Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stole this off a friend's wall on the book of faces:

While shopping earlier today,I picked up some chicken legs. Just before the young lady rang them up, I asked if she knew whether they were front or back legs. She paused for a moment,read everything she could on the package and not finding the answer said; "I don't know. Let me go ask my manager". She came back a few minutes later, looked at me, and said, NOT FUNNY!! I said, I'm sorry but I thought it was. The guy behind me laughing hysterically blurted out.....NOT FUNNY, IT WAS HILARIOUS.

Good evening, y'all. Went over to the Medical Center this morning, to do my pre-op testing. MERSA, Urine, Blood, Chest X-Ray, and EKG. One advantage of Covid - 19, was that I scored a very prime parking space. Otherwise I would have been circling the lot to find one in the outfield.

Once I finished with the hospital, I drove to my local Walmart. I haven't been there since late February. They have the only Vision Center open in the immediate area. I think I mentioned last post that my glasses broke, and I was using my prescription sun glasses for everything. They were unable to repair the old glasses, they had to order a nylon band called a figure 8 to do so. I elected to buy a new pair, thhey were able to get my Rx from an affiliate of the place where I got one. Only one Lenscrafters in the whole State of Nj is open, and that one is in Hanover, where ever that might be.
In any event within the next week to 10 days, the old pair will be fixed, and the new ones fitted. With a spare, I won't have to live dangerously.

The other part to this saga, is that I did a lot of walking today, between the two adventures...I also did some shopping at Wally World, althogh they were not as well stocked as Shop & Shop, or ShopRite. I was also in and out before the lines started forming...But...boy do my legs hurt after all that activity. I didn't do much while sequestered.

Tomorrow, we may venture forth to Walmart, and the newly re-opened garden mart down the road from HD.

No time to spend in the train room. maybe tomorrow.

Did get rather warm today 87°and humid. Rain is predicted for overnight, but the severe weather will pass to our South. We had 1¼" of rain yesterday, after I spent time irrigating the lawn and garden. :(

I did take the time to peruse everyone's post and like everything. Willie: as usual nice progress, Ray: fantastic photos, Curt: Never fails, to rain when you don't want it to.

Kind of a funk around work today. Yesterday they gathered us all around the premise of a free lunch, to tell us the mom & pop dealership we work for is going to be sold to a large corporate chain. There goes the neighborhood. Frankly, I don't give a rodent's posterior as long as they don't screw with us, which they claimed they wont. I've only got 8 years left before the big R, I can ride out the storm. My co-worker is further away from that point in her life. At the meeting she looked like a person who fell out onto the Martian landscape in the movie "Total Recall"
arnold01.jpg

No sense going crazy, it wont help anyway.
Karl you have the right outlook, good man!

In life we are always walking around “blind corners”, why worry. It takes more than one “sucker punch” to knock a good man out. I know you will be ready to “counter punch” if need be.

The last “real” job I had was working for Firestone’s commercial tire division. Bridgestone had bought out Firestone. Not long after, during my second extended stint in the hospital (pancreatitis) Bridgestone sold the Firestone commercial truck tire center I worked out of to GCR Tires and Service, an independent chain of commercial tire stores.

Firestone had continued to pay my full salary including commissions while I was in the hospital, but when I returned to work, GCR told me I was no longer needed. I suppose they thought “his customers are buying while he is in the hospital, what do we need him for?”

I was disappointed but not downtrodden. On my way home I decided this was the nexus to going into business for myself. I was ready and willing to “stand and deliver”.

After arriving home and making many phone calls over 90% of my customers stayed with me. I had to start out by farming out most of the work, but I still made more money, even the very first month than I had before. I reinvested as much as I could and before long, I had the equipment and connections to make more and more profit. I even branched out into new even more profitable ventures.

Being let go by GCR turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. For the next several years, I more than doubled my income every year. I never dreamed I could make so much money!

I cannot say how it will work out for you, but I would bet my bottom dollar you will do even better than before. In fact, I will be surprised if the new company does not realize your value. An experienced and productive man in your line of work is worth his weight in gold.

Big companies have deep pockets, and many are willing to pay valuable people. Jim Julliano the comptroller of General Tire once told me “when you have valuable and vital people, pay them so much that they cannot afford to leave”.

I stole this off a friend's wall on the book of faces:

While shopping earlier today,I picked up some chicken legs. Just before the young lady rang them up, I asked if she knew whether they were front or back legs. She paused for a moment,read everything she could on the package and not finding the answer said; "I don't know. Let me go ask my manager". She came back a few minutes later, looked at me, and said, NOT FUNNY!! I said, I'm sorry but I thought it was. The guy behind me laughing hysterically blurted out.....NOT FUNNY, IT WAS HILARIOUS.
It'a wonder she didn't cast aspersions on your friend's legitimacy.

Morning all,

It's muggy and 73* here with an expected high of 98* and heat index between 103* to 108* Way too early in "summer" for this stuff, but I guess it balances the late freeze we had. The oldest of the 3 granddaughter's and I were looking over the fruit trees in the backyard yesterday and looked and the handful of apples on the 3 trees (not big producers, grrr) and when we looked at the peach trees she asked about why they weren't any. Upon further review (she is shorter than I am) she said "Isn't this a peach?" and there on the lowest branch of 1 tree was a single peach...I didn't see it when I pruned the tree 2 weeks ago. So I have a peach!!!

I've got to recheck my wiring as I only have the outer loop and a couple of the yard tracks working. I actually suspect the Atlas selector it is attached to, but will know more when I have time to look at it with a meter. Both controllers can power the outer loop fine, but neither can run the 2nd, 3rd or 4th block. These are controlled by the 2-4 on the same selector. Not going to be happy if I have to buy another selector, but with a couple of quick changes can make everything work again.

Good morning gang,
68° and overcast, expecting rain occasionally, but the weekend looks nice.
Thank God it's FRIDAY!!!! :D
Donuts and coffee for me, chocolate cake with chocolate icing aka Death by Chocolate donuts!! ☠:D;)
Picking up my online auction winnings at lunch today, more on that later!!

Happy Friday all! Only two more days till Monday for you working stiffs. 🤪 The windows are going in, and the last car should arrive today. With a little luck it'll just need some decal work. The floors are assembled, and I've added a resistor between the trucks so the signaling system will be able to see them. We're getting close!

IMG_2792.JPG

Good Morning All. Clear and 71°. It's wet outside and there's 0.1" in the rain gauge, so Mother Nature must have thrown us a rain shower last night, despite the weather forecast that had no chance of precipitation in it. Of course 0.1" doesn't really do a lot of good this time of year, except to wash the grass off. Upper 90's later today, might even reach triple digits.:mad:
MONEY FOR NOTHING!
We got a surprise yesterday that we weren't expecting. Under Texas rules, my wife wasn't eligible for unemployment payments until June 1. So it was quite a surprise when over $5K showed up in our bank account yesterday.:) Not only did she get the first week from Texas, but she was back-paid for 8 weeks of that $600/week bonus money that she didn't know was coming. Thought it only started with the first state payment. Note that her job didn't end because of the pandemic! On the other hand, I lost money in my first day back in the stock market since February!

Finally got a haircut when we did the grocery/beer trek yesterday. A bit cumbersome with my mask on because I have to use one with the around the head straps, since the behind the ears straps dislodge my hearing aids!:( Don't want to lose them.

A handful of bacon and a plate full of scrambled eggs for me this morning Francine. And doughnuts are on me all morning for all patrons in honor of the new wealth. Today coincidentally is National Doughnut Day

Thanks for all of the reactions and comments yesterday regarding the layout progress; Sherrel, Jerome, Guy, Karl, Bob, Patrick, Chet, Hughie, Curt, Phil, Louis, Joe, GT, Joe, Ken, Tom.

Had a productive day in the train shed yesterday with the liquor store; before I picked up the throttle and ran quite a few trains.
06-05-20 003.JPG

From that to this in a single session.
06-05-20 005.JPG

One thing that didn't work out, was the thirty year old dry transfers that I attempted to add to the side of the building. They just wouldn't adhere. Three strike-outs. That's when I decided to run the trains instead. All of the newly ballasted track worked fine, still need to clean up a bit of excessive ballast though.

Sherrel -
4th day of the month and after paying bills, I need to find a Mission to dine at; maybe I had too good of a time?
I miss those free samples at Sam's Club and Costco!
Karl - Good luck with the new owners. I went through that at least five times without ever leaving the building! It always led to an increase in benefits though, but not always an increase in pay.
Hughie - I try to run all of my locos on a regular basis. Some only get from one end of the layout to the other, about 165', some get more usage in switching operations. Although I have begun to remove a few to display shelves because I have too many on the layout. Got to make room for the three new ones that I pre-ordered from ScaleTrains. Due this summer, maybe!
Joe - Getting brave going into Walmart?

As I posted earlier, today is National Doughnut Day, free doughnuts at lots of places. I would have to drive 30 miles (each way) for one, so they wouldn't exactly be free. It's also National Moonshine Day; some of which is pretty vile! There used to be a pretty active moonshiner around the corner from me, but a few years ago he had to move into an assisted living center and the family dismantled the still. The local scrap metal dealer kept part of it on display for a few years until their bulldozer accidentally backed into it.

Everybody have a great day. Keep cool and safe.

Another day of the Tennessee Earnie Ford's song of loading 16 tons and deeper in debt!
Dadburn water softener seems to have quit working! We have been noticing it for a while and yesterday I pulled the "stuff" away from it and confirmed that it is not using any salt at all. Today's mission is to look for, actually, try to find the manual and see if I can decipher the innards and workings? A softener is almost a must-have around here as after a couple of weeks even the toilets start getting a "ring" in the bowl. To me, trying to read the almost 1/2 inch thick manual is akin to reading an IRS publication?

I went to Walmart yesterday for a quick few things - mainly dog food and treats - as they are 10=15 percent cheaper than anywhere else. Noticed that only about 50% of the patrons were wearing a mask and that the shelves were starting to fill up again ... even the TP/paper towels isles were at least 1/3 to 1/2 full.

Time for another coffee and accomplish something ... supposed to be only 75 for the next three days ... down from the 90's a couple of days back.

Good Morning, everyone!
It was nice and cool and clear when I awoke this morning; 40F with a forecaster promise to reach 60. There was a frost this morning. Thunderstorms are supposed to roll in later in the day. - Corn and tomatoes in the garden are struggling; the pole beans haven't even poked their heads out yet. Carrots, potatoes, and the apple and cherry trees do real good here, though.

Thank you for all the likes on yesterday's non- modeling post.

Hughie - I liked you're layout photo. Easy to see you have a wonderful set-up.
In answer to your question; if I had a layout built, I would run trains. Right now, all I've got is a real annoying black ez-oval that I have to set up on the floor. It's not much fun. - I do so want to get building and modeling. Too much of real life in the way.
Alan - I very much admire the work on the Frisco cars. You must have a healthy amount of patience.
Willie - Wonderful, quick work on the liquor store. I know you still have a lot of modeling to do on it, but, I suspect we'll be seeing a finished liquor store post very soon.

I've got 1 more day of applying varnish onto gazebo benches. Let me tell ya how much I despise water based varnish. That stuff is pure crap. I do wish I could still buy the old oil based varnish. Latex varnish is like applying a coat of soft rubber; I don't expect the finish to last a year outside in our environment.

Here' my daily photo. The old Blue Ridge church, a building that was still in use up to the early 2000's. Now it sits at our local heritage center. If I ever scratch up a layout church, I suspect it will be an easy one like this:
BlueRidgeChurch.jpg

Have a great day, everyone.

Good morning ........ Coffee and a donut, please . ... (Willie rinded us it is National Donut Day )

Thanks to everybody who commented and "liked" my photo of a GN passenger train at a grade crossing. The GN train is one I am currently running on the layout. GN operated regional trains from St. Paul, MN which were short enough to be considered "pike sized" for model railroads. Destinations were Duluth, MN; Fargo, ND; and Winnipeg, Canada .My train has an E7, a mailer, a baggage car, a cafe/parolor car, and two coaches.

Here is my short GN train departing from Union Station.

49968525253_aee88fcaa8_k.jpg

Here it is rolling past Hinterland.

49968527463_8cc52750fd_k.jpg

Joe .... You mentioned this train reminded you of PRR Keystone passenger trains. Are those the ones where they used Keystone passenger cars made by Budd which had a low height? I recall some of those cars ended up on a dinner train railroad in Michigan.

Alan ... Nice progress with your COSF .

Willie ..... The liquor store looks good. I'm glad you ran some trains.

Guy .... I can see that church would be a fun scratch build project.... The memorial in the forest is interesting.

Curt .... Thanks for the happy BD wishes for our granddaughter.

Hughie .... I like the photo with the switchers.

Everybody ......... have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back