Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 53 degrees with an expected high near 80.

Dave - Like that photo. Nice.

Curt - Waiting to see that big gun loaded on a flat car.

Karl - Interesting photo. Right spot at the right time.

Willie - The photos are great as usual. Now I am thinking about moving my fence out of the procrastination bin.

keN - Sweet photo. Like the WM power.

Greg
- You can probably get a tail light lens from one of the on line auto parts sites and save yourself a lot of $$$. For my Buick, the dealership wanted $237 and I found one on line for $97. Just replaced my power window regulator for $38. The dealership wanted $75. So far as the club photos go, I just point and shoot.

I guess I will try to accomplish something today. It's time to mow the lawn again.

Here's my photo for today.

20180414_161521.jpg

Later

Good morning gang,
Vacation in full swing, family activities and such, no trains. Hot each day with scattered T storms (umm, it's July, duh!)
Willie, the fence is awesome, cant wait to see it installed.
Young Ryan took this pic yesterday of my GF and me, and an interloper. Photo bombed, thank goodness not physically bombed!
View attachment 37744
Too funny no to share!
Which one is you?

Morning all,

Coffee this morning Flo...Thanks!

Watching the grandson last night while his parents were working and taking his little sister to dance class. I think he's about worn out one of the Thomas engines out... Of course it something he doesn't need to wait for grandpa to put the bridge in place, so he's good to go.

Going back to Thomas he wants to model steam because diesels are naughty...lol

Mostly sunny today with a chance of rain late to overnight.. High in the low 90's.

Good Morning Everyone....rain shower this morning and now very nice. Have to get going and assemble a new grill to replace our aging Weber.

Set a date for the truck body repairs and the owner wants to do some buffing and get our approval to make sure that the results are what we expected. I don't like any body damage to any of our vehicles, but this is minor and I may have to learn to live with it.

After the grill has been assembled its down to the train room and I make put off my trip to the LHS until Thursday or tomorrow.

During the weekend we visited some land we own to inspect for storm damage which was minor, but caught the neighbor using our woods as dump for his broken branches. I think this practice has ended. Next time a call to the Sheriff and he faces a $1,300 fine for trespassing and perhaps fines more for the illegal dumping. I hate to be this way, but the woods are native, virgin and completely natural and his piles of small logs and branches is wrong.

Down to the trains later this afternoon. I just want to run a train or two and change out locomotives that are pulling the trains.

Willie/Chet: I have several used boxes of the fencing. I seen were the fencing has random boards broken off or reduced in height and the assembled treated with "Weather IT" to make the wood look weathered followed by a light, dry brushing of red paint or any color for that matter for outstanding results.

I used the same fencing on my New River Mine structure and used Black Pastel Powder to weather the wood.

Espree: Espree's work with brass streamers is sparking my interest in getting out my Bachmann, Three Truck Shay with sound and then installing sound in my 0-8-0 USRA Switcher.

Short and sweet....have fun!

Greg

###################

New River Mine - Two.jpg

The New River Mine structure with the wooden fence under the coal hopper. The black weathering really doesn't show up in the photo. That's Chet climbing the side of the hopper to get a better advantage point for a photo.-Greg

Afternoon All,

Started out with chores then driving my wife around to grocery stores for the 4th. I didn't do anything in the train room today. I slept very poorly last night and I feel like only half my brain is operating. Hopefully I'll sleep tonight.

Greg- Nice 1:1 scene and mine.

Dave- Interesting shot with the lumberjacks.

Ken- Sounds like it was a fun time.

Willie- I like the signage for the bar.

Karl- Nice picture of the three of you:D.

Chet- Very nice scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hi gang, it's 81*F and calm with T-storms closing in from the West...so I gotta make this quick!

Got my mower back from the repair shop today. 5-day turnaround - sure beats the 4 weeks interval that is normal for our regional HW store!

I posted the remainder of the pics I shot on Sunday in a separate thread, titled "Western Maryland in the 1970's" - have a look if you like the WM!

Hope everybody's doing ok. Oooh - the sky sure got dark fast! I better sign off now since my connection isn't wireless...

Good Afternoon gentlemen
Thought I would report in on the progress I have made. Almost none since I got drafted back into the part time driving gig. In the trainroom yesterday I saw my first issue of having "welded" track. More likely lack of tracklaying experience. Amazing what 30* change does. Track was laid last winter at average of 60* and it recently made it up to 87* Just nails on this 36" section with insulators on one end. Easy fix and now running the Daylight around with my grandson at the throttle.
I am still in awe of everyone's layouts and the fine modeling I see here.
IMG_4110.JPG
IMG_4111.JPG

CHET
I, er, my wife has a 2018 Forester and I despise the CVT transmission and everything fore and aft of it. But its hers......

Dave in PV

Good evening. It's still 87 as I type.
Back is still miserable. I had an idea on how to get my muscle and inflammation medicine refilled without having to pay the $100 office visit, but the doctor squashed that idea.

Morning all,

Coffee and one of those huge cinnamon rolls for me this morning.

Hopefully get some train time over the holiday. I only have the 4th as the wife had to work, and at the last minute they decided to close. So she's off and I'm stuck with my 4 hour day on Friday. It should be pretty quiet though as most are off.

Don't know how I'm the first on on this morning.

Partly cloudy and 75 currently with a high of 93 expected along with humidity you can wear. Definitely a double the deodorant day!

Good morning everyone. I need the whole pot o' coffee this morning, please, Flo. 71 and sunny out there, heading for upper 80's.

Greg - Really nice photo of the mine structure. The fence looks good there. Hope Chet doesn't slip!!
Dave in PV - I like those examples of good modeling - - that one on the right will make for a bumpy commute!
Terry - You're flirting with triple digits this early in the summer!!

Nothing to report from the train room. Trying to flatten a couple of slightly warped walls on the Benson 5 and Dine structure I'm building. Making progress on that, and maybe this long weekend will give me time to get that structure done and on the layout.

An early Happy Fourth of July to everyone. I probably won't be on the forum tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 72° with partly cloudy skies this fine morning. We have the hot & dry repetitive forecast going for us from now until October. We'll start bumping at 100° beginning Monday, a normal summer here. Only managed 91° yesterday and we're still able to turn the A/C off at night and sleep with the windows open. That won't last much longer. Good Morning Francine, I'll have a couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits to start the day.
As expected, I spent a lot of time mowing yesterday after a week without the mower. Had to go slower since the grass was so high and I had to intersperse mowing with periodic trips into the pool. I might be 1/3 through the yard right now but I won't get a lot done today. Making a trip to town to return the faulty switch for the ceiling fan; despite spending two hours working through every wiring combination and always getting four positions high with no off, low or medium; I looked it up on the Internet. Found a site that said that the Westinghouse switches at HD were no good I should get a different brand at Lowes. Wish that I knew that in advance!:mad: While at Lowes, I will finally buy the new toilet for our long postponed bathroom remodel, the last thing needed for completion. The dumpster is just waiting for the old one.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the various pictures in yesterday's post; Jerome, Karl, Sherrel, Phil, Garry, Chet, Patrick, Curt, Ken.

Out in the train shed, I made progress with the right end of the new scenery project. Added the driveway, porches and a walk.
Looks like I got all of the fencepost holes in the right place.
07-03-19 001.JPG

Further progress, some ground foam with toothpick stubs keeping the holes clear.
07-03-19 002.JPG

Still contemplating the yard area. Besides trees, I am going to scratchbuild a doghouse and add a concrete slab with some chairs/people. Then I move to the left where I have a mobile home tentatively positioned. I'll be making a barbed wire fence for that property.

Dave - The logger scene looks quite nice. Where's the bears?
Sherrel - Blue car was washed after picture was taken. Gas tax - I wasn't including local or federal taxes in that.
Greg - In this particular situation I am going for the well-maintained fence. I have used it elsewhere with missing/broken boards and graffiti.
Ken - Like the WM or not, those pictures in that thread are fabulous. Even though I am not familiar with the area, it looks like his attention to detail is superb.
Dave in PV - Nice progress.

That's it for now. Everyone have a great day and an advanced Happy Fourth of July for those who won't be in tomorrow. Hmmmh! Is it still politically correct to celebrate July 4? Let's ask Colin K.

Good morning, 71 headed for 88. Finished paving at the Crystal Airport yesterday, giving me a 4 day weekend!

Intermittent thunder forecasted, we are wanting to go up to the land Friday through Saturday but not if it is going to be a washout. With the rain, I should get more done on the Groningen Depot.

Terry-- too bad the strategy didn't work out with the meds.

Willie-- the fence is GREAT! Thanks for sharing it. (The bears didn't make it into todays photo either.)

Chet-- the trailer scene is beautiful! great lighting

Ken-- those were some superb layout shots!

Johnny-- I hope you get the warped walls figured out

Dave in PV-- really something what that wood will do to your track, given a little humidity and drying

Greg-- really nice mine scene

Curt-- hope you sleep better. My wife rarely sleeps well, however she did last night.

Patrick-- too bad you don't get the long weekend

THANKS for the comments on the logging scene. Here is the logs being skidded. Again, the trains are in the background.

skidding logs.jpg

more later, Dave

Good morning. The weather has changed up here. We got up to 80 yesterday afternoon but today the high is expected to be in the mid 60's.

I got the lawn mowed without any problems and then Murphy paid a visit. I hooked up the lawn sweeper to pick up grass clippings and the tractor wouldn't start. Went inside to get my multimeter and the batteries were dead. Put batteries in and went out to check the voltages and one of the probed fell off. Went inside and soldered it back on and by then, menacing clouds had moved in. Narrowed the problem down to a bad solenoid when there was a flash of lightning and the crack and boom at the same time. Time to get the heck inside. I'll head over to the parts store and pick up a new solenoid today.

Willie - That fence looks really good. Will have to get to work on mine soon.

Dave - That is a great photo. Well done.

Greg - Good looking mine.

Dave in PV - Can't believe that there was that much expansion of the track, but it is an easy fix. Glad to see that you don't like the CVT transmission either. My son has an older Forrester and he loves it. Where he lives in town, they rarely plow the side streets and that little Subaru has no problems in the snow. I have been looking for a used Subaru with either a conventional automatic transmission of=r a manual, but they are scarce.

Tomorrow will be a long day at the club running from noon until 6 PM. The museum wants us to have trains running as part of their 4th of July shop. That have an art show going on in the main terminal and being that we pay no rent or utilities, we will run trains.

Here's my photo for today. Old 99 is moving iced reefers from icing dock to the packing plant to get loaded.

thumbnail_20190402_143309.jpg

Later

Morning to patrons of Running Bear's Coffee Shop (prior manager - Jeffrey). I'll have a Bear Claw this morning since someone mentioned bears this morning?
Supposed to only reach 80* today, 90* is normal, was 83* last year, and a record 99* in 2007. We have a little fog this morning from the ocean influence, but that will succumb to clear over the next couple hours.

DAVE in PV - did the track grow, or did the wood shrink? That's some serious difference there - like Johnny said: a bumpy ride for sure!
TERRY - Sure hope you are feeling better? Any plans for the holiday, or are you able to get off the floor without pain?
Willie: Fence turned out very nice. The local HOA may not like the barbwire though?
DAVE: The oxen team skidding the log is a nice touch -- have not seen that done before.
Patrick: Bummer on the working - your comment about the extra protection from the humidity made me laugh out loud.
Being in a junior position for a great deal of my career, I always seemed to draw all holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, Thanksgiving, and Christmases; After so many years, it just did not seem to matter anymore.
CHET - That photo you just posted goes to the top of my list!

Excuse me now - have to start making prep for the MIL's 98th tomorrow!

Morning to patrons of Running Bear's Coffee Shop (prior manager - Jeffrey). I'll have a Bear Claw this morning since someone mentioned bears this morning?
Supposed to only reach 80* today, 90* is normal, was 83* last year, and a record 99* in 2007. We have a little fog this morning from the ocean influence, but that will succumb to clear over the next couple hours.

DAVE in PV - did the track grow, or did the wood shrink? That's some serious difference there - like Johnny said: a bumpy ride for sure!
TERRY - Sure hope you are feeling better? Any plans for the holiday, or are you able to get off the floor without pain?
Willie: Fence turned out very nice. The local HOA may not like the barbwire though?
DAVE: The oxen team skidding the log is a nice touch -- have not seen that done before.
Patrick: Bummer on the working - your comment about the extra protection from the humidity made me laugh out loud.
Being in a junior position for a great deal of my career, I always seemed to draw all holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, Thanksgiving, and Christmases; After so many years, it just did not seem to matter anymore.
CHET - That photo you just posted goes to the top of my list!

Excuse me now - have to start making prep for the MIL's 98th tomorrow!
SHERREL In this case I'm sure it was the track growing. This section was next to the window and I didn't leave a gap in the rail. Now I know better.
Dave in PV

Good Morning Everyone....sunny and warm but had some heavy storms yesterday afternoon and two inches of rain. My grill assembly project was a bit more than I thought it would be and turned out to be a three hour project since the manufacture recommended that two people tackle the job. Not to say that it was missing a spring that I need to get at the hardware store.

Today, lots of pruning in the rear yard and a trip to the landfill.

Chet: Great picture of the stock yards.

Dave:
Usually the wood expansion and not the track causes the problems with track. Real rail expands due to the extreme heat generated by the sunlight on the rail or the rail contracts contracts due to cold weather.

I used to work most of the Holidays at the office and if I wasn't physically in the office I was on call 24/7. Somebody had to be the Manager on Duty on most Holidays for the company and I volunteered, but not one person said thanks for me working their Holidays. If I worked a Holiday I took the following Friday or Monday off for a three day weekend. I was the senior employee and I could pick and choose my scheludes and vacations.

Being paged to get out into the yard.

Have a safe Fourth of July.

Greg

################################

Howdy. Awake for the second time today. Went to bed at 9 last night and was up at2:45.. Stayed up , had breakfast around 4. Watched the news and the temp was already 80. Now at 10:30 it's 90*, muggy with t/s later. Did I say it's summer ?
I stay out of the trainroom [garage] as it's an oven.
Wish all a pleasant day.
Phil

PORK FACT #11 "PEOPLE WHO EAT BACON ARE LESS LIKELY TO BLOW THEMSELVES UP'

Don't really mind working the 5th. While I'm not junior in my position, I am on call for emergency services anyway. Just a fact for some of us in IT. I just keep thinking what do I do in 8 1/2 years when I'll be forced to retire...man about 19 months until I hit the next big number.....

Patrick: Lessons I have learned about retirement....
Every day is a holiday.
You don't get as much accomplished as you once did.
It takes twice as long to do anything.
You never have the right tools with you.
I have learned that instructions are printed for me to read.
There are never enough parts ...
There are too many parts ...
You cannot remember why you started this project.
You wish that you had not started it.
Your body hurts in places you did not realize you had.
AND ...... I don't remember why I started this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back