Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

It is the cattle that "Kobe Beef" comes from and many other Japanese beefs. The really expensive ones that are marbled fat and a little meat.

For a long time it was highly restricted, from what I understand, and so things like "semen smuggling" was a thing. Don't know if that is actually true but Wagyu is a lot easier to get now than it was 20 years ago, outside of Japan.

True Japanese sourced Wagyu is very expensive outside of Japan (in Japan too but much more outside). Wagyu have been exported to other countries that raise them and have also crossed them with their local beef cattle. The restaurant in San Francisco I was at had about 12 different types imported from all over in Japan. Each variation had its own regional differences. We didn't taste them as they were $$$$$. My host did get the American Wagyu (Wagyu crossed with Angus or something) and it was very very tasty. He shared small bites with us all.
I have only tasted it once, but I'll take good ole American Angus Beef any day, especially considering the cost. Wagyu is far too fatty for me. My 2¢.

Hello All! I was going to do a little train stuff today, but it didn't happen. :( Instead I resumed the mower wars. Not really a war this time, well maybe a little. I prepared the Toro for winter season. Oil change, scrape off the accumulated grass from under the deck, lubed axles, cables, etc., then ran her out of gas. I'll finish the season with the Snapper, then do the same with it. Also did a pre-season service on the snow blower. That was a little more involved. Took longer too, as I kind of neglected it the past couple of years. You don't use a snow blower as much as you use a lawnmower, so you, well I, don't think of it as much. Both wheels were rusted to the axle. I got one off, cleaned it up and then applied never seize so that won't happen again. The other will have to be heated I'm afraid, so that one will have to wait. Oil change, lubed everything, checked the belts, transmission, and auger gearbox. Adjusted the skids. It's ready to go. I figured better now than when it's 20 below and snowing, and a three week wait at the small engine shop! All done and only one busted knuckle.

The insanity of this hopper continues.....From E-bay at 5:22 pm, Texas time

Screenshot 2022-10-02 at 17-20-34 Utah Belt Proto 2000 PS-2 HO 3 Bay Covered Hopper eBay.png

Evening all,

10 minutes after posting, got hit with a migraine. There went most of today. Finally I can think.
Wife got a call from her former co-worker. Both complaining about what they are going to do now that they are "retired".

First day of summer vacation and we're bored. 🤣 I know I'll probably be the same way when it's my time.

Willie: I have to get the remaining "concrete" busted up before I can add additional anything. My goal is to work on it through the week now that I don't have to get up at 3:30a any more.

TomO safe travels....by the way have you ever stopped in Fort Madison, Iowa? If not I recomend it nice town and lots of RR activity there! Especially near the river!

View attachment 152730View attachment 152731

I have been there a few times always loved the historical buildings and the depots yup more than one depot there. Very cool town to see if you skip St. Louis!
James, nope have not gotten down to Fort Madison, Iowa. Terry said she will look at it for next years Galesburg, Illinois’s Trains and Toy Show usually in June. They are about 90 minutes apart and after Galesburg we can follow the tracks to the River.

I did watch a video when we were in Springfield, Illinois this past Summer. Showed the BNSF from Chicago to Fort Madison. very interesting and Terry doesn’t mind chasing trains once or twice a year!

Thanks

Good evening. 51° now, High of 58° at Midnight, East wind and light rain. More rain and wind tomorrow, into Tuesday. The forecasters are hinting that an NorEaster is developing off the Carolina coast. Ivan has disappeared from the map... Total rainfall Friday night to present. about 1.6".

Both Jersey teams , the NY Jets and the NY Giants won today...So did Philly. Baltimore Ravens lost. :(. I actually watched maybe 10" of the Jets - Steelers. Pretty decent game, considering I normally don't follow football. Truthfully, the alternative was the Rowan and Martin Laugh In Binge-cast from 1968.

The Baltimore Orioles failed to get into the playoffs this year, but only missed by 4 games. No one expected them to be anything but the worst team in the American League, let alone Major League Baseball. Instead, they surprised everyone and will finish the season with a winning record. Today, they beat the Yankees, and held Aaron Judge at bay, for win # 82. Things are looking up for the Birds. Tonight, the Mets fight for their life against Atlanta, in Atlanta.

Feeling a bit better today, hopefully, I'll get over some of the bone ache sooner than later.

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thank you all for the positive feedback via button-click or comment: Rick, James, Hughie, Willie, Dave, Louis, Guy, Patrick, TomO, Gary, George, Chad, Tom-C51, Joe, Curt

Ken I like that tool box idea. Was the wood top.... part of the tool box or did you add it? Looks like Husky? that would be from Lowes right?
Actually James, the wood is part of the cabinet - it's actually a combination work bench and tool cabinet. And it is indeed a Husky, but it came from Home Depot.

A friend of mine was given a blueprint cabinet by a retiring architect; he showed me how useful it is for storing trains, and ever since then I've wanted something like that. Only problem is, the blueprint cabinets cost ~$1500 new, or $800-900 if you can find a used one. My cabinet cost $450 at HD. I would've preferred if all of the drawers had been the same size, but I'm able to fit all of the cars that I regularly use into it so it does what I need.

I started out the day by installing metal wheels on some of those gondolas I got at the estate sale, that needed them. Then, as soon as I entered them into my JMRI PanelPro roster and tried to export the roster, the export feature did nothing; no error message or anything, just closed the submenu.

I thought maybe it was because I needed to upgrade to JMRI version 5 (the one that requires Java 11), so I went thru that whole song-and-dance. In spite of that, the roster export feature still didn't work! So I did a number of Google searches for a possible fix or explanation; that proved fruitless, so I went to read the release notes for JMRI 5.0 and saw a link for reporting bugs. I went to submit an entry about the export feature, and they advised including my JMRI session logfile and systeminfo file. But when I clicked the "Submit" button, an error message displayed saying that GitHub couldn't handle attachments...WTF!?

Anyway, I decided to view the session log file - and saw where all kinds of errors were generated when it tried to create the export CSV (Excel) file. The root error was Access denied. It turned out that PanelPro was trying to create the CSV in the old JMRI folder (from my previous computer), which was owned by a different pseudo-user account than the one for my new JMRI installation. So I just had to click on the "Security" tab for the target folder and add write access for "everybody" and that took care of the issue.

A little pop-up error dialog, explaining that access was denied to the target folder, would have saved me an hour of frustration. Oh well, this is one of the downsides of using software that is developed by a bunch of unpaid volunteers...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

I will throw my $.05 in. Agree with Willie. Way too much fat and I will take the Angus any day. Terry purchased some Waygu in July. It was a sale deal and while good, not worth even the sale pricing.

Most "Wagyu" sold in the US is actually the Wagyu - Angus mix. You rarely find true Wagyu in grocery stores.

In Japan, Wagyu is not eaten like Americans eat a steak. They will have a small piece of steak which is cooked and then eaten and enjoyed with just a few rich bites. In my experience.

There are places in Japan to buy and get American style steaks where the steak is the main food with the "sides" supplying the rest of the bulk. But typically the Wagyu is eaten and savored differently and in small amounts. It is rich.

I've only had real Wagyu in Japan that I know of once or twice, and then it was not the A5 top shelf stuff. It is very rich, and very good when cooked right. I don't try and compare it to an American style steak since the intent and way of enjoyment is different. In Japan you wouldn't get a 12oz or 16oz Wagyu...

There is or was a place in Japan called Ikinari Steak, where most of the meat was US and Australian imports, though they also had Japanese beef, and it was US style cut -- in fact you'd go to the order counter and say what kind and cut you wanted and how big and they would cut it right there and get your OK and then cook it in the style you requested (rare, medium rare, medium, etc). I've been a few times and it is awesome. However, at least near my sister-in-laws house, it has closed. My brother-in-law was a huge fan and a frequent diner club member there up until it closed.

Last edited:
Good morning. 47° and still raining. Going up to 58° and cloudy. Rain returns tonight, with the rain event now extended through overnight Wednesday. (By popular demand?).

My goal for today, is not to be rattled by irritating, noxious people and their dumb ideas. That means avoiding TV news and Farcebook for starters.

All this debate about highly marbled prime cuts of meat, what ever happened to low fat, healthy, tasteless beef? I haven't been to a great steak house or seafood restaurant in at least 10 years, and don't miss them. Our town finally came in to the 20th Century, when a Texas Road House opened. Haven't even been there yet.

The Mets were swept by the Braves...sidebar, How come they weren't forced to change their name?...Metswho led the NL East since opening day, and at one time had the best record in baseball, currently suck! Now 2 games out of first. May be co-incidental, but I trace their downfall to two events, 1. 1st Baseman Pete Alonzo started doing Car care Insurance commercials on TV, 2. Pitcher Jacob deGrom returned from extended medical hiatus. As I said coincidence, but after these two events, the Mets began their fade...

IBKen: I had a devil of a time loading JMRI on this WIN11 laptop. Windows "security" kept blocking the download as "incompatible". Finally got it loaded, and have gotten no further, because I don't have the program track wired yet. Since I never used it before, I won't have to worry about data on a previous version, but I was surprised how difficult it was to do something simple, like download and install.

The plan was to get to Davenport, Iowa on Monday and decide there if we continued to St. Louis for Tuesday and head home via I55/I39 on Wednesday. Or we could skip St. Louis and from Davenport go to visit the Covid stricken friends we skipped a couple weeks ago in Morris, Illinois and head home on Wednesday. Morris to home is a drive under 3 hours even with stopping in Rochelle, Il. to check out the RR Park at the diamonds.

Good to see the missing names returning to the Diner.

Tom, ever get to the TA in Morris and into R:place? One of our favorite Chicken Pot Pie places - simple but good.

Well, howdy there internet peeps

It's Troy again

Home from the gaming convention. Terrible timing falling right in the middle of a cold. I'm sure the lingering effects would be far less from the common virus if I had stayed home. But, I was committed to going, so I went. Got a great steak dinner out of it. No complaints there.

Came home with some WWII airplane game pieces (Tex Hill for the American Ace, can't remember which Japanese Ace I got), some Dwarves, and some Goblins. Gots lots of painting in my future. :D

But, today is drive to Goshen to take Mom to a doc appointment. I talked with my sis last night and it was recognized by both of us that Mom knows she's in the twilight last couple of years. Her body is complaining, but her mind is nowhere close to ready. We're trying to help where we can. Being 1.5 hours away means trips to see here are about a monthly occurrence. But she needs more help than my local to her sister can provide.

Wife and I decided we'd spring for a weekly cleaning visit. If pricing is what we expect based on the last rates mom told us, getting one of the crew at the senior community to do the bathroom and kitchen weekly cleaning would be $25-30 per week. It's a $40 gas bill or more to go see her just to clean, which is why we're doing 1/month.

So, my second mission today... no, third mission. Have to stock up mom's fridge. After a visit to the Hospital last week - mom panicked over chest pain that wasn't her heart, Docs/nurses said she should not be using the stove. Turns out she had a UTI, and was getting confused. She gets UTIs often due to being a transplant patient. The transplant drugs make her susceptible to UTIs.

Now we have to watch her for confusion, or excess potty trips. Have her checked for a UTI so that doesn't spiral into a hospital visit.

So, my wife made huge mess in the kitchen cooking all sorts of stuff for Mom. Got meatloaf and mac-n-chees and Chicken noodle soup and quiche... all the stuff I don't normally eat (I hate eggs). But, the stuff wife and Mom like. So, when I visit today, this all goes to mom.

food.jpg

The yogurt is mine.... but wife even baked Chocolate chip scottchie cookies. (with Scutterbotch chips too... that's how mom says butterscotch). I've been warned to not eat them on my drive today

Evening all,

10 minutes after posting, got hit with a migraine. There went most of today. Finally I can think.
Wife got a call from her former co-worker. Both complaining about what they are going to do now that they are "retired".

Patrick: Figuring out what to do while 'retired' looks to be tough for a lot of people. Me thinks that this attitude comes from always doing what others wanted you to do, in fact that is what a JOB requires doesn't it? Don't worry too much as they will soon figure out that they ( and you ) can do what ever you want. In our case we had 8 years of driving to think about the what we are gonna do part. I always knew, the wife did kinda. Now she has it and is planning accordingly. Hers is animals - dogs, cats, goats, chickens and their care, mine is railroad and house. I suppose the house will be part of hers too.

Later

Patrick: Figuring out what to do while 'retired' looks to be tough for a lot of people. Me thinks that this attitude comes from always doing what others wanted you to do, in fact that is what a JOB requires doesn't it? Don't worry too much as they will soon figure out that they ( and you ) can do what ever you want. In our case we had 8 years of driving to think about the what we are gonna do part. I always knew, the wife did kinda. Now she has it and is planning accordingly. Hers is animals - dogs, cats, goats, chickens and their care, mine is railroad and house. I suppose the house will be part of hers too.

Later
Geesh, replying to my own post again. Maria had a good point in this also. When not retired and doing your JOB, you have 'a list' of accomplishments that are needed; sometimes on a daily basis which somebody ELSE assigns. That list is gone when you finally get done with the JOB part. Now YOU are in charge of said list. She also says, 'give it time' as if you were busy all of your life, that probably is not going to change and you will keep busy. Maybe not earth stopping stuff, but stuff. Keep in mind that it could take some time before this is realized which all-in-all is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Later again

How much!
Well, howdy there fat and happy people!

It’s fat and happy Troy again.

Spent the day at the gaming convention. Worked in the booth for the game company I demo for. Volunteer gig. But the boss man used the company account to take volunteers out to Bowdies Steakhouse.

Here’s the menu:

View attachment 152721

Here’s my filet

View attachment 152722

And here's the carrot cake View attachment 152723

I’m stuffed.

Back home again late tomorrow. So another Starbucks morning. It’s the closest place for coffee. And, I’ve hung out at the chain enough to know which of the brews I like. The darker the better

are these prices because it’s a top flight restaurant?
how much does abdicate burger fries and drink cost at say McDonald’s….
I pay 20 pound a kilo for ribeye steak 24 if grass fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back