Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom I don't know if this is BS or not, but I been putting extremely well lately. I started leaning how to play the Boogie Woogie plano which takes half your brain to play the base and the other half to play the lead. It's not an easy thing to do but I'm more or less using the same system when putting. Half my brain to judge the break the other half for the distance. It seems to work better then the normal figuring out the break and distance in the same section of my brain. We are only playing 9 now because of the cold weather but I had 11 putts yesterday and 12 the day before which easily won the putt bet we have.
Swal

Willie:

Your mobile homes remind me of the new kit I just started last night.

il_794xN.5294154152_fzr9.jpg

Progress pics to follow as time allows
Where did you get that, Unpainted Arizona.

Tom I don't know if this is BS or not, but I been putting extremely well lately. I started leaning how to play the Boogie Woogie plano which takes half your brain to play the base and the other half to play the lead. It's not an easy thing to do but I'm more or less using the same system when putting. Half my brain to judge the break the other half for the distance. It seems to work better then the normal figuring out the break and distance in the same section of my brain. We are only playing 9 now because of the cold weather but I had 11 putts yesterday and 12 the day before which easily won the putt bet we have.
Swal
Whatever works to help the game. I haven’t hit a ball in 3 weeks. Next week back hitting into the simulator.

Good morning from Wisconsin. Cooler today but dry! 31f degrees now and moving up to 33 this afternoon for the high. Heavy overcast and there are no Sun 🌞 symbols in the WeatherChannel’s app forecast. I may after the swim this morning nap under the SAD lights in the shop.

I asked yesterday morning around 9 if Terry would join me on a trip to Hiawatha Hobbies outside of Milwaukee. She said yes and we were off at 9:36 with her driving. Back home 3.5 hours later after my purchases were completed and breakfast in Delafield, Wi. Good time for us both. A couple times she was able to unwind the car during the 75 mile trip there. I drove home much closer to the speed limit. She can drive and we rarely see a police car. Not me, we counted 5 State police cars we saw just on i94 coming back. The car’s detector went off a few more times while I drove but we never saw the police!

Some exercising this morning before the swim, the SAD light nap and after a light lunch a few hours at the work bench.

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 39° to start our day here. Supposed to be about 10° warmer today, up to 55° with some sunshine. The cloudiness yesterday finally produced very light rain around sundown, there's 0.25" in my rain gauge this morning. Temps in the mid-50's for the next 10 days or so. Pretty much normal weather for this time of year here.

Plans for today changed, as I received a phone call yesterday from the Cardiologist's office saying that everyone in the office was sick and they changed my appointment to late January, so that's out of the way for now. It's just the 18 month follow-up for the stent that was put in, nothing actually wrong. I'll empty the dishwasher instead, along with any other miscellaneous indoor chores that my wife can come up with.

I seem to be having an unusually large number of field rats this year. They build their nests under the raised firewood stacks. I've caught 5 in the week since Christmas so far. I will have to berate the snake and hawk population for not doing a better job. I normally don't have enough of them to bother setting traps, but their high visibility this season prompted me to do so. Speaking of wildlife, I didn't post a few days ago, that when I went to daughter #2's home on Christmas Day, we saw a rather well-fed coyote in the street in their neighborhood. I asked her about it and apparently it's a neighborhood pet, so to speak. Their neighborhood Facebook page has even given it a name, Jimmy Coyote. They think that it mostly spends time in a nearby 8 acre wooded park that also has a lake full of fish in it. They do eat fish and frogs as well as domestic cats and small puppies! Don't bother asking how I know about the latter two!:(

While I did get out to the train shed yesterday, I didn't really do much. Mainly I tidied things up and got (looked for) the tools needed to start the cemetery scene. I removed the grain elevator that resides in front of the location , vacuumed, and measured my dimensions.
05-13-17 001.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

That steel 18" ruler marks the eastern boundary. Included in this project will be finishing the ground cover that's been hidden behind the grain elevator all of these years. The elevator was the first industry that I installed on this layout.
The other project that I will be working on at the same time, is the quarterly layout cleaning. If you have been following me over the years, then you know that each level of my layout is divided into 4 approximately equal sections. I clean one section at a time at the beginning of each calendar quarter, thus each gets a deep cleaning once every two years. This entails removing all rolling stock, inspecting all track, and vacuuming all of the track and surrounding area. I clean the track also, not out of necessity, but as a proactive measure. I follow that with removing the vehicles and structures individually and taking them to the workbench for cleaning or repair; sometimes for additional detailing. The blank areas also get a vacuuming.
This quarter I am back to what I refer to as "the beginning". It's the first part of the layout that I built and this section starts at the large visible staging yard on the east wall and continues for about 60' to the other end of the town of Gainesville which also includes the town of Budville.
This is where I start. I will be moving all of these trains out to the main line and passing sidings for a few days as I start. There's 9 complete trains in this 12 track staging yard.
IMG_1208.JPG

IMG_1209.JPG

It kinda counts as running trains!;) After cleaning this 2'x16' section, then I have to back everything up. It's a good test of rolling stock and trackwork.

Chris - It is interesting that the exploding car video that you posted yesterday was readily available when I first saw it. Later in the day and today as well, there is a notice that it is age-restricted and you must view it on You Tube and not on the forum! I wonder why that is? I watched without the sound, so maybe there is some salty language in it.
Karl - That's a neat looking kit. You're tempting me again by providing the link!:rolleyes:

Everyone have a great day.

Whatever works to help the game. I haven’t hit a ball in 3 weeks. Next week back hitting into the simulator.
Tom there are a few courses around here that stay open all year. Dogwood Knolls where I'm a member is one of them. Completely different game when everything is frozen. I don't know why but the break and distance seem much clearer to me since I started back playing the plano. That was 58 years ago I should have never stopped playing.
Swal

Good evening all. The Christmas decorations are down an put away for another year. The gradchildren have all gone home. Peace and quiet reigns. Too late to see the train room as nearly time to make dinner. A cup of tea first, though.

Two photographs from the archives -

The Overgrown Look.
Knowing a train is there and can hardly see it.

IMG_2876.JPG

Opening the Van Door (Or Closing It). At Hudson Ward Flour Millers. Sovereign Street.

IMG_2879.JPG

Dunno about music, but 'golf' is spelled with four letters for a reason. Applicable music might be from 'The Exorcist:' Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells," wherein he shows his expertise with a number of musical instruments. Perhaps even more than the fourteen weapons allowed by the Rules of Golf.

But when it comes to tragedy, there is this: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gd0985wagandrews

The thing I remember about Angelo Spagnolo is how he was nominated as a WAG in the first place. Apparently his foursome came to the dreaded 17th hole at Sawgrass. Just 100 yards, but onto an island green.

He splashed the first...the second...the tenth...fiftieth...hundredth...

...and by the time they got done he was carding a 655. At which point that became an 'X' because they had used up the entire shag-bag of balls, plus any others they could beg, borrow, steal or buy.

Angelo did a lot better in the final tournament challenge, though.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those currently on hold with their state revenue offices...

It's troy again (still on hold)

Started trying to figure out the grade heights for the upcoming trackplan. This side of the layout will be the mining area, and will also have a future offshoot to the helix (camera right)

I can't decide between 3" or 4" above table grade. Either will save me a turn of the helix to get to the upper level.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 1.34.55 PM.png

As for the phone call, need to get set up in the state's online access system to pay the sales tax I'm required to collect. And I waited too long after getting my letter to do so. I suspect they need to reactivate my setup request.

A lot of trouble so I can fill out a form that says I don't owe anything this past quarter. No in-state sales to qualify. But the form must still be submitted.

Swal
Well done, Swal!

"According to some studies, playing the piano can enhance language skills, memory, attention, and focus. It can also strengthen the connections between the brain hemispheres and the frontal lobe, which are involved in problem-solving, decision making, and social behavior."

I start hitting golf balls again next week for a golf outing in Florida at the end of the month. I play no instruments but have a rather large library of music. Maybe that will help my putting. Many course in Wisconsin did re-open in December but the snow last Thursday I believe closed them again.

I have played golf up North on the frozen lakes, when they used to freeze! I remember as a fun but cold challenge

Good afternoon, all! It was a rather cool morning, waking to 45 degrees and a cold north wind. We got 1 & 3/4" of rain overnight. The day did however warm up, and as we came out from the grocery store, 68 degrees. It is very difficult, if not impossible to climatize in this part of the country.
Working on a station to replace an old Bachmann.
1704322524942.jpeg

And a new flat car load arrived this afternoon.
1704322582311.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back