Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Happy Veterans Day, especially to all of you veterans. Cloudy and 49° here this fine morning. It will be in the mid-60's again today and into next week. Low 70's starting around Wednesday or Thursday.

Yesterday was spent mostly attacking the "honey do" list, which was OK since the ground was still wet most of the day. Today will be the normal household chores, dishwasher, laundry, supper. I should get some time outdoors in the sunshine after noon.

While I am a member of several other model railroad forums, this one is the only one that I interact with regularly. There's nothing wrong with them except for a few egotists, but I just don't have the time any more. The more trips that I take around he sun, the longer most tasks take me to do. :(

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did add a few more figures to Garner's Market.
Here's Mr Garner chasing the local feral cat away.
View attachment 176695
A couple more customers leaving.
View attachment 176696
I also sorted out the latest small bag of detail parts that I found Thursday.
View attachment 176697
All of those barrels came from a very old Campbell kit known as Seebold and Son's manufacturing. Those barrels are wooden. The kit was intended to be a barrel making shop, but I use it as a pallet building shop.
View attachment 176698
Mostly though, I attempted to clear out some space underneath the layout's lower deck. This is a task that I have unsuccessfully attempted many times.

Terry -

Is that like smoking a blunt???
Tom O - I guess it's congratulations on the new job. Are you going to have to attend all 16 events?
Chad - Thanks, I'll have to look there for the sensor.

Everyone have a great Saturday and a wonderful weekend.
Willie. I have no intentions to play 16 events. I did 8 this year only because I got talked into 2 more than I originally signed up for. This year I might attend all 16 but hopefully not. Depends on how confident I will be with the staff. I have a “staff” of 1 full timer (in Arizona) and 2 part timers in Wisconsin ( the daughter and her friend) I have the ok to get another full timer. This should be fun. I still have 1 real estate project that started in September that I need to be hands-on at times. The goal is to get everything organized in year 1. In year 2 is the time for adjustments and year 3 is time to talk either the daughter or her friend Sara into taking over full time. By the end of year 3 most of their youth hockey duties should be done

My expertise is production management and customer service. This is right up my alley

Last edited:
Good morning, all! A Happy Veteran's Day to all that served.
For myself: US Coast Guard 1964 to 1968
1st - Boot camp, Cape May, NJ. SR Seaman Recruit (This fulfilled a dream since I was 8 yrs. old)
2nd - US Coast Guard Cutter Point Caution, Galveston, TX. SA Seaman Apprentice
3rd - USCG Base Galveston SN, Seaman
4th - USCGC Gentian, a buoy tender, SNBM Seaman Bosun's Mate
5th - USCG Base Galveston BM3, Bosun Mate 3rd class. Assigned as Search & Rescue boat coxswain. (This was the best job I ever had)

Good morning, all! A Happy Veteran's Day to all that served.
For myself: US Coast Guard 1964 to 1968
1st - Boot camp, Cape May, NJ. SR Seaman Recruit (This fulfilled a dream since I was 8 yrs. old)
2nd - US Coast Guard Cutter Point Caution, Galveston, TX. SA Seaman Apprentice
3rd - USCG Base Galveston SN, Seaman
4th - USCGC Gentian, a buoy tender, SNBM Seaman Bosun's Mate
5th - USCG Base Galveston BM3, Bosun Mate 3rd class. Assigned as Search & Rescue boat coxswain. (This was the best job I ever had)
Happy vets day, never got off work for vets day.
My Military career:
11/14/66 Basic at Ft. Benning.
After Basic the Army turned me into a trained Killer:
Ft. Huachuca Az, Army cooking school.
Then off to Munich Ger, for a year, then hazardous duty
Ft. Riley Kansas until 11/13/66 and my military retirement.
Army loved me so much, they brought me back for a two week encore, at Ft Lewis Wash.

Happy Veterans Day
Happy Remembrance Day

Let's remember those currently serving, those amongst us who served, as well as those who served and have since passed on to that barracks in the sky.

I didn't serve but my dad, some of my uncles, and lots of other relations did, and I'm grateful for their examples and service. My brotehr (3 years younger) is in the AZ National Guard. I believe a Captain waiting for the Major paperwork to go through, or something like that. He is currently activated and has been running around in Europe with Special Forces troops in some sort of commander position (he is not natively SF) but is coming home any day. He can't tell me without having to shoot me on what he's been doing :) . He is in whatever they call public relations, normally, though he most recently was commander of the AZ NG headquarters unit (the one the generals and JAG officers belong to) and now this Europe thing. He also did a stint in Afghanistan (working with allies, especially British and German and Danish), and was at Guantanamo as well. He is an example to me. He had been enlisted, to start in Army Reserves in Mass, then a long time in the Utah NG as a helicopter mechanic, and had to muster out due to some health and weight issues. He spent a good amount of time overcoming that and getting back in in the last OCS class he could have gotten in before he would have been too old. His dedication and desire inspired me.

Afternoon All,

Got back around 8 am today. By the time everything was put away it was time for the annual HOA meeting (in the common area next to my house). After that lunch then upstairs to the train room. I cut out approximately 40 very small styrene "steel" plates for the NBW's on the cross beams and sprayed them black. I also received a resin 3d printed winch while I was gone that I cleaned, trimmed and painted a flat gray. I'll start putting the plates on tomorrow.

Happy Veterans Day

My history in the Navy:
Boot Camp San Diego
QM school Orlando (QM in the Navy is a navigation rating)
Sub School NLON CT.
USS Tinosa (SSN-606) NLON CT
USS Grayling (SSN-646) CHASN SC
NAF WASH DC (met and married MOH there)
USS Mariano G. Vallejo (SSBN-658 B) CHASN SC/KINGS BAY, GA
USS Swordfish (SSN-579) Pearl
COMSUBPAC N6 Pearl
USS San Francisco (SSN-711) Pearl
Sub Squadron 7 Pearl
Retirment as a QMCS (SS)

I have a lot to catch up on the forum.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thank You to all who served and are still serving in our Armed Forces.

Basic Training Aldershot UK 1977-78
26 Sqn. Lisburn. Northern Ireland 1978-1980
3 Armd Div. Duisburg. Germany '80-83
60 Sqn. Catterick UK '83-86 (Including two 6 month tours with UNICYP)
38 Sqn. Mulheim A.D. Ruhr. Germany '86-'89
Discharged Germany '89

Thank you all for writing out your Military history, It was enjoyable to read!

I will add mine:

I went to Basic training under the delayed entry program. I went to basic in between my junior and senior year of H.S.

Basic training: Ft Dix, NJ
AIT: Aberdeen Proving grounds, MD (fuel and electrical systems)
Track and wheeled vehicle recovery school: Camp Dodge IA

I served in the Army reserve for 8 YRS (6- active 2-inactive)

I was going to try my hand at using JMRI tomorrow but I won't get time as apart from being Remembrance Sunday it's also Diwali which my daughter (being Indian) also follows so I have to go and break fast with her and help distribute sweetmeats, samoosa's and other goodies which she has cooked, to her neighbours, then we can sit and have our own meal.

Well, went overboard with some of the freebies today. First year I could participate. I lost my original DD 214 in a flood in 1998. Didn't think I needed a copy as I was told there was a $25 fee to get a copy. Then in 2014 the state made a change to allow veteran status on driver's licenses. Last year, my SIL's brother was telling us about the vet discounts and meals. I found a website that allowed me to get a replacement copy at now cost. Had the designation added to my license and there I go.

Wife had fun going with me. We actually ate at Red Robin, where I got my meal free. Cheapest we have eaten out in a while.

Terry: sorry to hear about your issues. My location according to my ISP (AT&T), is a small town 120 miles east of where I really am located. My cellphone always wants to put me in Chicago.

I have no idea who this US Marine is, but I know a veteran when I see one. Standing for the National Anthem, as best he still can:
A Veteran.jpg

Good evening. Just got back from the show. Found a very interesting duo to keep building my 1940s coal train:
IMG_20231111_174617853.jpg

I'm guessing this one is Bowser. Next a "Fish belly" hopper of Delaware and Hudson. From what i read it was D&H which first experimented with this type of hopper, so the railroad name is very fitting:
IMG_20231111_174628072_HDR.jpg

It's all metal kit, i assume very old. Few parts for upcoming projects:
IMG_20231111_174643409.jpg

Two wheel truck will go into kit bashing a Western Maryland "Potomac" 4-8-4. Front pilot is to get the Pennsy purists fuming; it will go on a decapod. Early deliveries of PRR decapods in fact sported this bar frame pilots with a piece of sheet metal either bolted or welded on the bottom. Mine will have the long distance tender hooked up, so not really prototypical as it was only in 1940s that those huge tenders were mated with decapods, but hey it's my railroad. Kadee coupler gauge is the weird looking thing next to those. What i'm really happy about, is the huge proper size boiler for the I1 decapod i found on one stand:
IMG_20231111_174657204.jpg

Got it for $15 and these are very hard to find, since it was only in the last years of releasing the kits, that Bowser introduced those to replace too small Penn Line boiler used up to this time. With this boiler the nickname "Hippo" will be very fitting.
Happy Veterans day to all who apply.
USMC jan. 1994-jan. 1998. Paris Island--basic training, Jacksonville, NC-combat training, Millington Navy Base-helicopter mechanic training, USMC Tustin (closed now)-helicopter mechanic training. California was cool back then😃. USMC New River, NC (Jacksonville) fleet. HMT261, later HMT264. Military Police secondary MOS. Two deployments to Mediterranean Sea including Congo during second deployment. Interesting four years and i wouldn't change it. Good kick in the ass with life after high school😆

The drivers side door handle broke yesterday on my prestigious 2004 Ranger. Shocking that O'Riley had one in stock. Guess that I will be spending today watching U-Tube vid's trying to change it out ....
KARL, where are you when needed?
Sherril, I'm sorry but I have given up on Rangers, actually on all Dearborn's products. I had an 88 Ranger XLT , Oil leaking rust bucket with a crowded cab. I Had more room in my 83 S10! Then a 2003 S10 that I have handed down to son#4 still running strong with no signs of quitting. The paint may be fading but then body is "like a rock". My 2016 Colorado at 85k is going to be around for a while yet. Still looks and feels new.

I was raised on Fords, then at 18 I came home with a new Pontiac much to the chagrin of my parents and my next door neighbor Uncle who was a Ford technician. Never owned another one til Dad gave me his Ranger, but it didn't last long. Everything since has been GM.

Funny, son #3 his 1st car was a Jeep, then he has been Ford ever since (Totalling 3 of the last 4) He swears by em, I swear at them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back