Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning from out here ... have been waking up around 4 am every day and trying to find the NEOWISE COMET which (www.apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html) supposed to be visible however due to the ocean influence so far I have not been able to find it due to a foggy/cloudy overcast in the very early morning.
Well - the link I copied does not seem to want to work - the website is Astronomy Picture of the Day.

Lots of nice photos of models and the real Mccoy too!
I look and like all of them.
Keep up the good work.
I hate to say it, but I have just about written off all sports. A real shame as I used to sleep with my baseball glove!
We played basketball year-round in school (4 class B State Tournamentsnfor yours truly) as did not have enough players for a football team and sometimes had to "borrow" guys from the colored school in order to have a full squad for baseball - no one seemed to mind back then even though it was before "forced" integration.

Better get moving - have a bunch on my plate this morning - and I want to get a few outside things done before it gets too warm. Only supposed to be 86 today down from 89 yesterday; however, the lack of any moisture in the air really gives off intense sunshine!

Guy: My interpretation of a pleasant day is 25-28 degreesC, slight breeze. We need what a long retired weather man used to call an Idaho High. Only sun for 7-10 days. Havent felt/seen one of those in yrs. I'm still wearing long sleeved fleecy stuff to ward off the chills.
couple of pics: CN & CP crossing each other close to this refinery about an hour NE of where I live
Granddaughter hunting chickens with her first shotgun
railroads.jpg
IMG_0702 (2).JPG

Good morning from the very humid So Central part of Wisconsin. We may hit 90f degrees, we have very little breeze but we have lots of humidity. Possible pop up severe T-storms per the TV weather guesser. The IPad says definitely nasty storms coming.

Great pictures from all, great stories and sports memories from Louis and a precious picture of a granddaughter decked out in natural hunting gear for her 1st chicken shotgun hunt. That is a keeper picture! Have a safe cool day. TomO
The wife is very happy, finally some flowers blooming when we were home.
06FAC37B-AD2A-4C87-9953-5ACE9E2A9816.jpeg

Good evening. This was taken after I returned from Physical Therapy. It's my left leg, after being taped with Kinesio Taping. They ran out of neutral colored tape, so i got the works....
Kinesio Taping on left leg 7-8-2020.jpg

This is effective support for muscles and helps reduce swelling. This therapy is very intense.

The two books I ordered from Morning Sun, were out for delivery all day, and are now "available for pick-up at the Howell Post Office... Based on tracking, the package arrived at the PO about the same time the local route carrier was delivering on the other side of the street. So the package will probably arrive tomorrow. Just wish they wouldn't lie about it on the tracking. Sound familiar Ken and Terry?

Garry: Nice to have the grandchildren visiting. looks like everyone had fun. Like the passenger train, and yes I learned of that tip on the MRCDCC@groups.io List. Worth joining if you aren't already a member.

Louis: There you go bringing back memories of when Baseball and Football were fun to follow.

Moermusic: B-17 right...nice!

TomO: I just grasped exactly how mamouth your Paper Mill Complex really is. Nice work.

Belt Line Jct 1952.jpg

Trains passing at Belt Line Jct., Reading PA in 1952. The Reading had the largest fleet of Baldwin AS-16s, as well as a large fleet of EMD GP-7s, but no GP-9s. Remember, if you take a Ride on the Reading, and Pass GO, you can collect $200.00 from the Bank

Happy Thursday....expecting some Coastal Carolina type weather here tomorrow into Saturday. We can use some rain, but all at once?

Received word today, that First Son, has been awarded the Bronze Star, during his current deployment to Afghanistan.

Ventured out to the grocery store this morning, and got to push around the shopping cart. No problems. Longest time on my feet

Willie: Like the fence. Guy: wow Alberta without snow. Nice yard. Louis and Terry: I can pass it rather well also....especially when they gave me the prune juice, in the hospital...wow!

Might do a decoder in an Atlas Alco RS3 later today. Also have some home therapy exercises. Busy schedule.:rolleyes:

Morrisville July 2 2020.jpg

Delmore Avenue in Morrisville, PA, across the river from the state Capitol in Trenton. Crew is shoving up the "Old Line" to CP MA past the Dairy Queen on 07-02-2020. So much for social distancing.

Good evening

Everybody .... Thanks again for the Likes and Comments on my grandchildren pictures. Also, thank you for the likes and comments on my photo of dome cars and horses.

Boris .... That looks like a very colorful knee. I hope it continues to improve. Your train pictures are interesting. I wonder if the CSX crew stopped for a DQ ice cream cone.

Willie .... Your antique shop is excellent. Smiling at your bump sign.

Guy ..... That is a very nice backyard. Nice start working on the building.

Below is a coal train I am operating on my layout.

50095870617_e1fd180b7e_k.jpg

Good evening

Everybody .... Thanks again for the Likes and Comments on my grandchildren pictures. Also, thank you for the likes and comments on my photo of dome cars and horses.

Boris .... That looks like a very colorful knee. I hope it continues to improve. Your train pictures are interesting. I wonder if the CSX crew stopped for a DQ ice cream cone.

Willie .... Your antique shop is excellent. Smiling at your bump sign.

Guy ..... That is a very nice backyard. Nice start working on the building.

Below is a coal train I am operating on my layout.

50095870617_e1fd180b7e_k.jpg
You have a beautiful layout. Is it based on a certain part of the CB&Q?

Willie, if I were expecting a refund, I would be more motivated to have my taxes ready. As it is, I am looking at writing close to a 5-figure check to the IRS. I am happy for the 3 month no interest loan that is the July 15th extension.

Good morning Everybody!

I was able to deliver some packages for Amazon yesterday. That is my favorite form of physical therapy. The pool and yard work also provide some physical therapy. After all these years of expecting me to die the doctors have recently been telling me to try and be more active, I am trying!

Amazon has opened 7 new distribution centers in Maryland. I like delivering for the newest one in Edgewood, MD. The routes send me into rural farmland and some established residential housing developments. It is nice to see middle class housing does exist outside of the Baltimore metro area.

Not much new in my neck of the woods. I did watch some baseball from Korea. They have the same slow pace as MLB. There are no fans in the stands, but they do have cheerleaders!
1594376802819.png

Have a great day Everybody!

Morning all,

Another morning with rain and thunderstorms coming through. Just under the severe category and were under a watch until 10:00 am this morning.
When I got home I had to re-stake the tomatoes as the storms the night before had them laying almost flat.Heavy cages collapsed, go figure. Wire that can keep cows in a pasture can't keep tomatoes up. I found several that had the darned blossom end rot. I actually put a couple of rounds of calcium nitrate around the tomatoes, which is supposed to stop this. At least it's not yet as bad as last year, where 80% had it at this time. I did find a couple of ripe ones I missed and picked up several orange ones that broke loose from the wind. They're ripening on the counter along with a couple of large green ones. Several more orange ones I would have missed had the wind not blasted them.

Louis: It hit me on the way home last night...Your talk of flatulence convinced me of your super hero name: The Spleen! 🤣 (Another obscure movie reference).

Dang it, Now I have to find a copy to watch again,

Last edited:
Good morning Everybody!

I was able to deliver some packages for Amazon yesterday. That is my favorite form of physical therapy. The pool and yard work also provide some physical therapy. After all these years of expecting me to die the doctors have recently been telling me to try and be more active, I am trying!

Amazon has opened 7 new distribution centers in Maryland. I like delivering for the newest one in Edgewood, MD. The routes send me into rural farmland and some established residential housing developments. It is nice to see middle class housing does exist outside of the Baltimore metro area.

Not much new in my neck of the woods. I did watch some baseball from Korea. They have the same slow pace as MLB. There are no fans in the stands, but they do have cheerleaders!
View attachment 115131
Have a great day Everybody!
I'm not greedy, one'll do.

Good Morning Everyone. It's clear and 77° this Friday morning. Ongoing heat advisory in effect here with a heat index of 104° this afternoon.
Yesterday's weekly grocery/beer trek went smoothly. 100% of customers in all stores that I visited were wearing masks, which is now mandated by the state for any county with over 20 Covid cases.

Let me have a pair of sunny-side-up eggs and a few sausage links today Flo. Throw in a couple of slices of toasted whole wheat bread to complete the meal.

Thanks to one and all who liked or commented on yesterday's layout update; Jerome, Dave, Patrick, Guy, Chad, Sherrel, Louis, Tom O, Joe, Chet, Phil, Mopac, Tom, Garry.

Continued with odds and ends yesterday in the train shed. I got the next few fence sections in place, almost. One posthole does not exactly line up correctly so I have to either make the hole bigger or cut off the mounting peg.
07-10-20 020.JPG

07-10-20 024.JPG

On the quarterly layout clean up, I visually looked for any stray parts along the rails of the target section and found none. I also gav the main and passing siding a quick cleaning with my Woodland Scenics "Tidy Track" wand. Note that I broke the handle about two or three years ago, but it still works just the same.
07-10-20 023.JPG

As I have posted before, my track doesn't really get dirty, a combination of a clean environment and frequent train running. No heavy hand here and I use the mild white pads instead of the more coarse gray ones. Today I will vacuum and remove any lingering particles from the pads.

Guy - Nice looking yard, and a good start on the structure.
Dave - Here's a couple of pictures of my Middlesex Manufacturing, Nothing special about it, yet!
07-10-20 001.JPG

07-10-20 002.JPG

I painted the windows gray and I have not yet installed the multiple chimneys, if I ever do. It is presently just a "stand-in" structure with no particular purpose other than to shuttle boxcars to and from. At some point, I have a second kit which I am going to combine with this one to make a very large industry, afterward I will weather them together. My issue with the structure is the dock door spacing. They are just 21' apart (scale), thus I cannot have two 50' boxcars together and have them both line up with a door, as the spacing between the center of the first and third doors is just 42'. I have the room there to combine them and make a much larger industry.
Moermusic - " long sleeved fleecy stuff " Wow! I've been in shorts and tee shirts since late February.
Joe - Congratulations to your son for his Bronze Star. You must be extremely proud of him.
Patrick - Another contributing factor to blossom end rot can be either over or under watering. Several organic calcium additives are available, lime will also raise your pH if your soil is too acid, gypsum will add calcium without raising the pH. I add lots of eggshells to my compost which also adds calcium. I pick a majority of my tomatoes when they just begin to turn colors and let them ripen indoors. Once they begin to change from green, they no longer grow any larger, and they may split. If I let mine get too red/orange/yellow, I am open to grasshopper damage as the skin softens enough for them to pierce it with the onset of ripeness.

Everybody stay cool and safe. Have a great day.

Good Morning Everyone.....a rainy and stormy evening and this morning it's overcasted and with drizzle.

Yesterday, finally down to the train room and worked on several projects. I found three bottles of paint that I misplaced when I did the Lilly pads. Cleaned up a bit and put things back into their places.

I have a C&NW Walters SW1 DC Train-Line locomotive that I've had for perhaps over five years. I never could remove the cab since it was attached before the paint fully cured and it's a process to squeeze and lift the cab to remove and then remove the long nose. The guys at Walters showed me how to remove it and I never could out of fear of breaking some details. The guys even offered to remove the cab if I brought the loco into Walthers, but I keep forgetting to do so.

Yesterday, I decided it was now or never to remove the cab and after many attempts I finally got the cab off the frame without damage. The loco's interior guts are typical of a DC locomotive with a DCC ready board and eight pin connector and I removed all the wires and plastic push tabs and soldered the wires to the PC board. The locomotive runs like a Swiss watch!!! The front and rear headlites are LED's.

These little locomotives in DC were like $59.00 or so and lacked some detail, still look great when running and switching. I have several other Walther's Train-Line that run just as smooth. I'll install a cheap DCC decoder and then replace the cab and nose.

I ran that troublesome SD-40 six axle locomotive that used to derail for as many as three hours an no derailments. So I guess I'll consider the problem as being solved. I had adjusted the front wheel-sets.

Today, I plan on using a spray bottle with some water and alcohol mixed to spray some foliage to remove the dust. Dust in the train room can get out of hand if I don't keep up with spraying and the vacuums.

Garry: Like the post photo and the cattle pens in the rear. Nice family photo.

Willie: In the future do you plan to add operating exterior lighting to the buildings? I use my Tidy Track Cleaner a lot on the layout, especially now that the pole wiring has been installed. How long does it take a trai to transverse the entire mainline on your layout?

I once knew a HO modeler who built a mine complex in a room adjoining his layout and the only lighting was the area and building lighting and that was enough to illuminate the entire room and scenes. It was very effective. It's amazing how much light a single lamps can produce in darkness.

Off to the cabin on Sunday for a couple of days. The heat and humidity is suppose to be milder over Sunday and Monday. Hope to do so some staining.

That's all for now......

Greg

#############

Last edited:
Morning train nerds!
Supposed to be back into the 90's today (no clouds) and triple digits over the weekend.

FLO - How about a plateful of MEL's wonderful biscuits and gravy this morning with a handful of bacon ?

Enjoying everyone's posts and pictures this morning - carry on!

JOE - Congrats on your son's Bronze Star! Prayers for all the troops deployed, or otherwise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back