Running Bear's September 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit I am not that familiar with King Crimson (the way I am, for example, with Yes). Tony Levin is an amazing player and not just King Crimson.
Some of the King Crimson material recorded after Ian McDonald (Foreigner) and Greg Lake (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) left the band was rather avant- garde and possibly unlistenable to many.
Tony Levin has played with just about everyone on both sides of the pond. I like him as well, but my favorite bass player (hard to pick), has to be John Entwistle, followed by the fore-mentioned Chris Squire.

Afternoon All,

Started out painting fascia this morning about 7am (trying to beat the humidity). I got 2 coats of paint on both sides for all 3 pieces then made a run to Wally World. After lunch I mounted the fascia and mounted the last UP5 on the fascia. Unfortunately that means I have no excuse to not start on signaling 😣. My reluctance is based on the pain involved the first time around with them.

Terry- I hope your hand feels better real soon.

Chad- The gravel looks good. The gravel really tore up the foam. From your pictures the house looks huge. How many sq. ft. is it going to be?

Sherrel- Any unexpected money from the IRS is a win!

Dave- I've had similar type issues with several coal hoppers.

Guy- Beautiful landscape.

Willie- Great haul. The food trailers are very cool.

I hope everyone has a good night.

That stump in the cemetery is gone. One of the other guys finished to job while my back was achin.

Truck is gone too. Checked CarMax, mediocre offer. Went back to Ford and they honored their offer of last week. Check is in the bank. One less thing to wake up to each day. Now just have to report the sale to the DMV then sell back the remaining extended warranty plan then go buy some train stuff.
Mainline Hobbies in Summit, PA is hosting a layout tour this weekend. Nice wx forecast so should be a nice day to ride a few hundred miles.
Havin a cigar at the lounge right now.
I've got to drive to Frederick Saturday morning (to take the Husky back to the rescue) then I'm heading to Mainline to use the gift cert that I got for Xmas, then home to rip splines for new roadbed. If you see a silver haired gent in a silver Colorado, that would be me!

For whatever reason I have always enjoyed YES and their album Big Generator......it's my favorite
That album, and 90125 before it was much more pop oriented than their earlier albums. This was largely brought on by Producer Trevor Horn, and their new vocalist, guitarist, and keyboardist, Trevor Rabin.

I also like those albums, but for me, these were the beginning of the end of Yes as I liked them. I believe the Trevors ruined a once great band. But that's just me, being anti-change, lol. I'm also a huge Steve Howe fan, and for him to leave Yes... said a lot.

That album, and 90125 before it was much more pop oriented than their earlier albums. This was largely brought on by Producer Trevor Horn, and their new vocalist, guitarist, and keyboardist, Trevor Rabin.

I also like those albums, but for me, these were the beginning of the end of Yes as I liked them. I believe the Trevors ruined a once great band. But that's just me, being anti-change, lol. I'm also a huge Steve Howe fan, and for him to leave Yes... said a lot.

90125 was the first Yes album I heard. It interested me enough that I bought the next one I found in a shop, which was Drama (interestingly the only pre 2xxx album without Jon Anderson as singer). Then I found "The Yes Album" (my favorite), "Close to the Edge" (which many consider their best), and Fragile (full of favorites like Roundabout). My favorite period was 70-73 and between 90125 and Big Generator I like 90125 better, though Big Generator has some interesting stuff. Bands evolve and the 80s was not the 70s and the band moved to fit the 80s. In the 90s they changed again and they've continued to change up to now. I listen to it all but find the early 70s the best followed by the mid and late 70s.

Interestingly, late 60s and early 70s brought forth a plethora of great bands. All of which I didn't "discover" until the mid to late 80s. (Of course I knew of them and had heard of them -- The Who, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Rush, etc -- but from the age of 10 to mid senior year of high school I had sworn off pop and rock and was mainly a jazz and some classical listener so didn't begin my re-schooling in rock and pop until my senior year up until now. I've learned a ton more in the last 12 years since my son and I started to take bass lessons and he started to play in a band at the school and then my daughter started guitar and was also in a band at the same school (she still is). They play a lot of classic (as well as more recent) stuff and I've greatly expanded my horizons in these years from what I had done, which was a huge expansion of musical listening and knowledge and large record and CD collection by itself, in the previous 25 years.

OK, so who is your favorite bass player? I have a few I really like. Christina Weymouth and Chris Squire come to mind right away. I appreciate Flea's skills, but not a huge fan of the Ret Hot Chili Peppers.

RC planes... Back around 1980, I had a Falcon 56 that I flew a few times before I crashed it. A buddy was really into RC planes, but my parents wouldn't agree to getting me a replacement after I crashed the first plane I built. Maybe I should have started with a smaller, simpler plane. The Falco 56 was a pretty large and relatively costly plane back then. And I used "micro bubbles" (or some product like that) to do the wings, rather than the inexpensive, and more lightweight shrink-wrap skins.
Chris Squire, yep. Or should that be "Yes?" ;D

I'm up! Already got 500+ words worded. More coffee and a plate of Bacon, Flo!

Taking a break for some hobby. One thing about a creative process like writing is that it's tough to go full tilt until I get to a point where everything is known to the author and I can just flat out write. Until then, 500 words is about enough for one sprint. I try to do that four times a day... but, I've been lucky to get two per day.

After wording for a while, I do a little hobby time to get some energy pennies stored up in the writing bank. Then I sit and see if the pennies are ready to drop into words. Sometimes more hobby is needed to store up some more pennies and let the subconscious think about the story.

Been following a business coach who is also a writer. She's applying the Clifton Strengths templates to how writers (and other creatives) function in her videos. Her approach is far different than the so-called Sales Classes or Zig Ziglar-type stuff I've taken over the years. The energy pennies idea is something she uses to explain the how and why of the mental side of the process. Early on, I have to drop silver dollar amounts of mental energy into writing as I brew up the story.

Later, once all the pieces are there, I can switch back to dropping nickels and dimes into the writing pool because I got the story pot full of silver early on. And, since I'm not doing my daily walks for recharging, the hobby desk is a good way to generate mental energy. Something I enjoy gives me the thought energy for something that uses creativity in an extreme way.

Hope that makes sense.

Good morning all! 52 and foggy heading for sunny and 82. It's been a busy week and I'll be glad for a couple days off. Finally got through all my school work for this week last night. Sorry for my lack of participation lately and also sorry to Willie for being grumpy over the immigration etc discussion a few days ago. Been a rough week and I've been pretty stressed out. Anyway, back to work again today with plenty of things to get done. Going out to eat with my wife's cousin this evening as she's here for a visit from South Carolina. Hope you all have a great day!

Morning all,

Banished to the dungeon like a common serf. Tested positive for covid, explains the cough and fever and why I wasn't feeling quite so well coming home last night. So far the fever is below 101° but I tend to run low on temperature anyway. Still out until at least Tuesday, and I have been vax'ed and boosted. I'm not sure I want to take the paxlovid (sp?) to weaken this. Every case I personally know that did it had a rebound case.

Took 2.5 years to catch it. So far wife is negative.

Good morning all,

It is a dreary one here, 63 and rain showers here in east central Minnesota. Supposed to be similar tomorrow, highs around 74°. We have had a string of very nice weekends so not to be surprised we get some rain. Actually moisture is pretty low here, our ponds are about as low as they were last summer during the drought, although the lawn has been green all summer!

Troy - energy pennies is a novel concept. When I am editing maps I often distract with my news feed and the forum. No hobby stuff at the office! Been editing old right of way maps for the last couple months as "fill in" work. Matching parcels up with deeds and erasing unwanted details, highlighting information pertinent to the present, also doing some colorizing. Notice some of the older documents signed by familiar long dead Minnesota governors like Wendell Anderson and Harold Levander. I was in elementary school when they reigned.

Partick - bummer about the covid, (Jeff and I must have gone to the same school). Wife and I had it once, simultaneously.

Pic of the day is from the new layout, features NP 328 and my collection of refrigerator cars. The trees are the only ones on the layout and are supposed to be half dead from growing right alongside the track, getting those regular doses of smoke:

IMG_2642.JPG

more later, Dave LASM

Well I lost most of my sweet corn to rats/mice you do not get both but I have not seen droppings to ascertain size
they also went onto my red squash
then corgettes zuccini
they are investigating beans and even cucumbers
my knee is playing up the other half is struggling with his and our animals ie m work so has no time tootect or harest
he rescued some courgettes
so basically celery tomato and onions and takes in ground where tops are gone are mostly ok,ho hum 2 years my knee has ruined my harvest, and I have no winter crops in either,although spinach will self seed as did the celery, I got a few late peas, peed off,sad face
just as well it’s a hobby not essential :(

I knew when the farmer next door harvested I needed to harvest,but my knee went at totally the worst time.

Good morning all,

It is a dreary one here, 63 and rain showers here in east central Minnesota. Supposed to be similar tomorrow, highs around 74°. We have had a string of very nice weekends so not to be surprised we get some rain. Actually moisture is pretty low here, our ponds are about as low as they were last summer during the drought, although the lawn has been green all summer!

Troy - energy pennies is a novel concept. When I am editing maps I often distract with my news feed and the forum. No hobby stuff at the office! Been editing old right of way maps for the last couple months as "fill in" work. Matching parcels up with deeds and erasing unwanted details, highlighting information pertinent to the present, also doing some colorizing. Notice some of the older documents signed by familiar long dead Minnesota governors like Wendell Anderson and Harold Levander. I was in elementary school when they reigned.

Partick - bummer about the covid, (Jeff and I must have gone to the same school). Wife and I had it once, simultaneously.

Pic of the day is from the new layout, features NP 328 and my collection of refrigerator cars. The trees are the only ones on the layout and are supposed to be half dead from growing right alongside the track, getting those regular doses of smoke:

View attachment 151854

more later, Dave LASM
Excellent low angle super focus,love it, left hand corner is a give away but you needed the start of the loco so 9/10 smiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back