Running Bear's June 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good few years ago I saw a model railway with a backscene of an airport. Four (or five) models of aircraft were parked 'other side of the fence'.

David
I have a helicopter pad, and planes
IMG_6822.jpeg
IMG_5203.jpeg
IMG_0699.jpeg
IMG_2724.jpeg
IMG_2158.jpeg
IMG_2156.jpeg
IMG_2146.jpeg
IMG_2160.jpeg
IMG_2145.jpeg

I just come from HomeDepot. As I'm walking in 2 guys with 55 gallon black trash bags full of stuff come running out in a big hurry throwing the stuff in their car and leaving as fast as they can. The HomeDepot employees just watched as all this was taking place. I was going to take a video but then decided not to get involved. It's sad that this has now come to our palaceful small town.
Swal
Swal, you did the right thing by not getting involved. Many of the snatch and grab thieves are junkies. Nothing is more unpredictable and dangerous than a junkie.

I have consulted many retail establishments, my wife even more. All the risk management experts from insurance companies that we know of insist store employees should not physically confront thieves. The store could lose their insurance if they do. They know they could lose thousands, but injury claims, even death can cost much more.

Video is almost useless. The chance of arrest is small, prosecution even smaller. The only arrest and convictions I know of are serial thieves with the help of the store's own private detectives.

These junkies have overwhelmed our police. Too many junkies, not enough police. Not to mention the risk of police brutality claims.

Great Value (Walmart) 18 count Extra Large 2.42 (thank God)
What gets my goat is things like the 'KNORR' side dishes which were 99 cents last year and now $1.34. That is a whopping 34% increase!

You could always shop here.

Supermarkets hiking up their prices, blaming the war in Ukraine.
The next breath Tesco posting profits of 2.3 billion pounds ($2.94 billion)
Asda made 1.17 billion pounds in 2021. 886 million pounds in 2022 profit. Then 'crying' they had made a loss? Thereby having to increase prices in 2023.

Those two companies are just the tip of the iceberg.

David

Swal, you did the right thing by not getting involved. Many of the snatch and grab thieves are junkies. Nothing is more unpredictable and dangerous than a junkie.

I have consulted many retail establishments, my wife even more. All the risk management experts from insurance companies that we know of insist store employees should not physically confront thieves. The store could lose their insurance if they do. They know they could lose thousands, but injury claims, even death can cost much more.

Video is almost useless. The chance of arrest is small, prosecution even smaller. The only arrest and convictions I know of are serial thieves with the help of the store's own private detectives.

These junkies have overwhelmed our police. Too many junkies, not enough police. Not to mention the risk of police brutality claims.
And they wonder why places are locking stuff behind windowed shelves or closing stores in certain areas. Locally Walmart closed all the neighborhood supermarkets they opened in Wichita due to large losses. Certain areas of Wichita are food deserts and they can't keep grocery stores in the area. Wonder Why?

Patrick -- Nice to see that you posted JEFFREY'S avatar there.
He could make the most from almost nothing.
I had a couple of those Zamac Varney F3 A&B units. I glued in an O-scale motor in one of them and some extra weight to boot.
It would pull every car coupled on the club layout - I wish I would have kept it.
Maybe when I get my garage back I will make another?

Great Value (Walmart) 18 count Extra Large 2.42 (thank God)
What gets my goat is things like the 'KNORR' side dishes which were 99 cents last year and now $1.34. That is a whopping 34% increase!

Well, to be honest, all the sodium content in the Knorr side dishes should dissuade you from buying them anyway, but I agree... costs seem to keep climbing. I still think it was worse back in the 70s, though. At least interest rates haven't risen to the levels of the late 70s and early 80s.

American Electric Power announced that it raised its electric rates 28% effective 2 weeks ago. I compared it to a year go, and the increase is about 37% so this isn't the only price increase over the past 12 months.

There is an old blessing that goes "May you live in interesting times." Not sure I would call it a blessing, lol!

My wife and I love Aldi, especially their cheeses. It's hard to get good cheese curds down here in Ohio, but the ones at Aldi are quite good.

The link below has an interesting story about how Aldi and Trader Joes are somewhat intertwined.

And they wonder why places are locking stuff behind windowed shelves or closing stores in certain areas. Locally Walmart closed all the neighborhood supermarkets they opened in Wichita due to large losses. Certain areas of Wichita are food deserts and they can't keep grocery stores in the area. Wonder Why?
Patrick after I then entered the store I was thinking what did they take. All the expensive tools are locked up. They had 2 55 gallon black trash bags full of something. They were half dragging them on the ground so they must have been heavy. I didn't ask anyone what happened. I guess if you ask someone to open one of the tool bins once unlocked you could just take all that's there. I don't know? I'll be in the store again in a few days I'll ask around. There are a few people I've talked to over the years. I'll ask them. I worry more about my home value than anything else. We live in a nice area. It's in NY but a nice part of the state. If people start stealing everything in sight who would want to move here.
Swal

My wife and I love Aldi, especially their cheeses. It's hard to get good cheese curds down here in Ohio, but the ones at Aldi are quite good.

The link below has an interesting story about how Aldi and Trader Joes are somewhat intertwined.

Interesting, thank you!

At Christmas time Aldi has a great assortment of European Christmas chocolates and candies.

My wife is Hungarian. On December 6th, the Feast of Saint Nicholas, Szent Miklos in Hungary. My wife gives the kids and grandkids bags of these assorted chocolates and candies. In Hungary Saint Nicholas, Mikulas to the children, puts these kinds of gifts in the children's shoes on December 6th. Also, she buys the chocolates that hang on the Christmas tree.

For the bad kids Szent Miklos has an assistant, Krampusz. His assistant gives the bad children a switch (stick) to warn them what can happen if they are bad.

All In keeping with her Hungarian Christmas traditions. When she was a little girl there was no Santa Claus in Hungary. Gifts on Christmas day came from the Christ Child, Baby Jesus to the kids.

I love Christmas!

After the rain at Clarence Dock. Puddles. Wet ground Wet look on the factory wall. The sun beginning to shine on the building in the corner. (which is actually the light from the bathroom shining and catching the corner building.)

IMG_5237.JPG

See what you see and not what you thought you saw. Four styles of fencing guarding the track. Overgrown weeds etc. on the main line. but not in the siding. The different shades of ballast.

IMG_2384.JPG

The different shades of brown and green. The rock. The colours in the water. No black or white.

IMG_1863.JPG

Goodnight.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back