Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly a sign of the times.
Oh I don’t agree. As I wrote above 25 years ago we took a guided tour of Gettysburg with adults our age at the time mid 40’s. Same reactions and indifference as the way he described his grandkids reactions. The same thing with the US Capital building during the same tour and Arlington NationaL Cemetery. There actually was a question on the bus as who was in the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. That person just could not understand such a ceremony for 1 person. Yeah! Obviously never read the brochure or listened to the tour guide.

Indifference or ignorance to history is what keeps us in these troubling domestic and international times

Good morning from the south deck in South Central Wisconsin. Today we are going to again push my health envelope. Heading out east to the shores of Lake Michigan for at least 1 night out and possibly more. Temperature here this morning is 72 heading to a breezy 86f degrees. Out where we are heading along the shore right now is 75 and heading to 82. Tomorrow though highs for the day at both home and away will be in the 90’s.

Heading east is a no highways drive. It’s only a 31 minute traveling time difference by avoiding the Interstates of I90/94, I39 and I43. But by doing so we will drive through the sometimes glorious Wisconsin countryside and hopefully some interesting small towns we can explore. No rushing needed, we get there when we do!

The son flew off yesterday around noon taking the step cousin who has a job interview at Dell’s Children’s Hospital in Austin tomorrow. He and his business partners (sister and cousin) are very happy with the Bank of Terry. Terry arranged it so that the Bank of Mom and Dad did not have to get involved but will be there if they need additional help when they expand. 3 planes and 5 pilots on call plus himself if needed starting in October and they will in August start their really targeted advertising campaign. I am happy for them and mainly him but glad not to be involved at this time.

Some work done on the layout yesterday. Mainly I leveled out the parking areas in the Transload facility. Also, I gave Gabriel another coat of paint for his clothes, added a orange safety vest, shaved his butt down, glued him into the fork lift cab and added the cab with a A/C unit.

Enjoy the day
A1E6CC56-9EEE-4A29-B49E-8D3FAFB53F8C.jpeg

Good morning from east central Minnesota, starting out at 66° headed for 87. Yesterday we only hit 82, they had forecasted 95. It was humid, though, humidity dropped substantially about 7 PM.

Flo - I will take an Italian roast coffee, black, and one of those gooey pecan carmel rolls.

Willie - wondered if you are using tarpaper for your street posted yesterday? Whatever it is, it looks good

Tom - really nice little fork lift. Tires especially look real.

History - many don't take it seriously until they lived a bunch. I started appreciating it in my late 20's as I was reading lots of historical fiction, found one of my lifetime heroes Simon Kenton.

Currently enjoy reading old novels, now on The Spy by James Fenimore Cooper. Published in 1821, my edition was published in 1849. I find these old gems on Ebay and usually spend $10-20 for these treasures.

Ran the locomotive around with two freight cars, both forward and reverse, worked great, wanted to make a short clip but ran out of time

more later, Dave

Oh I don’t agree. As I wrote above 25 years ago we took a guided tour of Gettysburg with adults our age at the time mid 40’s. Same reactions and indifference as the way he described his grandkids reactions. The same thing with the US Capital building during the same tour and Arlington NationaL Cemetery. There actually was a question on the bus as who was in the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. That person just could not understand such a ceremony for 1 person. Yeah! Obviously never read the brochure or listened to the tour guide.

Indifference or ignorance to history is what keeps us in these troubling domestic and international times
When I was growing up, in Middle and High School, my teacher's ideas about what I should learn, and my ideas never matched.

Until about two years ago, I avoided all things ACW (American Civil War). I got a lot of it in Jr. High, switched school systems due to a move, and got even more of it, as the focus of the history curriculum was different. I got Civil War'd out. I wanted to learn about WWII where my grandfather had fought. The one day we actually got to study that in the late 70s, was focused on Normandy, and a little about the A-bombs.

I had to spend years reading on my own to get the knowledge I wanted about WWII (and by default, The Great War)

About 2008 I started paying attention to the ARW (American Revolutionary War).

In 2018 ish I started to realize I needed to understand the period in between 1776 and 1900s. Too much of that period really affects the world now.

I now want to visit Shiloh and the surrounding area. I've got friends, including a retired USAF Col who want to take me on guided tours of Gettysburg to help me understand the battles.

But that's only half the battle. Understanding WHY is the reason to study the what. And that's what turned me off early on. Learning the why of history is boring. Give the teen boys the blood and guts, the heroes... It takes a while to understand that the politics behind Lee and Hooker and Meade and Grant and Sherman's rise is based on what happened long before.

Here's what's on my hobby table now... Some of Grant's finest from the 13.5mm Epic ACW by Warlord Games.
Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 8.46.01 AM.png

I realized a while ago that the history bug eventually bites guys who game. If they're playing on tabletop, they'll get tired of spending big $$$ on space marines that change every year... and start looking at the other games, the history games...

Good Morning Fans of the twin rails!

A very nice 69 degrees out and headed towards 91 for the high with bright clear skies.

I fell asleep during the 5th inning last evening! I have to blame the Spousal Unit - she cooked up a delicious meal and I simply ate too much!

TROY - Take notice! It could happen to anyone!

1658323864841.png

Good Morning All. Clear and 84°, just expecting 109° after the record breaker 110° yesterday. Should break the record again today. Humidity was only 12%, so it was the proverbial "dry heat". Morning walk was pleasant this morning with the breeze, but it's getting later due to darkness.

Anniversary of sorts today. Seven years ago today, I started my current job of retirement. I was supposed to work at the old job through Friday, but the boss told me to GTFO, which I promptly did. They did give me two weeks of severance. Leaving was easy and I never looked back. That boss got fired three months later. He was a jerk and wouldn't take my advice or the warnings that I gave him regarding what he was doing wrong. He always resented the fact that I was paid 15% more than him! He had come to our plant from another plant nearby that the parent company shut down since it wasn't making any money.

I tried freezing Yellow Squash yesterday, as I have picked quite a bit in the last week. According to the preserving experts, that's the best and only way to preserve it. I ended up with 6 quart Ziplocs of it in the freezer.
IMG_1332.JPG

I saved two (not pictured) for eating today and I have about a half dozen still on the vine. This morning, I found five more squash in a different drawer in the fridge!!!
There is a slight breeze this morning, so I am going out right now while it's only 87° to whack down the last two trunks on a dead tree. I'm late posting since I emptied the dishwasher and straightened the kitchen out in prep for making something else out of tomatoes this afternoon.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the latest project; Patrick, Tom O, Chad, Sherrel, Louis, Hughie, Dave B, James, Karl, Smudge, Rick, Tom, Mikey, Guy, OB Ken.

Mostly out in the train shed yesterday, I worked on adding finishing touches to the fire department headquarters. I had previously installed lights and some personnel in the structure.
IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

Yesterday, I made a wall to install behind them.
IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

Looks like I need to darken the doors and reinstall.
Added the blue buss wire to the three lights that had been installed. It will go through the hole in the base to the not yet installed light circuit underneath the layout.
IMG_1339.JPG

I reinstalled the ceiling/floor that is there only to prevent light bleed-thru. Maybe in the future I might add figures to the second floor, but I doubt it.
IMG_1340.JPG

Over in town, I added the crosswalks to the intersection. Next will be striping the remaining streets.
IMG_1341.JPG

Curt -
Willie- Nice layout scenes. Do the rulers represent potential sidings?
No, they're just there to help me draw straight lines and verify distances.
Karl - Hope that the primary election went your way.
Dave B - Nice video of the layout. Now it's time for some trees! Your workbench is just too neat.
Yes I use tarpaper to make most roads. I find that it's quite realistic.
Tom O - The transload facility should be a neat project. Gabby should be happy with the A/C. I am not impressed with Scenic Express Super Trees either, yet. I need to revisit them at some point. It seems like I can get something nice out of them, but I find that they are quite tedious to make.

Everyone have a great day.

Attachments

• IMG_1336.JPG
    IMG_1336.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 39
If I was traveling overnight, I'd want a sleeper. I've never ridden a train any longer than a few hours, and that was a commuter train between NYC and DC about 15 years ago.

The most scenic train I was on was train From Dublin to Killarney in Ireland, way back in something like 1995. But that was only a few hours, with minimal stops.

I'd love to take a train from Chicago up to Glacier National Park, then on to Portland or Seattle.. stay there a few days, then do it all in reverse.

Good morning from east central Minnesota, starting out at 66° headed for 87. Yesterday we only hit 82, they had forecasted 95. It was humid, though, humidity dropped substantially about 7 PM.

Flo - I will take an Italian roast coffee, black, and one of those gooey pecan carmel rolls.

Willie - wondered if you are using tarpaper for your street posted yesterday? Whatever it is, it looks good

Tom - really nice little fork lift. Tires especially look real.

History - many don't take it seriously until they lived a bunch. I started appreciating it in my late 20's as I was reading lots of historical fiction, found one of my lifetime heroes Simon Kenton.

Currently enjoy reading old novels, now on The Spy by James Fenimore Cooper. Published in 1821, my edition was published in 1849. I find these old gems on Ebay and usually spend $10-20 for these treasures.

Ran the locomotive around with two freight cars, both forward and reverse, worked great, wanted to make a short clip but ran out of time

more later, Dave

James Fennimore Cooper one of my favorite authors I have read most of his works The Last of the Mohicans, The Deerslayer, The Pathfinder, The Pioneers and the Prairie. I have yet to read the Spy, Red Rover and Leatherstocking Tales.

I also read a lot of if not most of the following authors books; Zane Grey, Louis L'amour, Jim Kjelgaard, and Ernest Hemmingway.

Louis L'amour is one my favorite western writers. Particularity the Sacketts series.

I would love to see Sam Elliot and Tom Selleck do one more western together at their o'l age......

The TV series 1883 I am enjoying thus far with Sam Elliot in the 1st season.

Good stuff!

Good Morning All. Clear and 84°, just expecting 109° after the record breaker 110° yesterday. Should break the record again today. Humidity was only 12%, so it was the proverbial "dry heat". Morning walk was pleasant this morning with the breeze, but it's getting later due to darkness.

Anniversary of sorts today. Seven years ago today, I started my current job of retirement. I was supposed to work at the old job through Friday, but the boss told me to GTFO, which I promptly did. They did give me two weeks of severance. Leaving was easy and I never looked back. That boss got fired three months later. He was a jerk and wouldn't take my advice or the warnings that I gave him regarding what he was doing wrong. He always resented the fact that I was paid 15% more than him! He had come to our plant from another plant nearby that the parent company shut down since it wasn't making any money.

I tried freezing Yellow Squash yesterday, as I have picked quite a bit in the last week. According to the preserving experts, that's the best and only way to preserve it. I ended up with 6 quart Ziplocs of it in the freezer.
View attachment 148960
I saved two (not pictured) for eating today and I have about a half dozen still on the vine. This morning, I found five more squash in a different drawer in the fridge!!!
There is a slight breeze this morning, so I am going out right now while it's only 87° to whack down the last two trunks on a dead tree. I'm late posting since I emptied the dishwasher and straightened the kitchen out in prep for making something else out of tomatoes this afternoon.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the latest project; Patrick, Tom O, Chad, Sherrel, Louis, Hughie, Dave B, James, Karl, Smudge, Rick, Tom, Mikey, Guy, OB Ken.

Mostly out in the train shed yesterday, I worked on adding finishing touches to the fire department headquarters. I had previously installed lights and some personnel in the structure.
View attachment 148961
View attachment 148962
Yesterday, I made a wall to install behind them.
View attachment 148972
View attachment 148974
View attachment 148967
Looks like I need to darken the doors and reinstall.
Added the blue buss wire to the three lights that had been installed. It will go through the hole in the base to the not yet installed light circuit underneath the layout.View attachment 148970
I reinstalled the ceiling/floor that is there only to prevent light bleed-thru. Maybe in the future I might add figures to the second floor, but I doubt it.
View attachment 148971
Over in town, I added the crosswalks to the intersection. Next will be striping the remaining streets.View attachment 148973

Curt -

No, they're just there to help me draw straight lines and verify distances.
Karl - Hope that the primary election went your way.
Dave B - Nice video of the layout. Now it's time for some trees! Your workbench is just too neat.
Yes I use tarpaper to make most roads. I find that it's quite realistic.
Tom O - The transload facility should be a neat project. Gabby should be happy with the A/C. I am not impressed with Scenic Express Super Trees either, yet. I need to revisit them at some point. It seems like I can get something nice out of them, but I find that they are quite tedious to make.

Everyone have a great day.
It is going to be quite some time before trees go on. There is so much to do and so easy to get overwhelmed I have decided to enjoy the trains for a while and just putter with landscaping. I have some buildings to complete and several areas are still in their infancy, decided to put trees on the back burner. (There are 2 trees on the layout now, they are nearly dead with just a few branches so don't show up well.

On the old layout they would get snagged so decided to put them out last, if possible. Thinking about putting cows and sheep, however.

The Fire Dept bldg is very elaborate, turning into a real gem!

Keep cool, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back