Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer is over up here it seems.it was forecast to get up to 66 but the best we have been able to do so far is 47. many of my summer days have been spent just traveling around the area getting to know the area. i usually have my traveling companions with me.
20230608_085228.jpg

20230705_124357.jpg

i did go to Whitefish to see the surgeon for my one year visit for the shoulder replacement. The surgeon said that everything was just fine. I could have told him that and saved a 200 mile trip. Motion has continually improving, but strength will take a while longer.

Here are a few old photos of the Logan Valley.

thumbnail_20190824_171933.jpg

thumbnail_20190328_112338.jpg
thumbnail_20190603_105956.jpg

LATER

Good evening. It's clear and 80.
I'd like to think I'm relatively tech-savvy, but the latest round of "internet security" is driving me crazy. All my browsers now seem bent on protecting my privacy to the extent it is almost impossible to do anything. If I try to log in to my bank, credit card, or anything remotely secure, I have to get a code emailed or texted to me because my internet-shown location is thousands of miles away from where I am. I then, after the code text and entry, get an email from whatever company it was I was logging in to, alerting me that I had logged in to a location I hadn't before. The latest was my bank wanting to know why I was in Pakistan.
I keep turning "private browsing" off, but it turns itself back on the very next time it updates, or the next time I turn my computer off and on again, whichever happens first. Apple insists I turn on private browsing, and I have to turn it off for every browsing session. My ISP insists they randomize my ip address, so I keep getting weird location notifications from every place I visit online.
The reason for my rant this time is, I ordered groceries from Wally World, was notified they were ready, went to my local store to pick them up, waited an hour, then noticed my order had been placed in PROVO UTAH!

Yup, I have not seen cast drains for years.
Well I sure have. A 3"...maybe 3 1/2" cast iron outline with an end flare which came out of my parent's house, built in 1936. We had a master plumber who--a FAST digger--rigged up an emergency drain line using what turned out to be complete "crap" components. Dad paid him $1,500 for a few hours work, admittedly during a severe local flood emergency. But he basically shoved a four inch PVC line over the existing 3" line--nothing like a tight joint--which back-flooded. It back flooded because the line further down was clogged by roots. Isn't that always the way?

So it fell to me--my last brother had died--to solve the issue, or at least to address it and know when to call for further help.

I solved it, albeit at the cost of a lot of time and work. I had to dig under an existing sidewalk--I'm a big guy, and it was a small hole--and I wrapped the cast iron tube with a number of layers of tire-tube rubber to build up the diameter such that it would...just...slide into the 4" PVC tube.

I sealed that joint forward and backward (from the backside) and in the end wrapped it with solid pipe clamps over multiple layers of plastic sheet. Anyone who digs it up fifty years from now will appreciate my efforts.

The other lines went into a common Y joint, above the tree and its roots, and wasn't that a "**tch" too. 2" to 4" clay lines and running too through an old concrete grease trap. :D Just loads and loads of fun.

The PVC angled path incorporated a number of 22 degree angles, such so that the drain cleanouts will work well. I've done at least one already myself. Enough to appreciate my own careful work at alignment.

Pipe clamp and plastic over-wraps in all cases. Somehow I see my nephew digging it up forty years ahead, and saying to himself: "Hey. My uncle...he made a good job of it."

Last edited:
Good morning all. After a cold night with the temperature dipping below zero C, it is a cold, dry day.
The furniture in the house is still 'upside down'. Just a few more days and the elevator will be finally installed.

On the layout I hope to progress on building the street scene.

Not just yet though. It is coffee time.

Good morning from the So. Central part of WIsconsin. Yesterday weather wise was miserable. Winds, cold, rain and gloomy. Today mid 50’s with winds in the single digits with little gusting but still gloomy. It’s Fall in WIsconsin. 3 day rainfall amounts totaled just under 6” from the rain collection beaker at the front of the house. From the 2 working computerized weather stations on the property, one says 7.47” and the other says 5.5”. They are about a mile each from the house, 1 north and 1 south.

Weathering this morning at the bench. Volleyball on campus at 1 with a take out Gyros afterwards to bring home. The daughter is coming to the game instead of Terry. She will be home resting. Covid and COPD are not a good mix but over all she is getting better.

enjoy the day

Morning, I think - still very dark out. 57F and looking for 93 (yes 93) today and more 90's for the next few days. Sunny today with some clouds tomorrow.

TERRY, I keep getting kicked off my sites too! :mad:. Seems that every other day or so that I have to re-enter my login info - and the same as your problems -- except I do get the correct store in my Wally order!

Francine -- just coffee at the moment, err scratch that -- I will have a cup of tea with DAVID who is looking to test out his elevator!

TROY - It was foggy/cloudy here and I did not look for the astromary sights - bummer!

SNOWMAN - I would appreciate if you would give me your contact info for the next time I have a plumbing job! I do not envy what you did! That was a lot of work. I am familiar with cast iron and clay drainage; every few years - at an Aunt's house - the line would have to be broken into in order to clear out roots ... what a mess!

Good Morning All. Clear and 47°; that's a bit chilly. Won't really warm up until Tuesday or Wednesday. North winds will return around noon at 18-20 mph.
So the eclipse came and went yesterday. Interesting but nothing really spectacular, but it did darken up a bit. Wait until next April when we get a full eclipse here.

Granddog finally went home yesterday, even though her family has been back since Monday. Let's recount the score! She obviously ate something evil outside and got sick on the living room rug on Sunday; dug up part of the driveway and another spot in the yard (that I know of); and did not catch the vultures that taunt her by flying very low whenever she is here. The vulture family lives in my barn loft for those that don't already know that.

Had company yesterday so I didn't get into the train shed until after supper, so no project work. I needed a short break from that fence anyway, as it is proving to be more of a pain than most others that I have done.
I will only have time for a short project this week after the fence, since we're going out of town. I surveyed the layout and checked the pending projects list and came up with this. It actually won't take very long, waiting on paint and glue to dry will take the longest. I have a small area behind two townhouses that needs to be completed.
IMG_0588.JPG

You may be familiar with the structure on the right, as I did an empty lot next to it a few years ago.
IMG_0590.JPG

Tom O - The House Speaker's job seems to pay well, but then I would have to live in DC! No Thanks.
Mike - I haven't priced plywood in a few years, but that seems pretty reasonable to me.
Chet - Of course some of that Logan Valley looks familiar!

It's National Cheese Curds Day today. Even with all of the hoopla from you guys about a year ago, I still haven't found a place that serves them locally.

Everyone have a great day.

Well, my internet disaster continues like a slow-motion train wreck.
I think I mentioned I had to get T-Mobile wireless home internet here, since there is no infrastructure for anything else, not even cable tv. So, when a lot of people are on the system at the same time, it bogs everything down. Yesterday, when I was trying to sort out my my pickup problem, there was a lot of lag, and I was clicking "submit" repeatedly. Imagine, if you will, clicking "submit"--"click. Click-click. Clickity-click-click-click, click., click-click-click-click......
And somewhere in there, I managed to order an extremely expensive laptop that was in my "recently viewed" history. It's being delivered later today. But, at least it's being delivered here, instead of Utah. Small favors...
Anybody want to buy a really nice Windows laptop? Since it seems I have a new one, I don't need the one I have... Hoping I can return the one I managed to order during my clicking fury...

Good Morning All!
48F @ 89% and dark. Think I hear rain drops. Supposed to get to 67F later. In the upper 60's daytime until Friday. We will see.

Off to the train show in a couple of hours, wife is actually going too. Supposed to have 150+ tables so there should be something that will get the moths outa my pocket. Not really looking for anything in particular except loose rail.

The only time I need to MFA is if I have not logged into those sites that think MFA is more secure. Good thing Firefox remembers my passwords as a couple of them I can't even remember. Yup, written down and hiding in the dregs of my desk. Guess that if they are sitting at my desk and have figured out how to log in to my PC, that could be an issue. Of course, that would be a whole new set of problems. Hmmm, I guess that if someone has my phone my butt could hang out there. Can't really do anything except possibly cut themselves a check or do some sort of transfer of which all would be logged. Now if they know my pin for debit, then they could drain an account up to the daily limit. That is probably way out there though and that is still logged. Ya, ya they could go to their bank and do the dastardly deeds but then again there is a record and my banks would squeal but start the digging. I think that a lot of these kinds of problems do not effect me as I have a 'sticky' IP ( which does not change ). Of course, I only use Edge or Chrome when I happen to be updating web sites to make sure they work as intended. Would not even consider anything 'Apple' and if there was a Linux application(s) for a couple of the windoz apps I use, windoz would go away too.

Y'all stay financially safe!

Later

When installed it will be a huge benefit to Dawn.
Won't take much to make me green with envy, DAVID.
A few
months back when the Spousal Unit was making noises about moving -- I said, "No Way" am I moving all this "Stuff"! So, she goes out and purchases about 10K of kitchen "stuff" for her redo.
Now, I am finding that I am having a harder time with the stairs and MY COPD!
NOT Fun - by any means?

Well, howdy there internet clickers and eclipse non-viewers (don't be like donald, you'll burn your eyeballs)...

It's Troy again.

First, the scones:

scones.jpg

The dough was very sticky and she cussed up a storm trying to get them sliced and onto the cookie sheet.

I reminded her that she has her mother's old Tupperware brand pastry sheet rolled up in a drawer but left it there because it is cracked. I pulled it out, and it stinks like rubber. The storm of cursing was probably for the better. Time to toss that tupperware pastry mat out.

Now I know what to get her for Christmas.

Scones were yummy. But rather flat. We don't have strawberry jam, so I'm making do with the icing. Yes, those are blueberries in there. Not sure how that would taste with the strawberry jam. Probably best to leave them as is.

Yesterday was new door day too...

Here's the old door with a visitor we had the first week we moved in back in 2020
doors.jpg

The air gap of the old door was drunk-racoon approved. (Fermented crabapples from a nearby tree). Well, no more freeloading mr trashpanda!

door.jpg

Our "Rocket Scientists" at work. There two biggest problems was fishing the doorbell wire through the hole in the outer trim, and running out to purchase new trim, since moving from an outswing to an in-swing, put the hinges on the inside, and made the old trim too small.

Door2.jpg

door3.png

door4.png

I need to go get a new doorbell button today. The old one was from 1974 when they built this place. It didn't last.

I wonder if I can run two ring doorbell cameras off the same power pack? I've already got a camera on the back door where the deliveries come in... hmmm....

Well, howdy there internet clickers and eclipse non-viewers (don't be like donald, you'll burn your eyeballs)...

It's Troy again.

First, the scones:

View attachment 175413
The dough was very sticky and she cussed up a storm trying to get them sliced and onto the cookie sheet.

I reminded her that she has her mother's old Tupperware brand pastry sheet rolled up in a drawer but left it there because it is cracked. I pulled it out, and it stinks like rubber. The storm of cursing was probably for the better. Time to toss that tupperware pastry mat out.

Now I know what to get her for Christmas.

Scones were yummy. But rather flat. We don't have strawberry jam, so I'm making do with the icing. Yes, those are blueberries in there. Not sure how that would taste with the strawberry jam. Probably best to leave them as is.

Yesterday was new door day too...

Here's the old door with a visitor we had the first week we moved in back in 2020
View attachment 175414

The air gap of the old door was drunk-racoon approved. (Fermented crabapples from a nearby tree). Well, no more freeloading mr trashpanda!

View attachment 175415
Our "Rocket Scientists" at work. There two biggest problems was fishing the doorbell wire through the hole in the outer trim, and running out to purchase new trim, since moving from an outswing to an in-swing, put the hinges on the inside, and made the old trim too small.

View attachment 175417

View attachment 175418

View attachment 175419

I need to go get a new doorbell button today. The old one was from 1974 when they built this place. It didn't last.

I wonder if I can run two ring doorbell cameras off the same power pack? I've already got a camera on the back door where the deliveries come in... hmmm....
Troy: Would not one strategically placed ring doorbell/camera replace the current camera? In any event, those things do not use much current. What is the power supplied by the current power pack?

Later

Troy: Would not one strategically placed ring doorbell/camera replace the current camera? In any event, those things do not use much current. What is the power supplied by the current power pack?

Later
Don't currently have a camera on that door. It faces the "park like setting" and one of the complex's four pools. Garage is on the back side of the unit, where the current ring camera/doorbell is already connected to the doorbell transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back