Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all! 33 degrees and cloudy. Headed up to 52 today, not to worse!

Good morning. It's clear and 64.
Ray, maybe you can contact the seller, and see if he'll give you a few dollars back for his part of the mix-up. It never hurts to ask, and might cover the cost of the decals and paint you'll need to fix it.

Toot, Paint over the the 3 in 703 and replace the three with a 2, making the number 703. I have done this on several occasions and I would guess you have also! Why the manufacture would take a photo of 703 when they are selling 702s is just one of those unanswerable questions, like which came first the chicken; or, the egg! Sorry for stating the obvious!

Good Morning gang!
57° and cloudy, supposed to get to 83°. After work I will be going straight from the seat of the truck to the seat of the mower, there is a scale forest all around my house!
Nice new place here, great pics already, Terry, mostly dark?? Brings back memories of Al Sleet.
Off to work, tataa for now!

Our colder than normal weather is at least doing something for me and that is keeping me off my mower!!! I generally don't need to start mowing until later May, anyway. At least the grass is greening up!

Morning all,

Coffee and a plain bagel for me today.

Rain off and on today with highs in the low 60's. Currently 48 degrees and raining in DooDah. The town I actually live in is under a flood warning until sometime tomorrow, but since I was flooded out in 1998, I got smart and moved to much higher ground. I did have some of the trains in a box on a shelf in my closet at the time. They remained 3' above the water line.

While no pictures, I got some train time last night, right after I spread the last of my spring lawn program, just before the next batch of rain and had dinner. Got 95% of the rail tacked and glued down and track nailed. I still have a few T-pins until the glue dries. I still need to work with the lift bridge so I have rail continuity and actually be able to remove it. Right now it is still using rail joiners to keep it aligned and acts as a duck under.

Good Morning All. 60° and clear for now. Modest thundershower overnight left 3.4" in the rain gauge! Still under that flash flood warning although it normally doesn't affect me. Ground was already saturated from the 1.1" Tuesday night. I can hear the roar of the rushing waters outside, in the roadside ditches and nearby creeks (2 of them) even without my hearing aids, but I won't venture out on foot to look until daylight. It will be interesting to see the Corps of Engineers flood control lake across the road a couple of hours from now when the run-off subsides. And unlike Mark; as I posted yesterday, "Nothing boring about last night's weather around here"!
All right Flo, how about a sausage and egg burrito with a large glass of OJ this morning.
While I was doing my daily walk yesterday, I encountered a very large whitetail deer buck crossing the road. He came within five or six feet of knocking me over! He was close enough for me to see the raw red spots where he had recently shed his antlers. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me.
Meanwhile I am preparing the grocery list for today's trek to Denton, gotta keep the beer fridge full (and then some)! This afternoon I have to take my wife to an orthopedic doctor; she really screwed up her left knee Tuesday and can barely walk. Called his office yesterday afternoon and got an appointment for today, despite never having seen him before.

Thanks for yesterday's likes and comments, Justin, Dave, Jerome, Sherrel, Greg, Patrick, Garry, Curt, Tom, Jim and anyone whom I inadvertently overlooked. They are all appreciated.

Another day of only minor progress in the train shed yesterday, due to life. Expecting the same lack of time today. Worked on parking lots and sidewalks.
05-01-19 001.JPG

Looks like the local turn dropped some boxcars off at the new customers.
05-01-19 002.JPG

05-01-19 003.JPG

I have either a warp in my plywood base or in my blue building (more likely) that I will be hiding with scenery materials quite soon. Or maybe I just didn't push the locator post down far enough which is easier to fix.

Justin - Always enjoy your pictures. I never got to see any eastern railroads, especially coal haulers, during their heyday.
Dave - Your freight car builds are quite inspiring. I'm making notes for that time when layout scenery is mostly complete I can upgrade some of my many Roundhouse and Athearn cars.
Greg - Hope that you are feeling better very soon.
Garry - I enjoy switching first and foremost. I do have a lot of industries, over 70 right now with space and plans to add more. Quite unprototypical though as several of my towns are barely a full train length apart. OK though as I can't see both ends of a typical train at once anyway!
Curt - Enjoy the visit with Jon and Phil. Say hello to Phil for me.
Ray - I normally don't DPU on my layout as ATSF didn't normally do it in their flatland territory which I loosely model. On very rare occasions I would see a rear-end helper in the early 90's, but that might actually have been a light engine move rather than a helper. I do have some speed-matched DC engines that enable me to do so.
Johnny - How's Dena doing?

Well, it's time to go out and check out the septic tank which is most likely totally full from water seepage, despite having the overflow pump running all night.

Everyone have a great day.

Good morning. It's clear and 64.
Ray, maybe you can contact the seller, and see if he'll give you a few dollars back for his part of the mix-up. It never hurts to ask, and might cover the cost of the decals and paint you'll need to fix it.

Toot, Paint over the the 3 in 703 and replace the three with a 2, making the number 703. I have done this on several occasions and I would guess you have also! Why the manufacture would take a photo of 703 when they are selling 702s is just one of those unanswerable questions, like which came first the chicken; or, the egg! Sorry for stating the obvious!

I'm more annoyed of my own mistake than the seller's, especially because of the amount of research I engaged in to verify it as one I would definitely want in my collection and forgot the most important one. It's not as though it's the first time I've seen this occur in listings. I haven't had the chance as yet to check the Atlas parts dept, even to see if they have any clear number board lenses that could have decals printed onto the white decal paper that was mentioned elsewhere. I managed to get several car touch up cans of spray paint a while ago in a blue that matches MRL's very well, so no problem there, and I have 3-4 MRL "meatball" logo decal sheets with numbers on them, which hopefully will be the same sizes.

I will contact the seller just to point out, nicely, of his error, even though I'll also give him good feedback. He did post very quickly and his packaging was very good. I imagine he'll probably be sorry for his omission in the listing. If the numberboards exist, I'll see if he can do something in that regard.

My personal needling of myself is that, here was a loco, I thought, virtually ready to use in it's prototype role, but as seems to be the case many times, it's the 3 steps backwards for every one forward. I haven't opened the box yet while I've been mulling it over.

Good morning all, cloudy and 40.

Just getting ready for my second cup of coffee, looks like we have a full house around the table!

Patrick-- how is your migraine today? you must be feeling better if you are working on track

Chet-- how is the shoulder coming along?

Willie-- great photos of the layout progress

I got started on the AMB caboose kit last night. Initially some tricky stuff but it looks like a simple build. Looks like I have a lot of left over decals as this is a pre-Monad model.

IMG_0479.jpg

this is just the superstructure for the siding and roof. Seems like a small caboose, however it is to be only a 24 footer.

IMG_0480.jpg

have to get back to work, everyone have a great day, Dave

Good morning .....

Coffee and a donut , please....

Willie ..... Your parking lots and sidewalks look very good .

Dave .... The caboose looks like a fun kit to build. Nice work so far.

Below are photos of my coal mine project. This is work in progress.... I want it to resemble a coal mine in a southern Illinois coal field...... It has a mine head with steam powered hoist from a Faller kit, a tipple and related structures from a Walthers kit, and a scratch-built structure. There is room for more structures, and I am now deciding about that. A lot of work on scenery remains to be done. ... I will have very little if any time to work on this over the next two weeks. So it will be at least that long before I take more photos.

46827428075_bfcf625a2b_k.jpg

]
47744108491_76be5ac603_k.jpg

Good morning 34 degrees with clear skies to start off the day. Should get up near 60 later today.

Enjoyed the trip to Billings yesterday. Nice to get on the road again as I haven't been straying too far from home lately. There must have been some snow on the interstate as by the time I got started, it had melted and the roads were just wet. There was a lot of train action going on. Just about every passing siding was occupied and trains traffic was heavy in both directions. Got the new TV and stopped by the hobby shop also. Didn't have very much of what I needed, but I did pick up a few items.

thumbnail_20190502_063751.jpg Big sale. They did have a lot of detail parts but didn't have my illusive winterization hatches for the NP F units.

Got the TV up and working and even got the remote for the DirecTV to operate the set, WITHOUT reading any instructions. A feather in my cap.

Dave - nice photos. Your vintage fleet of freight cars is growing. Waiting to see the finished caboose.

Greg - Excellent photo.

Jim - Beautiful photos. Love the river crossing photo.

Ray - Saw a lot of helper service over Bozeman Pass yesterday in both directions. Haven't seen that much rail action in a long time. The laurel yard was quite busy when I passed by it on the interstate also. Wish I had the time to stop and take some photos as there was so much action.

Willie
- I can't believe how much you have gotten done in that area in such a short time. Nice work.

Garry - That is an impressive looking mine. Looking forward to seeing how you work it into your layout.

Have physical therapy again today. Down to once a week now and I am still ahead of where the surgeon is expecting me to be. Good news I guess. After therapy I am meeting my friend from the bowling team for lunch and have to fill up the gas bottle for the frill. Have some nice pork chops in the fridge we would like to enjoy tonight.

Later.

Ray - Saw a lot of helper service over Bozeman Pass yesterday in both directions. Haven't seen that much rail action in a long time. The laurel yard was quite busy when I passed by it on the interstate also. Wish I had the time to stop and take some photos as there was so much action.
That's good to know that they've been busy.

I managed to find the parts diagram for the Atlas SD35's. I can see the #board casting is a Y shaped piece of clear plastic and the LED supplying light will be mounted on the chassis near or just at the back edge of the cab. I will have to take the plunge and open the box and the model to see what can be done with it.

Great pictures of your layouts and such.

Dave: Head is fine for now. Really through me to have them that successive. Been since sophomore year of HS since I can remember back to back
ones. I like the work on the caboose kit. I still have a few old blue box and Accurail kits I picked up that I need to complete, once I get something that can handle trains.

Garry: Nice model of an Illinois coal mine. One of my great grandfather's worked in a southern Illinois mine during the 'teens and early 20's of the last century. I just have the stories my grandmother told me about the area of the time.

Willie: Hopefully it's something easy with the building.

Good Day Railroaders....
Nothing exciting going on here... trying to tie up loose ends of started projects, but the going is slow.
Off to do errands this morning, gas for the car, groceries, ck on progress of base plate install.
Have to attend a funeral up in Granada Hills at the San Fernando Mission tomorrow morning at either 10 or 11 AM. Have to check, but it will be a 2 hour plus drive either direction -and being on a Friday-the drive back could be 3plus depending on the traffic.
Supposed to be 72 today, but has been much cooler the past few days -had to throw the comforter back on the bed last night. Underground says we are having "normal" temps, but seems cooler this year? Older age I guess?

Enjoying all the photos and postings today - surely MARK will be happier?

Patrick -- Where is Doo DAH?

Later, Folks.....

Why do wives always seem to yank really hard on those pull chains on ceiling fans? Do all of them do that or just mine?

Everybody have a great day.
I don't mind the yanking, but my wife simply refuses to learn which is the fan and which is the bedroom light. Consequently, our fan is either turned off or is on High and, having successfully found the light chain, she never puts the fan back on Low. Maybe it's just my OCD talking.

I just barely managed to talk myself out of buying a used $400 drone yesterday (that Ireally have no actualuse for), that originally sold for $800. While researching my prospective purchase I found that a lot of the drones being sold by commercial vendors, including Amazon, have been discontinued and consequently parts and batteries are difficult to find, yet are being advertised at full price. I would suggest, then, that anyone contemplating getting into the hobby look for a used drone that comes with extra parts and batteries; there seems to be a lot of them out there. One overlooked market, incidentally, is the local Market listings in Facebook.

I sent an email to Athearn with photos of my Big Boy problem, and immediately got an answer telling me how to proceed. I also located some of my tools. I hope I can get it fixed today, 'cause it's distracting me from assembling the actual layout. Wish me luch, I'm off to the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back