Running Bear's May 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there internet people, and all mourning doves...

I wanted to get a few pics of mama-bird... got one, then spooked her with the second angle.

View attachment 145718

Then she spooked and flew away. Still only two eggs in the nest. The interwebz tell us that's what they do. 2 eggs.

Mama bird flew back, but I was sitting about 7 feet to the right of the nest.

She wasn't getting back on the nest if I was out there. So I went inside to refill the iced tea.... took her about two minutes of hopping around on the fence to finally jump back in the nest.

Now she's popped her head up and staring at me... giving me the evil-stink-eye

I told her I don't eat eggs

View attachment 145719
But did you admit to eating them in cake….I think I saw her giving you that….liar liar pants on fire look….lmao

sorry couldn’t resist…..giggles

Good Morning!
27F this morning. 10 minutes ago, I stepped outside in my PJ's to take this street photo in front of the house:
View attachment 145709

That's not going to last long. We're supposed to be finally getting some warm air soon.
Anyway, I need to do some paper work and then get out there to build a fence. Just checking in for a coffee, and I'm outta here.
Have a good one!
My god all the plants I gave outside would need little winter coats, and they would still kick their feet up in the air!

Afternoon All,

Daughter called us last night and told us she had Covid. She's had the shots. Say's that she just has cold type symptoms as this point. We dropped off some test kits and masks at her front door today. I cancelled the retirement party tonight and operating session on Saturday. There was one person that was coming that has fragile health. I did some experimenting with elevation in the miner's village today, but not sure about it.

We used to get a pair of small raccoons in our garbage all the time (even with the lid bungie corded down). I guess they could get in but not out. They are probably adults now and don't come by.

Joe- Insurance companies these days don't even try to act like they care.

Karl- Fingers crossed.

TomO- I hope the damage isn't too much.

Sherrel- Good luck tomorrow.

Todd- Good luck with the hearing aids.

Willie- Nice improvements on the house.

Hughie- Nice layout shot.

Steve- I haven't heard too many good things about the new throttle. I think they followed the example of Microsoft and did not test it enough before release.

Mike- I hope things go well with your testing.

Dave- Nice layout photo.

Troy- That bird is keeping tabs on you! :D

I hope everyone has a good night.

Raccoons... I awoke a couple of days ago about 90 minutes before sunrise, and got up to let our dog out. Usually, any raccoon nearby will beat a hasty retreat, but not this morning... Fat bastard stood up on its hind legs and got all "big"... stopped my dog in its tracks before the coon turned and slowly walked into the woods.

Around here, it is against the law to "relocate" a racoon. If you trap one, your only choices are to let it go, or kill it humanely. So I just snipe them with a scoped Ruger 77/22 with an old SWR Warlock screwed onto the muzzle to keep from waking my neighbors. :cool:

Good Morning All. Clear and a warm humid 75° this morning. Hopefully returning to the 60's overnight by tomorrow. Even though it only got up to 90° here yesterday, it has been unseasonably warm for this time of year, especially at night. While the wind abated some overnight, 10 mph, it will be back soon.

I have begun to put up my tomato cages, and there are little tomatoes everywhere. But that will cease soon as a tomato flower will not pollinate if the nighttime temperatures stay above 70° for very long. Hopefully a long enough cooler spell is coming up this week to reverse that. The heat sensitive veggies like spinach and red lettuce have bolted and gone to seed, my Romaine Lettuce is still holding on. This is the first year that I have ever grown that variety.

Thanks again today for the likes and comments on my lowly project yesterday; Jaz, Moermusic, Hughie, Sherrel, Karl, Dave B, James, Troy, Smudge, Rick, Guy, Joe, Patrick.

I did continue my rehab of the structure yesterday out in the train shed. After drilling a hole in the roof, I added a vent pipe extension to the sewer line.
View attachment 145706
I painted both handrails black and added ground foam in all of the non-sidewalk areas.
View attachment 145707
View attachment 145708
Next, I'll add some shrubbery and some minor weathering.

Smudge - While it works for you, there's no way I am going to apply painters tape to over 1300' x 2 rails when I add glue to ballast. That's 800m in your world!
Tom O - Glad to read that the two procedures went off well. That lunch bill is outrageous, especially considering no alcohol! I have the same problem with Cardinals here.
Ken (D&J) - I find that most people do not read their estimated tax statements until after the appeal date! I received mine Friday and have two weeks to file an appeal. Mine actually went down by $23. Not that it matters much to me, as property taxes in Texas are frozen when the homeowner reaches age 65, which my wife did in 2015. One of my brothers turns 65 in December 2022. He got a retroactive refund on his 2021 property taxes that he paid in January!
Sherrel - Good Luck.

National Shrimp Day today. I believe that I have a bunch in the freezer.
Everyone have a great day.
Yeah, I didn't think anyone with as large a pike as yourself would, take you weeks to do half of your's, but on a smaller scale it would be ok.
Love your structures, love seeing how you do the sidewalks and shrubbery, need to "borrow" your method I think.

Well, howdy there internet people, and all mourning doves...

I wanted to get a few pics of mama-bird... got one, then spooked her with the second angle.

View attachment 145718

Then she spooked and flew away. Still only two eggs in the nest. The interwebz tell us that's what they do. 2 eggs.

Mama bird flew back, but I was sitting about 7 feet to the right of the nest.

She wasn't getting back on the nest if I was out there. So I went inside to refill the iced tea.... took her about two minutes of hopping around on the fence to finally jump back in the nest.

Now she's popped her head up and staring at me... giving me the evil-stink-eye

I told her I don't eat eggs

View attachment 145719
We had one of these nesting in our carport, however in the great winds of last week, the nest blew down and they moved to a different spot.

Wife did report 5 Baltimore orioles at our sunflower feeder this morning!

Raccoons... I awoke a couple of days ago about 90 minutes before sunrise, and got up to let our dog out. Usually, any raccoon nearby will beat a hasty retreat, but not this morning... Fat bastard stood up on its hind legs and got all "big"... stopped my dog in its tracks before the coon turned and slowly walked into the woods.

Around here, it is against the law to "relocate" a racoon. If you trap one, your only choices are to let it go, or kill it humanely. So I just snipe them with a scoped Ruger 77/22 with an old SWR Warlock screwed onto the muzzle to keep from waking my neighbors. :cool:
I had a similar problem with the grey squirrel, I found 2 babies called the vet to see if I could turn them in, they said there a pest and would be euthanised immediately if bought in, and I would be breaking the law to let them go, while I was getting up the courage, one died and one escaped. There are a pain nicking the nuts off my nut trees. But the poor babies.

In Virginia it's illegal to trap then transport elsewhere for release.
I had a sever squirrel problem at my previous house in Stafford, VA. I used a Have a Heart trap to capture them then drown them in a can of water. I would toss em out on the side lawn for the carrion to take away.

Thank you for the great tips Willie, we have had them for two weeks now and still no eggs…..they might end up on the grill sooner than they expect…..just kidding
Gary: Not to worry as it takes them time to get used to new surroundings. How old were they when you got them? If under a year, don't expect to much to soon. Once eggs get in the shute, watch out as you will have eggs everyday as long as they have water, food and shelter. As to eating layers, there ain't much meat on them. PITA to defeather and clean just for breasts and *maybe* legs. If you want meat - get meat birds. They grow for under a couple of months before they can not walk anymore because of the weight. Need to butcher before then as the breasts will also split. Ya get pretty much legs, thighs and breasts. Sometimes wings and such.

Just got home. No BNSF to be seen. Well, I could have gone a couple of places in Spo, although with the homeless situation I decided that I would stay away as I forgot my .45

Hearing aids both work now. Somehow I got the wax filter down in the speaker where I couldn't see it. Aid guy had a great microscope and showed me the what and where for's to get them out. I have a little microscope that I use with the PC for extreme closeup's of circuit boards and such and didn't even think of it. Probably have the very sharp pointed tool somewhere too. I did learn something though: My old pair of aids use 312 button cells. Aid guy grabbed one and took the battery out. He dropped it on his desk. I laughed and said something like - no worry, I do that. He then informed me that he did it on purpose as a dead or nearly dead battery will bounce. Showed me with a new one. Thing didn't really bounce at all, just went *thunk*. And I always found my VOM to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back