Running Bear's June 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan .... The diaphragms look very nice. I bet you need very wide radius curves for that train. If you had a small radius, the diaphragms could rub together and maybe cause derailing.

Here is an advertisement about the first dome car.

49980809652_800042554c_z.jpg

Also, here is an ad for the Zephyr Rocket. .... The train was a joint operation. It ran on CRIP between the Twin Cities in MN and Burlington, IA. It ran on the CB&Q between Burlington IA and St Louis, MO. .... Equipment was pooled. The train typically has one E-unit belonging to either of the two railroads. The train would have maybe 6 to 8 cars owned by either road.

]
49978709522_2f35a17fa7.jpg

Alan .... The diaphragms look very nice. I bet you need very wide radius curves for that train. If you had a small radius, the diaphragms could rub together and maybe cause derailing.

That's what I mean when I talk about "tuning the train to the layout" Garry. :) I have the good fortune to belong to a club that has a 48" minimum radius, so this isn't a concern, but there are ways to increase the clearance between cars. Longer shank couplers for one, and Coach Yard makes a Kadee style draft gear box with slots instead of holes. Of course you'd see daylight between the diaphragms, but it's still better than that huge gap without them! Also, these are very flexible. The fabric is very thin and springy. I've never had any issue with them binding or causing a derailment

I have 3 of the last SD40 RTR runs done by Athearn and 2 of the GP35's, now in the Roundhouse brand. I have a couple of the GP35's from when they first fitted the 9pin quick plug DCC board to them. Both the SD40 and early GP35's have the same detailing, the SD40's chassis are modified to take sound. The Roundhouse GP35's chassis are as the early ones with that similar DCC ready board, but are missing some of the details. Plow and rear footboard. Cab side sunshades. Wire grabs are installed. Comes in a fancier box with the modern plastic packing. Truck electrical pickup wires now off both sides, not using frame for one side.
Thanks for the info, what I'm looking at is an AC4400. Athearn did years ago under the RTR but now they're in the Roundhouse label seems the only upgrade is led lights which my newer RTR has also. Details West has the parts to dress it up and add in TCS sound and Zimo sugar cube speakers and a good weather job and no one will know the difference.

Afternoon All,

Started with some chores then a guy came by a picked up the roof solar that was on a tarp in the side yard so that is gone :). A little bit ago I was walking down the stairs and slipped from the 4th step from the bottom landing on the tile floor...not fun.

Last night locally we have severe thunderstorms and 2 tornadoes in the area. I talked to Phil and he and Deb got through the weather without issue. Today not so much rain but the humidity is like a wet blanket.

Tom- I have a ABA Athearn Genesis FP7 set. I bought a RTR F7 hoping to make 2 consists but the RTR seems to be geared differently and doesn't run well with the others and I don't know how to speed match.

Guy- Not to worry, we got your rain last night:p.

Willie- Good looking road and Elmer's tower in the background.

Alan- They look much better than anything I have.

Garry- Nice layout shot and advertisements.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Joe - I desperately want Miller Engineering to come out with an illuminated/animated View attachment 114165 billboard that I could put over my Ford assembly plant, but I don't know if that will ever happen...

I second your request, as I have my "compressed" assembly plant, that is just begging for an illuminated/animated Ford sign. it's possible, considering some of the other signs / billboards Miller Engineering has produced. For that matter, I could use a Vintage "Ranger Joe" animated/illuminated sign for my cereal factory.

It sounds like things aren't all opened up where you are. A major PITA. At least you got some glasses. Can't believe that you can't get some sort of refund from the NHL & MLB.
Chet: No, and that's becoming a point of contention between business interests. Seems the government is more interested in the Restaurant business than they are in what they termed as "non-essential business. I don't really understand how eye glasses / eye care can be considered non essential. The Malls are still closed, freestanding retailers are restricted to curbside pick-up...food is either pre-order/curbside pick-up or outdoor dining. it's sort of nutzo. I've been wearing masks since this started. They are a PIA. But they are an extra layer of protection, frombeing infected by someone who has the virus but doesn't know it. Then again, there is a greater chance of infection around here than in Big Sky Country. ;)

Joe - I have some static pictures of neon beer signs that I will use until I might get a real one. Don't know whether they make them that small as I haven't looked into it yet.

Willie: When you get around to it, check out Miller Engineering. they have done most national brands, and have signs in scales ranging from N to O. Meanwhile, as usual I like your structures.

I hope these pictures help

Garry: Nice work!

Here's another full with diaphragm shot.

Alan: That's a great looking photo. the FWD are nice.

..I was looking at an Athearn roundhouse engine and was wondering how they compared to the RTR engines as far as detail and quality. I have a SD40 RTR and was looking to pair them up.

Tom: Athearn Roundhouse engines are mostly the old Blue Box engines, which used to be sold under the RTR line. Some RTRs are compatible to Genesis, and some not. Some Roundhouse are compatible to RTR and others not.

Joe- I bought them on Amazon from Peachtree Woodworking Supply Inc., but are manufactured by Fulton. They are rated to 600#. I could not find a part number. They are called Heavy Duty Adjustable Furniture Leg Levelers. They cost $15.99 for 4 so they're not cheap. I decided to go with them because of the leveling issues I had on the original layout not being level when I first started it.

Thanks Curt. What I'm currently using isn't working for me, and those you bought are clearly better for modular use..

I have spent time working on the railroad, painting the module I'm working on. Of course, I have to wait until the paint dries to continue. with the next step which is to fit track into place, and run feeder wires. I also need to remember to secure the top to the frame...

Scott Paper Water Tower.jpg

This will be a modeling challenge: Until taken over by Kimberly Clark, Scott Paper's water tower resembled a 1000 sheet roll of toilet paper, and rose above the buildings. Scott used to load out 100+ 40' box cars per day of different paper products from it's Chester, PA plant, as well as inbound Pulp, Chlorine, and Caustic Soda, plus plastic pellets for wrapping the packages. The Reading and Pennsylvania both supplied two crews per day, seven days each week.

TW 62 at RA Bldg.jpg

Washington Terminal Alco RS1 with the REA Building in the background. Lower level passenger tracks in foreground.

Good evening, y'all. Went over to the Medical Center this morning, to do my pre-op testing. MERSA, Urine, Blood, Chest X-Ray, and EKG. One advantage of Covid - 19, was that I scored a very prime parking space. Otherwise I would have been circling the lot to find one in the outfield.

Once I finished with the hospital, I drove to my local Walmart. I haven't been there since late February. They have the only Vision Center open in the immediate area. I think I mentioned last post that my glasses broke, and I was using my prescription sun glasses for everything. They were unable to repair the old glasses, they had to order a nylon band called a figure 8 to do so. I elected to buy a new pair, thhey were able to get my Rx from an affiliate of the place where I got one. Only one Lenscrafters in the whole State of Nj is open, and that one is in Hanover, where ever that might be.
In any event within the next week to 10 days, the old pair will be fixed, and the new ones fitted. With a spare, I won't have to live dangerously.

eruse everyone's post and like everything. Willie: as usual nice progress, Ray: fantastic photos, Curt: Never fails, to rain when you don't want it to.

Wife uses Zenni for her eyewear she saves a Lot of money. www.zenni.com shop from your easy chair and save money.

Curt- I'll bet these cars look better than anything SP has left!

I doubt you could find anything left, unless there's something that got made into a tool car or some such MOW thing. Most of those cars that were left got turned over to Amtrak. Also, remember, this train was jointly owned by UP, SP, and C&NW. They split up the cars when the train sets were broken up.

Tom - Unable to directly advise since I don't have any Athearn Roundhouse branded engines. I would think that they are pretty similar to the RTR line though.
That would seem to be the idea. Not a bad one actually. Good entry level. Better than Walthers Trainline, although I think their Mainline has replaced that now, but has the advantage of using the Proto drive.

Happy Monday everyone. Today I resolve the 12-5 sleeper fiasco with Brass Trains. I spent the rest of yesterday converting the unpowered E6B to a powered unit with the help of a donor Santa Fe E-6. That involved taking apart the proto trucks which was...interesting. I also installed the rest of those full width diaphragms, and had to replace the window glazing in one car. A previous owner had used clear with no shades or blinds which let you see that empty interior. The last tweak for the train will be coming up with a way to get the locomotives closer together. These older Proto E-6's had an extended front coupler mount that let the coupler get out past that long sloping nose they had. It worked but kind of screws up the program when you convert the unit to a B. Note the rear B units coupler box location. The goal is to get the diaphragms touching I'll have to think on this a bit. It's most likely going to mean modifying the frames. Until I figure that out it's at least runnable. I'll post a test video next time I get to the club, and photos once I figure out how to deal with this, but we're pretty much done here! Whew!

IMG_2819.JPG

Morning all,

Got caught up from the weekend. Didn't get much train time in, but the few minutes I had tells me I have a break in continuity in the track rather than selector. I found a spot where trains stop with no power in block 2. It is at a connect point of the track, so I may have to break out the solder iron to fix. Just as I get the tack work to quit derailing trains......

Not much else on the trains as it was a busy weekend. Friday afternoon was limited to mowing the lawn in the heat and Saturday was spent setting up the pool I didn't want to set up as it was patched a bunch last year and used once. I spent the rest of Saturday (while the pool filled) helping setup for the combined birthday party for the 2 youngest granddaughters. We hadn't been able to celebrate in April for the older one and the younger one had her first birthday on Wednesday, so we had a party yesterday. I did however get time to patch the pool which lost 2 inches of water in 12 hours. I used nearly 130 sq. inches of vinyl patch get get most of the leaks found and patched. After the kids swam yesterday during the party, I found another leak near the water line I need to take care of. At least this morning it may be down about 1/4 inch, but not knowing how much is loss due to evaporation or leaks. I have the sunburn to prove I was patching....I haven't really had one in a long time, but wasn't outside long enough to have a super bad one.

Good Morning All. Clear and 72°, with 88% humidity again today. A muggy start to the week. Doesn't look like any of the moisture from this tropical storm is going to make it this far west, just the humidity. However a cool front is going to hit Tuesday night bringing the overnight temperature all the way down to 60°.
Headed out to the doctor this morning for my quarterly blood-letting. The usual, wear a mask, take your temperature and wait in the parking lot. Uncomfortable as it is, I still wear a mask because I don't trust others and the asymptomatic Covid carriers are still among us. Beats the alternative.
Saturday I went to take some scrap metal to the local salvage yard. Wow have prices come down. Eight months ago, I got 4¢/lb for scrap steel, Saturday it was 2¢. Aluminum cans eight months ago fetched 32¢/lb, now I only got 20¢. :( We need to kick-start the economy better. Looks like I'll make it up in the stock market today after a good day Friday. I reinvested last Wednesday after a three month layoff.

Light breakfast this morning Flo, one egg and one sausage patty should do it. I want to be at my best for the doc.

Thanks for the reactions and comments yesterday regarding the layout progress; Jerome, Tom, Sherrel, Karl, Curt, Chad, Phil, Joe, Guy, Patrick.
Many thanks to Garry and Karl for the assistance in duplicating that missing spire on the restaurant.

Another slow short day in the train shed yesterday. I did mostly odds and ends related to CUP (Charlottesville Urbanization Project). Added ground cover and other landscaping materials to the aisle side of the grade crossing, sorry no picture yet. I worked on the replacement/refurbishment of the spire for the restaurant.
Of course Garry was able to provide pictures or the original, thanks again. I reformed the sphere with body putty and drilled a hole in the bottom for a piece of styrene rod to mount it into the cupola. Karl suggested using a track nail for the top part, excellent suggestion there.
06-08-20 001.JPG

I first looked at using an HO scale nail, bit it looked too long, so I was able to find an N scale one instead.
Here's the result after Supergluing the nail on.
06-08-20 004.JPG

I think that this will work. Now over to the paint booth.
I also got the first sign attached to the liquor store.
06-08-20 002.JPG

It represents a painted on sign.
Through all of this layout construction, I have used two really invaluable tools to assist me.
06-08-20 003.JPG

The front one is 5" tall, I have two others like it as well, the rear one is 10" tall. They came from the bottom of crates that were used for patio door glass from work. Originals were 7' or 9' long and I cut them down, the 4" x 4"'s are part of the crates. The rear one is two parts that I nailed together so they wouldn't slip. While I salvaged many of these crates over the years, we probably threw out over twenty of them a week. Eventually the glass companies switched over to returnable metal racks for a major cost/disposal savings. I used over 200 of the 7'-2' x 12' boards in the floor construction of my barn while they lasted. They were always paired with 2" x 6" boards to make a crate 18" deep. I got a lot of them also. Had to pull a lot of nails over time.

Curt - The Elmer's tower has made a number of guest appearances on the layout lately. Good to read that the tornados missed you and Phil.
Joe - I've been to the Miller Engineering website. The HO scale signs are too big for that window. I need to look further for the dimensions of the N scale ones to see if they would work.
Patrick - A quarter inch a day to evaporation is what I normally experience with pool water loss. Sadly for me, that's about 75 gallons a day.:(

Everybody have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back