Running Bear's July 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Well got called to the hospital at 10:30a yesterday to get the daughter as she was going to be ready. I was there in 30 minutes and then we waited another 3 hours before they finally let her go. "Oh and do you mind walking yourself to the parking lot? It will be another hour before we can get someone to wheel you out." I just love for profit hospitals......but this one has a children's hospital so it has to be good right? <sarcasm>

Willie: You're no longer hated. I got home yesterday and between the rain showers we weren't supposed to have, I picked these:

20200706_141234.jpg

The first of many. I still don't know how they taste as the wife passed them to our eldest daughter......I should have eaten them and kept my mouth quiet. They were small but not cherry size.

Chad: I've used that cooking technique years ago when I worked in some of the better restaurants. I don't use it at home though as I just have way too small of a kitchen and nothing larger than an 8qt pot. No room for anything larger.

PRR: I'm with Willie. 1/2 inch or so ply in all you need. I wouldn't use just the 2" foam. I n my case I'd find a need to lean on it and end up putting an hand\arm through it.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone. Partly cloudy and 73° here in North Central Texas. The unofficial rainfall total for yesterday was 2.3", all of which fell in one downburst lasting 30 minutes as I posted yesterday. By 10:00, all of the water in the front yard had either soaked in or run off. Thunderstorms are in the forecast again for today, but nothing in this area on the radar currently. Humidity is 99%, so it is sticky with no wind out there.
I have an early day planned today. Doctor appointment at 10:15 with the dermatologist, but leaving the house around 7:30 to drive to North Dallas to return the granddog and pick up my wife prior to the appointment. It's basically just a follow up to the skin cell removal done about a year ago.
Made another dent in the tomato supply yesterday when I made four more quarts of spaghetti sauce. Then later in the day, I picked more than I had used earlier! It took longer than normal to make the sauce since I was clearing out some of the smaller tomatoes that I have been passing over. All jars sealed successfully. Then I made a quick run through of the house so it looked like I kept things up while my wife was gone for ten days. The granddog has been leaving a lot of hair on the floor. I'll set up the Roomba vacuum to run when I leave.

Light breakfast this morning Flo, just a single sausage, egg and cheese biscuit should do it.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's posts; Patrick, Jerome, Dave, Chad, Phil, Curt, Sherrel, Tom.

I didn't get as much time in the train shed yesterday as I thought I would get due to those pesky household chores. I did manage to re-glue several of the fence sections back together, this time with CA cement since the normal liquid plastic cement didn't seem to work. I also added roof details to the salon, but the picture is not too good.
07-07-20 001.JPG

Can't wait to get my good camera back. At least I am more familiar with its intricacies. Meanwhile in the house while waiting for the pressure canner to do its magic, I printed a couple more background buildings on heavy paper to use along the backdrop.
07-07-20 004.JPG

As usual, I printed them slightly under scale for forced perspective. A shot of dull coat today will be next, as they will fade even under fluorescent lighting if I don't.

Curt - I always drill my own holes for the Atlas fences, and never use the supplied bases. But they are about the right size for HO scale tires.
07-07-20 002.JPG

Here is a situation where I could use them for just that. Not the one on the left though.
07-07-20 003.JPG

Speaking of unused parts, do you (or anyone else) know what that part on the left is for? There's a bunch of them in each fence kit that comes with no instructions, or with pictures showing their use.
Chet - I have a bagger attachment for the mower, however it clogs with freshly cut clippings. If I let them stand for a day, the dry ones pick up much easier and I don't have to stop and empty it as often. Looks like these are going to be around until Wednesday at the earliest now that they have gotten wet.
Good luck with the moles.
Patrick - First picked tomatoes never ever get out of our house. Wife gets them first. I never really liked tomatoes when growing up since all I was exposed to were store bought ones. My wife's father always grew a garden and she convinced me to plant some tomatoes in a garden that I was preparing back in the early 70's. After tasting a home grown one, I finally knew what I was missing all those years.

Everybody have a great day. Gotta go now and load up the car.

was there in 30 minutes and then we waited another 3 hours before they finally let her go. "Oh and do you mind walking yourself to the parking lot? It will be another hour before we can get someone to wheel you out." I just love for profit hospitals......but this one has a children's hospital so it has to be good right? <sarcasm>

Patrick: Not for nothing, I used a so-called "Non-Profit", and I was discharged at 11:30 AM. By the time they got me out to the curb, it was 4:30PM, with the wife waiting out in the parking lot, in the car...they wouldn't let her in due to Covid restrictions....While waiting in the room, cooling my heels, I got yelled at for attempting to go to the men's room without assistance....yet, I dressed into street clothes without any assistance, once discharged I was on my own. It's hospitals in general.....they are all the same.

I always drill my own holes for the Atlas fences, and never use the supplied bases. But they are about the right size for HO scale tires.

Willie: Great idea. I have a couple of packs originally intended as inter track fencing. Now, I get tires as a bonus.

Curt: ½" ply is what I have been using recently.

Chad: I have used 2" foam on the first group of modules, but I'm not really pleased with the results I had with the 2" foam.

After yesterday's busy day...today I'm feeling my age. Not only does every muscle ache, but I'm sluggish. better days are coming. Today, I am considering setting up an area to work on some structures. I'm a bit behind with my monthly business, so that's first today. I also have to squeeze in my homework exercises. :rolleyes:

R&N in Pittston PA 6-21-20.jpg

Reading and Northern freight in Pittston, PA on 6-21-20. (Photographer unknown).

Hey all, I'm having a bit of a old timers moment about plywood. Can someone suggest a thickness and quality or grade? I think I used 5/8 inch before but I can't remember.
Curt, on the advice of an incredibly wise and experienced model railroader I use 3/8 BC plywood. I love it!

I should add I built my small permanent layout on my enclosed front porch in November of 2018. My porch is not airconditioned or heated and the 3/8 BC plywood still looks perfectly flat even with the often-high Baltimore humidity. I have even stepped on it with one foot to steady myself on the ladder to hang Christmas lights, I weigh 297lbs.

Last edited:
Good morning. Hot in the 90’s today, high humidity but an occasional breeze on the deck right now. I thought about cutting the lawn but the weather warnings and my wife say nope. Not a cloud in the sky but I hope we don’t pay with severe T-storms that will be “pop up” storms.

The start of a nice discussion on glues by Jazzdad. Take a look.

Everyone, the pictures shown here are as good or better then any other forum group I belong to. I love pictures of modeling.

Tomatoes, we have grape tomatoes growing from those stuffed upside down hanging baskets. I prefer cherry but Terry loves the thicker skin of the grape. She does grow out on the property in greenhouses Hydroponic tomatoes for local farmers that used to sell at Farmers markets. But since the pandemic they have been going to 2 food banks.

Plywood! I used 1/2” sanded both sides on my shelf layout but cut down for use as framing only. 2” x 3” x 8’ and then I cut to fit the shelf 16” on center and 2” pink foam glued on top. I have sat on it as it cantilevered off the wall, very strong. If there is a next layout, I want to laminate 2 pieces of the 2” together as Ken Patterson does for his What’s Neat programs. Enjoy your day, stay safe stay cool.

TomO

I am guilty like many modelers of too many projects at once. One of the current ones is to paint the truck and rail Shipping Building at the Paper Mill. I especially need to hide the terrible glue job on the right front corner.
8D2DF617-8740-4A13-A20E-43B777B4C7A7.jpeg

Happy that baseball will make its appearance this season after all. The strike year killed off my life long love of Baseball. I used to put the transistor radio under my pillow for the White Sox night games as a kid. The passion never came back but I loved the high lites on SportsCenter of the Sousa/Maguire Home run battle. I don’t think I have watched 9 innings except for the White Sox run to World Series victors and then Cub run to the World Series since A-Rod and his suspension battle. If he owns the Mets in the future, there is no justice in this world.

TomO

need to hide the terrible glue job on the right front corner.

Seems that that particular bleedout occurrs no matter how carefully the joint is glued. I wish I could get the thinned mortar stain to run as freely.

Happy that baseball will make its appearance this seaTo put this in perspectiveson after all. The strike year killed off my life long love of Baseball. I used to put the transistor radio under my pillow for the White Sox night games as a kid. The passion never came back but I loved the high lites on SportsCenter of the Sousa/Maguire Home run battle. I don’t think I have watched 9 innings except for the White Sox run to World Series victors and then Cub run to the World Series since A-Rod and his suspension battle. If he owns the Mets in the future, there is no justice in this world.

TomO

To put this in perspective, the Hockey, basketball and baseball seasons were abruptly ended because of the Corona Virus, and that performers were coming down with the virus. Now each sport is rushing to cobble together some sort of season, without fans present, even though the same virus is still present, still contagious, and still infecting the performers, and still infecting people. Sports are really only important to the stakeholders, ie; the owners/investors, the performers, and the TV networks that pull the strings. otherwise, they are an allure to persuade me to part with some of my hard earned money to further enrich the stake holders. If I watch a game this summer, it will be from sheer boredom. I have found other things to amuse myself.

You and I are of the same opinion. I don't really pay attention to what's going on with any of the major league sports (Baseball, hockey, football, basketball, etc.). I find I really don't miss them.

I do follow the NHL ever since as a kid Bobby Hull and 5 other BlackHawks signed a Hull stick in 1963, I was 11. As a former season ticket holder in the NFL until 2017 the NFL holds little interest.
TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back