Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
bought the Middlesex Manufacturing for my birthday recently.
SA-31 at Helmetta February 26 2009 (1) (002).jpg

Thought you would like to see the real one, the Helm Tobacco Co, in Helmetta, Middlesex, CO, NJ. The portio modeled is aproximately opposite the covered hopper. I am using my kit as a part of a chemical processing company. Can't find a file photo right now.

Louis: I'm not going to continue beating the dead horse over contemporary sports. I hear you, and I understand where you are coming from. Back in the 1950s, my dad, an avid sportsman and fan, would say that Television, would ruin sports...maybe, he was right?

Didn't know, in our supposedly heightened state of economic crisis, that it would be so difficult to hire a vendor, to cut my Quarter acre lawn, for the rest of the summer, while I recuperate...

Eastbound @ Altoona 7-2-1978.jpg

Early Conrail, on the PC main at Altoona.

Boris, your Dad was right to some extent. For the purist, the game was ruined slowly by TV over time. By the early 90s it was almost a completely different set of games.

The mentality of “hey, look at me, I’m going to be on sports center!” Even the fans have fallen into it with more and more outrageous costumes. That and many other more subtle influences of TV have changed sports forever.

ABC's Wide World of Sports said it best, "The thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat! The human drama of athletic competition." I still love it! :)

Howdy ..... Family visitors left yesterday, and suddenly it is quiet here. 2 grandkids kept us very busy over the long 4th of July weekend here at the lake. Fishing, boating, swimming, kayaking, etc. Fireworks viewed on a boat were very nice with a full moon.

50090261496_5fb423cd25_k.jpg

50089695353_7e9c1d8adb_k.jpg

50090274826_cc4c9d84b9_k.jpg

50090558947_d7591262db_c.jpg

50090519277_79df3f24c1_k.jpg

It looks like you Coffee Shop Patrons have been busy with much to say. I'll try to catch up with your posts later.

Good Morning Everybody!

Despite my best efforts I have been busy ridding the roller coaster that is my health. On the other hand, I can’t complain. I have been living with several chronic illnesses for nearly 20 years. Any one of which could/should have taken me out long ago.

I say with all conviction, “thank God, everyday is a good day” 😊 I’m just not very active or talkative somedays.

I need to muster up the energy to get my taxes finished.

As for professional sports, they have always been near and dear to me throughout my life. I learned to read with the sports page. I learned math with statistics in the newspaper. I learned to give my all and always do my best. I learned sometimes you must make sacrifices for the good of the team and so much more from sports. Sports have been a tremendous positive influence in my life. For a young man with little guidance from my family, the things I learned from sports became my moral compass.

I cannot control the greed that permeates professional sports any more than I can control the greed that permeates our capitalist society. Capitalism with a conscience is the only way, but some ignore their conscience.

The worst part for me is when I see the greed on the playing field; ducking hard hit balls, refusing to play through minor pain, not doing the selfless, little things that can help the team win and so much more.

I don’t like it when any individual thinks they are bigger than the game. I don’t see the playing field as a platform to promote a cause, any cause. The playing field is where you set an example of how to live by the way you play the game. Say what ever you want off the playing field, but let your actions speak for themselves on the playing field.

Having said all that, I miss the competition of playing sports. As an old man who can no longer play, I miss watching young players give their all to win and establish themselves. I doubt anything will ever diminish my love for sports. Sports are too deeply interwoven into who I am to ever turn my back on sports.

Play Ball!

Have a great day Everybody!

Louis
Well said! So much of what you say is so right and true and somewhat the way I feel. I loved sports and have spent way too much time and money over the years supporting them, plus TV time. Former NFL season ticket holder for 2 teams at the same time plus BlackHawks tickets. Colin Kaepernick really had no influence on my decision to drop the NFL tickets but the greed of ownership did. I still watch the NFL but not much, I will watch the BlackHawks and we do have season tickets for the UW Badgers Women’s National Champion hockey team. But, I no longer will adjust my schedule to watch a sport on TV.
TomO

Good morning from a wet humid So. Central Wisconsin where the storms came in around 5 yesterday afternoon but the really bad stuff went around our neighborhood. Needed the rain but not just in a 15 minute dump. 90’s again today.

There have been some great pictures, stories and comments here the last few days. I do not have rom on the layout for some of the cities and towns you folks are sharing but I love them. If there is another layout in me, I would like a city/town track down the street scene. In the meantimeI have my Paper Mill to finish but not complete. Enjoy your day.

TomO

this is turning the corner of the east side of the Mill to the heavier duty north side.
768AA7A7-48A9-4739-A02A-3A4402E548D3.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Started out running errands that took much longer than expected. In the train room I tested and installed the power supply that a buddy gave me (brand new) for powering the accessory buss (i.e. lighting). After that I ran the first wire for that buss and should finish the buss tomorrow. I was looking at the box of spooled wire I bought months ago to get the reverse loop wire ready to go and discovered that I had ordered 20 ga instead of 14 ga like I wanted to, so I just ordered that. Of course it will be between 1 and 2 weeks to get here. I guess that means the loconet is next up on the agenda. Starting Friday there will probably be no train room time until Tuesday based on family commitments I've been committed to...if you get my drift. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for the likes on my work yesterday.

Dave- Nice acquisition of the 4 Adlake lanterns.

Patrick- I understood immediately the reference although I haven't seen the movie since it came out.

Toot- Nice compilation of a MRL job.

Willie- I really like the background flats. They give a real sense of depth to the scene.

TomO- Very nice scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

View attachment 115106
View attachment 115107
I agree with Bill Belichick, Bert Jones was the best pure passer I have ever seen!
Louis
You are bringing back great sports memories to me. There was a QB in Cincinnati before Kenny Anderson that was great. His name was Greg Cook but blew out his arm. Very awesome, great thrower. I do remember Bert Jones.

Brooks, Boog and Frank, great players but the birds had even better pitching.

TomO

Good evening .

Everybody ...... Thanks for the "likes" on my pictures of grandkids visiting us here at the lake.

Last week I did a quick and easy fix of my MRC wireless throttles. The potentiometers were not working correctly, and it was hard to control speed. A model train friend told me what to do. First, remove the knob and open the case. Next unscrew the circuit board. Now, I could see the potentiometer which had two small holes (one on each side). I sprayed tuner spray into each hole, and rotated the potentiometer several times. I put it back together, and it works fine. ...... ( I suppose the DCC experts here already know how to do this. )

36604425732_1958a08285_b.jpg

Everybody have a nice night.

Louis
You are bringing back great sports memories to me. There was a QB in Cincinnati before Kenny Anderson that was great. His name was Greg Cook but blew out his arm. Very awesome, great thrower. I do remember Bert Jones.

Brooks, Boog and Frank, great players but the birds had even better pitching.

TomO

I remember Greg Cook, that guy had a rocket arm! Bill Walsh said Cook was the most talented quarterback he had ever seen!
1594286593513.png

Ken Anderson was no slouch; he is still one of the most accurate passers in NFL history!
1594286514166.png

Earl Weaver is remembered for his power hitting teams and his love for the 3-run homerun, but his pitching staffs were so deep he often only had 8 pitchers on the 25-man active roster. Pitching and defense was the real key to Weaver and the Orioles success.
1594286749270.png

Good Morning all,

Thunderstorms this morning and according to the weather heads about 1/4 of rain at the airport. Who lives there? We had over an inch when I left the house this morning and it was still raining. We need it.

Nothing on the trains last night. The getting home later makes it harder to get things done in the evening.

Good Morning Everybody. Starting out warn at 77° and clear. Only expecting a high of 96° with a heat index of only 106°. Obviously we are under a heat advisory. Looks like Patrick is hogging all of the rain for now, although I can't complain after 2"+ on Monday.
Headed out this morning for the weekly grocery/beer trek. Wife was going to go because she had an early doctor appointment with her cardiologist; but they changed it to a "Tele-med" appointment. It's a prelude to her getting her right knee replacement done soon, maybe this month. Not too sure how they can listen to her heart over the phone?:confused:
I wore myself out doing weedeating yesterday morning. Went through a whole spool of trimmer line before calling it quits for the morning. Then it was tomato picking time. Unwittingly stepped into a new bed of ants and had to dig out the Benadryl when done. Thankfully they are not fire ants, as we don't have that issue on the SFW estate. Fire ants are the most favored meal of armadillos which we have our share of. Funny how they like fire ants but not red ants or the more common piss ants. I did rake up some of the grass clippings pictured Monday, as they were still too wet to use the bagger. I'll resume mowing today in the early afternoon, in the shaded parts of the yard. If I don't start now, it may become too high again.

Scrambled eggs and a handful of bacon for me this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday on my progress; Louis, Garry, Patrick, Guy, Jerome, Phil, Curt, Sherrel, Tom.

Yesterday in the train shed was mainly just an odds and ends day. While looking for something else on the workbench, I came across the signs that I had printed a couple of months ago for the antiques shop that I had built at that time, but never applied.
07-09-20 001.JPG

Oooops! I didn't see that fallen over wood stove. On the to do list for today.
Also, Sherrel expressed concern regarding the grade crossing last week, so I fixed that.
07-09-20 008.JPG

Here's a shot of some of the hairpin fencing around the historical museum.
07-09-20 003.JPG

Through the fencing, you can just barely see the parking lot stripes that I managed to get done. Ran trains for about a half hour as well.
I won't get much done today due to the grocery trek and returning to yard mowing, as well as frequent trips to the pool.

Louis -
I need to muster up the energy to get my taxes finished.
Might be a good investment. If the government owes you, you collected 5% interest for April, May and June. I think that it drops to 3% after that. The catch is that it is taxable income on your 2020 return next spring. While it ain't beating the stock market, it sure beats savings accounts, CD's or money market.
James -
Willie are you canning the salsa?
Yes I am. I do salsa in pint or half-pint jars since I don't use any preservatives and we cannot use a whole quart quickly enough, even though it is refrigerated after opening.
Dave - I haven't forgotten you, I just forgot to take the picture yesterday.
Tom O - I also like track in the street, but it doesn't fit at all in my modeled locale or era.
Curt -
I had ordered 20 ga instead of 14 ga like I wanted to,
Oooops! But you now have a good supply of feeder wire!

Saw a couple of new faces in here yesterday, moermusic and blackz28. Great to see you guys here, come back more often.
Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning, Everyone.
We've had a few days of rain this past week, with yesterday being a day of consistent downpour. The ground is drenched and the water table is extremely high. Down in the valley (where the CN tracks are), a local state of emergency has been declared as a result of some flooding. The Athabaska River is acting up, and in my humble opinion, the Athabaska is one of the most dangerous rivers in Alberta. Very fast and unforgiving.
Today, is turning out to be quite pleasant. 51F as I visit you, with a 60ish high expected and only a 65% chance of more rain. Very pleasant, indeed.
I took a photo of the backyard a few moments ago. You can see the moisture fog rising in the background, as the sun tries to evaporate all that wet:
07-09-2020.JPG

I have lots to say to the good folks herein, but, very little time. So it's just a coffee and then a run out the door.
I know it's been a bit slow, but what a bunch of wonderful photos been showing up here. Great work, guy's.
I did get a minor start on a building. Very minor. I'll work on it here and there when time allows. Here is a photo, just because if I open my big mouth, I have to show proof:
Marshall-Wells 07-09-2020.JPG

That kit will become the Marshall-Wells hardware, in time.
Anyway, gotta run. The downside of the honey-do list.
Have a great day, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back