Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!
Hobbs, Indiana depot (year unknown). LE&W/NKP

HOBBS DEPOT_OLD NKP.jpg

Good morning all. A cold, wet day. A ray of sunshine is the grandchildren are visiting and staying the night. The beds are already made to sleep in. Just the camp beds to erect. (Easy to do) The children can choose where they sleep. Who will have a proper bed, who chooses a camp bed?

Good Morning All. Overcast and 32°, might hit 50° later today. Light rain is still in the forecast for around sundown this evening. Long range forecast is for fair weather for the next ten days with a chance of rain on Friday and Monday. Next freeze may be next week on Wednesday. Yesterday didn't get as warm as predicted, topping out at 45°, but there was no wind so it was at least pleasant despite no sun.

Daughter and SIL came up for the granddog yesterday and we had a pleasant visit. SIL is somewhat bummed out as he is a Philadelphia Eagles fan from his youth. His family is from Jersey about 10 miles from Philly. That's where he and family were last week. I think that his team has self-destructed during December and allowed Dallas to advance ahead of them. My daughter texted my wife Sunday and told her that even though they got home from the airport in time for the 4th quarter, he chose to go to Costco instead of watching the end of the game.

No time out in the train shed yesterday since we had visitors; resulting in no progress on any projects.
How about another series of pictures from the archives. Today we will look at a very short run with a pair of CF7's switching just one covered hopper at the grain mill in Charlottesville. We start with the train approaching town.
IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2448.JPG

The target loaded hopper.
IMG_2450.JPG

After dropping the caboose on the main, the crew comes back and pulls the load using the empty as a handle.
IMG_2452.JPG

The full hopper is dropped off on the passing siding, and the empty is put in place.
IMG_2453.JPG

The crew then retrieves the caboose and travels down the main to attach it to the waiting hopper on the siding.
IMG_2455.JPG

The power returns and hooks up to the cars and starts it's return to the yard.
IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2457 (2).JPG

Todd - I think that most orbits around the sun are good if you see the following one begin. Life does throw some curves at us though.
Tom O - I have never been a real resolution type person either. I did make one that I kept though. Back in 1970, I gave up tobacco cold turkey and never looked back. Probably a good thing. Good luck with relaxing more. This year I am going to try to eat less and lose a few more pounds, but it is not a resolution.
Hughie -
Willie - question. I received a Salena's Tavern for Christmas. I have other kits open and need to finish before starting Salena's. The question is, can the stairway be placed on either side of the building.
I examined my Saulenas Tavern and no, the stairs cannot go on the other side. That is unless one does major kitbashing to accomplish it. The walls are not interchangeable. It could be done if you cut a new door opening on the other side and blanked out the existing one. A window cannot be substituted easily as they are more narrow than the door opening, so that would require a build up on the side as well as the bottom of the opening.

That's it for now, everyone have a wonderful day.

Top of the morning all!

A cool 24 degrees here this morning with a heavy frost last night going up to 36 degrees later. Still above average for this time of the year,

All the Christmas decorations were taken down yesterday. I still have the outside decorations to get to the basement. They are all taken down though.

Nothing huge on the agenda today. I have to get to Home depot at some piont for the last needed piece of foam. Can't believe a sheet of 2" foam is up to $60. Glad I only need one more.

Be safe everyone!

Up for an hour so far! Fell asleep during halftime of the Texas/Washington game, got up and went to a real bed at 7:30 - now awake at 3am.
The #2 daughter, hubby, and the two Gsons came back in the door around 6pm exhausted and with two sleepy sons. The 31st was the daughter's birthday and the Spousal Unit had bought them a night at the Gray Wolf Lodge (which I don'r even know where it is) that has a hotel and kids amusement park combined.
Daughter texted me yesterday and told me that the two of them were running through the place like wild indians - and the kids were all free to enjoy everything as they wish - all by themselves; the place is built for kids to enjoy without adult supervision.

I have been sitting each daughters dogs , so I am about dogged out at the moment. I still have little Rosie - poodle mix that was to be Charlie's playmate - and Star, a black lab mix - and Bubbles, a very large 80 pound 4 month old Labradoodle who puts his paws on my shoulders!

ZACH - the Okinawa Marine has been with us for a couple weeks will leave to go back tomorrow night; His wife and sons will stay with us here. Zach will be transferring back to Pendleton come August - he already has the notice in hand.

Excuse me now, I have a bucket full of 'you know what' to get into the trash before they come!
I guess I did not say it, but I hope everyone has a Wonderful New Year!

Good Afternoon,

Started out the day with a walk at 52F with a slight breeze. Today in the train room I finished painting the details then painted a thin white (Tamiya) on the exterior walls and a thinned green (Tamiya) on the trim and doors/windows. I finished up test fitting the walls together. Tomorrow is the family supper, so I don't know if I'll get in here or get to the workbench.

Terry- I'm glad the loco had an easy fix.

Smudge- I hate to admit I laughed at that video. Does that make me a bad person?

Willie- Nice series of train movements for the local.

Karl- That kit has everything in it, except the lawn mower is big for the living accommodations.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning All. Overcast and 32°, might hit 50° later today. Light rain is still in the forecast for around sundown this evening. Long range forecast is for fair weather for the next ten days with a chance of rain on Friday and Monday. Next freeze may be next week on Wednesday. Yesterday didn't get as warm as predicted, topping out at 45°, but there was no wind so it was at least pleasant despite no sun.

Daughter and SIL came up for the granddog yesterday and we had a pleasant visit. SIL is somewhat bummed out as he is a Philadelphia Eagles fan from his youth. His family is from Jersey about 10 miles from Philly. That's where he and family were last week. I think that his team has self-destructed during December and allowed Dallas to advance ahead of them. My daughter texted my wife Sunday and told her that even though they got home from the airport in time for the 4th quarter, he chose to go to Costco instead of watching the end of the game.

No time out in the train shed yesterday since we had visitors; resulting in no progress on any projects.
How about another series of pictures from the archives. Today we will look at a very short run with a pair of CF7's switching just one covered hopper at the grain mill in Charlottesville. We start with the train approaching town.
View attachment 178936
View attachment 178937
The target loaded hopper.
View attachment 178938
After dropping the caboose on the main, the crew comes back and pulls the load using the empty as a handle.
View attachment 178939
The full hopper is dropped off on the passing siding, and the empty is put in place.
View attachment 178941
The crew then retrieves the caboose and travels down the main to attach it to the waiting hopper on the siding.
View attachment 178942
The power returns and hooks up to the cars and starts it's return to the yard.
View attachment 178943
View attachment 178944

Todd - I think that most orbits around the sun are good if you see the following one begin. Life does throw some curves at us though.
Tom O - I have never been a real resolution type person either. I did make one that I kept though. Back in 1970, I gave up tobacco cold turkey and never looked back. Probably a good thing. Good luck with relaxing more. This year I am going to try to eat less and lose a few more pounds, but it is not a resolution.
Hughie -

I examined my Saulenas Tavern and no, the stairs cannot go on the other side. That is unless one does major kitbashing to accomplish it. The walls are not interchangeable. It could be done if you cut a new door opening on the other side and blanked out the existing one. A window cannot be substituted easily as they are more narrow than the door opening, so that would require a build up on the side as well as the bottom of the opening.

That's it for now, everyone have a wonderful day.
Its good to lose weight!

Great to see the scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back