Running Bear's June 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

62° and clear thhis morning, going for 85° later.

Headed for surgery in a couple of hours. Scheduled for about noon. Day half over before we even get started.

Looking at the garden this morning and will have about 4 cucumbers ready by the weekend. Garden is overall doing fairly well. Storms Sunday morning I was sure flattened the corn, but it's back standing tall on it's own.

Be back as I can.
Best to you with the surgery and recovery

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 69°. Cool day today, expecting just 82°, although that would be warmer than yesterday's high of 80°. That coolness was a bit of a waste since it rained before dawn and limited what could be done outside. Another wave approaching that looks like it will hit us around 3:00 this afternoon if it holds up. Long range forecast doesn't show any more rain until Thursday the 20th. But I don't trust anything from the NWS, and haven't since 1990 or so.

As I posted yesterday, the visit from FEMA was a bust. I wouldn't have even registered/scheduled it if their website had any indication that assistance was for primary residences only. Wife asked the guy why the train shed wasn't considered a residence since I spent so much time out there? :rolleyes:
Pool temperature dropped down to 82° yesterday, from 84.5°. Funny that it still felt great even though it was overcast and the air was cooler than the water.
Continuing on the cleanup efforts, mainly with downed trees and branches. Most of the "trash" debris in the yard is now gone to the dumpster. But there are still some large pieces of sheet metal from my train shed roof and neighbors structures scattered throughout my hayfield. Marty (my late neighbor's son) will have to remove them so he can cut the hay later. He does have the right equipment to do it with. Several of the pieces that are close to the road, I have moved or will move to the roadside ditch, and the county will eventually remove them when they come for the downed trees that they pushed there. Right now, they are concentrating their efforts in more populated parts of the county where it is much worse. They won't get into much of a rush since they don't usually do the first mowing until July at the earliest.

I finally got to spend some time out in the train shed yesterday. Still flattening out walls/roofs and reconstructing laser-cut wood structures. I don't remember all that I may have already posted, so overlook any duplicates.
Wayne's Feed is completed.
IMG_0277.JPG

Magee's Tire Service was completely dismantled, flattened and rebuilt.
IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

Another problem is with Betty's BBQ. Two issues here. Obvious is that all of the awnings fell off and many walls are warped.
IMG_0282.JPG

But another is that the rain dissolved the "wet glue" and the ground foam floated into a different spot and became fastened down where I don't want it.
IMG_0283.JPG

Yep! It's a solid mass. The Exacto #18 blade took care of most of it, I may have to repaint a little bit and of course replace what came off.
IMG_0284.JPG

When I was going to school back in the 60's here in Texas, we started after Labor Day and finished before Memorial Day. No such thing as Spring break, but about 10 days off around Christmas/New Years Day. Good Friday, yes, but no Easter Monday. Most schools were not air conditioned back then. I went to Catholic parochial schools and during the last two weeks of May, we did not have to wear our blazers. Still had to wear a tie though. They added the A/C sometime in the 80's. My elementary school still does not have it except offices and cafeteria. By the time my kids started here in the boonies, they started around August 20 and got out about a week before Memorial Day, with a Spring break now in the schedule.
Sherrel - Good luck with the Handicap placard. My wife doctored hers up and we still use it occasionally if needed. I only use it if there are multiple spaces open or if nothing else exists. I think that it's use is coming to an end soon, as I am seeing a newer design now.
Mike - You probably just didn't notice the handicap plates before. We've had them here in Texas for at least40 years. At one time, smaller businesses didn't have to provide marked spaces, but that changed sometime in the 90's. Many did anyway just to accommodate customers.
Swal - That's absurd that Medicaid has a model railroad rule there. I wonder if it applies to all citizens or just those in certain states?
Terry - Thanks for the update[?] on Karl. I just hope that all is well with him. I know that he has had previous serious medical issues.
You will probably rethink that policy after viewing my in my birthday bathing suit.
Probably no better or worse than me!!! OK though, as I don't have the security cameras trained on the pool any way.
Patrick - Best wishes on today's surgery.

Everyone have a terrific Tuesday.

Morning all,

62° and clear thhis morning, going for 85° later.

Headed for surgery in a couple of hours. Scheduled for about noon. Day half over before we even get started.

Looking at the garden this morning and will have about 4 cucumbers ready by the weekend. Garden is overall doing fairly well. Storms Sunday morning I was sure flattened the corn, but it's back standing tall on it's own.

Be back as I can.
Wishing you a safe surgery, and a speedy recovery!

Good morning Modelers! 47f degrees at wake up at 5:45am. It may get to 73. A repeat of the Wisconsin sky from yesterday, clear with no clouds but my big indicator of wind (the big tree 100 yards away) is not swaying at all.

I finished laying track and testing it in the Papermill yesterday before dinner. Temporary wiring has proved to me it will work the way I originally envisioned. Plus it gives me 3 additional spots to work and there is a possibility of 2-3 more. After the disappointing but entertaining hockey game last night I did some permanent soldering for the feeder wires. I will continue soldering this morning. There are 11 sets of feeders remaining and the paper mill trackage (old and new) will be back to full operations. My normal mode for turnouts is to finger flick. It has served me well in retirement but I will be going under the layout and adding manual switch machines with pull rods. I have 2 to install now and will need another 10 for the entire layout. I really do not like the look of the caboose industry throws and have ruled them out. My maybe over reaching goal is by July 16th (the next golf event) is to have the papermill completed to basic scenery. The pavement needs to be re-done, the wet chemical area and the surrounding Kraft Mill needs to be placed and between the Kraft mill, the paper machine building and the digesters is a 40” x 13” gap that now needs structures. I’m pretty sure I can get the basics done and the details will come later.

As some of you may remember I build my own trees. During the Stanley Cup playoffs during intermissions I twist wires to create the trunks and tree branches and put them aside. For the life of me though I cannot re-create a pine tree! I finished this year’s batch of Deciduous tree armatures before I headed out to golf last week. I counted this season’s creations during the intermissions last night. 562 armatures for heights in HO scale of 35 to roughly 60’. I will pick at them over the next few months creating fully leafed out trees.

So more layout work for me today! The granddaughter has her softball game at 5:30 per the text received this morning from the daughter. That I will go to…

Enjoy the day

Morning folks, at least it appears to be morning,

Cloudless, 48F, and a forecast high of 79. Another bad night with my wife. Up every hour on the hour after 1:30 am. I'm really uncertain how long I'm going to survive on 4 to 5 hours of sleep.

Willie yes it will. They haven't asked how much my model railroad is worth yet. I think the Medicaid rules state that you're not allowed to have over 50 cars & 10 engines. I'll have to sell 50 cars this weekend.
Swal
You have to be kidding? Medicaid has limits on model railroad equipment???? Do they have a list of other allowable toy numbers too? Not that that will make any difference in my case as I can't see anyway we would ever be qualified for Medicaid. I was hoping my wife would make it through the summer at home but I'm having some doubts about that now. The downhill slide is most definitely accelerating.

Swal, maybe you can "lease" some of that equipment out on a rotating basis.

You have to be kidding? Medicaid has limits on model railroad equipment???? Do they have a list of other allowable toy numbers too? Not that that will make any difference in my case as I can't see anyway we would ever be qualified for Medicaid. I was hoping my wife would make it through the summer at home but I'm having some doubts about that now. The downhill slide is most definitely accelerating.
They might even have a restriction on the road names you can use. Only current, no fallen flags.

To say I am confused in what Medicaid/Medicare want to know what railroad equipment anyone has.

I do know a number of members are going through a bad time.

Dawn and I send Thoughts & Prayers to those who need.
The light at the end of the tunnel is there. Some of us just have to take smaller steps.
Take Care.

Medicaid is means-tested -- if you have money you should be paying your own way and not the government paying your way -- and model railroads are evidently an asset that counts against the limits you are allowed to keep and still qualify.
I don't mind my wife paying her own way. I'm good with that. The fact is their telling me I can only own one car. The other car is an asset. What does this all have to do with me owning 2 cars but if I go out and buy a $75,000.00 truck that's OK as long as I only own one car. I don't how many train cars are concerted an asset. Just let me know what half of everything I get to keep. I wish it would end soon so I can figure out where I stand in all this. Just let me have my half you take the rest.
Swal

Fortunately, my mother's situation is far different than Swal's wife's situation. She's newly being considered for Medicaid.

My mother has been living in Medicaid subsidized housing four the last 14+ years. She qualified to live in the HUD building on the communities campus. While that may create a negative impression among some folks, in her case, small city in rural Indiana the HUD housing for seniors is not bad at all.

The management was responsive, the building well kept, but dated.

Now, she's moved to the nursing care side of the same campus. They're treating her well. Looking at online ratings, and talking with my sis-in-law who is an LPIN (2 year degree nurse), the ratings are actually good for nursing homes. A few deficiencies for smoke detectors or the odd entry blocked (they've got ongoing construction/remodeling - contractors aren't always aware of such or when inspections occur). Their worst rating is their staffing levels. And they line up with all but the very expensive care homes.

Mom's not going to get that level of high-priced we can afford everything Musk/Gates/Zuckerberg level of treatment.

So the home is good for what we can afford. Fortunately, Mom should qualify easily for Medicaid subsidies, based on her last 14 years receiving it. Right now her possessions aren't much. She owns her recliner, her TV, her phone, and clothing. Car got sold off about 7 years ago to a granddaughter. Who, on day one, before title had been transferred, had an unfortunate run-in with a deer who really wanted to ride to Kentucky with her. :eek:

Deer was in no condition to ride, and mom got her insurance payout of a couple thousand. She spent most of the settlement to keep Medicaid from taking it. You know, less than $2K in the bank.

So, our fingers are crossed for both my Mom and for Swal's wife. We can feel confident, but this is our federal government we're dealing with.

Last edited:
Medicaid is means-tested -- if you have money you should be paying your own way and not the government paying your way -- and model railroads are evidently an asset that counts against the limits you are allowed to keep and still qualify.
I would think the penny snatching bastards would count anything of value. In terms of dollar value, not quantity. My Tyco locomotives have far less value than my Lionel Vision Line locomotives.

I don't mind my wife paying her own way. I'm good with that. The fact is their telling me I can only own one car. The other car is an asset. What does this all have to do with me owning 2 cars but if I go out and buy a $75,000.00 truck that's OK as long as I only own one car. I don't how many train cars are concerted an asset. Just let me know what half of everything I get to keep. I wish it would end soon so I can figure out where I stand in all this. Just let me have my half you take the rest.
Swal

yeah the whole thing is stupid (in terms of the nitty gritty and the ways around it and how everything is defined). Your car/truck example is a good example. I won't say more as it will probably delve into "politics"

In my post yesterday I mentioned Union Pacific 8444. I have not received my locomotive yet but I should have it by tomorrow according to the tracking number by USPS.

Anyways UP 8444 apparently had the distinct honor of being the lead unit when UP displayed all of the new UP heritage units when they first came out.

6-29-07 002.jpg
8444-3.jpg

It also had the honor of running behind the UP 844 FFE locomotive as well.....

UP_844m.jpg
UP_844p.jpg

Pretty cool....

Now I am looking for the following locomotives

EMD SD70M flared sided radiators UP 4884
EMD SD70M no flare sided radiators straight/flat UP 4014

UP 4014 SD70M
As of today, it is still in regular freight service with the UP, but has since been renumbered to 4479 in May 2019, following the completion of the Big Boy's restoration by Ed Dickens and the UP's steam program for excursion service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back