Running Bear's July 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afternoon All,

Happy Canada Day.

I Started today vacuuming the pool and cleaning the pool filter, then some inside chores. My missing parts came in from Laser Kit (AMB) today. The parts represent the canvas used on the gun tube for shipping. For the model they are thin tissue paper that you have to paint then apply. I used Model Master Aged Concrete. The black brace will be used for the bracing wire that runs down both sides of the barrel.

Terry- I hope your back feels better soon.

Mike- I read that IL has raised their gas tax by 19 cents a gallon.

Willie- Nice layout shot. The fencing is a good product.

Dave- Nice scene. I like the trim on the left building.

Sherrel- Nice Frisco shots. Ready to move yet?

Chet- Nice scene.

20190701_132401-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a nice evening.

Good Afternoon Everyone..................just home from the cabin.

Backed in the cabin's drive way to pickup the Mrs. I hit a post mounted bird feeder and damaged the rear driver's side of my Chevy pick up truck. Minor paint damage at the most for inches long and maybe six of them and a few minor long scratches on the taillight lens which I can live with. A trip to our local Body Shop for an estimate and returned home with a estimate for slightly under $1,300.00. Crazy.

Most of the scratches I can buff out. They want to repaint the entire side panel, replace the tail light lens ($205 plus labor), new 4x4 sticker, paint to match fuel filler door, remove the bumper ??? and other BS. Next stop another body shop or some touch paint from the dealer.

No model trains to report since this expense money will come from somewhere.

Later.....

Greg....:(

Last edited:
consider yourself lucky. Our governor wanted to raise ours $ .20 on top of already the third highest taxed state in the union. Luckily it didn't float. They tear down already good stuff to make it "even better" and ignore tire eating potholes on everything else.
Not my governor. Our governor wants to raise the gas tax here in WI, but the budget proposal was voted down by the Assembly.

I'm back again after a trip to another Body Shop. Feeling better now.

I went to a custom Body Shop that specializes in doing custom frame up restorations and repair work to custom built vehicles. The parking lot had some impressive vehicles that anyone would be proud to own. The owner of the facility looked at my damage and agreed that the minor scratches would buff out and he did just that on the spot and the minor problems were gone. The deeper scratches could be buff and 50-75% of the scratches would disappear, but the larger chips near the lens would need to be touched up. He could buff out all the damage to the tail light lens. Price would be approximately $200. No charge for the initial buffing this afternoon. A replacement lens alone is $205 plus labor.

A complete repair by this custom shop would be approximately $500 - $600.00 and be guaranteed to look new.

I'm going the least expensive route first and then see what it looks like and do the complete work if necessary. The damage is in a spot most wouldn't notice once the larger chips are repaired and then add some road grime and instant repairs.

Tomorrow in the morning I'll make the appointment since he needs the truck for four hours.

The owner was true professional.

MikeinHubCity is correct about our new governor wanting to raise gas taxes. He was Superintendent of the Wisconsin schools and I can't think of one item he accomplished. Milwaukee has one of the lowest graduations rates and he wants to pour more public money into a system that has failed.

Chet: How do you hold your camera so steady when you do a layout overview or club video???

Wednesday, I plan a trip to a LHS for some cheap rolling stock to practice my weathering on and maybe find a locomotive shell or two to practice on as well. I'm learning about using oils and water based paints in combination together. Still can't get the shell off of two Atlas RS-3 even after find the shell latching tabs. I'll take my time and sooner than later I have the shells off...I hope the locomotives have the older style motor/light board and I can use my Atlas 342 decoders.

I missed model railroading while I was at the cabin and plan on returning to the cabin by week's end. Wednesday a group of locals I know meet at 4:00 at a local Pub and we sat on the deck next to the river listening to the current over the rocks on a mid-70's night, no wind or humidity and enjoyed a cocktail and some conversation. We had at least 8.5 inches of rain in June!

My spelling correction software isn't working properly for some reason, so excuse the typos.

Thats all for now.

Greg

#################################

1548 Actual Loco.jpg

I have a model of this locomotive with DCC and Sound and I believe it's an Athearn model. -Greg

Last edited:
Good afternoon. It's sunny and 94, with humidity to match.
Back is still giving me fits. I did manage nearly 5 hours' sleep last night, better than the previous night, where I may have gotten 2 hours.

consider yourself lucky. Our governor wanted to raise ours $ .20 on top of already the third highest taxed state in the union. Luckily it didn't float. They tear down already good stuff to make it "even better" and ignore tire eating potholes on everything else.
Meh. Our governor wants to raise it by $0.45 to pay for road repairs. However, this may just be a scare tactic to get some movement out of the Republican legislature.

MOH has morning chores already laid out for me. I'll be hitting the sack shortly.
It's 84* , down from 94* in p.m..
Wish all a goodnight and pleasant dreams.
Phil

For our golfers- MAY THE COURSE BE WITH YOU .

Hi gang, 76*F clear and calm in my part of the Sanctuary Free State.

Had an excellent Sunday. First, I went with a few friends to visit Dave Hughes' 1972-era Western Maryland layout, and to say is was gorgeous is an understatement. He had perfectly replicated scenes of recognizable landmarks all along the WM between Baltimore and Hagerstown, MD. One level depicts the East Sub between Emory Grove and Hagerstown, which eventually became the Maryland Midland; the upper deck is the Hanover Sub between the same two points but northward thru Gettysburg, PA. [Karl I wish you coulda been there, a lot of these places were your old stompin' grounds!] Here is one of the photos I got of the Port Covington yard, I'll post the rest of them in a separate thread tomorrow:

10_PortCovingtonCloseUp.jpg

When I got home, I enjoyed a 20-minute phone call with Phil, then feasted on Chinese carry-out cuisine as we had yet another going-away dinner for my son who left for PA school this morning.

Terry - bummer about your back, hope it gets resolved soon...:(

Willie - my BP ain't no respecter of [low] weight! I've been at a close-to-normal BMI for a few years, and with the meds and jogging on the treadmill three days a week I just barely keep it at ~135/80. Guess it's just in my DNA...

Catch y'all later!

Good morning all, we have 69 and just drying up some of the puddles. Rained hard and a lot last night.

however, I went to bed at 9 pm, up at 4:30 today for a day of blacktopping. I hope they take the 5th off, although if it rains i would just as soon be at work.

I got some painting done on my Groningen depot last night. Supposed to be bottle green and indian red. I am going for a match of what those colors would look like after being exposed to weather for a few years.

Went through some old photos again, found this shot of the guys bucking logs and another one cutting off the branches (swamping, they called it):

bucking logs.jpg

There are a couple train cars in the background, otherwise all scenery

more later, Dave

Good morning everyone. 70 and sunny. And the coffee's ready!! Does it get any better than this?

Nothing to report from the train room. For some reason my ankle was hurting really bad yesterday afternoon - one of those "out of nowhere" things - so that made it hard to go up and down the stairs to the basement. So I lazed around all evening. Perfect this morning - go figure!! I did get a small order from MBKlein yesterday, just some vehicles and people - can never have too many of those on the layout!!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 73° and clear, headed for 93°. Yesterday's predicted rain didn't materialize and I have to irrigate the garden this morning. Two weeks ago, I was bemoaning the excessive rain, now I want it. Bacon and eggs over easy with extra bacon this morning Flo.
The tractor/mower repairman made it out yesterday, spent just at two hours replacing the hydro-static drive belt and an accompanying pulley that actually caused the problem with the belt. I provided a second set of hands thus saving at least another hour of labor; it was an effort for him to get up and down. Total cost for labor, pulley and mileage to my location was $216. Quite unexpectedly low! Guess what I will be doing today?

Thanks for yesterday's likes and comments regarding the fence and previous pictures of the flat cars; Jerome, Dave, Sherrel, Johnny, Patrick, Chet, Curt, Ken.

Another day yesterday of minimal train shed time. Between the mower repairman, household chores and quality time in the pool, I got less than an hour but at least I got some time. Just continued on the Insta-Fence a bit. I read where some of you have used it, but here's a couple of progress shots for those that haven't used it.
Gluing the stringers on.
07-01-19 028.JPG

Removing the sprue.
07-01-19 030.JPG

Adding the posts. I make most posts 6' tall, but since the supplied stripwood is a scale 38', I get two 7' posts that I use on each end for added stability.
07-01-19 029.JPG

In this case I am spacing the posts at a scale 9' which looks OK even though a tad longer than prototype. I also cut off a scale 2' on the actual fence since I only actually need each section at 36' to fit my needs. Fence looks good as is, but I will most likely do some dry-brush or powdered weathering to differentiate it from some that I used nearby.

Terry - Hoping that your back recovers soon. I have no recommendations for quick cure, each situation is different and I ain't no doctor. I will say though, that I am lucky. I can take a single generic Advil tablet and it is good for 24 hours.
Dave - Nice work on the company houses. Mine are being used singly, another is elsewhere on the layout and being used as a liquor store.
05-20-18 023.JPG

The errant wire sticking out is for interior lighting that wasn't hooked up at the time this picture was taken.
06-18-15 187.JPG

Haven't built the third one yet.
Phil - Congratulations on the BP.
Sherrel - Darn, I wish that I could move out there and share my kids inheritance with your governor, yeah!:eek: At 20¢/gallon, Texas is tied for fourth lowest in the country. California just took over the top spot from PA at what I believe is now 61¢. What are they going to do with the extra money? Build a high speed rail line from Temecula to Escondido???:D
Johnny - Depending on the thickness of the plastic and the extent of warpage, immersion in very hot water, using a heat gun or blow dryer, using the oven after you turn it off (hangover heat). Once softened by whatever method, use heavy books, bricks or canned goods to flatten.
Patrick - That's why all of the best BBQ joints smell so good overnight!
Ken - The weight loss would only partially offset my high BP. It's heredity in my family.

Everyone have a great day.

Last edited:
Good morning gang,
Vacation in full swing, family activities and such, no trains. Hot each day with scattered T storms (umm, it's July, duh!)
Willie, the fence is awesome, cant wait to see it installed.
Young Ryan took this pic yesterday of my GF and me, and an interloper. Photo bombed, thank goodness not physically bombed!
13570.jpeg

Too funny no to share!

Howdy .... Like I said, this is a busy week here.... However, found a little time now to visit with you Coffee Shop Patrons.

Willie ... The Bar Mills fencing appears to be a good product. ... The company house looks good as a little liquor store.

Sherrel .... That is a lot of weathering on the Frisco units. (My auto correct was trying to type "Fiasco" for me. LOL ) ... How does the engineer see through that windshield on the Also FA2?

Chet .... That's a great downtown night scene.

Dave LASM .... I like the scene of the loggers working.

Karl .... Very nice photo of you and "GF". ... Funny about the bird.

Have a nice day, everybody.

Back from grocery run. Store was almost empty, stockers all around to get info on WTH eck they moved things to. Damn, learn where items are and they rearrange the whole darn store.
Anyway, was 80* at 7 a.m. and now 88* at 10 . Expect to hit 94 later and PROBABLY t/s. Welcome to mid FLA. H&H Heat and Humidity.
Enjoy the day,
Phil

A DOG accepts you as the boss- a CAT wants to see your resume.

Nice photo there, KARL & Friend! Glad the bird missed you - probably was looking at those trees on your snazzy shirt!

It's supposed to be 86* today with not a cloud in sight; normal is 90*, last year 87* and record 98* in 2007.
Oh let's see - Francine - how about coffee and pancakes with sausage this morning!

Willie: You came out good on the repair .. I figure 4-5 hours of time (including driving) was spent plus parts - cheap!
Your fence looks good and so do the buildings - first class work. That blue car at the spirits store could use a wash job!
I only wish the gas tax was what you stated - it's closer to 73.82 cents depending on local taxes. and I just noticed that it has a COLA increase built into it.

Great pictures from the "CLUB" there CHET - also of your layout!

DAVE: The logging scene is great .. the stumps really add to it.

Need to get moving -- I want to watch the USA soccer team this morning - even though soccer is just barely above golf on my boring list. Speaking of sports - Where is Louis and JOE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back