Running Bear's May 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trains and cowboys! What's not to like?

rr police.jpg

Wild Bunch Posse

A combination of Pinkerton, UP agents and trackers taken in June 1900 after the second Wild Bunch robbery. The idea of the car is credited to E.H. Harriman, with the notion that fresh men and fresh horses could get to the scene of a robbery by train in time to track the outlaws, whose horses would not be well rested. From left to right: presumed to be Joe Lefores, T.T. Keliher, H. Davis, George Hiatt, Jeff Carr, Si Fun

https://www.therailroadpolice.com/photos-1

View attachment 36400
Wild Bunch Posse

A combination of Pinkerton, UP agents and trackers taken in June 1900 after the second Wild Bunch robbery. The idea of the car is credited to E.H. Harriman, with the notion that fresh men and fresh horses could get to the scene of a robbery by train in time to track the outlaws, whose horses would not be well rested. From left to right: presumed to be Joe Lefores, T.T. Keliher, H. Davis, George Hiatt, Jeff Carr, Si Fun

https://www.therailroadpolice.com/photos-1

Si Fun, is he in charge of liquid procurement??

Howdy ..

Has anyone heard from Louis lately ?

Chet and Patrick ... Thank you for commenting on my mine.

Patrick ... Interesting your great grandfather was a coal miner.

Beady ... Nice about Athearn responding quickly. Maybe your Big Boy will be ready to celebrate the Golden Spike anniversary on May 10.

Cheers

Good morning .....

Below are photos of my coal mine project. This is work in progress.... I want it to resemble a coal mine in a southern Illinois coal field...... It has a mine head with steam powered hoist from a Faller kit, a tipple and related structures from a Walthers kit, and a scratch-built structure. There is room for more structures, and I am now deciding about that. A lot of work on scenery remains to be done. ... I will have very little if any time to work on this over the next two weeks. So it will be at least that long before I take more photos.

46827428075_bfcf625a2b_k.jpg

]
47744108491_76be5ac603_k.jpg

Really nice looking project! Dave

This is from the Facebook Budget Model Railroading group:

"Ok, remembered something from an experiment a few years ago. I knew if you take white styrofoam and put it in lacquer thinner you make liquid plastic. Now do the same with the meat trays (pink, blue, yellow, green) and I ended up with plastic putty. It hardens to a smooth concrete. Now, does anyone think that might be a solution for making various hils, Mountains, and waterfalls, instead of plaster based materials. Please Note, it does melt foams when first taken out to use, takes about 10 minutes to 4 hours to dry, but sticks well, shapes well, and ends up bullet proof hard."

This is from the Facebook Budget Model Railroading group:

"Ok, remembered something from an experiment a few years ago. I knew if you take white styrofoam and put it in lacquer thinner you make liquid plastic. Now do the same with the meat trays (pink, blue, yellow, green) and I ended up with plastic putty. It hardens to a smooth concrete. Now, does anyone think that might be a solution for making various hils, Mountains, and waterfalls, instead of plaster based materials. Please Note, it does melt foams when first taken out to use, takes about 10 minutes to 4 hours to dry, but sticks well, shapes well, and ends up bullet proof hard."
And if you combine styrofoam and gasoline, you have napalm...

I still need to work with the lift bridge so I have rail continuity and actually be able to remove it. Right now it is still using rail joiners to keep it aligned and acts as a duck under.

For elegance, I would like to see a plug system in the bridge abutments, that would connect/ disconnect along with the placement of the bridge. A bayonet connector(?)... My speed .. probably cheap out and use phono connectors.

Still mulling the SD35 question. I found this picture on rrpicturearchives, taken as #703 was leaving MRL for the sister SRY in BC Canada, in Seattle, 31/12/2017. The afternoon sunshine shows the fading and weathering of it at the time. The lifesaver promotion logo had been removed/overpainted in '09.
DSC_3169-1231.jpg

SRY changed the number to 385 and repainted it into the new, shared scheme with red dot logo, in January '18, before entering service
DSCN3138.JPG

So, I guess my options are to convert it into it's appearance just before departure, keeping it's current number, but removing just the LS logo, or endeavoring to change 1 number to make it 702. The latter would be OK if it were an Athearn RTR without lit #boards, but maybe a bit iffy to successfully do when they are backlit as they are on the Atlas model. They're big enough to see any roughness.

The fact that it is no longer on the roster is a disappointment, but all of my SD45's #'s (4) that I have are also in that category with no guarantee that the 4 left in active service will stay that way for long if they get buyers for them.
I'm not quite up to Pelle Soeberg's standard yet, of selling off those locos with road #'s as UP have done.

I will keep an eye out for #702, but as this is the first Atlas one that's ever come up in my permanent MRL ebay search, could be a very long wait.

RAY -- What if you took the number boards out and sent them to someone who could make a 3-D print of the number you want?
I'll look at the options when I open it up to put in the decoder, The box had the printed parts/exploded view PDF in it, so I'll be better able then to decide the course of action. Got to find out now which motor MRL had in them. They were, like the 4 axle GP35's, originally 567's, but MRL upgraded their 6 GP's to 645's. Probably did the same with these 6 axle units. The irony is that #703, according to rrpic,archives' website, only has that one SD35 in it's photo album. Maybe I'm following the wrong RR'd.

33 now, supposed to be 52 and rainy later. Yo'all have a gooden!

I'll look at the options when I open it up to put in the decoder, The box had the printed parts/exploded view PDF in it, so I'll be better able then to decide the course of action. Got to find out now which motor MRL had in them. They were, like the 4 axle GP35's, originally 567's, but MRL upgraded their 6 GP's to 645's. Probably did the same with these 6 axle units. The irony is that #703, according to rrpic,archives' website, only has that one SD35 in it's photo album. Maybe I'm following the wrong RR'd.

Follow up:
I've written to Atlas, explaining and inquiring. I found the parts list on the site for that model loco (after registering). There were 5 pages, but the front and rear lights/#board castings were not among them. I have asked about them regardless, quoting the PDF's part #'s and whether they came, if available, prenumbered or at least clear. See what happens.

Morning all,

Cloudy and 54 this morning in Doo-Dah.

Patrick -- Where is Doo DAH?

Doo-Dah is Wichita, KS:

Wichita is affectionately referred to as “Doo-Dah”, though the origins of this nickname are pretty unclear. Younger Wichitans suspect the name began with older generations, while some members of older generations have attributed the use of the name primarily to younger Wichitans.

Some suggest that the name “Doo-Dah” was given to Wichita in the 1950s as a way to counter the hype that surrounded the city as a result of it’s other nickname, the “Air Capital of the World”. According to an article in the Topeka Capital Journal, a California historian traced the name back to a group of local college students in the 1920s.

Today, Urban Dictionary defines Doo-Dah as:

“Another nickname for Wichita, KS. Origins unknown, but perhaps it references the laid-back, whimsical attitude felt by some visitors to the city.”

While I don't live and work in Wichita, I live in one nearby small city and work for another small, but larger city in the Wichita Metro area.

For elegance, I would like to see a plug system in the bridge abutments, that would connect/ disconnect along with the placement of the bridge. A bayonet connector(?)... My speed .. probably cheap out and use phono connectors.
That's what I'm thinking, but a smaller mono plug like for a headset or power supply. I've got a bunch in my electronics trays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back