Running Bear's September 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Was a busy day yesterday, between getting the yard mowed, grand daughter's school event, laundry, checking out the new siding going on the daughter's house. Doesn't look a ton different due th the sidings primer being real close to the color the house was painted. The real change will come when it's finished and painted. They are changing the color to a gray with white trim. Now if I can convince her neighbor (my son) to do the same... 😂

Currently 62° going for a high of 72° later. Just wish the rain would come and not stay so far north. Supposed to be dry tomorrow through the next 7 days. Got to get the groceries in a bit.

While the death of the Queen is an important event, you would find it hard to believe we aren't subjects, based on the news coverage. Gotta be more news going on than the wall to wall coverage.

Good morning gang!

59° and overcast, heading to 81° , rain tomorrow.

At work til mid afternoon, then home for a much needed nap.

Making arrangements with the rescue group we got her from to rehome the Husky. She used to not care about the cat, now she wants to eat it. My Border Collie used to be her best friend, now I have had to break up several dog fights. She can't be trusted around the Grandkids (she's nipped at them), and to top it all off wifey got home from work yesterday to find the kitchen tablecloth shredded and her standing on top of the table. Enough is enough!
She has been housebroken since arriving here 2 months ago, and it was hard house training a 1 year old dog, but with helpful cues from the other dog, she got it. 6 weeks of training at Petco also helped with basic commands, but she's still unruly unless you have a treat in your hand. She needs some serious training, and a home without cats and small kids. I give up. She leaves next Saturday. I've never worked with a dog so much and had such disappointing results. It truly sucks.

BBL

I got JMRI up and running this morning while I wait for the dew to rise... Gotta get some mowing before noon.

It took me a while to get the right driver installed for the NCE USB driver, but once I figured that out, it was pretty simple.

The only thing I've done so far is startup Withrottle and start using my phone as a wireless throttle.

Pretty cool stuff!

While the death of the Queen is an important event, you would find it hard to believe we aren't subjects, based on the news coverage. Gotta be more news going on than the wall to wall coverage
I have to admit, that the news coverage of our beloved Qeens death has been "extensive" around world, and other events have been sidelined. But how many people do you know have done anything like she had, in 70 years.

Seen 15 British Prime Ministers, and 14 US Presidents come and 13 go.

Been Head of State of 53 countries.

Has had the unwavering support of the majority of her country for 70+ years.

I could go on, there is much more she has done and achieved, but your nap times not here yet. :D

Good morning gang!

Making arrangements with the rescue group we got her from to rehome the Husky. She used to not care about the cat, now she wants to eat it. My Border Collie used to be her best friend, now I have had to break up several dog fights. She can't be trusted around the Grandkids (she's nipped at them), and to top it all off wifey got home from work yesterday to find the kitchen tablecloth shredded and her standing on top of the table. Enough is enough!
She has been housebroken since arriving here 2 months ago, and it was hard house training a 1 year old dog, but with helpful cues from the other dog, she got it. 6 weeks of training at Petco also helped with basic commands, but she's still unruly unless you have a treat in your hand. She needs some serious training, and a home without cats and small kids. I give up. She leaves next Saturday. I've never worked with a dog so much and had such disappointing results. It truly sucks.

BBL
Wow! That's unusual, we had a Husky, and it was fantastic with my kids, never any hassle, was best friends with our X labrador alsation and the mini daschund, my youngest who could only crawl at the time, would pull hair, push it around, pull its tail you name it, and more often than not would fall asleep on top of him

8A32320E-42CE-47D8-A6AB-E03BE5097FB3.jpeg
A849BAF9-DD08-4472-A808-B39E0FA82CEA.jpeg

Good morning all! Planned to mow today but looks like that's on hold since we got a significant rainfall overnight. No big plans at the moment. I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to subscribe to our club YouTube channel. We're at 21 and hopefully climbing. Nothing else to report at the moment. Hope you al have a great day!

Good Morning All. Clear and 67°, nothing much different about today than the past few. Supposed to get into the upper 50's tomorrow night, but not much other change in the next 10 days, upper 60's-low 90's. No rain in sight. Not a lot of dew this morning, it should burn off earlier so I can start mowing again.

Thanks to each and every one for the congratulations on our 50th anniversary. I can't believe that that woman from across the pond is trying to upstage our occasion! ;) Now let's get on with playing with trains.

I noticed that Freddie Mercury has reunited with Queen!

Smudge - Great as she is/was, how much longer do we have to look forward to this BS?

Road trip yesterday went well but was not without unforeseen issues. Ran out of time and skipped the train store, a small disappointment. We were unable to locate a parking place at the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame after 30 minutes of circling and looking. Apparently the visitors to most anything in this area of OKC park remotely and rent those electric scooters, which were everywhere, and then use them to get around. Just not the thing for a couple of overweight 70+ year olds to use. We did spend more time than we thought we needed at the Will Rogers Gardens, which was OK since they were quite well done. The air park at Tinker AFB was also quite interesting. Lunch at the brewery was great but pricey. The only traffic issue was a 5.5 mile lane closure on IH35. It wasn't a problem going north to OKC, but coming home it took nearly 45 minutes to navigate.
On the way out from home we went by the nearby wind farm that I have referenced before, first time I had the camera with me. Wife took all of these pictures since I was driving.
IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

These towers are between 240' and 375'. At night the flashing red lights on a single turbine are visible from my pool deck if I look just right. As the crow flies, the closest one is ~5 miles away
There's 53 of these turbines spread out over 18,000 acres of pastureland.

Obviously no time in the train shed yesterday. I went straight from the car into the pool when we got home around 1700.

Some catching up to do here in the Coffee Shop.

Tom O - You're making some great progress with the warehouse background building.
I came home with 5 bags and 15 pieces of HO rolling stock.
Christmas in September!
Dave B - I get an earful from my wife after we go to social activities because in her opinion "I don't talk enough".
George - As a youngster I saw many trains through Chatham NY, heard many more since the NYC tracks ran alongside the Catholic Church there. I also saw a few B&M trains in their day, (or were they B&A?). Dad said that I saw steam engines there, but I do not remember them as I was younger than three when they came through. I do remember what I now know were F7's on the NYC line, lots of them.
The handicap parking place is behind the Farmco building! While I have some at other places of business, they weren't really in popular use in the era that I model.
Jeff - Have a safe trip.
Like Ken, I can't use the zero-turn mower either since one hand is needed to hold the beer. ;)
Karl - That's too bad about the dog.

In other news, besides the Queen, our southern border is still being overrun. Governor is sending them to sanctuary cities as fast as he can, but I noticed that Chicago is sending them to suburban cities unannounced.
Road trip pictures in separate posts later as I have spent too much time here already this morning.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Back among you -- I could tell that you all missed my sharp mind and wit!

We made the trip up North to San Fernando and placed the MIL to rest after the memorial and gathering of the clan with many friends who were present.
The mission where the service was conducted was built in the 1700's and was where the Spousal Unit's mother and father were married in 1944 - a very beautiful and maintained place. San Fernando was where the family settled after arriving in this country from Italy and a great deal of the family are all buried in the large cemetery next to the mission.
Speaking of the service - there were close to 200 in attendance including her 4 children & spouses, 11 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren. Afterwards we all gathered at the Odyssey Restaurant which sits on a hill maybe 1/2 mile from the mission and has a beautiful view of the valley for a luncheon; the main courses were chicken and salmon - of course I had to sample a bite of Kate's salmon and she had to have a bite of the chicken. I have to say that she and I both thought they were deliciously prepared with small thin green beans and "smashed" potatoes.

In the meantime, SIL Michael, had left to take G-son Sawyer, 18 MO old back home due to sickness - Then Ali, our daughter, who had a part during the 'MASS' took our car and went home to see about them leaving Kate and I to fend for ourselves "thumbing" a ride from others. Kate hitched a ride with Jan and two friends while I managed to grab the last seat out of town with BIL John along with his wife and a son. It was a grueling trip back as we managed to land in the middle of the afternoon/evening rush hour thereby spending 3 and 1/2 hours on a 105 mile trip!

After arriving back at the homestead here, we learn that there was an evacuation order given for the fire which was really spreading in our direction which included JAN, BIL BRAD, and their guest from Colorado including their three dogs -- all of them at our house along with our three dogs! I still can't believe how well behaved all of them were - no fussing from any except my wife telling me what to do!

All I can say is I am very thankful for the hurricane off the coast of Mexico which brought a half inch of rain to our area which has allowed CALFIRE to get a handle on the blaze. It's been quite a circus for the past few days and our guests were allowed back home yesterday afternoon.

A friend, KARL BRAND posted (his photo) on the FRISCO site - he lives in Houston.
1662821929944.png

Last edited:
Good morning historians, modelers and lovers of all things scale.

A cool day coming even if we do get to the 70’s. Not really a nice day. Depending on where the storms actually roll in from the rains start maybe this afternoon or tonight. The 3 weather models shown at the 6PM TV weather last night had 3 very different tracks. Then the WeatherChannel app at 6 this morning showed we have a 42% chance of rain this morning and the % goes up till 4AM Sunday where is shows 100% for the 12 hours after that. Who knows? The SIL and daughter will get wet at the UW football game. No idea who is watching the grandkids but it is not us, at least yet!

Terry agreed to a ATV ride around noon today as together we will check the new property lines. The guys had all the fence holes dug before supper yesterday with the post just laid in loose and will start again Tuesday based on the weather predictions. The farmer who rents crop land from us started Wednesday and his combine broke down. Thursday morning he called to let me know Friday his brothers Combining crew would be here 8PM and work till the rains come Saturday. I didn’t really pay attention till about 11 last night when Terry called me I had to see this. 4 combines and a truck convoy next to it with lights blazing. I have seen TV shows or ads showing Combines together but never in person and even on TV never at night. Many of you may have seen this sight before but it was one of those WOW things and a first for me. Moving together like they were one was memorizing. I watched for maybe a 1/2 hour before quitting. Funny all I really could see were lights! No, it was not a UFO.

My sister should be here around 6 per the son. They have to stop in OKC to let the paying client off! He expects a good push flying in from Scottsdale based he said last night on the weather patterns. He said he’ll ride the smoke here!

enjoy the day
Tom: I got caught in a bar many moons ago and was asked if I wanted to drive a combine. Sure I said as I have never done that before. Went to Washington near Spangle and got put on a crew. Our crew was 9 combines that ran 24/7 to beat the rain. Night was a cluster ...sorta... until everybody got the idea of how to run in parallel; kinda an echelon left thing. Had 3 trucks that emptied the 'bines while still moving. Lights everywhere along with a chopper overhead trying to direct the ground movement. I helped with almost 1200 acres of wheat before it started raining. They lost some wheat, although I don't remember how much .. seem to remember only a few hundred acres of the 7 square miles standing. There were 3 other crews operating near us. Went back through the following day and had a chance to look at the ground. Was not too many strips of wheat still standing so we kept pretty much parallel even in the corners. All in all, the farmers were happy with the haul. Oh, as a side note, those combines were NOTHING like the ones of today. Today's have GPS, stereo and air conditioning - must be rough nowdays!

Good morning gang!

BBL
Karl: You are seeing the problem(s) with rescue dogs. You have no idea of what they have been through before you got them. If the previous owner(s) have mis-treated them when really young, you are in for a rude awakening. It just pisses me off that this sort of stuff happens. Friend in Troy has been trying rescues of older dogs - even more problems with them; medical stuff, some still not house broken, some nip anybody, and forever barking is the norm; none of them have learned a damn thing. Even bite the hand that feeds. They are on the 4th dog as I write this. Maybe someday they will get something benign.

Willie: Your governor can go suck eggs. Living in southern Illinois, I am nowhere near Chicago yet I'll feel part of the impact of all those people getting shipped here. If it was up to me, our governor and the mayor of Chi-town would both be out immediately but your governor isn't helping us honestly.

Good Morning All. Clear and 67°, nothing much different about today than the past few. Supposed to get into the upper 50's tomorrow night, but not much other change in the next 10 days, upper 60's-low 90's. No rain in sight. Not a lot of dew this morning, it should burn off earlier so I can start mowing again.

Thanks to each and every one for the congratulations on our 50th anniversary. I can't believe that that woman from across the pond is trying to upstage our occasion! ;) Now let's get on with playing with trains.

I noticed that Freddie Mercury has reunited with Queen!

Smudge - Great as she is/was, how much longer do we have to look forward to this BS?

Road trip yesterday went well but was not without unforeseen issues. Ran out of time and skipped the train store, a small disappointment. We were unable to locate a parking place at the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame after 30 minutes of circling and looking. Apparently the visitors to most anything in this area of OKC park remotely and rent those electric scooters, which were everywhere, and then use them to get around. Just not the thing for a couple of overweight 70+ year olds to use. We did spend more time than we thought we needed at the Will Rogers Gardens, which was OK since they were quite well done. The air park at Tinker AFB was also quite interesting. Lunch at the brewery was great but pricey. The only traffic issue was a 5.5 mile lane closure on IH35. It wasn't a problem going north to OKC, but coming home it took nearly 45 minutes to navigate.
On the way out from home we went by the nearby wind farm that I have referenced before, first time I had the camera with me. Wife took all of these pictures since I was driving.
View attachment 151615
View attachment 151616
View attachment 151617
These towers are between 240' and 375'. At night the flashing red lights on a single turbine are visible from my pool deck if I look just right. As the crow flies, the closest one is ~5 miles away
There's 53 of these turbines spread out over 18,000 acres of pastureland.

Obviously no time in the train shed yesterday. I went straight from the car into the pool when we got home around 1700.

Some catching up to do here in the Coffee Shop.

Tom O - You're making some great progress with the warehouse background building.

Christmas in September!
Dave B - I get an earful from my wife after we go to social activities because in her opinion "I don't talk enough".
George - As a youngster I saw many trains through Chatham NY, heard many more since the NYC tracks ran alongside the Catholic Church there. I also saw a few B&M trains in their day, (or were they B&A?). Dad said that I saw steam engines there, but I do not remember them as I was younger than three when they came through. I do remember what I now know were F7's on the NYC line, lots of them.
The handicap parking place is behind the Farmco building! While I have some at other places of business, they weren't really in popular use in the era that I model.
Jeff - Have a safe trip.
Like Ken, I can't use the zero-turn mower either since one hand is needed to hold the beer. ;)
Karl - That's too bad about the dog.

In other news, besides the Queen, our southern border is still being overrun. Governor is sending them to sanctuary cities as fast as he can, but I noticed that Chicago is sending them to suburban cities unannounced.
Road trip pictures in separate posts later as I have spent too much time here already this morning.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.
Willie, do you have bands mixed up? Freddy Mercury died in 1991?

Good Morning all!
41F in Libby
75F in Olive Branch and raining.

Update on the Grandson. Some guy was sitting in the right turn lane, then pulled into the traffic lane. Jaden was doing 45Mph ( speed limit ) and got hit on the right side. Rolled the Jeep 3 times. Jeep was a 1986 Wagoneer type. Multiple witnesses state the same thing. State Farm assigned an atty to him and gave him a Nisson tiny thing for a rental...even with the seat all the way back his knees are almost to his chest! Anyway, atty wants 15K for a car for him and is refusing to sign any release papers. Besides the glass that was removed, come to find out his tool box wacked him on the back of the head that last roll. Guy that hit him also has injuries - broken shoulder and arm, probably more as time goes on. At least the 15K will help. His Grandpa over there does hot rods from the ground up, we will see what kind of vehicle he comes up with.

Off to Ruther Glen Sunday, no idea after that.

Later

Willie: Your governor can go suck eggs. Living in southern Illinois, I am nowhere near Chicago yet I'll feel part of the impact of all those people getting shipped here. If it was up to me, our governor and the mayor of Chi-town would both be out immediately but your governor isn't helping us honestly.
Ken, I see your pain. What do you think Illinois would do if it got the amount of illegal aliens that Tx is getting? Our st00pid .gov is doing nothing about any of it. Heard a guy talking the other day ... 'send them to gun savvy states as they need more moving targets'. Don't think that is quite the thing to do, but it is fun to think about.

Ken - While you're entitled to your opinion, it's not our governor who's policies are allowing this to happen. While Texas is a big state, we're getting 7,000-8,000 illegal immigrants every day, but the mayors of several sanctuary cities are complaining about less than 10,000 total in the last four months. If you're feeling the impact, just think about small towns like Del Rio, Eagle Pass and Laredo. Their morgues are being overwhelmed as well, with 750 deaths by heat and drowning so far this year. That's just what they have found and just on this side of the border. Arizona is having the same problem but on a smaller scale.
Inaction by Congress is as much to blame as executive policies.
My point was to point out that there is other news this week besides the Queen and new King.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back