Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning to my friends of the interwebs. 71° and cloudy(ssposed to hit double 7’s today) in the heart of North Central Wisconsin. Got cardiology & pulmonary docs on the agenda for today. May or may not have time in the train room after we get home.
Flo- a couple of Mel’s famous blueberry pancakes, along with a side of scrapple and some oj & a cuppa black joe to wash it down, PATY.
Troy- the wife’s “hobby” is also her side business. She makes ornaments from quilt fabric & styrofoam balls.
Tom O- farmers markets in Marshfield haven’t opened yet. Festival’s is supposed to at the end of May(Memorial Day weekend) & the one at Pick N Save is scheduled to open on Flag Day. MOH & I might set up at table at the PNS market, since Tuesday is one of our days off.

Remember when we went to the Lizard place in South Dakota? Forgotten that we had this shipped to home. Found the box a few minutes ago and thought that y'all might enjoy. Sandstone approx 11x7x.5
SD_Sandstone.jpg

This is the second one kinda like this, t'other came from Southern Utah, or Northern New Mexico. Can pix that if anybody is interested.

Remember when we went to the Lizard place in South Dakota? Forgotten that we had this shipped to home. Found the box a few minutes ago and thought that y'all might enjoy. Sandstone approx 11x7x.5
View attachment 145737

This is the second one kinda like this, t'other came from Southern Utah, or Northern New Mexico. Can pix that if anybody is interested.
One of those things, ya just had to have.

Good morning to my friends of the interwebs. 71° and cloudy(ssposed to hit double 7’s today) in the heart of North Central Wisconsin. Got cardiology & pulmonary docs on the agenda for today. May or may not have time in the train room after we get home.
Flo- a couple of Mel’s famous blueberry pancakes, along with a side of scrapple and some oj & a cuppa black joe to wash it down, PATY.
Troy- the wife’s “hobby” is also her side business. She makes ornaments from quilt fabric & styrofoam balls.
Tom O- farmers markets in Marshfield haven’t opened yet. Festival’s is supposed to at the end of May(Memorial Day weekend) & the one at Pick N Save is scheduled to open on Flag Day. MOH & I might set up at table at the PNS market, since Tuesday is one of our days off.
Mike

the Farmers Market around the Capital building grounds is the largest farmers only market in the USA. No crafts and it is a spectacle. 330 vendors that think their product is worth the price in gold. It’s too crowded after 8 years of going there 1st every Saturday morning from 5/1 to 11/1. They claim 15-20 thousand on any given Saturday, weather be damned. Get there at 7:15m and you can watch what seems like all the Chefs in Madison buying the produce, quite a sight and great negotiation to be witnessed. General public cannot bargain. The vendors laugh at you, buy or not they don’t care. On a Badger football Saturday, forget it, even worst crowds. The traffic pattern is counterclock wise or you can walked over. It’s is crazy and used to be fun.

We now hit 2 Farmers Markets on the west side of Madison that have not fully recovered from the Covid experience. The Capital has recovered which is why we dropped it, maybe even more crowded now that it’s back before Covid.

Hope they figure out your issues. Remember doctors are practicing.

TomO

edit. I remember grabbing a Amish pie at the Pick and Save farmers market

Last edited:
View attachment 145737

Nice, which wall does that go on then ?

I once spray paint3d a squirrel after we trapped him. I didn’t believe the guys at work who said they find their way back. Took him about a mile away and 2 days later he was still in orange spray paint and easy to spot back in the yard. Per the internet needed to remove them by miles so often in the morning there were 3 or 4 traps in the trunk of the car and they were off loaded in the parking lot at work, 32 miles away in Marshfield where MikeinHubCity now lives.

Those damn things destroyed siding on the house and my drop ceiling in the lower half of the basement. Once they got into the living room and destroyed all wood trim including the sliding patio doors about 6-8 inch up from the floor and nothing covered by insurance. We had to reroof and reside the house due to the damage. I wasn’t good enough with a 22 to hit them or I would have.

I have trapped woodchucks and squirrels but never got a racoon. If it was legal or not I never checked.

Good afternoon,

getting a late lunch today, met a contractor in the field to assess a gravel extraction project for the County. I always find it interesting talking with local contractors, the guys that get the work done. It keeps me grounded that behind every road, bridge, and construction project is a group of people with their sleeves rolled up and dirt under the finger nails.

Willie - that is some beautiful lettuce. We just mowed lawn for the first time this spring. Looking forward to the new build as well!

Todd - you are very fortunate with your local government setup there. I work in County govt. and constantly getting an earfull about our bureaucracy, 99% of which I have nothing to do with.

A favorite photo from my archives, still have the loco which is very dependable:

clear creek 013.JPG

more later, Dave

I once had a squirrel getting into the house (down the chimney I believe). I trapped it and took it outside maybe a few hundred yards and let it go. It was back a day or two later. This time I drove it to the next city over, about 9 miles, and let it go in the parking lot of a strip mall (there were woods nearby). Last I saw of it. And last one to get in the house. This was in NH about 25 years ago.

Those damn things destroyed siding on the house and my drop ceiling in the lower half of the basement. Once they got into the living room and destroyed all wood trim including the sliding patio doors about 6-8 inch up from the floor and nothing covered by insurance. We had to reroof and reside the house due to the damage. I wasn’t good enough with a 22 to hit them or I would have.
Can you say: 10ga? Or at least a 22 with bird shot; don't go far but does some damage to live things.

Afternoon All,

Started with some chores then after lunch I started building a raised area from wood. I'll finish the platform tomorrow and show a photo. I am already receiving instructions for my upcoming GI procedure in AUGUST:confused:.

Todd- You may not want to dig that up...It may be Jimmy Hoffa's grave! Very cool sandstone.

Troy- Nice painting of the game pieces.

IB Ken- Very nice layout shot. Is that static grass on the siding track? If so, can you still run an engine on it?

Willie- Nice looking Romaine. I thought Crawfish only lived in water.

Jeff- There is a small old RR site/museum that is about a 30-minute walk from the Holiday Inn on the west side of town. From there we walked to several of the city's squares. It was a nice afternoon outing.

Dave- Nice little loco.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thank you for the great tips Willie, we have had them for two weeks now and still no eggs…..they might end up on the grill sooner than they expect…..just kidding
If no eggs, then they are probably not yet pol point of lay, and a little young, or you have been done and given cockerels - which I doubt. give them a liittle while, but if you are ‘renting’ consider complaining if they were sold as laying birds.

Willie & Curt(as well as any others I may have missed)- thanks for the well wishes. Cardiologist said everything looks fine. Took SWMBO to Olive Garden(nearest Italianesque restaurant in this neck of the woods) for lunch between appointments. Pulmonary NP wants me to have a PET scan done, to see if the more invasive biopsy is warranted. She said that the nodule(which has doubled in size since 7 years ago) shows smooth sides & not jagged, so that could be a sign of just a benign mass of cells.
Mike

the Farmers Market around the Capital building grounds is the largest farmers only market in the USA.
Hope they figure out your issues. Remember doctors are practicing.

TomO
Tom O- remember, lawyers are practicing yet, too. Does that rural dating site have a booth at the market? 😂😂

Willie & Curt(as well as any others I may have missed)- thanks for the well wishes. Cardiologist said everything looks fine. Took SWMBO to Olive Garden(nearest Italianesque restaurant in this neck of the woods) for lunch between appointments. Pulmonary NP wants me to have a PET scan done, to see if the more invasive biopsy is warranted. She said that the nodule(which has doubled in size since 7 years ago) shows smooth sides & not jagged, so that could be a sign of just a benign mass of cells.

Tom O- remember, lawyers are practicing yet, too. Does that rural dating site have a booth at the market? 😂😂

Italian food in Marathon County always was sketchy except for 2 places. Carmelo’s in Rib Mountain at the entrance road leading to the Granite Peak ski hill in the clubhouse of the public golf course. The Olivia’s create great Italian food worthy of my grandmother and mom’s. We were there 7/2021. The other was in Schofield, Iozzo’s Italian. For years we alternated monthly between the 2. Never found anything in Marshfield worth returning to for Italian food

The last few years while we were still there we started going to Ciao in downtown Wausau. Excellent with iffy service and that was years before the Covid issues. The food then was great enough to ignore the service.

We are still looking for a good Italian food place in the madison area that doesn’t cost 125 for 2 without alcohol. Lots of great places but very expensive and require reservations. I dislike reservations

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back