Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada. Somewhere a little left of middle in the province. And our weather is actually a lot nicer than it sounds. We only get into the -30's for a few days in the winter. Although, that could be in any month. A very comfortable -15 or so, is more normal.
GUY -- You may find this interesting! When you said Whitecourt - rang a bell. In 1962 I spent a night in Whitecourt.
When I was building up my flight time I went to work for a Piper Distributor who was rounding up used J-3's and Supercub's and taking them to Alaska. Over the May-September time period I made 10 trips to Anchorage averaging around 45-50 hours of flying time each trip. I would cross the Canadian border at Sweet Grass, MT - Edmonton - overhead Whitecourt - Grand Prairie on up the ALCAN. I remember spending one night in Whitecourt, POP about 1500 at that time, due to a fast moving snowstorm/shower that caught me - I had no radio nor navigation on any of the planes and was more or less dependent on following the highway most of the time less that 1000 feet AGL. Being 19 at the time and a"free spirit" - I had a blast! I spent the night with one of the locals who ran a sandwich/bar - I found the local natives to be a very friendly and helpful people. Grand Prairie, I spent the night in the hanger of the A/P manager a couple times and at Muncho Lake got stuck there for two nights. Would land on the highway when I needed to go! I should have written a journal - each trip was something different.

GUY -- You may find this interesting! When you said Whitecourt - rang a bell. In 1962 I spent a night in Whitecourt.
When I was building up my flight time I went to work for a Piper Distributor who was rounding up used J-3's and Supercub's and taking them to Alaska. Over the May-September time period I made 10 trips to Anchorage averaging around 45-50 hours of flying time each trip. I would cross the Canadian border at Sweet Grass, MT - Edmonton - overhead Whitecourt - Grand Prairie on up the ALCAN. I remember spending one night in Whitecourt, POP about 1500 at that time, due to a fast moving snowstorm/shower that caught me - I had no radio nor navigation on any of the planes and was more or less dependent on following the highway most of the time less that 1000 feet AGL. Being 19 at the time and a"free spirit" - I had a blast! I spent the night with one of the locals who ran a sandwich/bar - I found the local natives to be a very friendly and helpful people. Grand Prairie, I spent the night in the hanger of the A/P manager a couple times and at Muncho Lake got stuck there for two nights. Would land on the highway when I needed to go! I should have written a journal - each trip was something different.
You are right, Sherrel. I did find that interesting. I've been to all of those places you mention; I've been up the Alaska highway 3x front to back, before it was paved. Today, it's just another paved road. Back then, it was an adventure.
If you've been up to Alaska, I suspect you are well familiarized with cool weather.

I have returned from the extra 1 hour, pre normal trading hours, "oldies" shopping expedition. I struck gold. I snaffled a 12 pack of toilet rolls (1 pack per shopper). Seeing the last major Australian gold rushes were in the late 1800's, I wondered if 2020 will go down in history as the Great Australian "Loo" Paper Rush.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 61.
When I visited my wife last night, she told me our hospital had its first case of Corona. I told her I didn't think a single case would be enough to go around, they should have gotten 3 or 4...
We just had confirmation of our first case in our county, as per county dept of health, the other day. This was someone who had been on a cruise ship.

Happy St. Patrick's Day! It's a quiet one here at the Jersey Shore, as all the Saloons and Clubs are closed due to Covid-19.

Nice to see we all have kept our sense of humor. It's amazing how people react to this epidemic. The same TV reporter who just admonished the public to maintain "social distance", walks right up to the person agreeing to an on camera interview, and shoves her microphone right up to the person's face. :rolleyes:.

In any event, the wife and I have maintained isolation since Saturday morning... Next venture out into the world, will be Thursday when they open early for seniors. I have a list that does not include toilet paper, but does include frozen pizza. ;) Actually we are good on most stuff,the list includes what we either couldn't find or what we forgot last Saturday. Actually, at this stage, I'm perfectly content to avoid contact with people whenever possible.

[I said:
"Iron Horseman, post: 476040, member: 3753"] What is the 3rd unit back? And is that 15 cars? [/I]

Horseman: Looks like an E8B with a different type of sheet metal ? No idea how many cars, looks long. Your guess is as good as mine.

Willie: Your use of critters enhance your scenes, just like your use of people. Nice work.

PRR #1120 at Bayhead, NJ_Photo 1966 or later.jpg

EP20 4213 at Bayhead Yard prepares to take #1120 to South Amboy, (GG1 to New York), in 1966 (PC Numbering and VHF radio instead of Trainphone). Photographer unknown.

Have a good evening

Good afternoon.

Regarding TP

Sherrel ... Tell your Spousal Unit to hang it up to dry to conserve it. LOL

if you run out, you willl be wiped out. :p

People are lining up at Walmart, Costco, etc. to buy TP and so on. It would be ironic if they caught the virus from another person in the line.

Have a nice afternoon.
Sad part is, that the retail associates end up getting infected by carriers who are not symptomatic yet.

Well I told myself.......don't do it don't do it.....I did it ugh I bought more rolling stock today....lol Should be here by Saturday. Will share then. Looking for more depressed flat cars.....the hunt continues. Ya'll have a good evening. I about to take dbl shot of Jameson and will wander in the kitchen to make lunch for tomorrow and hit the sack! Later!

Hi everyone!

Just a few photos . . .
The first two are the Durango & Silverton in Colorado.
The third is a classic Buster Keaton stunt

duXjo9v.jpg

D90KAlZ.jpg

pDGWaXR.gif

I have been to Durango & Silverton RR. I rode 3 different locos. 1 trip I had stopped at the 1/2 mark to fish the Animas River back in 1995. I have not been back since. I have followed the terrible news of the copper spill from the mine's back holding pools of contaminants. It angered me greatly. The Obama administration didn't punish the morons that created that mess. The fishing there has been wiped out. It will take a very long time before it is remotely a good fishery again. Not likely in my life time so sad. As for the trains. It was always a great treat to ride them. The scenery is definitely God's country. I am sure it has changed since 95. More people and houses peppered in on the moutain sides. :-( Purgaatory Mountain there is a pretty fun to ski as well. Maybe I will go back again someday. We shall see. Alaska is the only state I have not been to which is on my to do list or bucket list. I fear if I go I may never come back lol.

Morning all,

Drizzly and 52* this morning. It is supposed to clear off and be sunny this afternoon. high of 72*. I hope so as it's supposed to be back in the 40's over the weekend.

Time for coffee and double helping of Mel's corned beef hash. Thanks Flo.

My steroid procedure was canceled for tomorrow as we hadn't tried enough stuff, meaning we didn't try more drugs or PT, which since I still have full range of motion in my neck and shoulder, isn't going to do much good. People don't want the government to be in their health business, but we allow random companies we pay big bucks to to do it. So neck\shoulder issues persist for at least another month.

I still need to get pictures of the rail cars near the house. I had to take a different way home last night to get my "new" drugs.

On the rail car I posted the other day, it was built as an RPO car and converted to a steam car. Here's a link to the museum it's at:

GN RPO #6

As for today:

GNRRempirebuilder.jpg

Good morning, pancakes with some bacon on the side for me, Flo.

Its been a while since I've dropped in to say hi. I really enjoy seeing everyone's layouts and projects. And thank you to everyone who post old prototype photos!

Having a young family makee it difficult to find enough time to work on my own layout. But, I did manage to start on a small table top layout this winter. It's still a work in progress. I did get enough of it completed to temporarily lay some track (when I say temporary, I mean code 100 steel track that's not even nailed down!). Now that the weather is getting a little nicer, maybe I can finish the bench work soon.

Here's a line of Oshkosh trucks at the Crawford interchange in Prairie du Chien, WI, back in '16, headed to.......
1202160724b.jpg

you guessed it, Oshkosh, WI.

Good Morning Everyone. 61° and misting. Not only were there thunderstorms all night long, but it actually warmed up from where it was when I nodded out. A quick check of the rain gauge indicates 1.3" since about midnight when I took the first bathroom break. Couldn't resist eating at our favorite Italian restaurant last night, so I had to order a pick up order. No one in the dining room, even though there isn't a ban on that here yet. I think that both Dallas and Ft Worth have a eat-in restaurant ban starting soon. I doubled the normal tip even though I don't normally tip for take-out. Delicious.

I'll take some huevos rancheros this morning Flo. Extra salsa on the side along with a handful of bacon.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the critters yesterday; Guy, Chad, Karl, Alan, Garry, Sherrel, Phil, James, Jerome, Patrick, Joe, Jim, Dave, Curt, Ken, Tom. Always appreciated.

Did some more ballasting on the grain elevator spur yesterday, and started some ground cover as well.
03-18-20 001.JPG

Didn't do any further work over by the casket manufacturer yesterday. You may be asking "what are you doing over on the workbench?" On Sunday, I started a Bar Mills laser-cut kit that I had on the shelf, Dolly's Confectionery.
It will be going in between the grain elevator and the tannery.
03-18-20 002.JPG

03-18-20 003.JPG

On Sunday, I primed and painted the walls, Monday I added the interior bracing and added the trim. Yesterday I added the "painted on" signs and started assembling the walls.
03-18-20 004.JPG

03-18-20 006.JPG

Greg -
Has anyone tried sharpening Exacto blades???
I keep a whetstone next to the workbench and sharpen them all of the time. I can certainly afford new ones and have bulk packs of the ones that I use the most, but I like doing it and it keeps my skills sharp - pun intended. Since I have four Exacto handles, I don't have to constantly change blades either.
Guy - Speakiing of critters, I understand some folks uneasiness around snakes. I don't mind them at all. Here's one that lives on my property, haven't seen it yet this year (too early), but it's over 8' long.
015.JPG

My wife would have a heart attack if she knew that I got this close to one, especially one this large. It is not a poisonous variety, not even aggressive towards humans. Keeps the rats down on my rural property.
Beady - Positive thoughts to you and your family in regards to your mother. It's a hard decision to make. We had to make that decision many years ago with my mother. Thankfully it lasted less than an hour.
Sherrel - The last time that any neighbors had that done was 38 years ago, and they charged $100 per pole, wiring included. I don't know how much it costs now, but I am sure that it is more.
Curt -
Willie- He doesn't sound very neighborly.
He's quite arrogant as well. I suggested to him that he not cut the brush back that bordered the creek bed on the lowest part of the property when I saw him doing it; it helped control water runoff I told him. But he did it anyway to "make the place look presentable". In two years, that creek bank has eroded by over two feet and the creek has washed out over 50' of his newly installed fence; which both I and the fence company that installed it suggested that he situate it about 10' back from where he wanted it.. I had seen first hand the power of the water flow off his property before. Nobody that drives down our road cares if his place looks "presentable".

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning Everyone. 61° and misting. Not only were there thunderstorms all night long, but it actually warmed up from where it was when I nodded out. A quick check of the rain gauge indicates 1.3" since about midnight when I took the first bathroom break. Couldn't resist eating at our favorite Italian restaurant last night, so I had to order a pick up order. No one in the dining room, even though there isn't a ban on that here yet. I think that both Dallas and Ft Worth have a eat-in restaurant ban starting soon. I doubled the normal tip even though I don't normally tip for take-out. Delicious.

I'll take some huevos rancheros this morning Flo. Extra salsa on the side along with a handful of bacon.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the critters yesterday; Guy, Chad, Karl, Alan, Garry, Sherrel, Phil, James, Jerome, Patrick, Joe, Jim, Dave, Curt, Ken, Tom. Always appreciated.

Did some more ballasting on the grain elevator spur yesterday, and started some ground cover as well.
View attachment 45231
Didn't do any further work over by the casket manufacturer yesterday. You may be asking "what are you doing over on the workbench?" On Sunday, I started a Bar Mills laser-cut kit that I had on the shelf, Dolly's Confectionery.
It will be going in between the grain elevator and the tannery.
View attachment 45232
View attachment 45233
On Sunday, I primed and painted the walls, Monday I added the interior bracing and added the trim. Yesterday I added the "painted on" signs and started assembling the walls.
View attachment 45234
View attachment 45236

Greg -

I keep a whetstone next to the workbench and sharpen them all of the time. I can certainly afford new ones and have bulk packs of the ones that I use the most, but I like doing it and it keeps my skills sharp - pun intended. Since I have four Exacto handles, I don't have to constantly change blades either.
Guy - Speakiing of critters, I understand some folks uneasiness around snakes. I don't mind them at all. Here's one that lives on my property, haven't seen it yet this year (too early), but it's over 8' long.
View attachment 45229
My wife would have a heart attack if she knew that I got this close to one, especially one this large. It is not a poisonous variety, not even aggressive towards humans. Keeps the rats down on my rural property.
Beady - Positive thoughts to you and your family in regards to your mother. It's a hard decision to make. We had to make that decision many years ago with my mother. Thankfully it lasted less than an hour.
Sherrel - The last time that any neighbors had that done was 38 years ago, and they charged $100 per pole, wiring included. I don't know how much it costs now, but I am sure that it is more.
Curt -

He's quite arrogant as well. I suggested to him that he not cut the brush back that bordered the creek bed on the lowest part of the property when I saw him doing it; it helped control water runoff I told him. But he did it anyway to "make the place look presentable". In two years, that creek bank has eroded by over two feet and the creek has washed out over 50' of his newly installed fence; which both I and the fence company that installed it suggested that he situate it about 10' back from where he wanted it.. I had seen first hand the power of the water flow off his property before. Nobody that drives down our road cares if his place looks "presentable".

Everybody have a great day.

Morning! Willie your skills are mad! Awesome! As for the snake....I love them! I lived in Florida off and on 15 years. 11 years in Arkansas too. So ya snakes are plenty. I used to have a 2 black snakes on my Florida property averaging around 6 plus feet. I loved them guys. They kept the rats in check and kept the poisonous snakes at bay. Most people don't know black snakes aka racers will eat poisonous snakes. I always protected them didn't want anyone knowing about them on my property. They actually had a young ones during that time and the little ones moved on each year. I named them P&J (peanut butter and jelly) lol Here in upstate NY (Adirondacks) I get plenty of them as well. Garter and grass snakes. Eastern Diamond backs are plenty here unfortunately. When I go turkey hunting....(soon this spring) I always am on the look out for them. Any how ya'll have a good day. Work is begging me to get things done. Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back