Santa Fe Sunday

I was particularly a fan of the DL109 locos, and Lifelike did a pretty nice job on their plastic model. Up until then you have to go to brass for such a model.

On top of that SF had a B-unit. I wanted one of those.
index.php

DL109/110 Project

Lets take this one up first since it is the easiest. Basically I had to get two DL109 shells so I could cut the front off of one and replace it with the tail of the other.

I did not desire to do horizontal cutting, nor individual roof segmenting, so I had to make a choice as to where to make the single cut and still preserve the closest possible spacing of the side windows. Here is my project so far.

View attachment 18968
View attachment 18969
View attachment 18970

Naturally this new 'b-unit' fits right onto the stock chassis. So both units will have power, and perhaps DCC and sound.

With the stock weight of these engines, the combination of the two should pull the walls down !!

https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...ong-shark-bp20-and-a-b-unit-for-dl-109.21934/

I'll probably have to get someone to help me with the painting and decals as I have that ambitious new train layout in planning, and I just don't know when I will ever have the time nor a clean painting station set up anytime soon. (and I lack the experience in painting and decal-ing train models)

Last edited:
Made this ATSF SD45 5404 years ago. Tried to model it with the some hood doors open. Used some cannon doors to help along with it. Used N scale wheels for the covers and scratch built the innards, even have a light inside the start station. A flywheel only on one of the motor and the drive to the rear truck goes right thru the plastic diesel engine mock up.
Here it is on the pit getting some attention
ATSF SD45 5404 1.jpg

ATSF SD45 5404 2.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

I hope these all give me good service once I get my new layout up and running
These are excellent locos and they are the heaviest ones that I own. As an experiment, I set a single one up with 64 double stack well cars and had no issues with it alone pulling them all. I do not have grades though.
03-27-19 011.JPG

This is not a picture of that experiment, just an example of every day usage.

That's good to hear,...yes they do appear to be quite heavy. Maybe 2 of them (or more) will tame my grades....ha...ha.

That Proto DL 109 is also quite heavy, and with a powered B unit, it should also pull like a bandit !

My Santa Fe addiction,..

When I re-entered the hobby (age 60 or thereabouts) I was primarily steam oriented, and mostly east coast roads (B&O, C&O, etc).

But when Proto 2K first came out with their new SF PA's, it hearkened me back to child hood when we all remember the famous Santa Fe engines and their color scheme,...just had to have some,...then a few more, ....then a few more.

Back