Running Bear's July 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!

We're supposed to be headed to Jasper tomorrow, where we hope to get some fishing in.
The fishing will depend on the weather. Personally, I don't care if I get wet, but, the wife gets cold if she's rained on.
For me, it don't matter if we fish; they have a huge CN yard in Jasper. I'll just take photos while the wife shops.

There was rain here every day this past week. There's been a running battle between the sun and the storm clouds, with about a 50/50 chance at exposure for either one. The rainbows arched over the neighbourhood have appeared on a daily basis:
RainbowWrCrt_07-09-2022.JPG

BigG - I hope the lungs improve in short order. Gotta be careful with that; take it easy for awhile.

TomO - Hope you heal up in a hurry, as well. You also best take it easy for a-bit.

DaveB - You are very quick with the layout build. I'm watching. Curious to see how secure the slide-out will work out.; if it maintains proper alignment under operation.

Karl - The spline looks very interesting and is new to me. Hope you post lots of photos as you're moving along.

Joe - You're layout looks great; big!

Curt - Love the work you're doing on the layout. It looks great!

Need give myself a haircut now; been cutting my own hair for 30yrs. Then walk Sky and get gear ready for tomorrow.
I'll see yu'all in a couple of days.

Good Morning All. Clear and 75°, at least it's a little cooler. Yesterday was 103° with a relative humidity of 18% during the hottest part of the day. No heat index but still with a heat advisory. Today will be an "Ozone Action Day" in the counties south of me, part of the Dallas/Ft Worth metro area.
In part the advisory reads:
"You can help prevent ozone pollution by sharing a
ride, walking, riding a bicycle, taking your lunch to work,
avoiding drive-through lanes, conserving energy, and keeping your
vehicle properly tuned.
"
Like this will help in an area with 7.6 million people! I'll do my part by staying home even though the advisory doesn't technically affect me.

Slow day on the SFW estate yesterday, still no yardwork necessary. I did pickle and can another two pints of Jalapeno Peppers, but that's it for now. The grasshoppers have decimated those two plants as well as the green beans. I hope this morning to do some more tomato picking, I can see red ones from the window. Then I hope to cut and split some firewood before the pool warms up too much more. It's 88° right now.
Went to a party last night at brother #2's home in Dallas, second time this week for this normally non-social person. He has a unique method for cooling his pool water. He bought one of those "Redi-Ice" type of machines that you see outside convenience stores, and filled it with 2000' of PEX plastic pipe through which he pumps pool water through. Water coming out at 16° cooler than what goes in, effectively reducing the overall temperature of 19K gallons to 83°. Food truck parked in backyard served 8" pizzas, Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches, Lamb or Chicken subs or steak or chicken kabobs; along with very generous portions of French Fries. When not in use for chilling the pool water, the cooler is the condenser part of his moonshine still, which by all reports was very good. Sorry Tom, I just don't indulge in distilled spirits. He had peach, apple and lime flavored vodka at the main bar alongside two Margarita machines.
On yesterday's trip through Dallas, I noted that gasoline has fallen to $4.13/gal. At the backwoods country convenience store about 7 miles from me, it was $3.99.

Thanks a lot for all of the comments and reactions regarding the mini-scenes on the layout; Karl, Smudge, Joe, Tom O, Hughie, Guy, Sherrel, OB Ken, Patrick, Gary, Louis, Curt, Rick, Mikey, Tom, Dave B.

I am really getting withdrawal symptoms from the train shed with all the partying and grandkids visiting here this past week. I am behind on minor chores out there as well. As such, there are no current pictures so I'll visit the trusty archives again.
Young ladies are always popular, so here's a few.
01-15-20 005.JPG

01-15-20 003.JPG
01-14-20 020.JPG

01-17-20 013.JPG

Tom O - Even though you are feeling better, there seems to still be some kind of issue. Please be careful. Better have your son restock the bar before Terry gets home!;)
Smudge - The model railroad show looked real interesting and the booty score was great even though I didn't actually do the currency conversion.
Chad - I joined the electric mower brigade about 2 months ago. I got a Ryobai. It took some getting used to, especially the lack of noise. I had to slow the self-propelled down to the lowest level, it is just too damn fast for me. I prefer to move at 3 mph. I have to use it without hearing protection to know what it's doing! So far I am satisfied.
Karl - Congratulations on the doggie adoption.
Curt - I agree on the Blatz Beer, but I try to emulate real life on my layout.
Terry - You obviously have a major decision to make soon, and an upheaval either way. To me personally, the humidity in most of Florida would be the breaking point. I actually have no other advice. Close neighbors are also a real turn-off, that's why I live as isolated as I do. I have learned to accept the heat here.
Tom - I was just curious about your pool temperature since your daylight hours are still greater than mine by at least an hour. More sunlight=warmer pool water.
Todd - Hope that you and mama continue to feel better.
Dave B - I am envious of the trees on your property. Such variety.

Everyone have a great Sunday. I'll be grilling fajitas this evening despite the heat.

Good morning all! 73 degrees heading for 83 and sunny. Hanging out with the two younger grandkids right now. They spent the night and are gonna stay for lunch today. Their mom (my daughter) isn't feeling well so they walked over last night and are spending the day with us.

Got up early and went to a farmers market yesterday with my wife. Didn't get a lot but managed to pick up a few things. Came home and made two batches of homemade ice cream, one vanilla and one chocolate. My wife also made some zucchini bread. Nice day overall. Today I need to get started on this week's lessons for my class.

TomO: Curious what continuous glucose monitor they gave you. I use the Dexcom G6. Hope you start feeling better soon!

Hope you all have a great day!

Smudge - The model railroad show looked real interesting and the booty score was great even though I didn't actually do the currency conversion.
Willie, the Shinohara TO works out at $4.21c and the Walthers boxcar was $12.13c, I didn't buy either as I don't have a use for the TO (I don't have any Shinohara track) and the boxcar is one I already have, I just took the photo as I thought it might be interesting.

There was a Athearn SD45 Demonstrator ($19.85). I nearly bought, but the seller didn't know if it was working, and I have two already, hopefully the next show will have more exhibitors so I may find something that I need/want there.

Checking the dates for the next show near me is on the 20-21 Aug so I'll see if I can make that one.

And for anyone interested in live steam, this is at the Yorkshire Garden Railway Show 2021

For anyone interested in doing something different with your layout jump to 10:00.

Last edited:
Good morning all! 73 degrees heading for 83 and sunny. Hanging out with the two younger grandkids right now. They spent the night and are gonna stay for lunch today. Their mom (my daughter) isn't feeling well so they walked over last night and are spending the day with us.

Got up early and went to a farmers market yesterday with my wife. Didn't get a lot but managed to pick up a few things. Came home and made two batches of homemade ice cream, one vanilla and one chocolate. My wife also made some zucchini bread. Nice day overall. Today I need to get started on this week's lessons for my class.

TomO: Curious what continuous glucose monitor they gave you. I use the Dexcom G6. Hope you start feeling better soon!

Hope you all have a great day!
Ken

it is the Freestyle Libre2 by Abbott. I hold my phone up to it and it accepts the data. Must be done at least every 10 hours or the data within that 10 hours is lost. I know there are CGM outthere that pair up to a smart phone and the data is continually supplied. This CGM reads every 15 minutes or if a low blood glucose event is happening, no clue how on that part. Stores the data for the 10 hour time frame. I have an app on the phone for all that and I will daily transmit that data direct to my Endocrinologist‘s office

I loved it when I tried it before. I was in a diabetes program in Jan/February 2022. Because I am not insulin dependent my supplemental Insurance nor Medicare will not pay for it. $65 a week for the CGM out of pocket but I need a Perscription for it and while the doctor would write the script the UW Health system will not allow non insured scripts to be written.

Afternoon all,

Busy morning again as my morning was spent running a mower at the boy's house. His lawn needed it, and it's only getting hotter. He's got medical issues that the heat would aggrevate, so dad to the rescue!
Fired up the grill, while I'm grilling some chicken for meals later this week, I also have some vegetables in a pouch on the grill, which when closer to being done, I'll grill some cod filets. Just for something different.
Hopefully, it turns out.

Supposed to get to the upper 90's later today.

Sorry if I came across as grouchy yesterday.

TomO: Glad you're felling a bit better. Just take it easy.

May get some train time, but not sure what I'd get done.

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then got started with lighting hookup. I had one more Miniatronics distribution board that after everything was hooked did not work. I was afraid that I had burned out the LED's somehow but when I put a set of feeder wires on the main line it worked (so LED's weren't burn't out). After removing all the wires (9 sets) I attached them to the lighting buss and everything worked. I'll take some photos after dark.

Thank you yesterday for the photo likes.

Gary- Thank you.

Mikey- I've been involved in that situation several times.

Terry- I would never (personally) live in a trailer in Florida. Between hurricanes, tornadoes, and microbursts (which we get in Central FL) trailers seem to get hit the worst. When I retired I wanted to move to SC. The wife wanted FL because of the temperatures (hates cold weather) so here we are. Things have worked out well for us financially but as others have mentioned it's too damn hot and humid.

Karl- Nice addition to the family. I'm glad both dogs get along. Very nice job on the spline.

Jeff- Congrats on the new acquitions.

Joe- Wow. The layout looks great. I didn't realize (or forgot :rolleyes:) how large it is. Is that a Rapido RS11 in the photo?

Guy- Thank you. That's a nice backyard.

Willie- Nice Scenes.

Hughie- I'm a junior but I didn't continue the name with my son.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
Is that a Rapido RS11 in the photo?
Curt: No that's an Atlas version, coupled to a Proto RS27, just out of the Photo. Right now, I'm running / displaying PRR and CNJ. Rapido RS11 and RS3 return in the Fall when I morph to Early PC plus the Reading.

Curt and Guy: Long way to go to reach the caliber of some or the modelers on this site, but Thank You for the complement. 2' wide, single level, 23.6 x16.0 x 19.5 in a U shape. Mostly Micro Engineering Code 70.

Louis: 8 straight, 1 game away from .500, and only 2.5 Games behind for a Wild Card, (if I read it right). MLB.com says they might be buying, this trade deadline. Have the 1st Over all Draft Pick also...Nice!

Lots of Pat's in my family:

Myself: Patrick(Pat)
Wife's sister: Patricia (Patty)
Son: Patrick, Jr.(P)
Son-in-Law: Patrick (PJ)

Grand kids call the 2 boys either P (son) or PJ (son-in-law) and the wife's sister Mrs. Patty. Don't remember the reasoning.

So we have a Pat, Patty, Patrick, or PJ when we do things with the wife's family.

Cod and veggies turned out well. Consisted of zucchini, yellow summer squash, green bell pepper, baby carrots, red onion, small red potatoes. A bit of salt and pepper, some butter an wrapped in a foil pouch on the grill for 30 minutes. Cod had a good flavor, but I didn't direct grill it. Put in on foil with a touch of salt and pepper on a cooler part of the grill. It took some of the hardwood smoke ( I use natural lump charcoal) and a touch of applewood I had laying around I can't use in the smoker.

Curt: No that's an Atlas version, coupled to a Proto RS27, just out of the Photo. Right now, I'm running / displaying PRR and CNJ. Rapido RS11 and RS3 return in the Fall when I morph to Early PC plus the Reading.

Curt and Guy: Long way to go to reach the caliber of some or the modelers on this site, but Thank You for the complement. 2' wide, single level, 23.6 x16.0 x 19.5 in a U shape. Mostly Micro Engineering Code 70.

Louis: 8 straight, 1 game away from .500, and only 2.5 Games behind for a Wild Card, (if I read it right). MLB.com says they might be buying, this trade deadline. Have the 1st Over all Draft Pick also...Nice!
Following up, the Nationals and Phillies lost by identical 4-3 scores, and the Mets continued their annual July flop, losing to Miami, 2-0....Amazin!

Hughie: That's quite a genealogy, Can't say I've ever known anyone with a similar history. Cool!

Made Cheese Steaks with fried onions, peppers and tomatoes, on an Italian roll with ketchup. Used Borden's Lactaid free cheese to accomodate my digestive system, and that worked out well.

Going down into the upper 50s toight. Currently 65°, after a pleasant afternoon. Warming up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back