Running Bear's November 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just riding through. Happy Veteran's Day to those that served and to those serving.
At 18.png

Good morning all! Batten down the hatches on the West coast, a significant storm on it's way, feet of snow forecast in the Cascades, up to 12" here in the basin @ 4200 ft with a predicted 70mph wind gusts. Not looking forward to those! Doing 13 degrees right now.
A breakfast burrito w/salsa and an oj please Flo.....
Sherrel, nice pic of the 2-8-0

Just got this beauty in the mail the other day.... I thought it was in the Oct. coffee shop with Alan, who had gotten a Tangent tank car (correct me if I'm wrong, I couldn't find the posts,) anyway, I like the looks of them and I didn't have a Tangent car, so I opted for this one.....
IMG_20201110_035432769.jpg

IMG_20201110_035331689.jpg

IMG_20201110_035306767.jpg

I love the detail on this thing, but those ugly a$$ trip pin levers have to go, I just never did care for them.......

EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Morning all!

Wife is out of yarn, so I have to do a quick extraction run to the craft store this morning. Unfortunately, that's the store where I see more anti-maskers than any other. BUT, I also get to go down the paint and modeling aisles. I'll see what falls into my shopping basket while I'm there.

Got most of the cork laid on the half(ish) of the layout that was ready for it. A few more stub pieces to put in. And I know I'm extending one spur line around Misty Valley, but I need to build a bump-out in the benchwork to do so (Lower right of image).

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 6.21.25 AM.png

The main reason I was putting it off was dealing with three switches in tight places. I went wider than I should have to install some of the cork, but I added some back and forth wiggle room to move the switches and not have them too close together.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 6.23.12 AM.png

I may have screwed up in one spot. Not sure if I can add a cork wedge into the split, and get the switch another inch away from the tunnel portal. Unfortunately, all I've found are Peco's large radius turnouts. the smaller ones seem to be all across the pond waiting on the slow boats from London.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 6.24.26 AM.png

Good morning all! Batten down the hatches on the West coast, a significant storm on it's way, feet of snow forecast in the Cascades, up to 12" here in the basin @ 4200 ft with a predicted 70mph wind gusts. Not looking forward to those! Doing 13 degrees right now.
A breakfast burrito w/salsa and an oj please Flo.....
Sherrel, nice pic of the 2-8-0

Just got this beauty in the mail the other day.... I thought it was in the Oct. coffee shop with Alan, who had gotten a Tangent tank car (correct me if I'm wrong, I couldn't find the posts,) anyway, I like the looks of them and I didn't have a Tangent car, so I opted for this one.....
View attachment 120671
View attachment 120672
View attachment 120673
I love the detail on this thing, but those ugly a$$ trip pin levers have to go, I just never did care for them.......

EVERYBODY HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Yep, that was me! I have quite a few of the Tangent tank car offerings. Tank cars can be a hobby within the hobby depending on the industries on your layout. Chemicals, bulk food items (corn syrup, etc.) petroleum products, asphalt, and so on! Construction can be riveted, welded, insulated, heated, they've done them almost all. I remove my Kadee trip pins as well. I just pull the knuckle open as far as possible and hit it with the Dremel cut off wheel. Watch the glad hand!

If you want to Kick the appearance up a notch, paint the trucks weathered black, the wheels the same or oily black, and if you don't like or want to weather just flat coat the car to kill the shine. Microscale makes a nice set of Hazardous material placards so you can show the car as loaded. It's set # 87-975 http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2...arch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=
This is a perfect car to serve a small oil dealer, as different products could be loaded in the three compartments. Be careful! These things are addictive!

Following up on the tank car post, here's a pic with the trucks & wheels done:
Tank Car 2.jpg

For tank car modeling in general, Athearn's trusty old single dome tank car is pretty much a dead ringer for an SP tank car. Unfortunately they all suffer from a defect. Athearn used the same dome from their triple dome tank car, which means the dome on the standard tanker is too short. You can fix this by grabbing a couple of triple dome cars at a swap meet or wherever, and harvesting their domes. Cut the domes off with a razor saw, and with a little sanding and fitting you'll get the correct dome height, which looks like this:
Tank Car 1.jpg

A little Squadron putty and black paint and you're ready to go.

I'm looking at a Proto 2000 (#8325) Alco FA2 that the guy says is not DCC or DCC ready, was wondering what it would take to convert it to DCC.
Thanks.
Check out the TCS web site...they have instructions on line for numerous conversions of pre DCC locos. Of course, they promote their products which are quite good, incidentally, but you can always substitute the decoder of your choice.

ust got this beauty in the mail the other day..

I love Tangent tank cars...Acid...caustic soda...general service and chlorine. I'm building quite a fleet myself.

BORIS- You lose that bet. BUT, still remember "JODIE"
One morning while staying in a Courtyard, in Savannah that was located adjacent to the main gate of Hunter Army Airfield, we were awakened at 0600 by Reveille followed by The Dogface Soldier. Now that will start your day. ;) The 3ID was my oldest sons first duty assignment after AIT. One of the pre-requisites of Orientation at Ft. Stewart was learning and memorizing the Dogface Soldier song.
Phil, I do remember JODIE, from BCT cadence

EB MU at North Rahwy 1982.jpg

Eastbound Jersey Arrow MU arriving at North Rahway in 1982. On "A" Track.
EB Coaster at North Rahway 1982.jpg

Eastbound off the Coast Line, on #1 at North Rahway in 1982.

Good Morning; and a fine north country morning it is, indeed. Might be about a half inch of snow outside; that's it! Most all of the snow so far has fallen in areas south. I don't recall hearing from Chet yesterday, but, he's likely too busy digging himself out still. - Here in my patch of the boreal forest, it's 20°F with 0% chance of precipitation, according to the guessers.

This is perfect weather to get out and do some ice-fishing! I suppose I'll talk the wife into going out and giving it a go, since we are very nearly under lockdown again for the second wave. She has been whining and complaining with boredom, so it will be good to get out into the fresh air.

I've heard that our town now has 20+ cases of the plague, where we had none 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, we tried to avoid others while we stocked up on a months worth of groceries. I threw in an extra 24 roll pack of paper, just in case it gets hard to get again. The failure of many others to wear a mask was noticeable and disappointing.

A couple of fried eggs-n-beef with onions and mustard on toast, along with a coffee, please! I'll probably only have to load up the hand ice-auger, and not the motorized version. I don't expect the ice is 3' thick, not yet anyway.

Seems like it's starting to be a tank car day, so here's a photo of the real thing from last month:
Tank_Prox 64427_64430_10-31-2020.jpg

Those cars are sitting on the pulp-mill siding, and carry the sodium hydroxide DOT placard.

Have a good one! - I'll try to get a good photo of the wife pulling me out of the lake after I break through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back