Running Bear's January 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie; I'm sure you knew him too. He and wife Shelley were accountsnts and had pacemaker he wore.
He had a number of F-Units and had pictures of the Coke plant and Cattle pens he added.
He also added an old time line and had a 2-4-4-2 loco. They lived in Virginia or Tennessee, I think ?
DAVID -- If you click on the name "Garry Boyd" there -- It is a link to his OBIT.

Good evening. 46°, and cloudy, with rain expected after Midnight. Our modest Christmas decorations were stored for another year. Meanwhile, my visit to the Cardiologist, this morning, was favorable. The Doc also explained how my upcoming procedure will go down. Not what I expected. It will require a hospital stay of 1 to 2 days after the procedure. There is more risk...but life's a risk. Monday, I go for a CT Scan.

Sherrel: Not for nothing, but I almost made a similar ill timed purchase. Freddy the Furrier was offering some hard to ignore late season discounts. The deal breaker was the summer cold storage fees. Turned out the wife wasn't keen on wearing animal pelts. :rolleyes:

Bloomberg had an article about the "Kracken" variant of Covid...one that allegedly resists all treatments and vaccines. Don't know what to believe any more...I know, from personal experience, that the flu shot doesn't work, and that the pneumonia shots aren't much better...I'm masked, every time I leave the house, no matter how many people I offend. Look for another "Booster", shot #6 by the Fall.

Caps are playing in Columbus. it's an ESPN game, only available on cable. :( I'll read the recap and watch the highlights before bed. Same with the Devils, a blackout to protect the local cable companies. Alternative TV for tonight is the "Goldbergs", or reruns of "The Curse of Oak Island". :(:rolleyes:

The January 2023 Railroad Model Craftsman is out. There are several interesting modeling project articles, plus the usual featured Model Railroad, and project reviews. Also included, is a tribute article about the late W. Allen McClelland, of V&O fame. Lot of good reading.

# 647 - NYP to HBG  leaving 36th St Connection WB from Penn - Andrew Sorrentinophoto.jpg

Amtrak Keystone Service # 647 - NYP to Harrisburg, passing through North Philadelphia - undated - Andrew Sorrentino photo. Yes, that lead Cab control car, is a former Metroliner Coach.

Willie; I'm sure you knew him too. He and wife Shelley were accountsnts and had pacemaker he wore.
He had a number of F-Units and had pictures of the Coke plant and Cattle pens he added.
He also added an old time line and had a 2-4-4-2 loco. They lived in Virginia or Tennessee, I think ?
The hyperlink in my post goes to his obituary. Click on it. He lived outside of Cadiz, Kentucky, a little northwest of Nashville TN, off IH-24. We were planning a potential visit the next time I went that way to my Sister-in-Law's home in eastern Tennessee, but Covid got in our way and it never happened. I would have taken IH-40 and would have passed pretty close by. He was about 90 miles from Nashville.

Found an answer...

Christian, I've dabbled in HO and N scales. Like you I used a sectional track with a roadbed. I used Bachman's track because it came with my sets, and it worked well for me.

I prefer a terminal track. It makes setup simple and is easy to change. Also, it eliminates wires running from under the track that can cause problems.

That's just my opinion.

It's your railroad my friend, operate it any way you want.

Thanks for sharing your work!

More about Baltimore,

A few days ago, we had eight separate shootings in a 12-hour period. Followed by a mass shooting the next day. The eight shootings were scattered across the inner city. The mass shooting was in the western district.

The western district is the most violent area of Baltimore.
Oddly enough it is one of my favorite places to deliver packages. The people are genuinely nice. They usually greet me with a smile. They seldom ever hesitate to open their door and say thank you. I witnessed a mother chastise her teenage son for not saying thank you as I handed him the package! The poor boy was going to say something, but his mom did not give him a chance.
Sunday afternoons on Ravens games days they often have block parties. I've been offered free food several times.
Best of all they don't have crazy "kiss my..." delivery instructions. They are grateful for my services.

Economic opportunities and drugs are the root causes of most of the violence.
Police sting operations arresting drug buyers prove most of the customers are whites, coming from the surrounding suburbs. Rural Carroll County has one of the worst overdose epidemics in the entire state.

What i see most in impoverished areas are fast-food, health care, bars, and liquor stores.
Anywhere you find people in need you will find more of the criminal element. Crime and violence are easier than working your way up the ladder in a fast-food chain.

Everybody must eat and wants to provide for their families.
Like Nixon said "(they) don't need welfare, (they) need jobs"

Last edited:
Dysfunctional? What you're witnessing is Democracy in action.
How about the idiots who vote for idiots!
Punishment no longer fits the crime, I'm afraid. The Media makes it worse, by hoping for more clicks and views by twisting the headlines to say "the poor criminal had to stoop to crime to support his family," rather than saying "what an idiot the criminal is."
Make all the laws you want. Enforce them as you like. From wall street to park avenue to skid row. Some will always look for short cuts.
Anywhere you find someone that can't provide for their family, the crime rate goes up!

Greenbay Packers holy cow! I only watch when these guys play. I will tell you this, if they play like they did against the Vikings this past Sunday for the rest of the season against the Lions and the play offs......look out! Defense was the best I have seen in a long long long time! Special teams too! Offense is not quite there yet but close. Some improvements needed or rather tweaking.
Proven way to succeed in the playoffs; An offense that can move the chains by running the ball and a defense that can stop the run.

The Packers are looking great!

We attended my sister's viewing last night. I'm glad there was no casket. The beautiful Urn my nephew picked out was easier to look at. My niece had photos scattered everywhere. I loved seeing photos of my mom, my sisters and other members of the family and friends.

I was happy to find my sister's children in as good as can be expected spirits.

I'm pleased they decided to bury my sister in our family plot. Lots of family history there. My Great Grandfather bought the plot in 1924. My wife and I will end up there some day.

My sister's funeral is today. This is the final chapter of my sister's life, but not the end of her story. Her legacy lives on through me, her children, grandchildren, cousins, nieces, nephews, and all those who knew her.

My sister was nothing short of brilliant. She was a confident, beautiful, and funny lady. She was always the life of a party.

The end of every life is death. It cannot be bought off or avoided, but life must and will go on.

As my sister would I face the world with a positive outlook. I won't dwell on my losses. I will be thankful for the blessing of being born into such a wonderful family in the greatest country in the world.

God Bless Us Everyone!

Adding on to what Bruette is saying about the impoverished, and implying about the revolving door prison system

That revolving door is real.

I got to know, and work with a gent named Rupert. You might have seen him on the hit CBS show that sounds like an 80s Hair Band... the one with the deserted island, tribes, and voting each other off. In the Pirate episode, he stole the other teams' shoes and sold them for supplies.

Seems Rupert runs a rehab program for people looking at a life of that revolving door. His mission is to teach them:
1. Self Worth
2. How to work from the neck down, because they ain't using their neck up for anything
3. A solid work ethic

There's other stuff involved. But Rupert gets a lot of men and women through his program that are success stories. Because he invests time and energy in them.

If you're of the mind, for my Masters degree, I wrote and filmed a 6 part series on what he's doing
You can find the front page of that here. I'm proud of both what I did, telling his story, and what Rupert is doing.

To put Rupert's work into context, there is a great documentary on Netflix, called 13 right now. If you have Netflix, it is very worth the watch. It covers how the 13th Amendment is being used to keep that revolving door moving. And not just in black communities. All it takes is someone underprivileged enough to get into the CJ system, and they're a lifer unless they find an off-ramp like Rupert's program.

The years I spent helping Rupert - both when he was crazy enough to run for Governor of Indiana (as an L) with Mike Pence as the R candidate, and the follow up years, let me meet a bunch of the guys most of us would want to be armed and concealed carrying around. Most of them just needed a Rupert to help them find the way out of the revolving door that we have let be built in our society.

Police officer pulls over a speeding car. The Officer says, " Our patrol helicopter clocked you at 80 mph. sir."

The driver says, "Gee, officer, I had it on cruise control at 60, perhaps your radar needs calibrating."

Not looking up from her knitting the wife says sweetly, "Now don't be silly dear, you know that this car doesn't have cruise control."

As the officer writes out the ticket, the driver looks over at his wife and growls, "Can't you keep your mouth shut for once?"

The wife smiles demurely and says, "You should be thankful your radar detector went off when it did."

As the officer makes out the second ticket for the illegal radar detector unit, the man glowers at his wife and says through clenched teeth, "Dammit, woman, can't you keep your mouth shut."

The officer frowns and says, "And I notice that you're not wearing your seat belt, sir. That's an automatic $75 fine."

The driver says, "Yeah, well you see officer, I had it on, but took it off when you pulled me over so that I could get my license out of my back pocket."

The wife says," Now dear you know very well that you didn't have your seat belt on. You never wear your seat belt when you're driving."

And as the police officer is writing out the third ticket the driver turns to his wife and barks, "WHY DON'T YOU SHUT UP??"

The officer looks over at the woman and asks, "Does your husband always talk to you this way, Ma'am?"

"Oh heavens no, officer. Only when he's been drinking."

Police officer pulls over a speeding car. The Officer says, " Our patrol helicopter clocked you at 80 mph. sir."

The driver says, "Gee, officer, I had it on cruise control at 60, perhaps your radar needs calibrating."

Not looking up from her knitting the wife says sweetly, "Now don't be silly dear, you know that this car doesn't have cruise control."

As the officer writes out the ticket, the driver looks over at his wife and growls, "Can't you keep your mouth shut for once?"

The wife smiles demurely and says, "You should be thankful your radar detector went off when it did."

As the officer makes out the second ticket for the illegal radar detector unit, the man glowers at his wife and says through clenched teeth, "Dammit, woman, can't you keep your mouth shut."

The officer frowns and says, "And I notice that you're not wearing your seat belt, sir. That's an automatic $75 fine."

The driver says, "Yeah, well you see officer, I had it on, but took it off when you pulled me over so that I could get my license out of my back pocket."

The wife says," Now dear you know very well that you didn't have your seat belt on. You never wear your seat belt when you're driving."

And as the police officer is writing out the third ticket the driver turns to his wife and barks, "WHY DON'T YOU SHUT UP??"

The officer looks over at the woman and asks, "Does your husband always talk to you this way, Ma'am?"

"Oh heavens no, officer. Only when he's been drinking."
This reminds me of an adventure back in the 80's at work. A young engineer at work was going through the plant with some inspector from the city looking at a new installation. Finally at one large newly installed piece of machinery, a glass washer; the inspector noticed that there was no backflow valve on the water line and pointed out to the engineer that he would be issuing a citation for it. The engineer then stupidly asked if several other machines needed one as well? The inspector backtracked and ended up issuing eight other citations on machines that he had already passed by.

Baltimore is probably on that short list of cities to avoid.
I've lived in and around Baltimore all my life. I love it here; I would not want to live anywhere else.
I was lucky enough to work outside Baltimore many years ago and then visit again with the Navy many years later. I loved it there as well.....on a side note though me and some fellow sailors were walking towards one of the bars in the derelict side of town and the police advised us of the area and then accompanied us until we arrived at our destination. There are always so many great people out there even if we don't always see them!

Good morning all,

-7F and supposed to warm up to +21. Cleared snow again last eve after work in the full moonlight, sure is pretty when the snow is so fresh and the moon shining bright, always a few stars visible even with the nearly full moon.

Politics has always been a mess, according to me. There is nothing new under the sun, as Solomon so succinctly notes. Fraud, contempt, dishonesty, greed, these will always be with us. Just not the things we want to emulate. It seems the good characteristics are too quiet to make the headlines, like humility, longsuffering, and charity.

Looking forward to a quiet weather weekend, will be working on the new building and touching up a few areas on the layout.

Curt - hope the Covid keeps away. And you are feeling better.

Todd - nice BNSF pics. Most of the BNSF traffic on our line is coal, coming from Wyoming and Montana I presume.

Garry ? - I think his handle was Garry CBQ. I really enjoyed his layout and scenery.

more later, Dave LASM

That should be a total embarrassment to all...on both sides of the aisle. Let's actually govern for a change.
On this dark day in American history, it would be great to see some democrats vote for McCarthy just to break the stalemate and get the house back to work. On the other hand, he has not reached out to democrats either.

Party politics doesn't work well any more in my opinion.....
I could not agree more! Too much of putting the benefit of the party ahead of our country.

No more political comments from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back