Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
morning guys its a brisk 48* here in sunny florida , I'm on the defensive today I have to intercept a usps package that is coming that the estrogen based lifeform doesn't know is getting delivered !!!! so looks like I'm hanging out on the porch today :p

Ah yes! Ive been there as well. If I can retrieve it, and get it to the basement I'm golden! When asked when did I get that, I can say Honey I've had that for a while.

Good Morning.

Doyle (Big E's Little Brother)....... I think you said you would update the obituary with more information. I looked at the link posted by Willie, and it looks like it is unchanged. .....

Blackz28 .... I think I know what you mean. .... You ordered train stuff, and you went to sneak it in the house. ... Right ?

I can only think that those of you who sneak stuff into the house, thinking your wife won't find out are only fooling yourself. They are a whole lot smarter than you think. When they ask, "when did you get that"? They already know the answer, they're just checking to see if your character has improved since the last time. They die in their heart knowing that their husband lies to them on the simple things. Gee, why does my marriage suck?

As promised fellers! Pictures taken in Ronceverte, WV. Caught a sight unseen before. GP40 with a roadslug on it. What was once a team track. Now storage? My coaling tower. And the abandoned boxcars.
52a70875d068161b53970f84576495c1.jpg
f9ba1c5f5590361273423eebb55fdd8f.jpg
7805622b6025035e29a8d65e39bdfda8.jpg
78ff9058a640b0fd2b0c20148acbdbba.jpg
26cfecfd84a28ee09d243b8de36f476d.jpg
101656c613f91ed9da61d99e9e960a79.jpg

Justin

Justin: Looks like a productive road trip. The Walthers coal tower, is very close to the appearance of the old C&O coal tower. Note the climbing vines on the side. There is a detail to strive for. The rest of the photos were good, especially the road slug set. Overcast and low ceiling complete the essence of coal country.

Ronceverte, WV, eh? Passed through there in 1966, and again in 1967 Westbound on C&O #1 The George Washington, enroute from D.C. to Dayton, OH via Cincinnati. Couldn't see much, considering it was dark, and I was asleep in the Slumbercoach.

This should give you many ideas for your scenery, and operations. The GP40 - GP30slug set is a project just begging to be modeled, although, it's a CSX concept, rather than Chessie or C&O.

The coaling tower is the very reason I decided to go on my railroad adventure today. I wanted a reference on how to model mine. And out of all the rail pics of Ronceverte there was never any pictures taken of the boxcars. So now I have my own pictures of them. They have been there for quite some time. Used to be they were buried in the bushes. I was amazed at how well they have cleaned up around them. There used to be a freight house sadly it burned down a few years back. Southern states has a boxcar hidden on a spur track I didn't know was there. I can't get to it without trespassing. I'm not about to do all that. The slug set is sitting where the Allegheny pusher normally sits. I'm not sure if this is the pusher set or not. I'd like to see a drag come through that needs a shove up the grade.

Justin

blackz28:

What it worth to you for us Forum members to keep quiet about your new purchase and not tell the Estrogen Based Lifeform?

Greg

You guys are doing it all wro:Dng.....my last 2 estrogen based life forms bought me stuff,,,, and brass ones too!!

Howdy ....

Talking about wives, I will say my Main Squeeze is supportive of my hobby. She even realizes my hobby takes much of my time, and is therefore not excessive with honey do's. She sometimes hires people to do work so I need not be a do-it-yourselfer for some work around the house. .... So far, however, she only bought me one brass locomotive. ...... We do like to razz each other all of the time, and that is why I enjoy joking around about hiding purchases of model train stuff. .... For those who have not yet heard why I call Shelley "My Main Squeeze". That nickname followed a near tragedy. She had a choking accident in a restaurant. I used the Heimlich method to save her. It took about 4 or 5 squeezes to clear the food out of her, and I nearly passed out myself doing that. By then, she was losing consciousness. I was very scared. I am very thankful it was not a tragedy.

OMG Garry - Good thing you knew how to do the Heimlich!:eek:

I almost lost my now-22yr-old daughter in a similar way. When she was ~2, she put a quarter in her mouth and somehow wound up inhaling it. She was already starting to turn blue when her mother found her - she held her upside-down by the ankles and shook her a few times and the quarter fell out. Probably not the way the CPR books teach how to do it, but thank God it worked! Luckily I was at work while this happened, she didn't call to tell me until 30 minutes after the event.

IIRC, you've had a few close calls yourself...

Garry: Well done! I tell my CPR-AED-FA students that the fact that they stepped up and tried to help makes them better than 99% of the schulbs that just stand there gawking. You did the right, and correct thing. Well done!

Which one of you is going to hold me by my ankles and shake that tooth out of me innards?
It still has not shown its self and I am sick and tired of looking for it. Only thing I can think is that it has to be "hung up" somewhere. I will have to bite the bullet and have a new upper at a cost of 1200 plus rather than a repair of 400. Real Bummer!

Justin I thought you may like this pic made in Springfield, MO - I think it was 1980?

Chessy and Frisco.jpg

Grandson's team won their first game 3-2, but lost the final 3-1 ... resulting in a number TWO PLACE for the FOUR state area!

P.S. It was only their second loss for the entire year from September until today!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everybody ...

Ken in MD .... Thanks for commenting. My son when two years old and a similar incident. It was a piece of hard hand that went down his windpipe. Since then I warn parents of small children about the dangers of hard candy.

Sam ..... Thanks. I was taught Heimlich when I was a teenager. Boy Scouts taught me. I did not think about it for my entire adult life until the emergency happened. Suddenly, I recalled all I needed to know I did what needed to be done. The people across the table said my wife's eye pupils had turned up into her forehead and there was just the white part of her eyes showing. As I said, I was scared. ... Feel free to tell about the CPR-AED-FA classes you teach. It is likely somebody's life will be saved because of what you teach. People will recall what they learned if an emergency occurs.

Sherrel .... Congratulations to your grandson's team ! Nice photo of Frisco and Chessie units.

Justin .... Your photos are very interesting. That concrete coal tower must have been better built than a concrete bridge in FL that collapsed a couple of days ago.

I was running train yesterday including the Empire Builder in the photo I posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning fellers. Going to finish up my mine tracks today and put in some more feeders. Especially on my turnouts. I want to make my layout bulletproof. Also I'll leave a better picture of the coaling tower in Ronceverte. I didn't capture a shot of the depot because there's enough photos of it. Y'all enjoy and I'll catch up to y'all later.
666c5c155729d07fc240b846bb268147.jpg

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back