Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeppers - You cannot beat "The Champagne of Bottled Beer"!
Still the best in my book - I am not a fan of craft beers.
I like many beers. Any traditional Lager or Pilsner (pale lager) is good in my book. Just please don't put no f$#@ing fruit in my beer!

My favorite is/was National Premium, but I can't find it anywhere. The National Brewing Company originally brewed it, but they are long gone. A brewery on the eastern shore of Maryland painstakingly recreated the recipe and nailed it! But I can no longer find anyone that carries it. There is one place on their list I have not tried yet. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Canton.

For some reason I have been thinking of Miller. That is unlike me to want anything in particular, I seldom crave anything. Whatever I have is usually more than good enough. If I can find National Premium, I'll buy a case. But I still want a Miller. A 40oz in a brown bag will do!

I saw a Budweiser truck this afternoon. The icy bottle of beer pictured on the trailer looked good. I'll be happy with that. If they have Clydesdale Christmas packaging, I know I will buy that!

I'll end up buying too much beer. It would take me a year or more to finish a case. I end up cooking with it. It's great for steaming seafood and I boil pork in beer to make barbeque. We also use a little to roast pork or chicken in the oven. Beer never goes to waste in our house.

I am not a fan of craft beers.
That makes two of us. What is the point of craft beers? I think beer has reached its perfection.
I fixed the truck door handle
Well done! I'm happy to hear that; I know it was nagging at you because it would have been nagging at me.

They really suck...because, as Mike wrote, the fix is just a couple of keystrokes.
Not quite, invariably your "Customer Service Representative" can only do certain actions on your account, for obvious reasons, they don't have full control of anyone's account, they simply type it into your "notes" and it's actioned by someone else higher up the food chain.

Joe- you still are not, as an employee of a professional team, allowed to bet on league games. Just ask Calvin Ridley Even worse is betting on the team that employs you.
Shane Pinto of the Ottawa senators was suspended for 41 games for partaking in sports betting.

"The NHL was clear that this suspension wasn't the result of Pinto placing bets on NHL contests, though they didn't elaborate any further on the infraction."

Wonder who ratted him out...supposedly he was on IR, when he made bets. The Sens helmets advertise a betting parlor. There are parlors inside the Rock. Numerous parlors, advertise incessantly on TV. That sounds a tad hypocritical. But...

Afternoon All,

Started out with a walk this morning at 68F and windy. The sky was milky white. It's been raining on/off since Monday and is supposed to last until Friday. After breakfast I re-arranged the garage which thankfully wasn't as bad as it appeared. In the train room I built the "shuttle" out of styrene, wood and of course NBW's.;) Everything needs painted, but because of the weather it will probably happen this weekend.

Louis- It's Guinness time! I'm not a snob but for some reason Bud products always give me a headache.

David- At least the pharmacy seemed proactive.

James- Best wishes for your Dad.

Karl- I had to send that Dad joke to my daughter.

Bill- Nice painting.

Todd- It looked like a fun time.

Willie- Nice layout shots.

Roger- Great troubleshooting.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Sounds like a good excuse to hit Hiawatha, and lombard Hobbies. :D
Hiawatha definitely but I instead may head 1st to Enginehouse Services up in Green Bay. I need to check when they open as I figure at least an hour in store and I’d like to be home while it’s still light out. I’m still a bit ticked at Lombard (less then 2 hours away depending on Chicagoland traffic) over the 70% sale that wasn’t and they are aware.

Just checked 2.5 hours to drive to GB and they open at 9:30.

The plan is leave at 7 arrive when Enginehouse opens, then breakfast at the Golden Basket, the UP Butler yards in Milwaukee and finally head to Hiawatha. Plenty of time to shop, eat and be home before sunset without rushing.

I can drive in the dark especially with multiple lanes, I just don’t want to if I can avoid it.

Most beers have 11-13g carbs per 12 oz serving. Light beers like Miller Light have 6-9g carbs per 12 oz serving.
My doctor told me the same thing. She told me I did not have to abstain from beer.

I did anyway because my cardiologist told me if I didn't get my blood sugar under control, I would have a much more severe problem in five years. I cut every carb I did not need, better safe than sorry.

I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I wake up every day, which is more than good enough for me. I don't go to bed hungry. If I want a snack, I open a can of green beans or spinach, I love vegetables!

Speaking of vegetables, I saw a field of broccoli yesterday, I was almost drooling, It was beautiful.
My last A1c was 5.6.
That is fantastic! I'm happy to hear that! :D The six-million-dollar man will be around for a long time, thank God!

With pancreatitis my doctor's target A1C is 7 for me. I'm now down to 7.2 and she said she was happy with that.

Shane Pinto of the Ottawa senators was suspended for 41 games for partaking in sports betting.

"The NHL was clear that this suspension wasn't the result of Pinto placing bets on NHL contests, though they didn't elaborate any further on the infraction."

Wonder who ratted him out...supposedly he was on IR, when he made bets. The Sens helmets advertise a betting parlor. There are parlors inside the Rock. Numerous parlors, advertise incessantly on TV. That sounds a tad hypocritical. But...
The place he placed the bet let the NHL know is what I read.

edit:

found it
IMG_1993.png

Last edited:
The old girl finally gets moved inside for a full cosmetic restoration.

I've got pics of her with 2 of the boys standing on her pilot at the ages of 3 and 4, they are 31 & 32 now. She also is the 1st BLI loco that I purchased in HO.
AFT's introduction to the world was at Delaware Park, in Stanton, DE in 1975. Train came up from the South behind 2 GG1s, and I had a crew with GP9 7000 at Stanton to switch and set the train up for display. What a pain in the butt. the 7000 derailed on the curves inside the racetrack, and Ross Rowland was a Real Jerk. He wanted to run the shifter...had to threaten the cops to get him out of the seat and off the engine. He thought he was in charge because he owned the 2100 at that time.
Next day, we had to come back with a crew, to take the engine to Wilmington Electric Locomotive shop, because it threw a tire. The shop had drop tables and the blacksmith shop replaced locomotive tires...GG1s had tires also. Brought it back the next day. The plan was for the 2100 to run North under its own power, but our Regional Manager required it be hauled in tow behind a pair of motors. (I think he was afraid that Rowland would try to run it over the Main Line....). Rode the motors from Stanton to Trenton.

Second encounter was September 1976, AFT was coming off the Reading at Belmont (Philadelphia), and running the Highline and Main to Aberdeen, MD under it's own power. (Ross Rowland not present - think he was Persona Non Grata on Conrail). Amtrak had just taken over the NEC operations, and I went with the property. We had an incident free trip from Belmont to Aberdeen, and a ride to Baltimore to get a train back to Philly. (Did I ever get dirty, even with coveralls and gloves.)
I have BLI 2123 as my T-1. Has not run in a long time.

I like many beers. Any traditional Lager or Pilsner (pale lager) is good in my book. Just please don't put no f$#@ing fruit in my beer!

My favorite is/was National Premium, but I can't find it anywhere. The National Brewing Company originally brewed it, but they are long gone. A brewery on the eastern shore of Maryland painstakingly recreated the recipe and nailed it! But I can no longer find anyone that carries it. There is one place on their list I have not tried yet. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Canton.

For some reason I have been thinking of Miller. That is unlike me to want anything in particular, I seldom crave anything. Whatever I have is usually more than good enough. If I can find National Premium, I'll buy a case. But I still want a Miller. A 40oz in a brown bag will do!

I saw a Budweiser truck this afternoon. The icy bottle of beer pictured on the trailer looked good. I'll be happy with that. If they have Clydesdale Christmas packaging, I know I will buy that!

I'll end up buying too much beer. It would take me a year or more to finish a case. I end up cooking with it. It's great for steaming seafood and I boil pork in beer to make barbeque. We also use a little to roast pork or chicken in the oven. Beer never goes to waste in our house.

That makes two of us. What is the point of craft beers? I think beer has reached its perfection.

Well done! I'm happy to hear that; I know it was nagging at you because it would have been nagging at me.
I haven't had any alcohol for over a year...might get some for Thanksgiving, when the family is here.

1699993529567.jpeg
Best Yuengling makes...Second preference Yuengling Premium...Coal Craker Beer at its Finest!

They can keep the seasonal Hershey Chocolate Flavored Porter - what a travesty!

Good evening all. Son and grandson have gone home.
Dinner made and eaten. Stuffed mushrooms, potato wedges and mixed vegetables.
Did not see the train room. Must do so tomorrow.
Now take things easy this evening.

Locomotive cab of LMS Class 5 (Black 5) number 5000

LMS 5000.JPG

AFT's introduction to the world was at Delaware Park, in Stanton, DE in 1975. Train came up from the South behind 2 GG1s, and I had a crew with GP9 7000 at Stanton to switch and set the train up for display. What a pain in the butt. the 7000 derailed on the curves inside the racetrack, and Ross Rowland was a Real Jerk. He wanted to run the shifter...had to threaten the cops to get him out of the seat and off the engine. He thought he was in charge because he owned the 2100 at that time.
Next day, we had to come back with a crew, to take the engine to Wilmington Electric Locomotive shop, because it threw a tire. The shop had drop tables and the blacksmith shop replaced locomotive tires...GG1s had tires also. Brought it back the next day. The plan was for the 2100 to run North under its own power, but our Regional Manager required it be hauled in tow behind a pair of motors. (I think he was afraid that Rowland would try to run it over the Main Line....). Rode the motors from Stanton to Trenton.

Second encounter was September 1976, AFT was coming off the Reading at Belmont (Philadelphia), and running the Highline and Main to Aberdeen, MD under it's own power. (Ross Rowland not present - think he was Persona Non Grata on Conrail). Amtrak had just taken over the NEC operations, and I went with the property. We had an incident free trip from Belmont to Aberdeen, and a ride to Baltimore to get a train back to Philly. (Did I ever get dirty, even with coveralls and gloves.)
I have BLI 2123 as my T-1. Has not run in a long time.
I’ve had some long-distance interactions with Ross, probably 5+ years ago. He seems to have calmed down considerably, though he does still have a fairly large ego.

Hiawatha definitely but I instead may head 1st to Enginehouse Services up in Green Bay. I need to check when they open as I figure at least an hour in store and I’d like to be home while it’s still light out. I’m still a bit ticked at Lombard (less then 2 hours away depending on Chicagoland traffic) over the 70% sale that wasn’t and they are aware.

Just checked 2.5 hours to drive to GB and they open at 9:30.

The plan is leave at 7 arrive when Enginehouse opens, then breakfast at the Golden Basket, the UP Butler yards in Milwaukee and finally head to Hiawatha. Plenty of time to shop, eat and be home before sunset without rushing.

I can drive in the dark especially with multiple lanes, I just don’t want to if I can avoid it.
Tom- I might have to check out Enginehouse Services next time we go to the Railroad Museum. Just gotta convince the chauffeur/BH.

I have been informed, not asked, by the daughter to pick her up at 9am at Farm and Fleet because she’s dropping her vehicle off for new tires! Seems her hubby has a last minute client meeting in Chicago tomorrow! I take stuff like this in stride, not a big deal! But, payback will come……..

So my last minute scheduled day trip to Enginehouse Services, Butler Yard and Hiawatha on Wednesday is re-scheduled to Thursday. I will now add Walthers showroom to the mix. They are only open on Thursday and Fridays and are between Butler Yard and Hiawatha and only a little off the beaten path. Funny though, I checked my list! I really don’t need anything that’s not already on the Christmas list. I bet I will find something from each place

I have been informed, not asked, by the daughter to pick her up at 9am at Farm and Fleet because she’s dropping her vehicle off for new tires! Seems her hubby has a last minute client meeting in Chicago tomorrow! I take stuff like this in stride, not a big deal! But, payback will come……..

So my last minute scheduled day trip to Enginehouse Services, Butler Yard and Hiawatha on Wednesday is re-scheduled to Thursday. I will now add Walthers showroom to the mix. They are only open on Thursday and Fridays and are between Butler Yard and Hiawatha and only a little off the beaten path. Funny though, I checked my list! I really don’t need anything that’s not already on the Christmas list. I bet I will find something from each place
Well if you can't find yourself something you can get me something. 😇

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back