Running Bear's January 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
After going over all the paperwork for my wife's nursing home stay, I realized you have to be very rich or very poor for any kind of permanent nursing home stay. The poorer you are the better. If you put money away for your retirement you better not get sick. If the government is not helping you pay the bills, you can go broke fast. Just a warning to everyone. Don't rack up too many birthdays to fast.
Swal

After going over all the paperwork for my wife's nursing home stay, I realized you have to be very rich or very poor for any kind of permanent nursing home stay. The poorer you are the better. If you put money away for your retirement you better not get sick. If the government is not helping you pay the bills, you can go broke fast. Just a warning to everyone. Don't rack up too many birthdays to fast.
Swal
I can attest to that. That's the main reason I'm living in a travel trailer in Florida, instead of the 3BR house in NC.

Swal
Worst is that once you do go broke, the government still makes you jump through hoops to establish yourself as new poor. Everyone should heed your warning.

Good evening gang!

It was a good day all in all. Yes, I had to carry firewood down ice covered steps, but I did it. basement temp right now is 85°. I also finally figured out the starter woes of the Cub Cadet, now the driveway has been plowed. Even the parts that had been run over repeatedly and packed down! I also got some time to work on figures for the trailer park gang and the Beverly Hillbillies.

Son #4 left for college yesterday with his truck packet to the gills. He'll be back in the spring. The dogs both are a little out of sorts without him here. The cat doesn't care either way.

Football, personally I don't give a 💩 . Bunch of overpaid whiners playing a GAME!

Happy belated birthday Chad!

Swal
I really hope you can find a winning lotto ticket!
Sherrel, I showed this to the wife, she smiled and said "that's right!".

trains_child.jpg

Here is #3 son running one of my trains across one of my modules at the Great Scale show in Timonium years ago, NCE DCC controller in hand. . And to think he turned 28 last week. Feel old yet??

Nite all!

Willie - The layout tour pics were OK, but to be honest your layout looks a lot better, in my opinion.
Hughie - I have to agree! I do however, admire what this gentleman has done as far as animation is concerned. While I like switching as much as running trains, some modelers just like to watch trains running; one of my brothers is an example. My other brother has begun to like switching in addition to running after seeing other peoples layouts.
Tomorrow I will post some pictures from a far different layout, that of the Texas Northern Model Railroad Club.

Close game between KC and Buffalo.

Clear and moonlit out side, 25° at the Rutgers site. Front porch registered a high of 31° today...Going to 36° tomorrow. and the 50s, with rain, by the end of next week. Good thing I didn't need the snow thrower yet...I still have to check it out and replace the plug.

Spent some time in the trainroom today, gathering material for some unfinished projects. Also removed some cars from the layout...there were too many. I'm down to 100 cars, and that's tad too much. Much discussion on MRH, about simplification...they make a good point. I think I tried to duplicate too much of the prototype into my layout. Perhaps a few changes are in order.

I’m down right a young’n in this group. That’s why I like hanging out here 🤣

as SFW figured out, yesterday was my birthday. I caught up to the wife again (she is just under a month older). I tuned 58. I married late so my son is 20, turning 21 next Sunday, and my daughter is 15, turning 16 next Sunday. Yes, they share the date of birth but 5 years apart.

I don’t usually bother much with my birthday but the family of course doesn’t let me forget. I’ve never much liked to be the center of attention.

on the house front, I didn’t get much done yesterday. I had to help my mom with her furnace /AC blower filter (which ended up being a lot more time demanding than it should have been). The filter hadn’t been changed in 2 years or more. As my dad got weaker and couldn’t do that sort of thing it got forgotten and he passed august 2022. My mom called and w ages me to bell, saying she’d bought one and it didn’t fit sometime last summer. I figured she’d just hit a corner with it or something as the sheet metal enclosures on furnaces aren’t exactly precision made. I went and saw ghat it said 16” x 25” x 5” so I went to Home Depot and found the one marked that and brought it and tried to fit it and sure enough , it didn’t fit. I looked at the exact dimensions (small in parentheses on the existing filter) and saw it was 4 3/8” wide and the one I bought was 4 15/16” wide.

So return it to Home Depot and found the one marked 16” x 25” x 4” at HD is 4.38” wide which is 4 3/8”. Returned the one a d bought a double pack of the correct one and took it to her house. Fit great. But a big time waster. I also ended up going to Costco looking for some ceiling lights. We’d bought a bunch last ‘em year for the house and I figured we’d use these everywhere eher more decorative aren’t being used and I needed another 16 of the m. They are normally 29.9x and we’re on sale for 19.9x but the sale was ending this weekend. I get to the Costco by my mom’s
place and meet the wife there and we do some food shopping and I look for the lights. Can’t find them at all. 😟. So wife buys the food and I tell her I’m going to the Costco down in Riverton. About 10-15 minutes away. (We have like 13 Costcos within about an hours drive). I head there and find they have a bunch of the lights but there is a limit of 10. I get my 10 and call the wife and ask her to drive down there. I put the ones I bought in the car and met her and we bought another 6. Mission accomplished. But it took a lot of time.

we also got to video with my son at the missionary training center. He was doing laundry. Saturday is their day for doing chores and stuff and for chatting with their families and that sort of thing. There are two female sister missionaries from Japan in his district, who will be serving in Japan as well but came to Utah for the missionary training. They were doing their laundry too so my wife spoke to one of them over the video link. (Facebook video). She said my son’s Japanese is pretty good. She is from near Yokohama where my wife’s sister lives. Anyway we chatted with him a while. He’s enjoying the experience and learning lots of language and other things.

I finally made it to the house after the sun went down and input the last front coach light on by the right narrow long garage. I also cleaned up a bunch of my mess from putting lights on this last week to get it out of the way of the mud and tapers for the drywall. I had a large pile of boxes and foam pieces and stuff in the entry way. Got rid of it all. Then I decided I wanted to feel like I was getting more done and I installed 5 of the outlets in the garage. About half of the outlets that aren’t dedicated circuits. There is the wide 2 car garage and then the adjoining single wide garage that is full depth of the house and with outlets every 10-12 feet or I think it ended up being 11 outlets? I got half in. I should finish the rest tomorrow.

It’s been warmer and rainy the last few days. No more 13 degree nights right now. It’s been hitting freezing in the middle of the night but getting to mid or upper 40s during the day, but overcast and rainy.

pic shows all the coach lights in the front. All the lights are hooked to smart switches (Lutron Caseta) so I can set up automations and also remotely control. Right now they’re set up to go on at sunset and off at sunrise. The garage interior lights aren’t yet automated but I can turn them off with my watch or phone so I can do it after leaving or before entering. I’ll eventually have a presence detector turn them on etc.

IMG_4249.jpeg

Last edited:
Good early morning from Wisconsin. It’s 12:05am as I start to type.

I’ll play! I am 1 year and 2 days younger than my wife. I am 71. The daughter is 42 and the son 38. Now I feel older!

Watched 2 of the grandson’s hockey games today. He played well but as a team they lost both! So it goes, 9 and 10 year old players and 7 families invaded a nearby eatery and the kids were over the losses. The parents grumbled and the few grandparents besides Terry and I seemed to be laughing about the parents!

Between all that and having the NFL evening game on I started a couple of my own weathering projects but with oils instead of my normal Arcylics. I have the last few years dabbled with oils and I use Abteilung 502’s and have enjoy working with them. But that dry time…

SO, after watching (this week) some Mike Rinaldi you tube videos (rinaldistudiopress) I realized some things I was doing wrong. The main thing was to let the linseed oil wick out on some corrugated cardboard. This allows the oils to dry quicker. The dry time is what stopped me from playing with the oils more often. He though also incorporates a hair dryer. I have a hair dryer I use in my normal arcylic weathering process but never tried it on my oil attempts. Oils are still for my own projects as the efficiency of Arcylics is too much right now to overcome

A belated Happy Birthday Chad

Storm Isha (or something like that) hit the UK overnight, not so much on the south coast where I am but still a rough night. This morning after the wife had sent me on wind patrol to inspect for any damage (apart from a blown over garden ornament, all is exactly where it should be) I returned to my workbench and this tatty caboose:
20240122_104708.jpg

No idea who made it or who did the very nice weathering job on the chassis but I like it and it will be getting a bit of TLC when I get back from work this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back