Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thank you everyone, for the likes or comments on the in-progress roundhouse photos: Tom-C51, Hughie, Louis, OB Ken, SteveJ, Joe, Willie, Patrick, Gary, Sherrell, Karl, Justin, Smudge, Chad, TomO

I'm mainly just checking in to "acknowledge the acknowledgements" - I'm feeling like I might fighting something again, so I'm going to have get into bed early tonite - sorry about that!

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Not the best of pictures but this is the bench area. Working on tie bundles, the banding being added. I did 10 of the 50 bundles I made up. So boring I stopped. A couple pipe loads and what was supposed to be 6” aluminum ingots for the extruders in town. Need to use solid rounds of styrene instead of dowels.

TomO
A7307440-9B23-449A-88FA-6C3EA07024D3.jpeg
855987FA-6A80-4347-B196-4535E9AF28AD.jpeg
2DC60263-CF92-4D15-9AC0-0674A12254BF.jpeg
1E79E409-8D7B-4F5E-8DDC-7F0A02FFE485.jpeg
04D86A1A-C92B-4A49-8B72-DB15E22BC84B.jpeg
94573B35-AD16-483A-8CBA-F4C9DC724DE6.jpeg

Not the best of pictures but this is the bench area. Working on tie bundles, the banding being added. I did 10 of the 50 bundles I made up. So boring I stopped. A couple pipe loads and what was supposed to be 6” aluminum ingots for the extruders in town. Need to use solid rounds of styrene instead of dowels.

TomOView attachment 138702View attachment 138703View attachment 138704View attachment 138705View attachment 138706View attachment 138707
Not every job we do on our RR are exciting, but the end result is always worth it.

Good Morning model/train enthusiasts. Flo, a stack of thick bread French toast w/maple syrup, a couple of over easy eggs on the side with two sausage patties Please. A cup of deer camp to start with, thanks!
I think I'm still in shock, not having to get up & do the routine. The routine was fine, just weird though.....
I have to get thru the learning curve 🤣
Thank you ALL for the likes, Nice!
affected by all of the rain and snow
Hey Willie, not adversely, no. The moisture is welcome, need it to keep on coming. Even being on the western edge of Oregon's high desert, Eastern side of the Cascade mountains, we get considerably less moisture that the west side of the mountains, but, a pretty fair amount compared to the desert the further east one goes. So far this winter it's been the wind. It's blown harder more times this year than I've seen in a very long time.
dimensions of the new room?
Dave, I haven't been past the coffee shop yet this morning, in case you didn't peek at the Gateway Sub., the room is 12x20. Seemed big until after I got the first layout built. 😁
Congrats on retirement
Thank you Curt. Kind of a surreal feeling right now...but good, it feels really good!
I have a few other hobbies that require gasoline to get there, so this current economic situation might have a bit of a hidden lining to it, knowing that it's going to be a hundred dollar bill to fill the tank if it's only a quarter full or less, plus right now being winter, the incentive to grab the metal detector and hit a spot, has been lowered. (summer's coming though! 😄)

Some great modeling going on though these pages, very good people! 👍
Off to some other things....
HOPE YOU FIND A LAUGH TODAY....ALL BE SAFE!

Got a friend from Alabama stopping in today for a few days. He encouraged me to get serious about my model railroad interests back in the late 80s, so that's when my railroad expanded from a somewhat small layout to around the basement and exploring the various control throttles until DCC became prevalent. He will have a box of locomotives he needs decoders installed in and will test them on the D&J Railroad empire.

Good Morning All. Clear and 42° out there right now, heading up to 73° later today.

Looks like a normal Thursday here, weekly grocery trek and what we think is the last visit for my wife at the orthopedic surgeon. Only three months left on the temporary handicap parking permit.

So maybe I am wondering whether or not I got a breakthrough case of Covid earlier in the week. Dry throat, shortness of breath, random aches and sneezing? Mainly Tuesday and Wednesday, today I woke up feeling pretty much back to normal. Even though I mask up in public and have had all three jabs. I truly believe that within a short period of time, we are all going to get it and build up that elusive herd immunity, thanks to the efforts of our government!!! Most likely if that is what it is, I picked it up within the family as at least four of them tested positive in the last three weeks.

Thanks as always to those fellow modelers for the likes and comments regarding the freight car loads yesterday; Karl, OB Ken, Louis, Chad, Smudge, Gary, Patrick, Steve J, Dave B, Sherrel, Hughie, George, Justin, Curt, Tom O, Rick, Tom, IB Ken, James, Jerry.

How about a good old Mexican Omelet today Flo. Spicy salsa and OJ to go with it.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I only did some painting on the detail parts that I started Tuesday.
IMG_0178.JPG

Still have some more to go on the water heater and junk pile in the lower left before I bring out the weathering powders.
So how about a few more fright car loads today.
IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0185 (2).JPG

Patrick -
That and the welfare mom's bringing their kids so they can go home and nap.
My wife sees a lot of similar abuse at the tax preparer office where she works.
Tom O -
So many stories that Kait thought might make for a good but sad type sit-com TV show.
Same here regarding the tax prep. A good example is three unwed sisters with a combined child count of 14, sharing the same job. They each work for four months a year so they don't compromise the maximum welfare benefits, unemployment, rental assistance, food stamps, earned income credit. And they charge one another to babysit all of the kids so they also get the childcare credit. They all share the same duplex and car. It's a racket that she sees repeated with others although some are not quite as egregious. We're paying for this! On top of all this, they stupidly go for the rapid refund which eats at least 25% of their refunds, but it does pay my wife extra.
Joe - It is indeed sad regarding that Philly fire.
Smudge - Quite a haul.
Jerry - It only took me one day, alright maybe two, to get over the shock of retirement. Never looked back.

Everybody have an awesome day. Stay safe.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 70
Morning all,

A little late this morning. Taking the wife for a heart stress test. They aren't expecting issues as she had this done 18 months ago, but she has stomach issues they want to be sure of, so they are ruling out the heart. So it's a day off!!! Still not going to get anything done today.

Supposed to be a nice day for January. high of 62° with us having a cruddy day Saturday and back to nice on Monday...Always the weekend.

BBL.

On the topic of the Thomas the Tank. It seems that when our club sets up at Timonium, the most watched train is the Thomas the Tank train that one of the members puts out there more as a joke. Is that the limit of the majority of model railroaders?
Hardly anybody recognizes the hand-built carloads or the detailed locomotives, but Thomas the Tank is like, phenominal.

On the topic of the Thomas the Tank. It seems that when our club sets up at Timonium, the most watched train is the Thomas the Tank train that one of the members puts out there more as a joke. Is that the limit of the majority of model railroaders?
Hardly anybody recognizes the hand-built carloads or the detailed locomotives, but Thomas the Tank is like, phenominal.
Thomas and frieds, net over $1 billion a year for Mattel. It's believed one of the reasons our hobby has not only survived over the last 25yrs or so, but brings in new blood year in year out. Next time you go to a meet, ask anyone under 30 if they had a thomas the tank when they were kids, or how they became enthusiasts, be surprised how many there are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back