Running Bear's June 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kids, we have 2 great kids. During the daughter’s high school years she thought we were cheap asses. As I mentioned the other day. But I straightened that out. When the son went to college he sort of disappeared for 6 months on a band tour. But other then those wearisome times they have been great.

The best feeling though was one night before Covid the son was up from Texas and told me he appreciated all the help his mom and I had given him over the years.

Good afternoon,

The overnight low was 70°, and yesterday the Twin Cities hit a record high (wonder if Steve melted?)

Ken OBTC - Go Get Em - glad to hear your excellent test scores

Willie - Racoons 😍

JeffH - Great layout pics, don't remembering seeing them.

Guy - we had a low of 50° just a couple days ago. Looks like we will be in heat for a few days here.

I have some time this afternoon I think to catch up on weekend thread progress, between my layout and dentist I didn't do much browsing.

Here is the pic I meant to post yesterday, shows a bunch of my progress

IMG_2275.JPG

it is mainly the fascia, also all the wires are hooked up! Still waiting on a piece of track then cleaning all the track before train time

Here is another shot of my H-10-44. Cool looking loco in my opinion.

IMG_2270.JPG

I like some locos in like new condition.

more later, Dave LASM

Smudge: As I recall, they really tried to kill that thing. Too bad Toyota's replacement for the Hilux (at least in the states) isn't as tough.

JeffH: I have a bulging disc in my neck (between C6 and C7) that does the same thing. And no a chiropractor didn't help (actually made it worse in my case). Finally have it calmed down a bit with physical therapy. I think the initial injury happened while I was sleeping trying to protect the right hand from carpal tunnel issues in my sleep. It doesn't take much for a disc to bulge and sometimes sets some better.
Too bad about the bulge. Found that our Chiro detects this sort of thing on first visit. I overheard him talking with a customer about just that. He said 'I can not do anything about this' and 'I have already checked you out for other causes as to why the disk bulged and did not find anything'. Made me feel better as he was concerned about what he was gonna do.

Does Jersey Mikes qualify as fast food? Or is it a deli?
Willie: Neither...it's a Sub Shop...like a Pizza Joint is a Pizza Joint. I suppose they are considered restaurants as there are a few tables for those who choose to eat in, but its primarily made to order carry out. Choice of bread? That's a new wrinkle. It was always an Italian Roll, Whole or half. With the works...or your choice... I usually order a Whole #13 with the works (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, vinegar and oil) +sweet peppers, and a bag of chips. That's two days worth of lunch for the spouse and myself.

Afternoon All,

Replaced the inards of the master toliet today. In the train room I made a base for a water stand pipe (for steamers) and placed it on the layout and trimmed the cork roadbed where the coal mine building legs will sit.

Thank you for all the likes on my photos yesterday.

Dave- Layout looks great. I have a Pennsy H10-44 and I love it. In fact I like it so much that after I sold my first one, several months later I bought another. :rolleyes: They remind me of a 50's Ford or Chevy.

Joe- Thank you. I was pleasantly surprised because it is so fragile. Make sense about the bread and other foods.

Todd- Congrats on the weight loss.

Willie- I think the raccoon looks great.

Jeff- Great looking layout scenes.

Gary- Sorry to hear that but at least you're feeling better.

Guy- Thank you. Nice yard display. Interesting loco photos.

TomO- That's tough about your friend but he will benefit from your honesty. About 3 years ago Dad was scammed on the internet for around $80,000. Now we watch his finances very closely and talked about not believing emails/texts without verifying them.

layout92.jpg

layout93.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

The two times I tried Jersey Mike's, didn't like em. Heavy on the bread. If I remember correctly when ya order, they ring up the sandwich then they ask ya what toppings ya want. Mustard, caching, tomatoe, caching, umm wait, are you charging me for each item? yeah. OK, just the mustard then.

Willie: Neither...it's a Sub Shop...like a Pizza Joint is a Pizza Joint. I suppose they are considered restaurants as there are a few tables for those who choose to eat in, but its primarily made to order carry out. Choice of bread? That's a new wrinkle. It was always an Italian Roll, Whole or half. With the works...or your choice... I usually order a Whole #13 with the works (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, vinegar and oil) +sweet peppers, and a bag of chips. That's two days worth of lunch for the spouse and myself.
Yes we have a choice of bread, white, wheat, or Parmesan bread. I get the #13 on Parmesan, minus the tomatoes with the oil/vinegar on the side. It's a long trip home and I don't want soggy bread. They also offer all of their sandwiches as a salad, i.e. #13 salad which comes in a box without the bread. The other sides offered are cherry pepper relish and jalapeno's (it's a Texas thing). Bread alone for anyone wanting to use it at home is the price of a bag of chips.
No extra charge here for any extra toppings.

Afternoon All,

Replaced the inards of the master toliet today. In the train room I made a base for a water stand pipe (for steamers) and placed it on the layout and trimmed the cork roadbed where the coal mine building legs will sit.

Thank you for all the likes on my photos yesterday.

View attachment 147652

View attachment 147653

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt, I wasn't anticipating a coal dump like this on your layout, I wished I had room for one on mine, yours looks GREAT

Well, howdy there internet MRR types

It's Troy again.

When it comes to subshops, I prefer either Penn Station, Jimmy Johns, or Firehouse. Wife likes subway. They're all heavy on bread, but I can get something other than cold cuts at PS or Firehouse.

While I was hibernating in the (now dry, sans musty) basement from the heat dome outside, I got the Dry version of the wet bar assembled. Nothing is attached yet. I'll wait until after the drain line is run to do all of that. Hence, nothing is shimmed in the photo below:
Screenshot 2022-06-21 at 6.35.00 PM.png

Plumber comes out Thurs. I suspect it will be an estimate only, BUT if he starts cutting the drain pipe, I want to have sink and faucet ready to install. I'll get those tomorrow when I run out to get the electrical stuff I need. Right now the outlet is behind the single-door cabinet. And the stairway is on the opposite side of that wall. So, I've got some crawling around to do back there to move that outlet.

Eventually, I want to add two upper cabinets, with a microwave shelf between them. That way I can make my popcorn downstairs.

Good afternoon all!
91F in Libby and partly

Wife decided to buy me a pellet grill - Traeger although not the smallest or the biggest. Just went through seasoning it and have P.Tenderloin dusted with Good Sh.t to put on in a bit. Gonna try 275 for 30mins, flip and 30mins again. Don't think I need to do any searing, we will see.

Later

Good afternoon all!
91F in Libby and partly

Wife decided to buy me a pellet grill - Traeger although not the smallest or the biggest. Just went through seasoning it and have P.Tenderloin dusted with Good Sh.t to put on in a bit. Gonna try 275 for 30mins, flip and 30mins again. Don't think I need to do any searing, we will see.

Later
I love my traeger when I'm feeling lazy or want to do a really long cook. Just make sure you shop vac the firepot clean after every use. Clear it of pellets also if it's going to sit for any amount of time.

I have been reading about the unfortunate family relationships here lately. I guess that I consider myself both lucky and proud of the way my wife and I raised our kids. Daughter #1 is 44, #2 is 42 and son is 39. Sure life wasn't always great, daughters didn't like sharing a bedroom when growing up, but then shared a one bedroom apartment for a while later in life. They all got hand me down cars at 15 years old, prior to being eligible for full driver's licenses. Didn't particularly matter out here in the country as many of their friends were driving earlier without permits. None of them appreciated living in the very rural countryside and all have left it for the big city atmosphere. To this day though, they all love my vegetables better than grocery store ones! However after the fact, all appreciate their upbringing. I paid for all of their college degrees, two bachelor's and one master's degree, and they all left home on good terms without any arrests or outlandish tattoos! No debt forgiveness here. Yes my son and my wife didn't speak to each other for two years around 2016 due to differing political views, but he still spoke with me and has since made up without any encouragement from me. In addition, all have done well and none have moved back home! :)

Willie: I'm happy for you. Family ties can be funny things.

Our 5 kids are all different, but in some ways the same, and it doesn't matter if we approve or not in the long run, just that we will always worry about them. That's the curse of being a parent. #1 son lives with the ex, and at the age of 34 wont leave his mother and strike out on his own.
Daughter and Son # 2 both went to college and got degrees, Son#3 followed in the old man's footsteps and swung wrenches for a while, then went into retail management and is slowly finishing his degree, and son#4 is starting his college life at the end of August. They too had hand me down cars of cars that the old man bought and refurbished. Luckily sons #2 and #4 got full rides to college so the financial hit was minimum and #3 is paying his own way. They all get along with each other, I haven't had to quell an inter-sibling argument in years.

Reminds me of a saying I heard once. You can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family!
Jersey Mike's Big Kahuna sub,,,yumm yumm!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back