Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, howdy there internet peeps and those wondering if Locomotives secretly want to be submarines...

It's Troy again.

Had fun playing with tanks today. Despite the newbiness of the guy running the demo, the players had a good time, and pronunced it a fun game they want to play again soon.

Time to play Name That Tank:

Pic 1:
View attachment 182914

Pic 2:
View attachment 182915

Pic 3
View attachment 182916

Pic 4
View attachment 182917

pic 1 looks like an SU-152, a Sherman, nd a 76mm version of the T34
pic 2 is an StG III
pic 3 is a so-called King Tigfer or Royal Tiger or Tiger II
pic 4 is the Sherman having lots its head. It appears to have the hedgerow thingies up front

I realize that I'm late to the game but did not look ahead.

Flo?

You in here?
If you're putting on your facial creme, keep at it.
Just going to scooby a piece of this peanut butter pie.
Looks like we need more milk.
Anyways, you girls really know how to brighten up the world.
I'm going to the window booth.
The lonely hearts mixed signals club bus is stuck on the tracks.
The 12:01 Bitter Express is due any minute. :oops:
Should be quite the show. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

That looks considerably different from the 100 I had. It looks more like the old 5000 from way back. Is it a Quattro model?
I found an old ad for my 100, even in the same color. It is also the car that caused me to swear off VW products for life...

View attachment 182929
The European Audi 100 was called the Audi 5000 in the US back in the 80s

Last edited:
I’ve already scoped out the replacement machine from BB… opens at 11

I rebooted and am trying the Ventura boot stick installation. Got it to work this time.

Glad I backup all important files to the drop box
I'd back up multiple places. Use iCloud*, DropBox, and have a thunderbolt disk you regularly make copies to for anything that is super important or you're making money off of.

You can get iCloud to automatically mirror Deocuments and certain other directories besides also creating your own and copying to it

Troy -

Congrats on the new MacBook Pro.
You may already know about MacRumors.com, but if you don't, that's the place to go for Mac questions.
Forums are at
forums.macrumors.com

Personally I wouldn't use macrumors.com. The correct place on Reddit is probably better. Otherwise I'd use the Ask Different forums on StackExchange.com. https://apple.stackexchange.com/

You tend to find more serious people on StackExchange (the most famous being Stackoverflow)

Did the reporter then ask what the difference was, or did they drop the question because they didn't want to look ignorant?
In the reporters defense, most non scientific people think of salt as ONLY being sodium chloride.

I try to avoid salt on the driveway but use some sparingly when the ice is bad as the driveway is short and steep (though not like some of the memes you see and I don't know why the city approves these). I think Calcium Chloride is the most concrete friendly of the road salts?

Finished the second draft of my wheel stops. Hopefully I'll print an improved version. Tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20240303_212546.jpg
    20240303_212546.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 17
W*rk has literally been a cluster lately and I have brushed off and polished my resume' because of it. I'm not going to go down with this ship.
There is always an open door for a good man! Now more so than ever!

I have a question for all those with layouts.
I don't have a permanent layout currently. When I did, I was the oddball that just liked to watch trains run round and round. 🤪

Like Arthur from the "King of Queens" said, "Don't let the Bastards drag you down!"

I have a question for all those with layouts. Do you find yourself more on the "operations" side of the hobby, or is your layout more on the "railfan" side of the hobby. The layout my buddy has is mainly for operations, even though he can at open houses he does have provisions for roundy round running. When operating,,9-10 trains are all working at the same time, passing, switching, all under the control of a dispatcher. It's 3 layers and HUGE. My layout might keep 3-4 operators busy once it gets running, but 90% of the time I will just be the only operator and I doo love to let 1 train just run while I do other things. (yes, I can run point to point or in a loop) Just wondering your thoughts.
My layout is geared for operations, with over 70 industries to switch. I can do a continuous run if I want, but it doesn't really "light my fire". If I wanted, I could run the loop on the upper level while doing switching on the lower level, but I can only pay attention to one train at a time. It's not as if there are any concerns, but why put "run time" on equipment when it isn't necessary? I have tried running on the loop while doing other things at the workbench, but that also doesn't make sense for me. But that's just me, I see many modelers on layout tours that are just railfans and really enjoy it.

Good evening gang!

Flo, can I get a cold Coke Zero with lots of ice?

Today is National Stroke Survivors Day, I didn't realize I had my own holiday!

Been in a bit of a funk regarding the hobby as of late, hence my absence. W*rk has literally been a cluster lately and I have brushed off and polished my resume' because of it. I'm not going to go down with this ship. Done a bunch of re-evaluating things, coupled with a run session Saturday on a buddies layout so I spent a good bit of yesterday along with time today to start finishing up half started projects. The 1st thing to escape the workbench , the Beverly Hillbillies Buick truck.
View attachment 182992
The rest of the "clan" are still standing on a paint stick with 2 sided tape awaiting finishing. I'll get them done in the next few evenings. Also in that same paint stick are the figures for my poor white trash trailer scene.

Willie, that house kit looks amazing like my grandparent house in Baltimore when I was a kid. (4109 Edgar Terrace) I have to get me one of those for the layout.

I have a question for all those with layouts. Do you find yourself more on the "operations" side of the hobby, or is your layout more on the "railfan" side of the hobby. The layout my buddy has is mainly for operations, even though he can at open houses he does have provisions for roundy round running. When operating,,9-10 trains are all working at the same time, passing, switching, all under the control of a dispatcher. It's 3 layers and HUGE. My layout might keep 3-4 operators busy once it gets running, but 90% of the time I will just be the only operator and I doo love to let 1 train just run while I do other things. (yes, I can run point to point or in a loop) Just wondering your thoughts.

Kriegslok. Nice Audi, do you know what they cal the import tax on those cars?

Audi duty 😁

Goodnight all!
That screaming for Hill Billy figures, who makes it? If I can source it I would definitly try that. and really well coloured.

That screaming for Hill Billy figures, who makes it? If I can source it I would definitly try that. and really well coloured.
Jaz - While you were away, you missed my build of that kit.
IMG_1145.JPG

I added the dog and Aunt Pearl in the rocking chair. I got mine here: Beverly Hillbillies truck w/figures.
IMG_1141.JPG

The lady in turquoise to the right did not come with the kit, I already had her in front of the bank.

It is also available on Etsy.

Good afternoon all. It was a cold, frosty morning; now the sun is shining.
A cup of Darjeeling, no milk please, Flo. That ham pie looks appetising. I'll have a slice. I'll sit over by the window.

The two railway wagons I purchased from Medway Queen Paddle Steamer Preservation Society (I support) are 'earning their keep'.

IMG_2996.JPG

A six wheeled brake van in Maryport & Carlisle Railway livery is a long way from home. Seen here at Leeds Sovereign Street Station.

M&C brake van.JPG

Morning all,

57° and clear going for a high later of 69°.

Got home Saturday and the wife and I went for a drive. Didn't go very far, but just out for a while.

Yesterday was a nice day so I decided to do some work outside real quick (wrong to assume a simple job stays that way). I was going to do the initial spring tilling of the garden space, but needed to mix some 2 stroke oil and gas. Figured I'd top the truck off as well...Fuel mixed and truck filled...I need the receipt, so as an indication of how the rest of the day was going to go, the pump failed to print the receipt. No problem, the fuel center is open, until I get to the window and the attendant left a sign for a bathroom break. After 10 minutes of waiting, I went into the main store building and at customer service was 3 store employees having a visit. Turns out one was the operator of the fuel center. I asked about getting a receipt and the fuel center employee said she'd meet me there, so I followed her back.

Then I went to the kids house to get rabbit barrel. Granddaughter has a pet rabbit, so I put a garbage can for her to dump the rabbit litter into when she cleans the rabbit cage. Good stuff for the garden. I try to open their garage and it won't open. Turns out one of the springs broke, So I help them get the car out and we plan to fix it when they get back from church stuff (we all went to mass Saturday evening, but they take the kids to small groups on Sunday). Get home, dump and spread the rabbit stuff on the garden, get the mini tiller fueled and started running the rabbit stuff in. I get about halfway done when the tiller starts acting fuel starved and dies, not being able to restart. After an hour of playing with it, I now have a new carburetor on order. So I finish the garden by hand.

Both kids had been telling me that the gate between the yards wasn't staying closed. So as I took the bunny barrel back, I looked at the gate. Appeared to be an 10 minute fix. As I was backing out of the driveway the son in law tells me they are home. So I go to my house and get the tools to fix the garage door and the gate. 3 hours later and not only is the garage door not fixed, we managed to burn out the garage door opener. Still don't know what's going on with it. I've done springs many times, and the door is light enough that the 1/2 horsepower motor should be able to open and close it without effort. On a side note: it took only 5 minutes to fix the gate latch.

Then I ended up ordering supper and by the time I got home with it, about half the order was missing, so I had to go back and asked it all be remade as it would be really cold by the time I got just the missing burgers.

So yesterday was the day I had the ability to turn everything I touched to manure. I'm still sore this morning in places I forgot I had.

Willie: That's a small one...

Jeez I miss a weekend and 10 pages of posts to go through? Holy crap! Visited the grand kids Saturday and divided yesterday between the Japanese cherry tree in the front yard (in severe need of a pruning) and the bench. The consarned compressor died, and now I have to decide what to do about that. I can still paint, I have plenty of airbrush compressors here. The one I seem to have lost is the big one that runs the blasting booth. Replacing that one is going to sting! I may not do it. Gotta think on that one! Well on to happier matters. Ever buy something you absolutely don't need? What am I saying, look at who I'm talking to! 🤣 🤣 An old friend is exiting the hobby and when he told me he was liquidating I asked for a certain model he had. I don't do narrow gauge, but I do have a model of an engine house that can be built as standard or narrow gauge. I think I'll use this model in it! It's just so darned charming!
Mich Cal Shay as PT&S #2.jpg

I painted it for him many years ago, and installed DCC. That was a tough one. It'll just barely pull itself but it's an excellent model.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those wondering if Locomotives secretly want to be submarines...

It's Troy again.

Had fun playing with tanks today. Despite the newbiness of the guy running the demo, the players had a good time, and pronunced it a fun game they want to play again soon.

Time to play Name That Tank:

Pic 1:
View attachment 182914

Pic 2:
View attachment 182915

Pic 3
View attachment 182916

Pic 4
View attachment 182917
Nice, but I think I'd have dyed that cotton orange in Pic 4

I'm not sure what indicates that this is spam or AI generated, but I do know that you don't use acetone to thin any paint used on plastic.
Actually you can Willie. I have. You just have to be very careful about how "wet" you get the surface when spraying. Tru-color is acetone based. It has a rather steep learning curve, at least it did for me, but once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty good product. It is usually advisable to prime first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back