Running Bear's March 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 67 already and partly cloudy, should hit 80 today. Next 5 days in the 60s and 70s - yes, goodbye winter!!

Time for coffee, coffee, and more coffee, please, Flo. Go ahead and bring me some scrambled eggs and bacon, while you're at it.

Burlington Bob, Karl, Flip, Sherrel, Patrick, and anyone i may have missed - thanks for the likes yesterday.
Willie - nice continuing work on your layout.
Karl - thanks for that electrifying news.

Have a good day everyone.

Woke up early this morning - up and dressed - grabbed the keys, and drove to the market ... only to find that they had changed the time for us "old folks" to 7 rather than 6 AM. I'll make another attempt in about 20 min from now.

It's 40 outside - about as cold as I have seen it all winter! Supposed to reach 60 later on with clear sunny skies - we have had some sort of rain 4 of the last 7 days - but the total is less than an inch. You guys back there would laugh at what we call rain.; the drops are huge, but they are 3-4 feet apart!

FLO - I'll just have a quick biscuit with egg, cheese, and sausage, please.

Willie - I like your artistic touch! With a little more practice - you might make it into the Lourve (with a paid admission) LOL.
I think I failed to mention the fencing - I like it all droopy the way it is. I have seen hundreds of miles of droopy fence like that.

Well - better go -- hopefully will return!

Good morning, y'all. Cloudy with a 40% chance of rain.

Thanks for the concern about the annoying toothache. Last night was a relatively sleepless night. I ended up sleeping upright, with a heating pad around my neck, on the couch. Positive result was the muscle tension relaxed, and the pain dissipated. I still have to see a Dentist for the tooth, but the urgency isn't there any longer. I will call for an appointment today.

Willy: It's obvious that you paid attention to the Bob Ross videos. I'm going to try my own Bob Ross going here. ;)

FWIW: My incomplete railroad is now running with DCC. Runs pretty well, considering that my buss is not complete yet. You are vindicated, "New Guy", where ever you are. There is no appreciable voltage drop at the furthest reaches, which will eventualy have their own power district. I have a 3.5 Amp power booster on order from Trainworld, but Governor Cuomo ordered all non essential work places shut down into April, and Model Train distribution and fulfillment is not considered essential according to the State of New York :(:rolleyes:

CR 6380-6385 SB at B&P Jct May 1983.jpg

The photographer, George Pitz was a Train Director at B&P Jct. tower the day the photo was taken. Train is coming off of "A" track,and is about to enter the B&P Tunnel.
CNJ Coaster on PC at South St. Newark 1968.jpg

This would be a CNJ train off of the North Jersey Coast Line, from Bayhead to Newark Penn Station, under the Aldine Plan. B&O power was "leased" to CNJ, by parent B&O. Eventually CNJ would paint their passenger cars in the B&O scheme to match the power.

Good morning America! It's 73 and the sun is shining. Supposed to get to about 81, same as yesterday. Going to get our info together to get our new license plates today. Hate to get out and about but don't have much choice. Decided to do it now before things get worse. Tennessee has relaxed the requirements for getting new driver's licenses, but I fear things will continue to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Did get out for another drive yesterday and got to see some beautiful scenery. Gas prices have varied from a low of $1.40 to $2.40 a gallon for gas. Crazy!!! Didn't mow yesterday, so that will be one of the things on my to do list. Whittling it down little by little, only to have something else added!

Boris-Good luck with the tooth. I'm back to normal after two wisdom teeth removed. It wasn't a tooth ache, but it still hurt like h@%*!!!

Willie- I agree with Sherrel, I like the loose look for the fence. Just need to out a cow on the other side of the fence!

Karl-I saw that one coming about half way through! Good one!

Terry-Good luck on your job!

Got to run, or I won't get anything done! Later!

Good Morning Everyone! And a fine morning it is, indeed!
I would have been in earlier, but, I had to drive out to Blue Ridge, where my wife had locked her keys in the truck. So I did that at around 7ish this morning. There's no sense in getting upset about things like that; shit happens.

Sherrel - You calling 40 cold reminds me of my guiding days, when I had to put heaters into the blinds for the southern hunters. That effectively turned them into sweat huts for me.

Willie - If you have to mow for 3 hrs, you might want to consider a herd of sheep. Or plant a forest. Or get a Shulte 15' batwing mower. Anything else but mow for that long. I really like your buildings. That Bar Mills boiler store is just the style I like. Makes me want to get ahold of some scale wooden clap-board, and soon.

Boris - So sorry to hear you have a bad tooth. Bad timing. The last time that happened to me, I soothed it with ample straight whiskey shots, and I don't even drink. It was the only thing that was effective. Fortunately, I was able to get ahold of the local dentist, who opened his shop at 4am to take care of me.

Karl - Reading through posts here-in, I believe you have some kind of auto shop. Do you think you can fix this old Chevy we have sitting around locally, (photo taken last summer):
ModelA19 (2).JPG

On the home front, I did manage to complete the 2-car garage. I suppose it's done well enough where granny decided to park her car in it:
Garage_03-27-2020 (1).JPGGarage_03-27-2020 (2).JPGGarage_03-27-2020 (3).JPG

Now that it's done, I have to find another project to work on. Perhaps work on my own layout will finally begin. Now, there's an idea.

Thank you, to those who take their valuable time to look at and like my simple postings. It means alot in a social kind of way.

All Have a Great Day!!
Guy

Good afternoon. It's cloudy and 65.
We finally got some answers just before lunch.
We are closing today at 5, until April 17--unless the executive order is extended.
We are not considered an essential business, though the RV dealership across the street is. I guess they bribed our politicians more than we did.
We will not be paid for this time off, we were told to file unemployment claims. We are not allowed to use our accrued vacation time to fill in for the income loss, per the owner.

Good afternoon. It's cloudy and 65.
We finally got some answers just before lunch.
We are closing today at 5, until April 17--unless the executive order is extended.
We are not considered an essential business, though the RV dealership across the street is. I guess they bribed our politicians more than we did.
We will not be paid for this time off, we were told to file unemployment claims. We are not allowed to use our accrued vacation time to fill in for the income loss, per the owner.
Unbelievable Terry, that the other shop is opened. Somebody musta got a payoff! We are open, but half the techs refuse to come in, and I have only written 3 jobs for the day. Normal day the shop handles 40-50 cars a day. We are here being exposed to possible viruses all while our commission checks dwindle to nothing. My hourly guys sit and play cards, the flat rate guys wont bother to come in unless we are busy. The whole situation is just plain aggravating! :mad:

That looks very similar to the layout I'm in the process of building.
Terry-the N scale layout started as a Woodland Scenic's kit that a LHS wanted to use as a window display, Several Wrecking Crew members built the layout about 20 years ago. Just before the LHS changed hands, the owner gave the layout to the club and we remodeled it somewhat.to display at local train shows. Age and rough handling caused electrical and track problems, so a new 4' x 8' N scale layout was built.
After our holiday show, the old layout was stripped of vehicles and structures. and I hauled off the trashed base to my trailer at the lake.

Phones are for talking to other people. ;)
Willie- I normally use a DLSR camera for pictures because it is easy to download pictures to my computer. I only recently got a phone that can take pictures. I need lots more practice to get good pictures.

Guy- the garage sure looks good.
When are you going to start building the house it goes with?
Thanks, Mickey. Actually, no plans to build a house. Going to use the garage as a young adult car club bldg. near the village downtown area. This was something that existed in my early 60's youth. I was too young to be in the car club, but, I hung around in the rafters watching the big boys without their knowing I was hiding in there.

Already 86* and going higher. Will be in the 90's the next 3 days with NO rain in sight. Eleven days now with NO rain.
Couple of counties have closed the the public beaches .
Used WALLY-WORLDS pickup service . Worked very nicely. The parking lot was half filled. WHY ???
Hope all are staying well and not being bored.
Prayers for ALL- and I do mean all around the world.
Phil

I see California just shut down Santa Anita race track. It's not like you can just shut the door and go home. About 1,500 horses make it their home. Most of the people who take care of the horses live at the track All though it's called the sport of kings not everyone in the business is rich. More people wondering what's next. If you listened to what Governor Cuomo said this morning "you'll be a better person when this is over". I say, you'll be a better bankrupt person when this is over.
George

I see California just shut down Santa Anita race track. It's not like you can just shut the door and go home. About 1,500 horses make it their home. Most of the people who take care of the horses live at the track All though it's called the sport of kings not everyone in the business is rich. More people wondering what's next. If you listened to what Governor Cuomo said this morning "you'll be a better person when this is over". I say, you'll be a better bankrupt person when this is over.
George

When life hands you lemons, do your best to make lemonade!

Afternoon All,

My daughter told me today someone at her husbands construction site tested positive for COVID 19. SIL said he didn't work with the individual, but his work partner (he installs elevators) refused to go to the site. I think Patrick stayed home until they can find someone to work with him.

I got news from the friend that placed my order at Walthers. I ordered about $420 retail. All the items were on sale and I received his discount and because he combined 3 orders there was no shipping/taxes. My balance after everything was about $268. That makes me very happy. I should be able to pick it up on Wednesday.

I started the new version of the layout track plan. I'm about 1/2 way done with it and I believe will work out much better.

Mikey- Looks like a nice little layout.

Sherrel- I have the same issues with my Colorado.

Joe- Been there, done that, have a first place trophy. I hope you get relief quickly. Nice photos.

Willie- That will be a nice looking kit when put together.

Guy- The garage looks great.

Terry- Sorry to hear your news.

I hope everyone has a good night.

CURT - That's a hell of a deal that you got there .. looking to see what you come up with on a plan, although I know you will more that likely make numerous changes as you proceed.

Good news to report from up at the Daughters house. The pool pump that "we" replaced yesterday is a success (as of this writing). We initially had a leak from the connection on the filter tank (which was not there before) and after a disassembly and tightening - then we had a leak at the bottom of the pump/impeller connection. Michael and I both had a few choice words over that because we were tired of fooling with it. There is a HUGE odd-shaped "O ring" that really did not fit as it should have and we sort of stuffed it in place; I just knew that Michael had let it slip when he was on the ground trying to stab the pump motor into the impeller housing - and we would have to disassemble everything, including the filter setup again to get to it. It was not leaking but just a steady drip/drip, so I said, "Let's wait until today to work on it again."
Michael called me about 7 PM and with a joyous shout, informed me that it had stopped leaking - Oh glorious day!
I might add here that my patch on the bathroom towel bar worked out well too!
I think one could do chin-ups on it now?

I am the resident "fix-it man" around here. Michael is the pharmacist and barely owns a screw driver - no pliers, no wrenches, nothing. I am going to give him some of my duplicates - I got lots and he is not afraid to use them - just needs a little coaching ... he actually did at least 2/3 of the work.

JOE - Hope the tooth behaves - I know first hand what you have going on!

Good day everyone,

Got an email from our corporate office today stating that much research we were deemed an essential business. I think the upper corporate hierarchy deemed us bottom feeders essential. We will go back Monday in split shifts. There are only 2 of us in the shop , so I guess we both go in. They will monitor the situation closely (from their homes).

Did a little more benchwork today. Got my end cap mostly squared away. Now I’m to the other side backdrop, and I’m close to being able to run trains again. Here’s how the end cap turned out.

Stay safe everyone!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back