet. For some reason they avoided the SD7 and SD9? So in the early 1960s the GPs were the Santa Fe's mainline heavy power, and stayed that way until the GP30 then GP35 then they skipped the GP40 and jumped to the SDs in 1966.

Last edited:

Back