Running Bear's November 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of my travels yesterday after stopping at the CP siding and taking pictures of the LORAM that I posted earlier....

I stopped at Peru, NY and had a nice view of the Adirondack mountain ranges from New York side of the western shores of Lake Champlain facing eastward to Vermont across the lake. The mountains were covered in snow looking fantastic! I love being up here!

20221119_154008.jpg
20221119_154011.jpg
20221119_154022.jpg
20221119_154025.jpg
20221119_154028.jpg
20221119_154030.jpg
20221119_154039.jpg

Attachments

• 20221119_154044.jpg
    20221119_154044.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 29
"The hobby is dying". Yes I have heard that for at least 30 years, but that's not what I see. When I go to the local train shows here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, at least 60% of the attendees appear to be under 65 years.

What about the under 30s? I am not saying the hobby is dying, but for it to truly not die, you need the younger generations to be actively in it. The under 30s, the under 20s...

In places like Japan it is almost a national hobby -- there are national HS model railroad competitions and lots and lots of stores carry model railroad items...

I stopped at Peru, NY and had a nice view of the Adirondack mountain ranges from New York side of the western shores of Lake Champlain facing eastward to Vermont across the lake. The mountains were covered in snow looking fantastic! I love being up here!
Well not me. The only thing good about the high altitude is a golf ball goes farther up there.
Swal

I looked at all the different shower units today and I like the Best Bath ones the best. Seems like a very high quality product. The only problem is they don't list any prices. Myself and some friends were on a golf vacation and went to diner where there were no prices on the menu. I didn't like it, not knowing how much it was all going to cost until after we ate.
Swal

Good Morning All. Clear and 30° this morning. Heading into a nice day with sunshine and very light winds from the south. Better day than yesterday when the temperature never got out of the 40's.

"The hobby is dying". Yes I have heard that for at least 30 years, but that's not what I see. When I go to the local train shows here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, at least 60% of the attendees appear to be under 65 years. What I don't see any more is female modelers. Yes, there are some moms bringing their kids, but I don't see them participating at the display layouts as much as I used to. The percentage is probably greater than 60%, but many parents are involved with their kids sports activities on the weekends when the shows are going on. They may be coming by later while I am doing home layout tours.

Thanks as always for the comments and reactions to my humble posts.

Yesterday out in the train shed, I made some more progress with the ground cover and completed the shared parking lot between the hamburger joint and the general store.
View attachment 156271
View attachment 156272View attachment 156273
Then I turned my attention to the containment berm around the tank at the ink company.
View attachment 156274View attachment 156275
This scene is coming together nicely.

Smudge - For my earth, I use latex paint that was matched to a swath of Model Master Light Earth paint by my local Home Depot. I am sure that you guys across the pond have similar home improvement stores over there. The "car park" ground cover is my own mix of two Woodland Scenics fine ballast colors, Gray and Light Gray. I use fine for roads and parking lots, while I use medium for track ballast. The grassy areas are Woodland Scenics fine ground foam, in this case Green Blend. In back along the railroad track I use some coarse ground foam for rougher areas.
Todd - Sorry that I can't make it up for Venison Stew this week. You're just too far away, and it's too damn cold there.
Dave B - The sign does indeed say ink, Drywell Inks is the name of the industry. There is now a containment berm around the tank as of yesterday. See above.
Mara - I have since seen additional pictures of that tractor and I will fabricate a seat for it, along with a steering wheel.

A lot of birthdays today. Today would have been the late Duane Allman's 76th, it is Joe Walsh's 75th, and an old heartthrob, Bo Derek is 66. On the political side, it would have been Robert Kennedy's 97th and it is Joe Biden's 80th.

Everyone have a great day.
EDIT: I needed to remember to hit "Post Reply" this morning.
I have a Fred & Red's kit here to build. Nice little building and an easy one. Judging from the cars in the parking lot, the food must be excellent. maybe you should find a '68 Camaro and put it in the parking lot. Guy Fieri doing a spot for "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. 😁

Morning all,

I'll take a Blue Plate Special with bacon and a big cup of coffee, PATY. Oh and leave the carafe, Thanks Francine.

28° and clear this fine morning, with a high in the mid-50's later.

Didn't get any further with my little engine or layout yesterday as the granddaughter went to help her uncle at the Knights of Columbus breakfast at church and when given a choice of staying with us or going shopping with his folk, the grandson decided to stay with us. So grandma put him to work getting the house setup for Christmas, so Because the boxes were too heavy and setting up the Christmas tree falls to me, I got roped in as well. He decided that we needed a train themed tree, so all the ornaments are from my 27 years of Hallmark Lionel ornaments. I apparently have nearly 150+ of them and most are on the tree. I set the Thanksgiving flag outside and will probably get to hanging the Christmas wreaths up outside either today or tomorrow as I get home early. I simply hand the wreaths on the garage and porch lights and replace the bulb with a screw-in socket and have 4 lite wreaths. I used to have a ton of lights I'd string, but as I've gotten older, I prefer the simplicity and no ladders.

Work beckons...BBL

Nooo, I'm referring to the kits from back in the 20s and 30s where ya build the wings and fuselage from sticks of balsa wood then cover it with a paper covering.
Those are still very much alive and well! I used to build them in the 1970's. They're easier now thanks to laser cut parts, but the stick and tissue construction is still around. I built many WW1 biplanes and a few WW-2 fighters. Rubber powered. Several only flew once. :oops: https://www.acsupplyco.com/aerospace/guillow/guillows-506-hawker-hurricane-model-airplane-kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back