Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! It's finally sunny out, high will be 64°.

Life has been busy with young kids and re-staining and varnishing the wood trim on my wimdows. A few weeks ago, we visited my old stomping grounds in NE Iowa ans snapped this photo of my son watching the local switcher shove back.
20190907_112154.jpg

I'll try to stop in more often and share some of the stories and photos I have from when I worked on the RR. I do miss running the trains, but I love having a life.

Willie- I would leave that sand hose as is. It is very prototypical to have sand blow everywhere BUT in front of the wheel. ;)

Lee - You're over near Farmington, huh? Went there to visit a friend many years ago - haven't been back that way in a while. Nice area.

Yes I’m about 7 miles west of there Be
Lee - You're over near Farmington, huh? Went there to visit a friend many years ago - haven't been back that way in a while. Nice area.

Yes it is about 7 miles West from there I live in the country very beautiful here I was blessed to be born in such a beautiful place

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Did a bunch of chores today, inside and out. Wednesday I'm going with the wife to her VA appointment and then we're going to run two errands in downtown Orlando. I'll be getting my flu shot while at the VA.

Garry- Thank you.

Terry- Nice looking loco.

Garry- Nice layout pics.

Justin- Nice 1:1 pictures.

Johnny- Nice job on the siding.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone..........sunny and cool, but a nice early fall day.

No news to report....just cruising the model railroad web sites.

Posse....great photo shot!

Just waiting for the physical therapist and the nurse to show up.

Take care....

Greg

##############################

Weathered 4441 1.jpeg
More info on this Rust Bucket at a later date.-Greg

Since Sirfoldalot invited me I thought I should drop in.
Weather - first cool front has blown into Houston, lower humidity is a blessing.
Baseball - looks like Charlie Morton got his revenge for being traded.
I was looking at some of the photos folks have posted and got to thinking about the transition a scene makes, and how many little changes we make to our "little worlds". I started with a desire to have a wooden trestle somewhere on my layout. Well under the interchange track turned out to be an OK spot. Well maybe a little bit of water, and a stream appeared. Oh this might be a good place to try out static grass everyone is talking about. How about some campers, ta da.

Attachments

• Trestle - 4.jpg
    Trestle - 4.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Trestle - 13.jpg
    Trestle - 13.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 157
Welcome to the coffee shop Texas Hobo!

We have us a knowledgeable baseball fan! Morton accounts for nearly 25% of Tampa's payroll, but, so far he is one of the exceptions to the rule when it comes to high priced pitchers 35 years old or older! I doubt the Rays would be in the playoffs without him. Many teams joked when the Rays signed him, but who's laughing now?

Louis. You are to kind don’t think I’m good enough for any Model Train Magazine but thanks anyway for the complement

Johnny. Where do you live? I see you picked up some apples there’s a place south Anna Illinois always has good Apples and the layout looks great nice progress

Willie. Hope some day to see that sand on the layout

Thank all of you for the likes and complements not much was very busy today didn’t get to say Good Morning all. I’m planning some things since I got the Reefers done. I think I’m going to work on some Mopac stuff. This is a rail line I’ve started and stopped then started again guess I need to Model this rail line my Family has been involved with the MoPac since the early 1900s. My Grandpa and Great Uncle on my Mothers side both worked at the car shops in DeSoto Mo. My Great Grandpa on my dads side hauled from the mines in Fletcher Mo. to the DeSoto ramp and off loaded ore into Boxcars in the early teens until he crushed his leg then my Grandpa took over driving his Model TT. My dad and I both hauled lead to the Mopac/ UP ramps at Glover, Mo. Dad in the 70s me in the 90s till they shut the ramp down then I unloaded at the smelter. Yes I am a 4th generation truck driver I love them both Trains and Trucks. So I think I will start on the MoPac I will post some pics of projects I’ve started years ago later.

I do believe there are honest politicians. I hope my level of cynicism never reaches the level of you and Boris

Louis: You will never become cynical.....In my days as a manager for the Penn Central / Conrail I met all sorts of elected government officials, including Joe B., Tip O'Neil, Roth, the Capano Family, Stenny Hoyer and numerous others. probably the most Honest" politician I ever met was Ms. Barbara Mikulski who I lobbied, when Elizabeth Dole wanted the government to give Conrail to the NS, outright, for chump change. I suppose, that they are all honest, in that they generally don't run afoul of the Code of Politics, although if you google some of the names, they do have a dark side. Ordinary people, aka. constituents, voters or citizens are held to a different moral and ethical code, than Politicians, Corporate Executives, Bankers, and Government employees. If you want a lesson in political integrity, read up on the Hudson County Democratic Machine. Perception is reality, folks have different ideas about how things should be run, and who shouldn't, who's a crook and who isn't. Look at all the people who support Bolshevik Bernie. To these folks anyone to the right of their views is a right wing reactionary. That vision would include Nancy and Ms Hillary as right wing reactionaries.

One can't help but be cynical when I hear political hype.

Boris

All - weirdest thing - I always take photos with my phone, then send them from the phone to my computer where I can manage them, and then post from the computer to the forum. This morning I sent two photos of progress on the lumber company area over the weekend, and they wouldn't come to the computer. Finally, THREE HOURS LATER, they showed up. Never had that happen before, and no idea why. Since then, I've tested it and the photos come immediately.
That damn Trump is messing with the 'cloud'.

Just waiting for the physical therapist and the nurse to show up.
That "SOO" locomotive better see the therapist too! :p

A few weeks ago, we visited my old stomping grounds in NE Iowa ans snapped this photo of my son watching the local switcher shove back.
Welcome to the forum ... That is a monster neat/cool photo!

I'll be getting my flu shot while at the VA.
None of that for me this year - last two years about put my lights out - sick for a week!

the F7 shell is a old Penn Line with Bachmann Spectrum power.
WOW - Been a while since I have heard the "Penn Line" name. That weight should pull the paint off the walls?

That damn Trump is messing with the 'cloud'.
Might as well blame him for that too. According to some, he is what ails the world!

Good morning Everybody!

I mostly rested yesterday and I feel better for it. My todo list seems to grow daily, but even that won't get me off the couch when I know I need rest.

I enjoyed watching baseball and football, even a few minutes of preseason NBA action last night. My main focus was on the DC vs. LA MLB game. I saw Mad Max throw a 94mph two-seam fastball, with great movement! I would not have believed it if I had not seen the spin on the replay. For the casual fan, the two-seam fastball is 4-6% slower that a four-seam fastball. Usually the harder you throw it the less it moves. Mad Max had some serious spin on his pitches last night!

Speaking of being able to see the ball spin on it's way to the hitter, these new big screen ultra HD TVs are amazing! With replay it's even better than being on the field. I could never pick up the spin of a MLB pitch in person, but on a big screen ultra HD TV it was easy to see in slow motion replay.

The National's manager went against the analytics at least twice last night. First he let Ryan Zimmerman face LA's right handed reliver and that proved to be brilliant when Zimmerman hit a 3-run homerun! Later in the 7th inning he left Mad Max in after the bases were loaded with only 1 out. Max battled back and retired the side without giving up a run. The Nat's bullpen finished the job, now it's Back to LA for game 5!

In NFL action the 49ers easily handled the Cleveland Browns putting the Baltimore Ravens back into first place in the AFC North.

I do have one thing to complain about; why do so many big league middle infielders receive the throw from the catcher on a steal attempt in front of the bag? After catching the ball they have to turn to apply the tag! Even my little leaguers knew to straddle the bag, catch the ball and slap down the tag! With practice it becomes almost one motion. It's no wonder the rate of catchers throwing out base stealers is so low these days. Today's MLB players are more talented then ever, but many are lacking in the fundamentals.

Have a great day Everybody!

Johnny- Nice job on the siding.

YES, Johnny, coming right along! Very nice!

I started with a desire to have a wooden trestle somewhere on my layout. Well under the interchange track turned out to be an OK spot. Well maybe a little bit of water, and a stream appeared. Oh this might be a good place to try out static grass everyone is talking about. How about some campers, ta da.

Texas Hobo- Amazing what little it takes to spruce up a scene. The aging look on the trestle is "top notch".

Today's MLB players are more talented then ever, but many are lacking in the fundamentals.

I know that it's youth also involved, but I sure see a lot of "dumbass" mistakes on the part of "professional players".

Good morning....A nice week in store for us then goes down hill after Sunday. Time to get the outside nicknacks put away for the summer and spend more time with the trains as the days get shorter.
BTW does anyone have one of those Loksound programmers just wondering how they hook to the computer.

Tom, they come with a serial port and USB connector. Either one works.
Good morning....A nice week in store for us then goes down hill after Sunday. Time to get the outside nicknacks put away for the summer and spend more time with the trains as the days get shorter.
BTW does anyone have one of those Loksound programmers just wondering how they hook to the computer.

I know that it's youth also involved, but I sure see a lot of "dumbass" mistakes on the part of "professional players".
I've coached 8 year old players that had a better grasp of the fundamentals than some of these MLB players do.
To be honest I think some are protecting themselves from being hurt. On defense, they won't get into the base paths and they won't block balls with their body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back