Running Bear's October 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do bitters need to be refrigerated? Bitters are made from a strong alcoholic spirit infused with natural flavorings. The high alcohol content means that bitters do not need to be refrigerated as they are shelf-stable at room temperature. Once opened, a bottle of bitters should be kept in an upright position in a cool, dark place.
You are correct, sir.

What was the part and what failed....I am sorry I may have missed an older post?
The problem was that the TV would not turn on after a power outage. evidently when the power came back on a spike took out some components. The Bing video below pretty much sums up what I had to do. The board package was relatively cheap compared to the TV, and if the guy in the video can do it, so could I. Needless to say, we are waiting on a surge suppressor to arrive for the TV, as these TVs from what research has told me, are susceptible to this particular failure.

312912850_3296012360618483_7967687529836505937_n.jpg

Good morning. It’s snowing! 28f degrees feels like 18, heading to a high of 37. Most of the snow we get this Morning will land and melt. The TV weather guy I had on while eating dinner said last night, there will be about 1” accumulated on the ground for trick or treaters this afternoon and evening. The ground should get cold enough around 11am. Sounds like guess work to me

The tradition of candy gathering starts here at 4pm and ends at 8. If the outside lights are not on that house is not participating. I will have the driveway open and lit up but doubt besides the grandkids entourage we get any others.

It’s a layout day for me, no weathering , painting or futzing with electronics at the bench. I have 4 more circuit breakers to add and test but on the layout. 1 of the local guys who has helped on the layout said his ride to another layout build is unavailable today and asked last night if I had room for a helper. We can run some trains and he asked if he could bring some steam!

Sitting down for lunch yesterday our doorbell rang. After cleaning myself off the ceiling I answered the door. Seems I got served. The Town wants some property we own and has not offered a fair value for it. “Eminent domain” is going to happen which is fine. The courts will award fair value or we keep appealing. The Town is in for a long fight and both Terry and I are all in for this one, her more then me.

Reminder to myself, lower the volume of the door bell! I will be checking YouTube for an instructional video.

At the grocery store the cashier asked why I purchased so many 9volt batteries. Change the time this weekend, change the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Ours are individual units. When we first starting duplex rentals the local fire chief at the time asked us to buy separate detectors as they are more reliable per him then the combo units. We believed him and we also believe they saved one of our renters many years ago. I purchased enough for us, the kids and our offices.

Grocery shopping for on sale specials yesterday was a mess. The front end staff were handling the 3 open registers and the front end head was bagging and helping in the self checkout spaces. I did notice lots of stuff in the aisles yesterday. The guy checking while I teased him said 8 called in sick for the 3rd Monday in a row. Can’t fire them he said “as we need them when they show up“. I got my 8-6 packs of 16.9oz diet Dr Pepper for $20.00. I can do it again daily through Sunday! Maybe once more.

Terry and a friend have been at my sister’s in Pasadena. My sister got all her doctor’s appointments done so now they head off to the brother’s place on Maui. The brother is heading to golf in Arizona but his girlfriend is staying behind. I will join the brother next week to golf in the last of his groups tournaments. Because of the Maui fires instead of holding the year end tourney there in December as normal they moved it to November in Arizona. I am skipping this week’s event though.

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Happy Halloween. It's clear and 33° here this morning, going up to the mid-50's later on. Two more days of this cold and then back to normal November temperatures with sunshine. I did finally break down and start a fire in the wood-burning heater last night instead of relying on the electric space heaters. As usual, everything worked fine - no electronics or moving parts except the door. I should finally break down and purchase a traditional gas or electric central unit before Sleepy Joe finally outlaws them.

From the train shed window, it appears that my pond is about 85% full right now. I didn't walk back there because the grass/ground is wet. The ground around the rest of the estate is still waterlogged, but there are no pressing maintenance tasks to do.

It was an uneventful trip to the grocery store yesterday, however Patrick cursed me; the low air pressure light came on. Unlike the Accura which will display the pressure in each of the four tires, the Lexus doesn't. Or at least I couldn't find out how to do it. And I tried to find it in the manual, but that is so confusing that it is worthless. The fellow at our local tire place confirmed what I thought, all four tires were 3-4 lbs low due to the sudden temperature drop. I have a couple of gauges, but haven't put the spare in the new car yet. Gasoline prices keep going down around here, it seems like $2.79/gal is the magic number now, but even that doesn't come close to the $2.72/gal that I paid in Gulfport MS last week. Prices for diet soft drinks are still going up which erased any gains made on fuel.

Returning to the Texas City Museum for a few views of their other very extensive N scale layout.
IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

This layout probably covered a space of 50' x 30', with many walk-in aisles.
I have more that I will cover in a later post.

Karl - That toilet inlet feed line is the easiest home maintenance job that I do besides changing light bulbs. At least I don't have to crawl into a cabinet after first emptying it out.
Tom O - I finally looked at some war news yesterday, and I only came away with one observation. I now know how to pronounce Netanyahu.
We haven't had a trick or treater since we lived in the city briefly in 1976. We always took our kids to a certain neighborhood in a nearby town, where most of the country folks took theirs as well. The mostly senior residents knew this and always welcomed all with elaborately decorated homes and many had costumes on as well.

Everybody have a great day.

Well howdy there internet peeps, and those looking for the mysterious missing lectern in Arkansas.

It's Troy again

Just made the monthly Kroger run. Seems they're hell-bent on tracking their shoppers through the store. The only way to get the good soda specials each week is to have the app and either preload them, or scan the QR code on the shelf tag.

My wife listens to conservative talk-radio/podcasts and it's made her very paranoid about locking her phone down as tight as possible. She grumped up a storm when I mentioned that most apps will track your movement and the stores can see how you shop by tracking your position in the store while the app is running.

I now shop at Meijer for the weekly treks, and only hit Kroger when we're low on brands that only they carry (the wife loves Kroger Rich n Creamy Mac n Cheese in the pink boxes, and she's getting low), Of course, I'm low on cans of soda, and, of course, to get the special soda prices on my Diet Dr. Peppper, yep, scan it with the app.

So, tomorrow will be a Meijer (regional midwest WalMart type chain) run for post-Halloween candy specials and my Diet Dr Pepper. And maybe a Costco run. I'm low on Bourbon.

In other news, I'm trying to set up my Shopify store to sell ebooks directly to my readers. Eventually, I'll add a service that prints and drop-ships paperbacks in the US and Europe as well. But ... baby steps. Setting up the store is a HUGE undertaking.
Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 8.25.30 AM.png

Trying to get templates made, images downloaded, and descriptions copied over... and I still need to link about half the books over to the delivery service and test it for each book.

Wheeeeeee!

I'll check back later and may tell the story of the F-16 pilot and his quest for an easy button...

I've got links to cross load and check!

Sitting down for lunch yesterday our doorbell rang. After cleaning myself off the ceiling I answered the door. Seems I got served. The Town wants some property we own and has not offered a fair value for it. “Eminent domain” is going to happen which is fine. The courts will award fair value or we keep appealing. The Town is in for a long fight and both Terry and I are all in for this one, her more then me.
What do they want to use the land for?

What do they want to use the land for?
New town hall and new access roads to the great big software company in town. No problem selling it to them but we need a fair price and believe me they will pay it as we will appeal all the way. I have legit offers in writing that were higher then the Town offered and we turned those down. The Town is flush with cash reserves and the lady who started and owns the software company is a muliti BILLIONAIRE. Be fair and we have a deal if not our attorneys have fought “eminent domain” before. While costly it can be satisfying. I’m sure that after they do the “due diligence“ that should already have been done they will wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back