Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, you guys are mean. Come Christmas time, all you'll get is a lump of coal.

Happy Easter or Passover whichever you believe.

Phil

Gee, you guys are mean. Come Christmas time, all you'll get is a lump of coal.

Happy Easter or Passover whichever you believe.

Phil
That's the plan, so we can forward the coal to Justin for his coal mine.

I went out this morning to watch the Chinese space station fly over. Right on schedule. It appeared as a very small point of light that seemed to pulse very slow due to it's slow rotation and the sun reflecting off of it.

Good morning. It's clear and 33.

Ken, the way things have been going here, I almost expect that space station will crash-land in my back yard...

Good Morning All. 50° and clear, very bright. The estate is a bit drier and I ventured into the garden yesterday and picked broccoli and asparagus for supper last night. Some of the broccoli will be put into the freezer later today for enjoyment later in the year. Seems to be a bunny rabbit munching on some of my spinach, so I will have to take preventative measures today. They are easily repelled by sprinkling some blood meal around the row. Since rabbits are vegetarians, they smell it and go the other way and it is also a great fertilizer as well. Later today I will be making deviled eggs to take to our annual family Easter egg hunt. No we won't be hunting for deviled eggs. A smaller gathering than usual with only 25 adults and 9 children. We used to have a rule that you couldn't have a cocktail until you found your egg but that has fallen to the wayside in recent years. Recent change is any egg for a person 55 or older has to be at eye level...good rule.

Out in the train shed yesterday, some landscaping and detailing was done, not much as I mostly ran trains while waiting for inspiration. I also ended up cleaning and dusting about two dozen freight cars that hadn't moved in a few months. Not much dust, but there were some tiny spiderwebs so everything got cleaned and inspected. I have a species of spiders that are about 1/32" big and love model trains; their webs are just as much a nuisance as much larger spiders.

Mike - Sounds like you have a great plan for your week alone.
Chet - I thought that I had actually stocked enough kits and stuff before I retired. While I still have some on the shelves, I am realizing that I did not get enough for certain areas. Industry-wise I am almost OK, but I have three areas 2' x 24' that are essentially blank and three smaller places still to go. I have about two dozen kits built for these areas, but it isn't going to be enough. I pick up a few DPM and similar kits every time I visit the LHS in Addison. That's what I mostly am going to use. I have duplicates because with different paint schemes and viewing angles on different aisles and levels, it's hard to tell that they are the same kit. Now freight cars are a different matter, I definitely have too many.
Ken (D&J) - I like the idea of gluing the eggs shut, especially Terry's idea of leaving them empty.
Terry -
I almost expect that space station will crash-land in my back yard...
Don't tell anyone lest you get hit up for a tariff on importing Chinese metal!

Well, everyone have a great day and a Happy Easter if that's what you observe, or a Happy Passover if that's your leaning.

Willie

Good morning fellers. I see we are off to a good start this morning judging by the posts I've read. So hitting on the NF&G railroad again. The railroad of my stomping grounds. I'll share with you a system map. What is commonly called the Greenbrier coalfields. Its these very coalfields where my little brother worked as a red hat miner and then eventually a black hat and shift foreman before he gave it up as he got laid off yet again. Moving on the age of the engine house dates back to the days of steam. Back when it was actually the New York Central and C&O. And a shot inside the engine house when it was still in use.
e972fa2ac8ca0ad60a779a797ce95929.jpg
43e014f98505ed1d50952ee0bc2021d4.jpg
d267df8dd5b9af238462c97cee2e8b2f.jpg
2be7ce01beb670cb65ff10ba75e4b2cb.jpg
b731e75ecd575dbf9e106ac70deb587b.jpg

Justin

Good Morning Everyone.....rainy and cold in Wisconsin, while northern Wisconsin is due for heavy snow...have a friend in northern Wisconsin and as of last Saturday he had 20 inches of snow on the ground and 30 inches of ice on the lakes!

Had a great day working on the layout yesterday. Secured a roof top billboard and details to the former Walther's Ale House. Pictures soon. Worked on a lot of odd details on the layout and transferred some old, faded signs to a disk to have a copy supply store transfer them to decal paper will a laser printer. Miss working since I had a laser printer within 10 feet of my office.

Started to prepare a hard to reach section of the layout to lay one section track that needs to be fitted and the rail joiners soldered. Moved some buildings out of harms way. Going to be a fun job reaching and standing on a stood to do the work. Just proves that everything on a layout should be within a easy reach.

Cut out photographic back ground buildings and attached them to foam board for the Waupaca Industrial area. These products from Trackside Scenery are a great improvement over Walther's Horizon backgrounds. I'll add some signs, grasses in front and light fixtures to the photographs to give them more of a 3D effect.

Watched a Gerry Leone video demonstrating how to string lines on utility poles. He showed a great and easy way to attach the lines using Canopy glue by Pacer.

Kitchen Remodel Job...Finalized the kitchen remodel job and saw that the contract included permits for plumbing and building. I called the Building Department for my home town and they said yes I needed the permits and there would be at least three inspections for each permit taken out during the job. The person I spoke to said that the kitchen needed to be up to today's codes. One code requires a GFI on every electrical outlet on or near a kitchen counter top. I purchased the GFI's and will install before the project even starts...not going to spend any more money on contract labor which I would have to do if the inspectors would see no GFI's installed and they would require a licensed electrical to do the work. If that happened I may need an electrical permit as an added bonus.

Used to working with building inspectors...they are just doing their job.

Of course, the new face plate design for the GFI's do not match the existing light or switch covers...more work!

Garry: That last photo of your layout keeps giving me more ideas.

Ken: Prior to my retirement I stocked up on rolling stock kits to build after my retirement. Well, after six years they are still unopened.

Justin: That Greenbrier Coal Field map looks great. Would be easy to draw one for our layouts.

Was planning a trip to Walther's, but the weather is so lousy. Just need to get some gas for the day trip to the cabin tomorrow. 30 degree temperatures and they should be in the 50's...where's Spring?

If I don't tackle the track project just plan on completing small projects again today. May kit bash a old DPM "practice" building for an angled foreground building for the Waupaca industrial area or start another background building.

No big Easter dinner plans for tomorrow. The Family is growing smaller and older and so many of the remaining relatives now go to their children's homes for Easter.

Anyway, a fast shower, trip to the gas station, lunch and then down to the trains.

That's all for now.

Greg

################

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on the space station falling. The 1997 International Space Treaty declared that anything that is in orbit or in flight around the earth or into a flight path to other parts of space from earth remains the property of the nation that put it up there. That includes if it should fall back to Earth or crash onto another body in space, i.e. the moon, Mars, Venus or even an asteroid. So, if the Tiangong-1 should fall in your back yard, you have no claim to it and if you should decide to take a piece of it as a souvenir, you can be charged with stealing. On the other side of it though, if it should do damage to your property, you can file a claim against the owner, but in this case being it belongs to China, good luck with trying to collect.

Greg - I have about a dozen rolling stock kits, but I bought those for my grand sons to assemble when they come out here. One of those kits would take only a few hours to complete. My retirement projects are to do a lot more scenery on my empire and do a lot of motorcycle trips during the riding months. The motorcycle trips would be on courses with railroads and major model railroad exhibits, museums and shows.

Justin - the fifth picture in your last post looks like the Chessie loco is peaking into the shed wondering what that little Ford is doing on the track.

So I've been a little busy today. Put together a boxcar kit Ken sent to me. I'm a sucker for kits. I really enjoy putting together freight car kits. I have quite a few I haven't put together yet. Mostly Con cor hopper kits. However I was looking to mate the one boxcar I have with another. Ken just so happened to have one he couldn't use. I can use it! It's already a permanent resident on the layout.
7b9038a17e58d67d9e168ae3474bf891.jpg
275ee4fa7bee743ea4a00b129ac55edc.jpg

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back