Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Another nice day ahead.

Sherrel - Sorry to hear about the virus situation, but I do believe that you guys made the right decision. Are you having to wear masks according to your wonderful buddy Newsome? Like the photo of the gruesome twosome and Willie's layout.

TomO - Like to see that I'm not the only one with a messy work area.

Alan - Like the trolley photo that both you and Sherrel posted. I was fortunate enough to have ridden on quite a few outstanding trains, but never got to ride on one of out trolleys. The trams I rode on in Europe do NOT count.

Greg - Most of my steamers behave on the layout with the exception of a Bachmann decopod and an Atheran Genisis light mike that have pilot truck problems. That watering hole looks like a good place to visit.

Garry - Like the GT photos.

Willie
- Good photos again. Looks like someone is enjoying them self.

Phil - I well know the feeling about not being able to do what we used to. That one reason I am selling off some of my old cars. Getting hard to work on them any more.

Have to get the grill ready for another grilling session. We had a number of friends over last night and today the grand kids will be over. Burgers and hot dogs are a bit easier than the london broil we did last night.

Back to the archive for photos.

thumbnail_20190504_162357.jpg

20180225_130644.jpg

thumbnail_20190410_110118.jpg
thumbnail_20200121_141013.jpg

20181030_105439.jpg

thumbnail_20190402_143309.jpg

Later

Afternoon All,

Started out with chores, did some routine pool stuff and actually got the vacuum to work which made me :). After lunch I started on the dreaded main buss wiring. I rigged up a wire spool holder and ran the first main buss wire. It took around 2.5 hours and about 120 feet of 14 ga. solid wire. I mounted slack at every module boundary in case I have to break it apart in the future and reconnect it. I also mounted the DCC circuit breaker. Tomorrow is the second main buss wire install.

I was just informed I'm helping daughter lay floor tile in eldest grandsons room on Friday. My back and knees hurt already.

Chet- Great layout photos. The wife and I wear masks when we go out because she has COPD and greatly at risk.

Joe- Yeah, the wife is always right.

Tom- Looks like a nice deck with a attached above ground pool?

Sherrel- Nice job on the vats. You really need to cancel and tell them why.

TomO- The substation looks good. We all get burnout from time to time.

Willie- Nice finish to the bldg. Beautiful looking beach sand, but I'm not much of a beachgoer.

Willie/Sherrel- Looks like the rogues gallery!:D

I hope everyone has a good night.

Morning all,

Too many pages to keep up with, so I'm posting now and will catch up later today.

Weekend was tough as it was hot and humid. Temps expected to 105 later this week, so it's July in Kansas. The daughter w\cancer ended up in the hospital all weekend and I may have to leave early to get her from there later today. She'll be ok, but took the DR's a bit to figure out what was going on.

I did get some modeling time, so I'll have pictures in my fire station thread. OK, one teaser:
20200705_143537.jpg

Looking pretty good there, Patrick!
Sorry to hear of the daughter's setback - hope everything will be fine?

Morning FLO - I just finished the prep for my procedure this morning so I can't have anything to eat or drink. It's the pits I tell you!
I am going to be planning on a good lunch afterwards - so please have MEL on standby.

It was 97 yesterday and 95 expected today. It appears that summer has arrived!

Good Morning All. 77° and overcast. Current radar view shows rain over the SFW estate, but it doesn't appear to be hitting the ground. It's definitely in the atmosphere though. High today is only expected to be 84° after a week of low-90's. Patrick has been having our weather lately with his triple digits.
I managed to complete the mowing of the front yard yesterday. It had gotten higher than I realized and it looks like a hayfield right now.
07-06-20 005.JPG

Thanks again for the likes and comments regarding the layout progress, or were they for the bikinis? Chet, Sherrel, Jerome, Guy, Curt, Phil, Tom.

Eggs over easy and a handful of bacon this morning Flo. Double glass of ice-cold OJ to go with it.

Made some progress in the train shed yesterday, slowly though. Moving on to the Historic Museum part of the CUP. I set up the track for the display of RR equipment.
07-06-20 002.JPG

07-06-20 004.JPG

Looks like everything fits as planned.
I also started cutting out and gluing together sections of the "hairpin" fencing that will keep my citizens/visitors safe from passing trains.
07-06-20 001.JPG

I want to ballast that track lightly and add ground cover to the area before installing the fencing. I am modeling this after the historical museum in Foley AL, that I have posted pictures of before.

Tom O - That's a really nice looking electrical sub-station. Is it scratch-built, kits or a combination of both?
Sherrel -
BEADY does not seem to be around - so in his honor - here is a close-up!
I'd be afraid of what Beady might post!o_O
Is that a drinking saloon, or a hair salon?
Hair Salon.
Good luck with the procedure today. Wear your mask.
Chet - As usual, nice looking scenes.
Patrick - Sorry to read of your daughter's setback. Fire station is coming along nicely.

I know that we have a couple of visitors here that do not wear masks in public during this Covid-19 pandemic. I fully understand the reasoning behind this. They are uncomfortable and there are mixed opinions even among medical professionals as to their effectiveness. A lot depends on local circumstances like Montana. I wear one whenever I go out in public because I am in four "at risk" categories, live in proximity to one of the "hot spots" (Dallas) in Texas and I don't wish to become a statistic yet. My own county is almost devoid of confirmed cases and there have been no deaths, so that is comforting and I don't fret too much about the lack of masks in the feed store or meat market that I go to around here. Never crowded so social distancing is easy. I still wear one however.

Well, since I started composing this post, the rain started, rather heavily, so I won't be removing those grass clippings from the yard yet. Ooooh! Thunder too! Won't need to irrigate the garden this week, tomatoes are still coming at me full force.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning from the steamy humid deck in So. Central Wisconsin where we may hit 95 at 3 this afternoon. My lawn needs mowing, it’s been two weeks but only to make it even, it’s not a uniformly long grass and brown is it’s newest color, too expensive to water. But, it will have to wait, too Hot to cut this week. My wife does water all of her plants. The weekend was a downer but I feel better now, about 10 last night, ran the layout till almost midnight. I usually run point to point, it’s a ISL but I have a drop in section to join everything up and ran in circles last night, no switching, just run, blasting the horn to annoy my wife and occasionally the bell not to annoy me.

Willie: the substation is from Walthers and basically is straight from the box. I cut apart the base as the one I use for inspiration is also more spread apart. The fencing will be scratch, the electrical cabinet building is scratch and there will be a small garage building I already scratched. The substation from Walthers is almost exact to the real one I looked at. The colors, shades of gray even matched. It was a PITA to fit the stuff together but I like it. Moving slowly along on it as it seems like everything is slowing down since the 1st June.

The picture below. This is supposed to be my Paper Mill’s water lab. The used water has to be recycled and certified clean before it can be dumped back into the Wisconsin River. It had a place in the Mill complex but I put the Water Cooling tower there instead. Still looking and while it doesn’t fit now, I will finish the building this week, something different as I am not changing anything except I removed the crazy ass chimneys. Enjoy your day. TomO
5748CB5D-868D-48F3-8823-B58DAEFEE314.jpeg

Last edited:
What a difference 2" of rain in 30 minutes makes. Compare the picture of the front yard above (taken about 0715) with the one I just took about 15 minutes ago. This view is from the front porch.
07-06-20 007.JPG

View from the SE corner.
07-06-20 014.JPG

Compare this view of my pond compared to the flooded one two weeks ago.
Then.
06-22-20 002.JPG

Now!
07-06-20 009.JPG

07-06-20 008.JPG

Water is even higher today.
Needless to say, no outdoor chores today except to empty the rain gauge and remove water from the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back