Running Bear's Mid-June Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karl - You almost made my heart go into Afib again with that auto insurance! That is even higher than CA. rates! Happy with the explanation. Nice photo of the caboose there!

KriegslokBR52

You have to give me a short handle - say like Bubba .... Louie ... Sam!
I would like to comment to you, but , I'm sorry, I cannot pronounce your name there - let alone spell it?
Really like the photos you have put up for us.
Well i was born and raised in Poland, so my name is Maciek (try:Mah-chek) not sure how to write this for easy pronunciation.

I always thought Billy Gibbons used a Gibson SG. Like my guitar. I was watching ACDC last night on AXS TV and their lead guitarist (I forgot his name) use a SG.
Swal

View attachment 170344
@NYC_George Here's my daily driver. I gave all the good ones to my son.
IMG_2205.JPG

LOL -- You got me there - I'll go with Bubba!
No, seriously - welcome to the forum and I will try to remember Maciek - thanks.
My next door neighbor has a g-son named Malick (my spelling).
We could do an Americanism, and call him Mac

Americans love to shorten big words.

Except for WalMart... there is a segment of the population that refers to it as "WalMarts" - I always ask my sister (when she says she's at WalMarts) how many can she visit at once? Are they stacked? Next to each other? Or did she clone herself?

Except for WalMart... there is a segment of the population that refers to it as "WalMarts" - I always ask my sister (when she says she's at WalMarts) how many can she visit at once? Are they stacked? Next to each other? Or did she clone herself?
Funny because i reffer to WalMart as "Wally World";)

Here's my daily driver. I gave all the good ones to my son.
Truckdad my first real guitar was a Gibson SG that I bought in 1967. I ended up giving that to my cousin after my band years were over. I bought the SG I have now for $900.00 about 4 years ago. I got use to the wider neck SG's have then fender's guitars. I talked to my wife about moving to FL today. If we ever move, I'll be spending more time with my guitar then model railroading because of the space a model RR requires.
Swal

Ok, the answer to the quiz is "DPU," as in today's Distributed Power Units. Typically spliced mid-train, and with a single unit or two pushing at the end. DPU's are more common in the west, and are almost a fixture on long and heavy trains.

The EMD dash two's, like these SD40-2 snoots were the first line to sport "plug-and-play" circuit boards for various locomotive functions, which reduced maintanence costs and increased up-time. The multi-unit remote control system which came into use then was a rudimentary form of "Locotrol," and while the circuit board systems were the new norm, Locotrol still took up enough space that the short hoods were extended to become the snoots. Not exactly laptop PC size, nor even floor standing PC size...then.

I don't think they still sported any vacuum tubes, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they actually did. :D

--------------

This is Willie's PM answer to me in its entirety, and you'll note he did not give away the game--the answer is in his first sentence:

ATSF had 40 SD40-2's with the 123" snoot noses that housed "Locotrol" equipment, an early forerunner of DPU systems. The #'s were 5020-5027 (delivered in 1977), and 5109-5140 (delivered in 1980). Even #'s were master units and odd #'s were slave units. Thus #5128 (which is one of my pictures re-posted) is a master unit. Some sources erroneously say that they were 118", but that was true only for SP and SSW units. All ATSF units were 123". A normal SD40-2 was 88".

---------------

My only (very small) quibble with Willie's normal short hood length was that some very early SD40-2s--specifically the D&RGWs earlies SD40T-2s (and probably some others too)--were delivered with 81" noses, but 88" did later become standard, quite true. Rio Grande never did buy any snoots themselves.

D&RGW did have a somewhat closer-than-normal experimental relationship with SP, which dated all the way back to the purchase of their three first generation Krauss-Maffei units (or even further), but those were sold to SP after only two or three years. Whether Rio Grande ever borrowed some of SP's snoots to see how well they worked for them is an open question for me, although I'm sure someone knows.

UP also employed snoots and Locotrol to some degree, and I do not know how many units they tried and then kept as Locotrol sets or not, but I have the idea the experiment on UP was somewhat short-lived. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I THINK DPU's today are still described as sporting Locotrol, but it's a much more compact system now, I'm sure. For all I know all the units distributed in a train today can be controlled with a $5 app you can buy at the Apple or Google store. Nothing would surprise me, although security would obviously be a problem now too. It wasn't much back then. I imagine Ken would know.

------------

I'll come up with another brain-teaser at some point, and in the mean time feel free to toss up one of your own.

Last edited:
Something I saw at the UP Roseville yard this morning. View attachment 170374View attachment 170375
There is another preserved SP oil-fired steamer in the park in Monterey CA. The same park which has the lake with the paddle boats.

Don't know about today, but fifteen odd years back kids could still climb all over the thing, without restriction, and they did.

Last edited:
Ok, the answer to the quiz is "DPU," as in today's Distributed Power Units. Typically spliced mid-train, and with a single unit or two pushing at the end. DPU's are more common in the west, and are almost a fixture on long and heavy trains.

The EMD dash two's, like these SD40-2 snoots were the first line to sport "plug-and-play" circuit boards for various locomotive functions, which reduced maintanence costs and increased up-time. The multi-unit remote control system which came into use then was a rudimentary form of "Locotrol," and while the circuit board systems were the new norm, Locotrol still took up enough space that the short hoods were extended to become the snoots. Not exactly laptop PC size, nor even floor standing PC size...then.

I don't think they still sported any vacuum tubes, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they actually did. :D

--------------

This is Willie's PM answer to me in its entirety, and you'll note he did not give away the game--the answer is in his first sentence:

ATSF had 40 SD40-2's with the 123" snoot noses that housed "Locotrol" equipment, an early forerunner of DPU systems. The #'s were 5020-5027 (delivered in 1977), and 5109-5140 (delivered in 1980). Even #'s were master units and odd #'s were slave units. Thus #5128 (which is one of my pictures re-posted) is a master unit. Some sources erroneously say that they were 118", but that was true only for SP and SSW units. All ATSF units were 123". A normal SD40-2 was 88".

---------------

My only (very small) quibble with Willie's normal short hood length was that some very early SD40-2s--specifically the D&RGWs SD40T-2s (and probably some others too)--were delivered with 81" noses, but 88" did later become standard, quite true. Rio Grande never did buy any snoots themselves.

D&RGW did have a somewhat closer-than-normal experimental relationship with SP, which dated all the way to the purchase of their three first generation Krauss-Maffei units, or even further, but those were sold to SP after only two or three years. Whether Rio Grande ever borrowed some of SP's snoots to see how well they worked for them is an open question for me, although I'm sure someone knows.

UP also employed snoots and Locotrol to some degree, and I do not know how many units they tried and then kept as Locotrol sets or not, but I have the idea the experiment on UP was somewhat short-lived. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I THINK DPU's today are still described as sporting Locotrol, but it's a much more compact system now, I'm sure. For all I know all the units distributed in a train today can be controlled with a $5 app you can buy at the Apple or Google store. Nothing would surprise me, although security would obviously be a problem now too. It wasn't much back then. I imagine Ken would know.

------------

I'll come up with another brain-teaser at some point, and in the mean time feel free to toss up one of your own.
Here's an even earlier version. In this instance, the radio gear filled a dedicated boxcar-sized piece of rolling stock:
6a1ad4e9e50085347d9f08cb5908faa5.jpg

We refer to Walmart as never go in there!

Good evening, folks!

We will be leaving for the coast very early in the morning. It's gonna be a tricky ride until we get out of Alberta.

There was all those fires scorching the earth for all of spring.
Then it's been raining or snowing 120-150mm of the wet stuff for the past two days. There are reports of flooding between us and the BC border.
These photos were taken today on highway 40, which is in the direction we need to go:
Highway40_06-19-2023 (1).jpg
Highway40_06-19-2023 (2).jpg

Those arn't my photos, but I expect to get my own tomorrow.
The town of Edson, which was evacuated twice for the fires, is facing another evacuation due to flooding. We'll pass through Edson within 1hr of starting our trip tomorrow. As far as I know the highway is still open. If the road is closed, we'll head south and take the long route. Need to make that ferry, as it's on reservation.

The good news is, we're supposed to be getting nice weather next week. As it is, though, I'm very happy my house is on a hill with a couple hundred feet of sand under it. We will never face a flood. Down in the valley where I take my train photos is a different story.

Couldn't sleep, so I just thought I'd come in and make a post. I'm not bringing a computer on the trip. See ya in a couple of weeks.

Good night! PS - Who knew God hates Alberta!

Now before you gasp at the insurance, remember there is an 18 almost 19 year old on our policy with 3 fully insured vehicles, all 4wd. The 4th vehicle , my little red "toy" only cost $300.00 a year to insure through Hagerty, with a 2,000 mile cap on miles and only me and the wife to drive it. Once he's done college and working, he can get his own insurance.

Yeah. we pay here in Utah every 6 months. Mine is due this week and is $200 more than last time at $20xx! We too have a 20 year old young man (got his license at 17). We were about $750 every 6 months for the wife and me with 2 cars (VW and Audi) until we added him and it about doubled. Then this past year its been jumping up. Went from $15xx or $16xx to $18xx last time and now $20xx. (The xx are because I forget the exact amounts). I'm calling them to ask why tomorrow. Last time I called it miraculously was re-calculated and went down a little.

We do have $1M liability* $500k property on our policies and a third car now with my son (a 2007 Honda Fit we got from my dad when he stopped driving). But for both cars the wife and I paid about $750 plus or minus with the $1M liability until we added my son to the policy. When we first got the policy with the $1M it was under $400 but the cars weren't quite as nice and it slowly over about 5-6 years rose up to $7xx.

* why $1M liability? At least in Utah, you can't have uninsured/under-insured coverage that is higher than your own liability. After my parents were hit but an idiot and almost killed back in 2003, I had power of attorney and ran their affairs. My dad was in the ICU for 30 days, almost dying a few times (they told us to come in just in case) and then spent a few weeks at in-patient recovery and rehab and a long time with out-patient rehab. The doctor was not sure he'd ever be in his right mind again after being sedated for 39 days and taking a few weeks to shake that off. My mom broke er neck and had to have it fused -- she was life flighted from the initial hospital to a bigger hospital due to her internal injuries and broken neck. She was in the hospital for a while and then needed 6 months recovery IIRC, staying at her sisters with hospital bed etc. As I said, I took care of their affairs after this happened. The guy who hit them had the basic policy that Utah required, which at the time was $25k/$50k ($25k per person, $50k per accident maximums). Luckily he was not driving his own truck so the owner's insurance was also on the hook, but it was also just the minimum $25k/$50k. The guy didn't have any real assets either so suing and getting a judgement would have not been of much use. They got their settlement and money to help them in the future with issues and problems that would come from the accident from their own policy's underinsured coverage, which was $100/$300. From that I learned that you want as much underinsured/uninsured coverage as possible which means you have to cover yourself for that same amount in your own liability. I originally upped mine from $300k (straight) to $500k (straight = personal and property) but then when I asked about $1M coverage, the price was like $15 more every 6 months. I did have to answer a ton of questions so they could make sure I was not trying to pull a scam but once I explained my parents' accident they approved that coverage and I've had it since. I've gotten $500k quotes since as a comparison and it doesn't save that much. The small extra cost is worth the peace of mind of knowing that if something bad were to happen to us at the fault of someone else we'd be covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back