Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on the tank car post, here's a pic with the trucks & wheels done:

For tank car modeling in general, Athearn's trusty old single dome tank car is pretty much a dead ringer for an SP tank car. Unfortunately they all suffer from a defect. Athearn used the same dome from their triple dome tank car, which means the dome on the standard tanker is too short. You can fix this by grabbing a couple of triple dome cars at a swap meet or wherever, and harvesting their domes. Cut the domes off with a razor saw, and with a little sanding and fitting you'll get the correct dome height, which looks like this:

A little Squadron putty and black paint and you're ready to go.

What an improvement by some quick surgrey with the razor saw.
Have you tried the Squadron Gray putty? That stuff beats the old green kind any day!

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 51° here in North Central Texas this morning. Continued nice fall weather in this part of the world. Perfect day to be outdoors doing something, but It's also grocery/beer trek day for the SFW household.

Two eggs over easy and a handful of bacon this morning Flo.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding the ranch scene yesterday; Patrick, Garry, Joe, Karl, Phil, Tom O, Sherrel, Guy, James, Walt, Chad, Curt, Gary, Hughie, Tom.

Yesterday out in the train shed, I started and almost completer a new structure. A very simple laser-cut wood shed from American Model Builders.
IMG_5023.JPG

There's three in this kit, I have built one before.
IMG_5022.JPG

Voila!
IMG_5024.JPG

Tomorrow, I will show you what I intend to do with it. It's part of my next project that's in an area that I featured last January.

Patrick - That's good news about your daughter and family. I have replaced some of the ceiling fans that I installed years ago, but I have one in the kitchen that gets used more than any other in the house that is now 40 years old, and still performs flawlessly.
Sherrel - You're getting awfully picky about the weather lately, first it's more rain, now it's an extra 10°. What's next?
Ken - I also wondered about that line in the Walther's instruction sheet about the decals. Never found any in my kit either.
Troy - I also do track first and follow up with ballasting and then scenery.
Phil - My goodness, you were up early this morning.

Everybody have a great day.

A question for the gang......
I'm looking at a Proto 2000 (#8325) Alco FA2 that the guy says is not DCC or DCC ready, was wondering what it would take to convert it to DCC.
Thanks.

A DCC ready locomotive will usually have either a eight or nine pin connector that a modeler can simply plug in the correct decoder in a DC model locomotive by simply lifting off and discarding the dummy plug and then installing the correct DCC decoder by plugging it in. This is where the term "Plug 'n Play" originated or the manufactures may use the term "DCC Ready" which has different meanings between manufactures, but DCC install is easy.

A Proto 2000 locomotive can have DCC installed, but isn't DCC ready (but can have a decoder) and will require more work on the modeler to install a decoder.

I don't know of a Proto 2K that can't have a decoder installed, but will not be "Plug 'n Play" and may require some soldiering of the motor and lighting leads to the decoder.

I have a bunch of Protos, both the earlier versions and 2K's that need decoders installed.

This information from TCS should guide you in the installation of your decoder. Follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Greg

Last edited:
Seeing all the wooden kits being assembled by the Forum members it brings back memories of when I built a wood Warren Truss bridge years ago. I started the kit when the GB Packers were having a bad season and I worked at the kitchen table on Sundays and sort of listened to the game or tried to watch the game on small television while I working on the kit.

Taking my time and did everything correctly from having a Homasote board as a mat to work on and covering the plans with waxed paper, then staining the ties and bridge parts with different color stains and gluing the Code 70 rails to the stained ties using Pliobond Glue.

Working slowly and carefully fitted the parts by sanding them where necessary. I used a white and yellow wood glue and was carefully not to disturb the parts while the glue harden. Over time and several Packer losses, the bridge started to take form. The bolt details were the hardest part of the bridge construction to carefully place and secure the tiny detail parts.

Finally the bridge was completed and I could handle the bridge since the wood glue firmly held the wooded bridge pieces in place.

The next Game Day came and I took the bridge to the layout and positioned the bridge over a creek that I designed especially for this bridge. I secured the bridge to the abutments with glue and it was finished and I waited for the first train to cross over the water.

The layout was near to the washer and drier and the next day Cathy did some wash and while folding some bath towels and one of the towels got caught on the bridge and pulled it from the abutments and the bridge fell to the floor in pieces.

Home from work and got the news of the bridge disaster. I went down to the layout and there in a shoe box was several months of work and the bridge was a pile of broken wooded pieces and twisted rails. Never will a train run over the bridge.

I since have dismantled the layout and my new layout has a home in the safety of its own room far from any washer or drier.

Greg

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 51° here in North Central Texas this morning. Continued nice fall weather in this part of the world. Perfect day to be outdoors doing something, but It's also grocery/beer trek day for the SFW household.

Two eggs over easy and a handful of bacon this morning Flo.

Thanks for the reactions and comments regarding the ranch scene yesterday; Patrick, Garry, Joe, Karl, Phil, Tom O, Sherrel, Guy, James, Walt, Chad, Curt, Gary, Hughie, Tom.

Yesterday out in the train shed, I started and almost completer a new structure. A very simple laser-cut wood shed from American Model Builders.
View attachment 120684
There's three in this kit, I have built one before.View attachment 120685
Voila!
View attachment 120686
Tomorrow, I will show you what I intend to do with it. It's part of my next project that's in an area that I featured last January.

Patrick - That's good news about your daughter and family. I have replaced some of the ceiling fans that I installed years ago, but I have one in the kitchen that gets used more than any other in the house that is now 40 years old, and still performs flawlessly.
Sherrel - You're getting awfully picky about the weather lately, first it's more rain, now it's an extra 10°. What's next?
Ken - I also wondered about that line in the Walther's instruction sheet about the decals. Never found any in my kit either.
Troy - I also do track first and follow up with ballasting and then scenery.
Phil - My goodness, you were up early this morning.

Everybody have a great day.
That kit looks like it's been waiting in line for a while! I remember those. In fact I remember that company when they first appeared. The ease of their kits and the peel & stick for windows & doors and such got lots of people into wood kits that might not have tried them otherwise

That kit looks like it's been waiting in line for a while! I remember those. In fact I remember that company when they first appeared. The ease of their kits and the peel & stick for windows & doors and such got lots of people into wood kits that might not have tried them otherwise
Yes it has been around my train shed since I built it (train shed) in 2011, and the first of the three sheds in the kit was built at least five years before that and used on the previous layout. It may have actually been the first laser-cut structure that I built. I always knew that eventually I would use the remaining two and the time has come to use one of them. It did hook me on laser-cut kits. I have built 42 of them since then.

BORIS-The melody sounds like an old vaudville song. but the words are new to me. Must be after my time in the army. 8/24/54- 8/23/56.

Phil

Phil:

Actually, the 3ID's connection to the song dates back to WW2, about the time the 3ID deployed to Sicily with Patton's 1st Army. (The patch I wore on Active Duty). The song was featured in the Movie Biography of Audie Murphy, the Army's most decorated soldier, during his service in the 3ID in WW2. Guess I have to bring you up to speed on thing 3 ID.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Survived the storm, turned out to be a whole lot of nothing. According to my rain gauge (pool level) we got about 2 inches of rain and little wind. It was nice with the rain and no leaks with the new roof. :) Today I ballasted the upper level track which took almost 5 hours. Tomorrow I'll clean the track and later get a haircut. I'm looking pretty shaggy. Saturday is lawn camp with the grandkids.

Greg- Although it was a accident it would be enough to make me say a few bad words.

Jerry- Great looking tank car.

Troy- If I understand what you are saying just do the cork the best you can then the ballast will cover imperfections.

Alan- Nice job on the SP tank car.

Joe- Nice photos.

Guy- Nice photo.

Willie- Nice looking shed. The 3 bottom supports are a nice touch.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Morning all...

Trying to be good and stay in for a week or so until the third wave gets under control. You're on your own for donuts.

Yes - I laid track this morning. Here are the first bits on the layout. Of course, it's the turnout ladder.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 6.53.07 AM.png

You'll note that I marked (green tape) the areas under the switches for NO GLUE.
Soldering was a learning curve. Too much solder crossed between diverging rails. Since I don't have any de-soldering braid, I had some nipping and filing to do on two of the joints.

My other project that needs to happen sooner is lighting. Picture an area with 2ft x 4ft drop-ceiling tiles - 13 ft wide (3.25 tiles across x 6 tiles deep). Down the center is some very crude "shop lights" of 2 bulb 4ft fluorescent tubes recessed behind the plastic diffuser panels. Basically, crappy soft lighting.

I had to bring more light in to see to solder.

I'm debating between adding LED hockey puck lighting surface mounted around the perimeter, OR adding track lighting. I love the idea of track lighting to highlight scenes... But I don't really want the work or the expense. I've already converted the rest of the basement to the hockey puck lights. They're cheap ($99 on Amazon for 12 of them) and easy to install (just a bit messy with removing then reinstalling the ceiling panels).

Thoughts?
Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 6.51.34 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back