Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed a laugh this morning
0CF014CF-00EB-4A5B-B8CE-819BC423D07D.jpeg
8678B57D-4A97-4996-ADCA-F328F1D21FD0.jpeg
6AD77E1D-31E0-47CB-9351-F793C8AE6CF9.jpeg

havent been around due to no internet for last 2 wks. (out in the bush)* My mom went to be with her man of 73 yrs this morning. Mostly due to broken heart. 8 days earlier than dads passing last year and 2 wks before her 93 BD.
My dad made it to 92,it was a good innings, my dad unfortunately lost my mum over 35 previous,and never replaced her,despite being chased,my husband and I can fight like cat and dog, but I would be devastated if I lost him, hell who would I argue with :D

Good morning all, it is up to 66° supposed to rain later. Gonna be cool all week, I think.

Worked on trying to put a new gas tank strap on the 88 Suburban last night, one metal piece twisted off rather than nuts moving. I soaked it down with WD 40 and will try again tonight. I spent at least an hour screwing around with that last night did not feel like doing anything else.

We are "renting" (from the local library) old TV shows, currently watching Season 4 of "Gunsmoke". Came out about when I was born. It is good TV. Just about every episode someone gets killed. Lots of rough characters in the "lawless West". Some episodes just have a happy ending where Matt Dillon helps someone out of a fix.

Curt - That is an AMB kit. I have a couple plastic NP caboose kits I may put out instead mainly cause so many small details on this one it is easy for my big fingers to wreck something.

THANKS for all the compliments on the caboose! Also, if you checked out my build thread THANK YOU.

Here is a photo from my layout, an old Truss Rod box car in kind of an artsy fartsy scene

IMG_2402.JPG

one nice thing about the new layout I get some sunshine in the evening so can get shadows. Really wakes up the ground foam!!!!

more later, Dave LASM

Good morning all (just changing up the greeting to see if y'all notice)

Just got back from the Target run. Stopped by another store to pick up a RUB (Really Useful Box). Seems I keep forgetting to take my Elephants gaming. Probably because they're so tall they don't fit in the normal plastic tote box I keep my figures in.

Already had a steel sheet cut to the correct size, so it was time to use the last of the Gorilla Glue (the other type PolyUrathane or whatever) and glue the sheet to the bottom of the box. Got it weighted down with water bottles, I'll give it a test run tomorrow and make sure the army fits.

RUB Elefant.jpg

Speaking of youtubs... been watching vids from Bob and Brad
The two
Most Famous
Physical Therapists
On the Internet

Well, that's what their jingle says...

Why watch those two powerhouses of internet personalities (they're not really. I've seen glue dry with more personality than those two)?

Plantar fasciitis. I keep aggravating it. So, I scooted my chaise lounge over to the side. And broke out the birkenstocks.
birks.jpg

Looks like this one is going long term. I kept re-injuring the fascia since I wasn't slowing down. I was going to get another can of balls at Target, and forgot. Rolling that under the foot, really helps break up the scar tissue that forms as the tendon heels each little tear. I need to find another tennis ball or two. Of all the times to not live next to a golfer or tennis nut.

Morning folks ... looking towards 88 today, 87 tomorrow, and 87 Thursday with mostly sunny - all nice temps and low humidity - good for outside activity.

Speaking of that ... I need to help the Spousal Unit dig some holes today for her to plant some flowers that came from the "ranch". These are roughly 2 feet in diameter and 16 inches deep. It is not easy digging in compacted a granite/clay soil, and approaching 80YO the body does not want to dig in the ground anymore! The holes need to be extra large in order to add potting soil and other ingredients so the plants will survive. IMHO she should have done this 10-12 years ago when each of us were in better condition. I thought about hiring a guy off the corner day workers area, buy have to cart him back and forth, feed him lunch, at about $250+ for a day? If she had all the plants "mapped" out - I would do it, but she wants it done one at a time after she "studies" the placement?

Rambled enough - CURT - I am beginning to think we are brothers? Your daily trials and tribulations mirror mine most days!
Later guys.

Good morning everyone!

Still burning a candle at both ends while I have company still here. Good news 3 left today to fly back to their homes. 1 back to Wisconsin and 2 back to UK. My sister is still here until Sunday. We went out last night with 15 people in tow and had a nice fancy dinner at a place called the Sagamore at Lake George. I frequent there a few times a year. We ate in the La Bella Vitta. https://www.opalcollection.com/sagamore/

1658847583766.png

1658847603412.png

1658847633478.png

We went by boat on our big family boat I mentioned before. We closed the place down like we typically do lol. They normally close at 11 PM we left at 1 AM lol......we love our food and drinks with great conversations. It helps to know the staff there too. We compensate them very well as they always look forward to us when we come for obvious reason. They take care of us well.

So not much going on other than entertaining and eating too much! I did get quite a few hoppers in yesterday.

TomO I got the 2 weathered hoppers in yesterday as well that you did up! They are fantastic! Thank you! I will show them off later on.

Willie them maters look awesome! Nice bumper crop!

I am back in the office today. Then tonight my 2 nephews want to catch a movie called "Nope" not sure what I am getting into but hey I gotta hang with my boys.

I need to squeeze in time to mow the front and back yard this week soon otherwise I will be bailing hay! 🤣

Ya'll have a good day! I am going to try and catch up with all the posts here in the coffee shop then back to work....

Later!

Good morning!

Looking forward to getting my right knee injected later today. Hopefully, that will provide enough relief to let me sleep without pain.

Casual Observation: Facebook Marketplace is turning out to be the best place to sell model train stuff online, at least for me.

Our garden never really amounted to much this year. Our oldest got Married June 4th, 700 miles away from home. So we were gone for a good 10 days, right when the plants would have needed watered just about every day... So we didn't plant much, since they likely would have died while we were gone. Normally, we would have started seeds indoors in February, to plant mid May... We do have a few volunteer tomato plants, and some volunteer gourds... not sure of the variety, but I suspect they are spinning gourds, which are not good for much other than decorating with.

My wife did plant some seeds we harvested from a "Mellow Yellow" pumpkin she bough last fall. They are doing quite well, but are about a month behind where they should be by now because she didn't plant the seeds until mid June.

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning everyone!

Still burning a candle at both ends while I have company still here. Good news 3 left today to fly back to their homes. 1 back to Wisconsin and 2 back to UK. My sister is still here until Sunday. We went out last night with 15 people in tow and had a nice fancy dinner at a place called the Sagamore at Lake George. I frequent there a few times a year. We ate in the La Bella Vitta. https://www.opalcollection.com/sagamore/

View attachment 149243

View attachment 149245
View attachment 149246

We went by boat on our big family boat I mentioned before. We closed the place down like we typically do lol. They normally close at 11 PM we left at 1 AM lol......we love our food and drinks with great conversations. It helps to know the staff there too. We compensate them very well as they always look forward to us when we come for obvious reason. They take care of us well.

So not much going on other than entertaining and eating too much! I did get quite a few hoppers in yesterday.

TomO I got the 2 weathered hoppers in yesterday as well that you did up! They are fantastic! Thank you! I will show them off later on.

Willie them maters look awesome! Nice bumper crop!

I am back in the office today. Then tonight my 2 nephews want to catch a movie called "Nope" not sure what I am getting into but hey I gotta hang with my boys.

I need to squeeze in time to mow the front and back yard this week soon otherwise I will be bailing hay! 🤣

Ya'll have a good day! I am going to try and catch up with all the posts here in the coffee shop then back to work....

Later!
James, beautiful pictures! Rates are reasonable for a resort. What is the weather like around Lake George the end of September 24 to 30th? We will be driving out east in September

Glad the cars arrived per USPS.

Morning folks ... looking towards 88 today, 87 tomorrow, and 87 Thursday with mostly sunny - all nice temps and low humidity - good for outside activity.

Speaking of that ... I need to help the Spousal Unit dig some holes today for her to plant some flowers that came from the "ranch". These are roughly 2 feet in diameter and 16 inches deep. It is not easy digging in compacted a granite/clay soil, and approaching 80YO the body does not want to dig in the ground anymore! The holes need to be extra large in order to add potting soil and other ingredients so the plants will survive. IMHO she should have done this 10-12 years ago when each of us were in better condition. I thought about hiring a guy off the corner day workers area, buy have to cart him back and forth, feed him lunch, at about $250+ for a day? If she had all the plants "mapped" out - I would do it, but she wants it done one at a time after she "studies" the placement?

Rambled enough - CURT - I am beginning to think we are brothers? Your daily trials and tribulations mirror mine most days!
Later guys.
Just take it easy digging. The hole doesn’t need to be dug in 3 shovel fulls!

Soreness! Front load with a couple Tylenol, Ibuprofen or aspirin and a couple hours after being done take 2 more.

Can’t she lay them out first to see how they look then you can hire the guy? Oh hell, what am I talking about? A woman planning a planting bed? I can’t tell you over the years how many unneeded/changed planting holes I have dug in the yards

be safe

Last edited:
Mission 1 of 2 accomplished.

Decided I wanted more tennis balls... and the wife's bike tire is flat

Headed out to Dick's Sporting Goods

Found 2 cans of Dunlop balls at Buy 1 get 1 half off.

OK, two cans of balls, but only needed one. Now I won't need any for several years.

But... as for bike tires. She needs the ones with Slime. She refuses to change a tire, despite me loading a spare, a hand pump and tire tools in her saddle bags. So with the slime brand tubes, a little puncture will usually stay inflated until she gets back home.

And dicks had about 30 of those in the correct size, but with the other type of valve.... not the schrader style valve.

Ok, I'll check the other brand... nope. none in that size.

So, at least I got my tennis balls... Rolling one under my sore foot right now.

Later guys.
Speaking of shoveling, just because you are good at it doesn't mean you enjoy it.

Last summer I went to spray apply primer to my nephew's cabin. I figured a good afternoon would do it, should still be able to enjoy the evening.

First thing he wanted me to do, however, is smooth out several skid steer bucket loads of topsoil, then paint? He was using a garden rake. So I grabbed the spade and showed him how to operate it.

Him being 15 years younger, he was unable to operate a shovel. I contend he just didn't want to apply himself.Since I made it look so easy, he figured I wasn't worn out . Wrong.

Last time I visited his cabin.

YouTube channels I follow (which are interesting)

Aviation:

74 Gear
Mentourpilot

Music:

Rick Beato
Adam Neally

History:

Mark Felton Productions

There are a few model RR ones I should follow but don't yet -- Japanese etc ones that are very well done.

I like Rick Beato's videos, and generally agree with him, although, like most things, when he would do a video on say "best bass riffs" and then not put Tina Weymouth in there, is... well... not complete in my book. But his videos are very well made... always entertaining. He is quite a talented musician with a broad depth of knowledge.

I'm not familiar with Adam Neally... I'll have to check him out!

I like Rick Beato's videos, and generally agree with him, although, like most things, when he would do a video on say "best bass riffs" and then not put Tina Weymouth in there, is... well... not complete in my book. But his videos are very well made... always entertaining. He is quite a talented musician with a broad depth of knowledge.

I'm not familiar with Adam Neally... I'll have to check him out!

Neally and Beato have done some combo videos with each other. Neally is a working bass player (Berklee and some NYC based music school for grad work as well) and "educator" based in NYC and he talks about all sorts of music topics. Very interesting. Slight "bass" bias :)

Neally and Beato have done some combo videos with each other. Neally is a working bass player (Berklee and some NYC based music school for grad work as well) and "educator" based in NYC and he talks about all sorts of music topics. Very interesting. Slight "bass" bias :)
Nice!

I have favorite musicians:
Guitar - David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Neil Young and Peter Green
Drums - Pick Withers, Bill Bruford, Nick Mason
Keyboard - Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Richard Wright (I'd put Gary Wright in there, but I'd have to forfeit my man card, lol)
Bass - Chris Squire, Christina Weymouth, Flea. (Roger Waters doesn't make my list as his bandmates have, but as a lyricist, he's near the top along with Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Jim Morrison and Bernie Taupin).

James, beautiful pictures! Rates are reasonable for a resort. What is the weather like around Lake George the end of September 24 to 30th? We will be driving out east in September

Glad the cars arrived per USPS.
TomO Typically the weather really nice at that time. 70's it cools down fast at night due to the surrounding mountains. Lake George is in the center of the mountain ranges here which is the start of the Adirondacks etc. The lake is 100% natural and spring fed from the depths of the lake and the mountains. Water is always cold for most folks it rarely gets above 74 surface temperature.

Years ago the Delaware & Hudson used to run here into the village.

The depot is still here but it is repurposed and the Fort Henry is still here as well. The north end of the lake (30 miles north) Fort Ticonderoga is still standing as well between Lake George and Lake Champlain. Ticonderoga oversees Lake Champlain. The 2 lakes are connected by the Le Chute river. Which flows from George to Champlain only with a nice water fall very scenic too.

There are still remnants of 150 ships/boats from the French and Indian War at the bottom of the lake some still intact in the depths of 180 -230 feet or more.

There is also the only Steam operated steamship in the world here....still operating......

Nice!

I have favorite musicians:
Guitar - David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Neil Young and Peter Green
Drums - Pick Withers, Bill Bruford, Nick Mason
Keyboard - Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Richard Wright (I'd put Gary Wright in there, but I'd have to forfeit my man card, lol)
Bass - Chris Squire, Christina Weymouth, Flea. (Roger Waters doesn't make my list as his bandmates have, but as a lyricist, he's near the top along with Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Jim Morrison and Bernie Taupin).

I think I'd have to add John Paul Jones and John Entwistle. As a jazz guy I also add in Victor Wooten, and John Pattituci...

Squire is my main man though.

Rick Beato is an interesting guy to listen to as he is / was IN the industry. he produced at least one Fleetwood Mac albums and a lot of other groups you need to be a metal guy or whatever to know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back