Running Bear's March 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picture of the pipe that the power company drilled into. Couldn't be more dead center than this. Had to cut out and add another piece of pipe.
No Suprise there!

Surf Broadband has been in our town for almost a year now running underground conduit, and fiber optic lines for new internet service. My buddy that works for the City has told me these guys have hit so much crap.

No Suprise there!

Surf Broadband has been in our town for almost a year now running underground conduit, and fiber optic lines for new internet service. My buddy that works for the City has told me these guys have hit so much crap.
Reminds me when a few years ago, the fiber-optic guys were installing it in front of my house. I went out to chat and they asked me if I knew where the water main was??? I pointed to where I thought it was, not really knowing though. I immediately went inside and called the water company and they had a fellow out in less than 15 minutes to mark it. That was quicker than waiting if they had to repair it! They're actually pretty quick to repair breaks though. The fiber-optic guys were close. They had to dig by hand to cross it. Water guy stayed around to ensure that they were careful.

Hey kids, dropping in to ask a question.

I have this Seaboard heavyweight sleeper. I'd been wanting to sell it, until I started finding photos and video of PRR stuff running through the Rockies on Milwaukee passenger trains. I'm now tempted to use this Seaboard car as a run-thru sleeper. It's two-tone gray scheme, can anyone tell me what years this would work for? If it's around 1955, it's good enough for me.

View attachment 165565
That is a 10 section, 1 drawing room, 2compartment heavyweight sleeper, commonly found everywhere through about 1962, when all the heavyweights disappeared. The two tone gray scheme is from 1948 and later. It would be appropriate to see a car like this on the MILW, during the peak summer travel season. (In the winter, the reverse was true). They would be used to fill out regular sections, and for special parties.

demotivational-posters-well-theres-your-problem6.jpg

Good evening. 44° and cloudy. Had a summer like cloud burst, about an hour ago, that dropped 0.25" rain. I believe the rain is done for the night. It's a bit raw for the mid 40s though.

Went to Cardiac Rehab this morning, they are building endurance. I did alright, but around 2 this afternoon, I took a 2 hour nap on the recliner.

Not much else going on, just the latest school shooting. We have to collectively learn that's no way to settle a grudge.

PC 2243,2223,2210 passing through Harrisburg, PA 09_1974 -Steven Geisler photo.jpg

2243 +two pulling a Westbound on #12 track at Harrisburg, (PA), station in September 1974. Steven Geisler photo.

Good morning gang!

39 and cloudy, only getting up to 53 today, but it’s spring, not summer.

Today is national Black Forest cake day and national something on a stick day.
Flo, can I get coffee and two of those Jimmy Dean breakfast thingies, they look like a corndog but they are sausage cooked inside pancake batter, on a stick.
Maybe later at lunch corn dogs and cake, followed by a fudgesickle.
I’ll be in the corner booth!

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin. High today should be 44f degrees. It’s calm and partly cloudy.

A soda run today is planned as the Dr Pepper family of drinks is 4 for $10, 6 packs of 16.9oz bottles. For yesterday’s grocery run all they had was 3 diet Dr Pepper and lots of sugarless Orange. I need sugarless A&W root beer and sugarless 7up. The grocery store must have been short staffed yesterday as it was hard navigating the usually very clear aisles.

enjoy your day

Morning all,

Not much happening today...yet. I'll give them a little while.

Wife is talking again about selling and getting something smaller. I think I get it, but not looking forward to tearing stuff down (trains) and putting it someplace else. We'll still need to get the rest of the interior painted and new carpet throughout, but I do see the point of something smaller. With the most of the kids being local, we don't need what amounts to a 4-bed, 3 bath home anymore. One of our bedrooms in the basement has the escape window, but no closet, so it's by definition a "Bonus" room. Like nobody ever heard of a wardrobe? She has figured that it will be closer to $900 a month to live in the house after we have it paid off (taxes and insurance cost on a monthly basis). Senior apartments are about the same price and no maintenance...Gets one to thinking...

Oh well, try to BBL

A friend of mine said, I just need a place big enough for my beer and golf clubs, that's it. I wish I could be like him. Very soon I have to go out and chop up a tree that fell in the back yard this winter and all the other chores that go along with owning a house. Getting too old for this stuff.
Swal

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear again and 44°, heading into the mid-60's again today. But it will cloud up later according to the forecast. Forecasters have moved the thunderstorms back to Friday instead of Thursday, but they really have no clue.

I had an interesting visit at the ENT doctor yesterday, he had a camera looking into my ear as he cleaned it out, with monitors mounted high on the walls on either side so I could see what he was doing. OK I guess, but mainly I could hear better when he was done. No issues noted except excessive earwax. Much different than a previous visit with a different ENT guy. In the past I got a warm flush/vacuum, yesterday this doctor scraped it out with what appeared to be some fancy tweezers. He did do a flush on my wife's ears after the picking, but not mine.
At home later, I transplanted some "volunteer" trees to new locations that were more apropos. I find them in various places around the estate and move some to an area where I want more screening. Many originals end up being mowed since I rarely do more than 5-6 a year. Mostly they are Ash or Oak trees. The Ash simply sprout wherever the seeds land and the Oaks are forgotten acorns that our squirrel hides.
Today is transplant day, the first of two, as the garden dried out enough for me to do it. A few herbs will be moved into 5-gallon pails for the back porch. I have Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme; as well as Oregano and Cilantro. Chives are the only things that survived the single digit nights back in December. I'll also be planting Yellow and Zucchini Squash seeds in the garden. Wife says that her knees have recovered enough that she wants to assist in yard maintenance, so I'll have to give her some tasks that don't involve any power equipment!

I did some gardening of sorts out in the train shed yesterday. I added the fence between the Ace Auto Parts store and Ramone's Storage & Salvage. Then I added trees around all of the recent structures.
IMG_3272.JPG
IMG_3271.JPG
IMG_3269.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

Note also the figures and vehicles added around the auto parts store.
Next I completed a pair of bicyclists that I have been working on for the last week.
IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3273.JPG

As Karl alluded to earlier, today is National Something on a Stick Day, I guess that could include a carrot!
Everybody have a great day.

Afternoon All,

Started out at 69F and foggy on my walk, getting to 90F later. I puttered around the layout for a bit but couldn't get motivated to do much of anything. After lunch I laid down for a nap but really couldn't fall asleep. It's been that kind of day. Sunday MOH is driving to SC to visit with her BFF for a week Sunday and Dad flies to OH on Saturday for 2 weeks, so it will be me and son for the week.

David- Neat looking steamers.

Karl- Neat looking steamers also. Is the first photo a WM 2-6-6-2?

Joe- I enjoy your lessons on 1:1 RR'ing. Nice photo and I'm glad your rehab is going well.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back