Running Bear's March 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks -- been quite this afternoon except for calls to/from the immediate family.
The oncologist walked thru the door and said; "I'm afraid that I do not have good news".
The MRI showed multiple spots of cancer in your brain (like more than a dozen). I am loaded with it, and it extends all the way to the GI Tract and it appears aggressive.

Tomorrow morning I have a video conference with the Radiology Dept. The plan of attack is BOTH
Chemo and Radiology. I may become a blithering idiot before long?

I was hoping for a better outcome, but as my dad used to say: "We have to play the cards we are dealt" ... Looks like a 2 and a 7 in my book!
Wow, Sherrel! Rooting for you all the way. Choosing the concept of a higher power over religion, I have my own special type prayers that I send to you. Now I need you to prove to me that it works.

Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1710405680757.png

Early 1900s Grand Rapids & Indiana RR Brass Key with Switch Lock​

Good Morning All!

33F @ 78%. Can see stars so far. Should be 50F later and we are hearing of 70F Saturday. Maybe I can get rid of my thermals!

We do not have that much to do with the property as we got almost everything burned we wished burned last year. Ya, some branches and crap but nothing big. We can only burn in April if ya don't remember. Got to level stuff for Maria's chicken house, then we can start on that. I sure miss fresh eggs! She wants a combination building, one side for chickens, the other for goats. Actual goats probably won't happen until next year; although she tends to get animals before we are ready so we will see.

So, air used to be free at any Gas Station. Now days it is $1.50. You know why? Inflation!

What do you call a hippies wife? Mississippi.
For those with broken brain cells: Mississ'ippy might be easier.

So I am back to visiting the Train Cave in the mornings to at least 'do something'. Ima slow and know it. Have to fix Maria's passenger window then I can go and get the plywood I need for the Helix. It has been either too cold or raining and I am NOT going to freeze my butt off just for that. We have a 2nd ( 3rd and 4th ) vehicle so no hurry. Tommorra or weekend probably.

Later

[edit] Oh, and I forgot to get a Jake pix .. will try a little later today.

Good Morning All!

33F @ 78%. Can see stars so far. Should be 50F later and we are hearing of 70F Saturday. Maybe I can get rid of my thermals!

We do not have that much to do with the property as we got almost everything burned we wished burned last year. Ya, some branches and crap but nothing big. We can only burn in April if ya don't remember. Got to level stuff for Maria's chicken house, then we can start on that. I sure miss fresh eggs! She wants a combination building, one side for chickens, the other for goats. Actual goats probably won't happen until next year; although she tends to get animals before we are ready so we will see.

So, air used to be free at any Gas Station. Now days it is $1.50. You know why? Inflation!

What do you call a hippies wife? Mississippi.
For those with broken brain cells: Mississ'ippy might be easier.

So I am back to visiting the Train Cave in the mornings to at least 'do something'. Ima slow and know it. Have to fix Maria's passenger window then I can go and get the plywood I need for the Helix. It has been either too cold or raining and I am NOT going to freeze my butt off just for that. We have a 2nd ( 3rd and 4th ) vehicle so no hurry. Tommorra or weekend probably.

Later

[edit] Oh, and I forgot to get a Jake pix .. will try a little later today.
I didn't know hippies had wifes, i thought they were into this harmony with the world thingie😆

Morning all,

Sherrel: Prayers for you and your family. Hope the treatments are successful.

52° and cloudy. 66° and partly cloudy later on. Had some rain and storms overnight and while nothing local, at least several severe storms in the county (all north and east of us). I just wish they could narrow that stuff down better.

Peach trees in full bloom right now. They are starting to look more like the trees in the peach orchard I drive past every day. The owner did take out a bunch over the winter. Not sure if they were diseased or just past what would be considered productive life.

BBL

Hey folks -- been quite this afternoon except for calls to/from the immediate family.
The oncologist walked thru the door and said; "I'm afraid that I do not have good news".
The MRI showed multiple spots of cancer in your brain (like more than a dozen). I am loaded with it, and it extends all the way to the GI Tract and it appears aggressive.

Tomorrow morning I have a video conference with the Radiology Dept. The plan of attack is BOTH
Chemo and Radiology. I may become a blithering idiot before long?

I was hoping for a better outcome, but as my dad used to say: "We have to play the cards we are dealt" ... Looks like a 2 and a 7 in my book!
Wow! Nothing like the news any of us and you were hoping for. Don’t give up and you have Terry and my best thoughts for you

Good Morning All. Happy pi day. The day before the Ides of March! Cloudy and 71°, a bit warm for this time of day/year. Thunderstorms are still in our forecast for today and every day through Sunday now. However the radar doesn't show anything at all in all of Texas or any of the surrounding states at all right now. That's at least an 600 mile circle around me! But this is Spring time weather and they can pop up any time, anywhere; and can be pretty severe.

It's the weekly grocery trek day today. Time to stock up on corned beef roasts which are on sale. I have room for 4 in the freezer. The "out of stock" lottery has been mostly in my favor so far this year, so perhaps one stop should do it.
Yesterday, I planted some more Spinach and some Arugula in the garden, hoping for rain soon! While out there, I noted that the radishes that I planted 3/6 were peeking up. I had already planted some Spinach on 2/20, but it hasn't emerged yet, however my records show that it usually takes 3 weeks to come up, so there is hope yet. Another day on the mower yesterday, this time it was the south and southwest parts of the yard, including the area over the septic tank and leach field.

Saturday is my oldest daughter's birthday, so my wife made reservations at some fancy place near her home. Fancy to me! There's a dress code so I can't wear shorts, tee shirt, or tennis shoes! They prefer jacket and tie. And prices to match! Yikes! Salads are $11, mashed potatoes or green beans are $10 and a rib eye (my menu choice) is $59! Other items including pork, chicken, seafood and lamb are equally priced. Looks to be about $75-$90 per person before drinks. Glasses of wine start at $16 and a bottle averages $120. They don't even put beer on their website, so it is either outrageous or they don't serve any! There is no kids menu either for my granddaughter who will be with us. I'll need to up my credit card limit this weekend!;) Just kidding, I pay it off every month to avoid interest charges.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued on the storage shed build. I have come to Hughie's second favorite part (after stairs) of building laser-cut wood structures, the rafter tails. At least these are HO scale and not N scale like his.
IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

I've only gotten one side of the roof done so far, Next step is to paint the exposed ends.
I did another area of tree enhancement, but I only took a before picture. I'll save it for tomorrow when I have an after one to go with it.
All in all it was a slow day, but slow progress is better than no progress.

Mac - Our company quit using cab-overs in the 80's due to driver concerns. They felt like they were better protected with that long nose out front. In the long run, it never mattered. Fortunately none of our drivers were involved in a head-on crash during the 40+ years that I dealt with them. Our normal fleet was 26 OTR drivers.
Swal - I had to admire the crew of guys that came and removed the tree in my yard when it became a hazard. Only one of the four actually got into the tree. The other three removed and cut up the branches for me.
IMG_8300.JPG

The safety "fall" rope disappeared after five minutes. The estimator did show me their "certificate of insurance" before I signed off.
IMG_8301.JPG
IMG_8306.JPG

They even split some but not all of the trunk pieces.
1710420677157.png

Mac (again) - Some hippies got married. I have 52 years under my belt! Dad told me that it would never last because a) I was too young; b) She was a non-Catholic; c) Our engagement of five months was too short! He was wrong.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning to all from wonderfully needed wet So. Central Wisconsin. Coming back from the western shores of Lake Michigan in Eastern Wisconsin we came home through maybe 4 different weather patterns in the 94 miles last night! From beautiful sunshine when we left Racine to a violently windy sideways falling rain at home in Verona. Terry checked the weather app and Verona’s weather said the rain ended at 6pm and nothing more till mid-morning Thursday. About 15-20 miles from home we were getting those misty rain drops being wind driven on the windshield. 5 miles from home I thought about pulling over and waiting it out but the weather radar showed it being continuous so we really slowed down and crawled home. The best I can tell is it rained if not all night, at least when I was awake it was raining. Another wrong guess for the weather pros!

Sherrel’s is not the only bad news Terry and I received from friends on the medical front yesterday! A good friend of mine, texted that her hubby‘s anal cancer has like Sherrel gotten the bad news again and it also has spread. Both of them and the others going through medical turmoil have our best thoughts for their recoveries and peace of mind!

It’s a Thursday and that mean’s it’s a layout and not a weathering day. Well this current layout will not be getting worked anymore by me. Except for a 2 diesels and 16 freight cars to run I will just be packing up my trains today. I already have moved my paint booth, 6 old modules and started the frame for a new workbench.

We are not building a new place for us. But are moving to a place that used to be our corporate offices that since Covid except for the 9 months this house was being built has been empty. It about the only decision that Terry and I could agree on. For those of you who have sent me items to weather the address will be familar. It’s the 401 address as that is were we have since 2007 sent all business and personal mail! We have 2 spec houses being built down the road from our current house. We had thought about moving into one of them as they r easier to sell if occupied. We don’t usually speculate on houses but decided this time we would and do it twice! We also hadn’t planned to sell this place so fast. But we have had since our 1st open house in August been getting inquiries on this place and with a good enough offer decided we could handle another move without waiting for one of the new places to be ready. I think the end of 2024 will have us traveling for more than just my golf and Terry’s Maui. We had planned to hit up New England in the late Summer and early Fall of 2020, but as we all remember…

So maybe we head east for an extended tour. For sure though Washington DC will be visited in October.

Yesterday only 2 of 4 goals were achieved. I stopped at Hiawatha Hobbies and picked up 5 bulkhead flat cars for a client for me to weather and then some needed supplies. We made it to Terry’s best friend’s house in Racine. But we had planned for a 1pm lunch at Milwaukee’s Public Market. For years we have been stopping there 2-3 times per year and eating at St Paul’s Fish Company. That got squashed by big government yesterday. Seem’s we weren’t thinking, as we knew President Biden was coming to Milwaukee at 3pm. Never thought they’d close the parking ramps and lots near where he was staying, forcing downtown parkers to find other ramps. All the 3rd Ward parking yesterday was full and that’s where St Paul’s is. We headed west to West Allis to the very nice and delicious West Allis Cheese and Sausage Shoppe and Deli. Then we hit up Freezes Chocolates and headed back to Racine. We still had a great time even though a politician made us change up our plans…

Other them packing up trains today we are heading to 3 cheese factories. Terry is looking for Salami cheese from one place and special cheeses at 2 other places! We do this usually twice a year but always when we are home for a St Patrick Day celebration. We are home this year so we will be celebrating this Sunday. It’s only maybe a 30-40 mile round trip but it will include a late lunch

enjoy your day

Good Morning All. Happy pi day. The day before the Ides of March! Cloudy and 71°, a bit warm for this time of day/year. Thunderstorms are still in our forecast for today and every day through Sunday now. However the radar doesn't show anything at all in all of Texas or any of the surrounding states at all right now. That's at least an 600 mile circle around me! But this is Spring time weather and they can pop up any time, anywhere; and can be pretty severe.

It's the weekly grocery trek day today. Time to stock up on corned beef roasts which are on sale. I have room for 4 in the freezer. The "out of stock" lottery has been mostly in my favor so far this year, so perhaps one stop should do it.
Yesterday, I planted some more Spinach and some Arugula in the garden, hoping for rain soon! While out there, I noted that the radishes that I planted 3/6 were peeking up. I had already planted some Spinach on 2/20, but it hasn't emerged yet, however my records show that it usually takes 3 weeks to come up, so there is hope yet. Another day on the mower yesterday, this time it was the south and southwest parts of the yard, including the area over the septic tank and leach field.

Saturday is my oldest daughter's birthday, so my wife made reservations at some fancy place near her home. Fancy to me! There's a dress code so I can't wear shorts, tee shirt, or tennis shoes! They prefer jacket and tie. And prices to match! Yikes! Salads are $11, mashed potatoes or green beans are $10 and a rib eye (my menu choice) is $59! Other items including pork, chicken, seafood and lamb are equally priced. Looks to be about $75-$90 per person before drinks. Glasses of wine start at $16 and a bottle averages $120. They don't even put beer on their website, so it is either outrageous or they don't serve any! There is no kids menu either for my granddaughter who will be with us. I'll need to up my credit card limit this weekend!;) Just kidding, I pay it off every month to avoid interest charges.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued on the storage shed build. I have come to Hughie's second favorite part (after stairs) of building laser-cut wood structures, the rafter tails. At least these are HO scale and not N scale like his.
View attachment 183992
View attachment 183993
I've only gotten one side of the roof done so far, Next step is to paint the exposed ends.
I did another area of tree enhancement, but I only took a before picture. I'll save it for tomorrow when I have an after one to go with it.
All in all it was a slow day, but slow progress is better than no progress.

Mac - Our company quit using cab-overs in the 80's due to driver concerns. They felt like they were better protected with that long nose out front. In the long run, it never mattered. Fortunately none of our drivers were involved in a head-on crash during the 40+ years that I dealt with them. Our normal fleet was 26 OTR drivers.
Swal - I had to admire the crew of guys that came and removed the tree in my yard when it became a hazard. Only one of the four actually got into the tree. The other three removed and cut up the branches for me.
View attachment 183987
The safety "fall" rope disappeared after five minutes. The estimator did show me their "certificate of insurance" before I signed off.
View attachment 183988View attachment 183989
They even split some but not all of the trunk pieces.
View attachment 183995

Mac (again) - Some hippies got married. I have 52 years under my belt! Dad told me that it would never last because a) I was too young; b) She was a non-Catholic; c) Our engagement of five months was too short! He was wrong.

Everybody have a great day.
Free love and no bras. The hippy days I remember from the 70’s

Well, howdy there internet peeps. Again...

Since we're talking holidays/travel/vacation

Now that honorary sis-in-law has new liver, and wife isn't on call for driving her to the hospital in the middle of the night, we're feeling a bit less restricted.

Wife is happily looking at cruises again, but she's refusing to head to the Caribbean again. Instead, she's looking at UK/Ireland cruises. But our favorite line NCL (we're gold members) is mostly using two ships I don't care for (Dawn and Star) as the primary. Only a few dates get another ship, and they're not lining up with our travel.

Question for David: do you have a favorite itinerary around the European ports? It's all new to us. Wife has done a little travel in France and Switzerland. But we've never been to the UK or Europe beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back