Running Bear's LXXIII Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 54° and cloudy. A few sprinkles here last night, maybe .1", not nearly as much as I drove through coming home from my daughter's 40th B-day party last night. Dallas received slightly over 1/2", more might be here later this morning. Speaking of that party, the theme was a throwback to 1998, her 20th. There were a number of tv's set up around the house with video games from the 90's, and the music sucked. I donated floppy discs and cassette tapes for decor (am I a hoarder or what?). Party was still fun even though my wife and I were the only ones from our generation there. Earlier in the day, I did some more mowing to stay ahead of the chore.
Out back in the train shed, things are kind of on hold until I manage to get some sustained time out there. I did manage to glue together the rest of the pillars for the "Rix Highway Overpass" that I will be using as a scene break once I get closer to the staging yard on the current project. Took some pictures of progress but they were all blurred...should have used the flash instead of the "night" macro on the camera. Still looking for the picket fencing.

Phil - Monopoly, Chutes and Ladders, Clue, Life, Candyland, Go to the Head of the Class; where have the good times gone?
Terry - No heat for over a week, that sucks. I know that you cannot fire your landlord if I recall.
Garry - Click on the words "complete version" in Doyle's post #406 for the different obituary. While I learned (and later taught) the Heimlich as part of my First Aid training, I have been fortunate to never having to practice it. I did have to perform CPR once upon a time. Using that damn mouthpiece was cumbersome though. I actually learned before the mouthpiece came into use and had to be retrained. Fortunately the EMT station was less than a mile away and they were there very quickly to take over. The guy survived thankfully.
Justin - I like the pictures. The vines on the coaling tower would add a nice touch to the model.
Sherrel -Congratulations to your grandson. Best of luck finding the tooth. I'd just go with the new one myself as a reminder of a lesson learned.

Regarding sneaking train related purchases into the house: My wife is generally supportive of my hobby, although she demanded equal payback when I built an 800 sq ft "Train Shed" out back to house it all.

Hope that everyone survived St Patrick's Day. Have a great day.

Willie

Quick history! The roadslug set. CSX 6459 the GP40 in my photo is former B&O 4445. The roadslug is former B&O 6964. It was rebuilt in 1990 into a roadslug and has been mated to the GP40 for quite some time. Earliest date for the pair goes back to 1991. That's a really long time to have a mated pair of locomotives. They are a switcher set primarily. Makes one wonder what a switcher set is doing in Ronceverte, WV. I'm not aware of any industries that need switched here. Or anywhere up and down the line for that matter. I'll have to do some digging.

Ken this should interest you. Former B&O units on C&O lines in southern West Virginia.
3b21b23aa9e99cebe9f3c79c112ef1c1.jpg
050ef099e8567e618ee2df3f1404d0f3.jpg

Justin

Sun's coming up from behind the hills to the East. Sky is sharply clear with a temp of 37 degrees.

We had a pretty nice trip to Bakersfield. Sakes alive - the countryside east of Bakersfield has to rate up there with some of the beautiful places on earth. I was thinking that Ken D&H needs to come out and the two of us launch out in the RV for some serious train watching!
I did not get any photos of the trains; it was cold, wet, and rainey with a snow level down to about 4000 feet and we were tired and just wanted to get home, but I definitely want to go back w/o the Spousal Unit so I can dig around. I noticed that there were several mile long tank car trains in the yard there. I did not realize that the rail yard was that hugh - it's big! The countryside around Tehachapi was more rugged than I had envisioned from seeing videos of the loop, so have to make a special trip to see.

Willie ..... Sounds like you were a life saver with CPR. Good you could do that.

Dustin .... You said the units was rebuilt into a road slug in 1990. I recall it was VMV of Paducah, KY that did such work for the CSX about that time. VMV converted a lot of units to road slugs around that time. ... Your photo of B&O 6964 would be a good reference for those who want t either locomotives. That is a very dirty locomotive.

Good morning. Sunny and 29 degrees to start off the day.

Went snowmobiling yesterday up near West Yellowstone again. Had snow all day, but I hadn't recovered from the lost sleep and left early. The trails had been heavily used and the ride was so rough it would shale the nuts off of a brass monkey.

Justin - Really enjoyed all of the photos you posted. You must have had a really good time on that trip.

Guess I am lucky as the wife really doesn't care what I buy for the layout. Most all of my purchases don't cost much and when I do make a larger purchase such as the Atlas RS-1 I made a while back, I do let her know. So far no complaints.

I have had to use the Heimlich a few times over the years. Being an accident investigator, I was also given some Paramedic training which has come in handy over the years. The Heimlich is something everyone should know.

Sherrel - I would really like to also have the opportunity to roam around the Bakersfield area as there is so much railroading going on in the area.

When I got home, I did have a bit of time to go down to the train room. Got out some hydrocal and leveled the area where the blacksmith shop and trailer will be going. Got some brown paint down so no white would be showing. If I have time today (NASCAR race in California today) I'll start working on the grade crossing into the area and start putting down some ground cover.

20180317_163507.jpg 20180317_163520.jpg

I am still contemplating putting a pond in the depression on the left side of the second photo.

Later.

Hi gang, just checkin' in. 52*F and sunny in central MD.

Garry - I had my wife give me a "refresher" demo of the Heimlich shortly after I read your post yesterday; said she didn't want to squeeze too hard because it might choke me [lol]!

Sherrell - congrats to your grandson on his team's performance!

Chet - that area does look like an ideal spot for a pond, or maybe a swamp (with tall grass sticking out of it).

Justin - thanks for posting that photo of the B&O GP30 and consist! Brings back memories of my teen years when I would stop in at the B&O Riverside Engine Terminal in Baltimore to see what was there. I have that Walthers Coaling tower on my layout - spray painted the body with Krylon Camouflage "Sand" [because it looks like aged concrete], and used Krylon Camouflage Dark Brown for the chute, stairs, handrails and other rusted-out steel hardware.

Hi gang, just checkin' in. 52*F and sunny in central MD.

Garry - I had my wife give me a "refresher" demo of the Heimlich shortly after I read your post yesterday; said she didn't want to squeeze too hard because it might choke me [lol]!

Sherrell - congrats to your grandson on his team's performance!

Chet - that area does look like an ideal spot for a pond, or maybe a swamp (with tall grass sticking out of it).

Justin - thanks for posting that photo of the B&O GP30 and consist! Brings back memories of my teen years when I would stop in at the B&O Riverside Engine Terminal in Baltimore to see what was there. I have that Walthers Coaling tower on my layout - spray painted the body with Krylon Camouflage "Sand" [because it looks like aged concrete], and used Krylon Camouflage Dark Brown for the chute, stairs, handrails and other rusted-out steel hardware.
Good pointers on painting the tower. I was wondering what colors to make the coaling tower look more realistic.

Justin

'twas a DCC running day yesterday (Sunday) at the club, of which I am the usual keyholder. Had the clubrooms and layout all to myself from 9:00am till about 1:00pm before a couple of others wandered in, one of which was the club librarian. He told me that the committees of ours and the other clubs were organising a Skype conference to discuss the developments within the federal body. One line of resolution to be looked at, will be to ask the New South Wales Govt Office of Fair Trading (a dept that all states have to oversee Incorporated Clubs) in whose jurisdiction AMRA Inc operates, get involved.

Good afternoon everyone.....sunny and mild here in Wisconsin.

Just came up from the layout after doing some items I been putting off. Glued an evergreen tree in place that seems to lean every time I straighten it out. Replaced a bad coupler on an ore car and lubed the other. In the process I dropped one of coupler screws on my black and dark gray carpet squares in the layout room. Looked for all most an hour. No luck. Used a screw from a ore car waiting to be weathered.

I use a mechanic's chair on rollers and when I was just finishing up, I felt a roller run over something...there was my screw...almost 4 feet from where I was looking and working at the bench.

Been running a track cleaning train with a Masonite pad and a Dust Monkey. Today, I ran two CenterLine cars with ACT-6006 track cleaner. The rollers picked even more grime from the track.

I been checking my turnout frogs with all the discussion about frogs. Ran a 14 car ore train through the turnouts on the main. Ore cars will find the slightest flaws in trackage. One car jumped when traveling over the frog. Checked the wheels' gauge and they were fine, but found a burr in on one of the truck casting which was lower than the wheel and it was hitting the frog.

Programmed some locomotives while the train ran.

Discussed my future expansion plans to remove some shelving I built and install bench work for a freight yard. The Mrs. is coming around after seeing the results of the storage room organizing. The storage room now really looks sharp with a the matching boxes and stacked in a orderly fashion.

That's all for now.

Greg

#################

Good afternoon ...

Willie ..... Thanks for telling me to click on the link in Doyle's post. I just did that.

Doyle .... Again, I am sad about your brother's passing.

Chet .... I can imagine your previous work experience included Heimlich .

Ken in MD .... That's good you just practiced the Heimlich. I hope you don't need to use it though.

Regarding camp paint for "concrete", I use Rustoleum Khaki ...... Below us my Union Station painted with it.

35698965382_62ccd8b4ce_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon all.

No railroad activities today. I took advantage of the gorgeous weather, and worked some in the yard. If we get another measurable snow in the central part of the country. its my fault. I put the snow blower away today.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday

Mike.

Good afternoon all.

No railroad activities today. I took advantage of the gorgeous weather, and worked some in the yard. If we get another measurable snow in the central part of the country. its my fault. I put the snow blower away today.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday

Mike.

Ha,Ha, That's good, Mike. I'm ready for some warmer weather out here as well!

Terry- That's an awesome snow blower. Wonder what my neighbors would think of it when I fired it up at 4am before work! :D

Sunday March 18, 2018. Dad's birthday, almost forgot that till I looked for the date.
Good afternoon Track Gang, how is everybody?

Say Flo, how about a cup of coffee and a large bowl of Chilie beans and beef with some Colby and Jack cheese.

It's 57°F out going to a low of 33°F, Wind is more of a slight breeze at 5:21Pm;
Humidity is 47%;
Rain fall wise, during my absence I had 4.71 inches. Part of that was from some rock salt size hail. More rain is on the way this week so I'm gladI did some more patching.

I hope most are doing ok. I've had my problems to contend with first patching my roof where I forgot to do it earlier as my leg muscles had been acting up more than I wanted to get up on my roof.
Then the engine in my Eclipse has problems after I run over some thing that seemed to cause me to loose coolant and at the same time oil somehow which really is very strange to me. Of course, as this happened while driving the engine became very overheated.
Probably what helped considerably is that I always ran full synthetic oil with a couple of additives for years now. No water in the oil either which I'm glad about but I'm just hoping the engine is still rebuildable? More outlay of money unless I can get my auto insurance to cover it?

I haven't read but two of the prior posts so I have a lot of catching up to do.

With everything else going on I haven't done any RR'ing.

See you all in a bit.

Greg: If the screw had any iron in it, a magnet, on a stick or string probably would have been a big help in finding it.

Good morning gang,
39 degrees, going to 50, but yet the are calling for appreciable snow tomorrow, jeeez!
Happy Monday!

Howdy! 34 this morning, it didn't drop below freezing last night at the airport, where the weather reports are generated; however, here at home I have 30 degrees. They're predicting snow after 4:00 PM today, running through to tomorrow! Flo, bring me a hot bowl of Oatmeal and a shot of Jameson! I don't think I've posted in the LXXIII Club car yet. Anything new?

Migalyto, what does EAMUS CATULI mean, stand for?

BNSF971 and the V-8 Snow Blower, now if the guy only had some snow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy! 34 this morning, it didn't drop below freezing last night at the airport, where the weather reports are generated; however, here at home I have 30 degrees. They're predicting snow after 4:00 PM today, running through to tomorrow! Flo, bring me a hot bowl of Oatmeal and a shot of Jameson! I don't think I've posted in the LXXIII Club car yet. Anything new?

Migalyto, what does EAMUS CATULI mean, stand for?

BNSF971 and the V-8 Snow Blower, now if the guy only had some snow!

Remembering my Latin from a bygone era, I know that Eamus means "Let's go". Catuli???

Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back