Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Today in the train room I finished up the second signal, then mounted them and the IR sensors on the layout. I put in the 12vdc power supply and finally mounted the logic board under the layout. All the wiring needs to be connected to the board yet. I wanted to start fresh because hookup is more complicated then the track signals.

I think we have a small leak in the wall someplace. Dad's vinyl flooring has moisture under it and there is no obvious wet walls or puddles however 2 door frames have slightly bowed out and a baseboard is bowed out. The leak checker comes on Friday. It's always something with home ownership.

Chad/Todd- Thank you for the info. I tried finding it on line and most sites require a higher degree in math to understand. I am math stupid.

Troy- That is very cool looking. Nice looking cat.

Patrick- Good luck with the interview.

Guy- I hate when that happens.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Exercise, are you joking?

The main reason I work every morning for Amazon is to tell my doctors I'm active! If the money is good that is.

I played Football, wrestled, and played baseball.

When we ran or lifted weights during football practice, I snuck off to the swimming pool.

When we ran, ran steps, or lifted weights in wrestling I snuck off to play with the basketball team.

I don't like training, lifting weights or any kind of work out, boring! Let's play!

My coaches looked the other way. I was never reprimanded or punished in any way. I was blessed with great stamina, and I was "country strong". I was always strong in the 4th quarter, and nobody ever put me on my back. I was at my best in the late innings.

I enjoyed baseball practice, so I hung around.

Now my doctors monitor my weight to be sure I don't lose too much. I was losing weight without trying. I have been steady lately, thank God.

Last edited:
I'm busy trying to get something on the screen that looks like a gondola end (G47). Thats hard enough, never worked with a Cad program before. But I can take some pictures of former build stuff.
I think you asked about Gondola diagrams on an earlier post:

gondola.png

These are hard to read, but here is an example. These and many other freight car diagrams are available at :
hope this helps! Dave

I'm busy trying to get something on the screen that looks like a gondola end (G47). Thats hard enough, never worked with a Cad program before. But I can take some pictures of former build stuff.
Please do, in case you haven't noticed we all like to see what everyone else is doing or working on, even if it's only walking the dog, or Willie harvesting his garden, or TLOC weathering one of his cars. :)

Good Afternoon All!
55F in Libby and severe clear. Weather guessers say cold until Monday, then unseasonable warm for the next 2 weeks - we will see.

Things seem to be getting done abet slowly. I am building up more stamina, which is good. Was used to sitting for 11 hours of which we throw that out the window. Been sore for the last week as I am doing more bending, leaning, walking up/down stairs ... etc.

Got new ( to me ) truck - 89 Ford F150 4x4 long box, 302ci and automatic. Did not really care about the tranny, but I really like the 302. Everything else we looked at were 350/351 or bigger; don't even bother with Ram's as they are the most uncomfortable things I ( we ) have ever been in.

1019221310.jpg

Have to do the inside of the Santa Fe, then it goes on the wife's facebook or craigslist. 2005 for $4500 AWD automatic with 109K....timing belt changed at 102K.

Later

Don't know what I got, but I've had this runny nose all day. Sneezing pretty often too.
Just takes the ambition out of me to do anything on the empire.
Still have the grade crossing sitting there with no progress since last week.
Goin down to the club layout tomorrow morning to hook up the programming track with built in rotary knob to select JMRI or ESU.

Good evening folks,

After a cold start to the morning, it finally warmed up to a tolerable level. I spent the afternoon reassembling & remounting my right front tire & wheel on my Street Rod, after chasing down a slow leak on Monday. Thought I had picked up a screw or a nail the last time I drove it, but the culprit turned out to be a finger-tight hex nut (factory screw-up, should have been tighter than just finger-tight) at the base of the valve stem on the inner tube. Not to worry though, got it all back together and back down on the pavement before sundown.
102.JPG

I would rather have been working on a model train project, such as painting a decaling a Lionel O-gauge caboose like this one..................
2165.JPG

Or servicing out my only HO-scale purchase at a recent train show........................
014.JPG

Or even scratch-building/kit-bashing something similar to my modified N-scale truck (hmmm, sumthin' looks familiar about this)...................
017.JPG

Oh well, with a bit of luck, maybe I can get back to some serious model railroading projects first thing in the morning. Unless of course, the wife gets up before I do. Then I'll probably be clear outta' luck (She's allergic to me having fun, ya' know!) :p

Last edited:
I'm 74 in a couple of weeks, 6' and just hit190, after several years in the upper 170s /low 180s. This corresponds to my recent arthritis related problems, and my sweet tooth. I snack out of boredom, and need to cut it out. I average 2 beers / day during the summer, but don't drink at all during the winter, so that's not a factor. Need to cut out the snacks.

Books. I'm an indie author that publishes Witchy Paranormal Cozy Mysteries on Amazon. Think: Murder She Wrote, set in a Harry Potter style of world.

Rules of the genre: No swearing (well, we can use fudge and darn... but dropping a Hell! or Dammit! needs to have everyone around be shocked! Shocked I say! that someone actually used the word.

No on-page gore. You can say how someone died.... but no description of blood pools, body parts not connected any longer, etc

No on-page sex. Fade to black. A simple kiss is all that's needed.

And a murder. And a snarky talking cat or two. And some magic. Maybe a mermaid. Or four. And an old Chinese wizard with a sweet tooth. And pixies. Gotta have pixies.
Ok, I understand it to some degree, although, as usual, my problem is being completely disconnected from things that are otherwise considered mainstream, well known, and it's particularly true today. Today's themes and genres, for example--it's not that I don't get them, it's just that I have never read any of them. I have never read anything from the Harry Potter universe, nor seen any of the movies, for example. I'm "that guy" who still lives in the back corner of the closet underneath the stairs. Stuck in my own era, I guess, but generally happy to be here.

I've never read Tolkien either, although I have seen the three films. NOT a fan of giant-size spiders and won't be....ever <shudder>. Those CGI sequences were very well done, but for me they are the stuff of nightmares.

FWIW, Wilbur Smith bypasses explicit sexual passages too, as did Asimov, and Heinlein (who ran closer to that edge, but who still, generally,
danced around it). A good story really doesn't need it, IMO. Nor do some of my favorite films.

Thanks for pinning it down, in any case <tips hat>. Always good to understand people you come across in life a bit better today than you did yesterday, even if you suddenly realize you have major disagreements about key things.

And as far as I know, we don't. :D

I am hitting the sack early. Working in the train room this evening has me feeling woozy. Left the room over 2 hours ago but left the paint booth fan running and the bathroom fan running next to the entrance to the room.

The house is electric radiant heat so there is no carbon monoxide going on. We do have the detectors and neither of them is going off. I stupidly tried for the last time (again) to use a clear Krylon spray can. Krylon just overwhelms my exhaust fan. So I think I am Krylon intoxicated! No, I didn’t use the respirator mask, dumb I know.

Just a warning. I have an early appointment with the vampires again at the Clinic at 6:40am and then breakfast with an old friend/personal assistant I haven’t seen in 20+ years. So I won’t be here in morning!

Good evening

After a cold start to the morning, it finally warmed up to a tolerable level. I spent the afternoon reassembling & remounting my right front tire & wheel on my Street Rod, after chasing down a slow leak on Monday. Thought I had picked up a screw or a nail the last time I drove it, but the culprit turned out to be a finger-tight hex nut (factory screw-up, should have been tighter than just finger-tight) at the base of the valve stem on the inner tube. Not to worry though, got it all back together and back down on the pavement before sundown.
Well done!
A window maker wheel, which is something to worry about. It looks well maintained, clean and rust free.
I doubt you will find many professional tire people who are qualified to work on that wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back