Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 28 degrees to start the day with the possibility of some snow showers.

Not much going on here. Was supposed to meet my friend for lunch but the place is closed like many across the country. Was thinking of going to the Y and get some exercise,but they were closed as well as the Bozeman Hot Springs where I was hoping to get some swimming in. Ended going over to my friends place for a while and played some pool and then came home and went down to the train room. That's most likely where I'll be later today. Getting tired of the news on TV. I do realize that the virace is a problem but I also feel that the media coverage is contributing to the panic of some people.

89881419_504416456910182_120020468789936128_n.jpg There is no real shortage of goods except for the panic buying of idiots. I do feel bad for the truckers that are having a hard time trying to find places to eat and shower as they cross the country. There are very little services available to them and the country NEEDS what they bring to the stores.

Terry - It is good to hear that your wife is off of the respirator. Hope they can figure out what's up.

Curt
- Nice to hear that you're in the planning stages of a new layout. Waiting to hear what you come up with.

Greg - Happy that you finally got the SD-39 running. Your wife is probably doing the right thing with so many stores and services unavailable.

Joe - That was quite the fire. They did a great job keeping it from spreading to the other buildings. Our local volunteer fore Dept has never lost a basement. Nice photos as usual. Interesting article on the train load of TP.

Willie - Sorry to hear about your wide open spaces being intruded on. I feel your pain. I have been going through that for years now with all of the newbies moving in and wanting everything that they had from where they fled to get here. Nice photos as usual. Really like all of the small details.

Garry - Thanks for posting about the steam generation car. Saw the post on my phone yesterday but hate to try typing on it. Nice photo by the way. I almost picked one up for the Northern Pacific but really wouldn't have need it.

Jim - Nice photos of the Durango & Silverton. I have ridden on it a number of times but never had the opportunity to take photos like these.

I may turn on the gadget that my son ordered to stream different TV programs with also. Haven't had much time to play with it, but the train room will be first on the list of things to do.

006.jpg

Later

Woke up this morning to a 5.7 earthquake centered around 10-12 miles from her. (Just had an aftershock as I am writing this -- worst one -- computers swaying).

Not being in California, worst earthquake I've been in. Quite scary. Some stuff fell off walls, shelves, etc. Nothing major and nothing broken. Everyone on edge. No train damage.
+

Woke up this morning to a 5.7 earthquake centered around 10-12 miles from her. (Just had an aftershock as I am writing this -- worst one -- computers swaying).

Not being in California, worst earthquake I've been in. Quite scary. Some stuff fell off walls, shelves, etc. Nothing major and nothing broken. Everyone on edge. No train damage.
+

Where would here be??

Morning, everyone!
Time to sit and have a coffee. It's dark and overcast right now; I have no idea what's in store for us today weather-wise, but I have no intentions of looking out the window all day. The few facilities we have here are in lock-down, so if we go out it will be into nature and the outdoors.

Willie - That's a fine looking confectionary, reminds me of the one we had in my hometown a real long time ago. It was a similar building called the Blue-Top Inn. Had a coffee bar and sold tons of candy at 3 for a penny. It was the only place in town that had a soft ice-cream machine.
Well done, indeed, with you're progress in construction.
I've got a nasty neighbor like yours. Thinks he knows everything; calling the by-law officer on me when he don't like something I do and breaks all the rules himself. Can't hand pick you're neighbors, but, you can sure a ell ignore them. - I don't call by-law officers, and I don't stick my nose in his business; so long as he stays on his side of the fence.

Chet - Nice; really nice scenery and train on you're layout. Very inspirational.

The more I look at my rock face, the more I think I'm going to re-paint it. I think I should move into the browns and greens instead of the dark greys. Perhaps, that's what I'll do today. I'm still trying to finish the paint on that 15" piece of track; wash after wash going down, trying to make it look realistic. - In our area, the rail ties are seriously leaning to the black scale. I believe they are saturated with oils and creosote.

chadbag - Wow, I just read that earthquake message. Good luck with that. If I were you, I'd get outside and away from buildings until the all-clear. We don't get earthquakes here, so I don't know much about them.

I didn't take any pictures yet today, so I'll leave you with this prototype photo of a 40yr old SD-40 that was in town with a zebra-stripped friend a couple weeks ago. I have no idea what these two are hanging around town for, but they have been showing up often. Thankfully, I have collected many photos!

EMD SD40-2W_03-04-2020 (16).JPG

All have a great day!!
Guy

Where would here be??

Sorry, I thought the forum showed location as part of the poster data but it doesn't. We live near Salt Lake City. According to my sister in law in Japan, who texted my wife, the epicenter was about 4km NNE of Magna Utah. We live just about due south of Magna about 7 miles. It was scary, as it lasted for 15-20-25 seconds and you could hear rattles, a few things falling, etc.

Still getting mild afters shocks. Some just enough to hear and some enough to sway my iMac and IKEA tables.

Up to now the worst I'd felt was in the early 90s and it was like 3am or 4am and I was logged into a computer -- a unix system on campus -- and was working on a project for a university computer class when the computer and card table I was working at started swaying a bit. It was late enough that you were not sure whether or not you were tired and your eyes were playing jokes on you or if it was a real event, but then everyone started "talk"-ing and asking if everyone had felt it. So we knew it had been something,

Good Morning Gents. About 40 with light rain. Headed in this morning to move a couple pieces of equipment onto a new job and a mile from the house it cancelled. Rain. Fine with me, I'm getting to old to work in the rain.. Back where its warm. No good pics from the trainroom so I'll post one from the Portola, CA RR museum.
IMG_0101.JPG

You are right, Sherrel. I did find that interesting. I've been to all of those places you mention; I've been up the Alaska highway 3x front to back, before it was paved. Today, it's just another paved road. Back then, it was an adventure.
If you've been up to Alaska, I suspect you are well familiarized with cool weather.
They've paved the Alcan? You're kidding! We drove it 35 or 40 years ago: in a VW Rabbit, roof-mounted luggage rack, U-Haul trailer bigger than the car, two adults, two toddlers and a dog. The whole trip from Anchorage to Burlington, VT, was 4,655 miles (yes, I still remember that number); used a quart of oil and had to patch a tire. Took 14 days. The only wildlife we saw the whole way was a single sheep. This was back in the days when you took your photographic film to the drugstore to be developed, and the photos we got back were of someone's backyard party!

They've paved the Alcan? You're kidding!
1980 was the last time I was up the Alcan, trying to make Fairbanks, AK. Didn't make it all the way, as I rolled my Chevy pickup on a pin-hair outside of Liard. The truck was still running, but, I brought it back to Edmonton as a roofless, windowless convertible.
I have not been up the entire road since, but, I'm hearing it has been straightened out and is wall to wall pavement. Honestly, though, I haven't been beyond Dawson Creek since then. I believe it is all paved now.

Good Morning Everyone....overcast and drizzle in this part of Wisconsin. Snow/mix north of us.

Chadbag: I live in Southeastern Wisconsin and our house almost directly on what's called the Waukesha Fault line that's a fault line that was discovered in a limestone quarry in Waukesha, Wisconsin and extends beyond our location. We experienced one earthquake that relatively mild. This part of Wisconsin is known for its limestone quarries and the Niagara Escarpment that runs all the way to New York State and the Niagara Falls area.

Trouble with our cable television reception and worked on one receiver box for an hour to get a picture on the TV. The cable company has limited staffing and I knew nothing about re-booting the Gateway for our Telephone/Television/Internet services. Everything is done via a recorded messaging. But it seems to be working now.

Planning a quick trip to cabin to see if the snow as melted so we can have our sliding patio delivered and installed. Being in the woods the snow is slow to melt.

After lunch back to the train room and do some minor projects. Yesterday, my arm hit a parts container and four small screws landed on the carpeted floor. I could find two of them and the other two are gone, maybe forever.

Short 'n sweet....

Greg

##############

The more I look at my rock face, the more I think I'm going to re-paint it. I think I should move into the browns and greens instead of the dark greys. Perhaps, that's what I'll do today. I'm still trying to finish the paint on that 15" piece of track; wash after wash going down, trying to make it look realistic. - In our area, the rail ties are seriously leaning to the black scale.

McLeod: You maybe able to use beach to provide a fresh start by removing the coloring. Test an area first. I used Yellow ocher, Burned Sierra and Raw Sienna and black washes (India Ink with water) for my rock formations.

I added some fine ground foam for plant life.

Greg

IMG_0243.JPG

GREG - Get out that handheld vacuum you just bought - put a screen, panty hose, or piece of screen over the suction and let it find the screws?

Sherrel, great idea except I'm wearing my only set of panty hose! But seriously, I try the vacuum and since the collection holder is small I'll use a uncoupler magnet and run it through the debris.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back