Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those walls look familiar. Are they from City Classics' Smallman Street Warehouse kit?
Yes they are. It's my starting point. The Main building and the Pulp building are also Smallman street kits. I have never done one as a background with some depth. The Prototype plant generated 100+ outbound loads per day, took in 24 pulp cars / day, plus chlorine and caustic soda in tank cars, and covered hoppers of plastic pellets. Reading had 2 crews/daily 1 day tour, one afternoon, PRR had two crews 1 daylight, 1 midnight. Crews also served other local industries,

What's scuttlebutt in RRd lingo?. A bit I saw on a post that the MRL 4300 SD70ACe's will be sold for the reason they are not compliant (presumably in lead positions on a class1 RRd). The 4400's will be repainted into BNSF colors as availability for that happens. So I guess that unofficially confirms their sales. It mentioned there was interest in the 4300's. No-one seems to use "B" units anymore.

Good morning!
FAMILY GUY_DOG.png

1706952746673.png

Eric Smith

What's scuttlebutt in RRd lingo?. A bit I saw on a post that the MRL 4300 SD70ACe's will be sold for the reason they are not compliant (presumably in lead positions on a class1 RRd). The 4400's will be repainted into BNSF colors as availability for that happens. So I guess that unofficially confirms their sales. It mentioned there was interest in the 4300's. No-one seems to use "B" units anymore.
Most likely not Tier 4 compliant and they may feel not worth rebuilding due to the wear and tear on them.

Good morning all. After a warm night of 13c the temperature is now 9c.

It has been a bad week for Dawn. She has been in a relentless pain. Rather difficult to keep a positive spin on things. Difficult yes. Not impossible. Hopefully good days are ahead. I shall try and take her for a drive into the countryside this afternoon.

Back later

Morning all,

A little drizzly this morning where it's currently 54°. Supposed to really rain this afternoon. Tomorrow's high of 46° with rain is about normal. The we're back to near 60° on Monday. I currently have my servers cooking, can't reboot them until 8:00a but they probably won't be ready.

Got almost all the laundry completed yesterday along with trimming the peach trees back. I should have done it earlier as the warmer weather has got the sap started moving in them. Probably bloom in the next few weeks only to get hit by a late frost. So what else is new. These peach trees can put on 8' of growth in a single season. Yes I said 8 feet. But they produce heavy when the frost doesn't get them. Had the limbs loaded in the truck, but the city has the limb yard open only on Saturdays and Sundays during the "winter" months, so I unloaded them back on the driveway in front of the 3rd garage stall. Should be an easy reload later.

I guess I'm going stag to the train show after work. I usually have a tag-along or 2, but they have other things going on today, as well as it's closer to work (where I am currently). I'll be looking for stuff I can't live without as well as some Athearn parts (mostly the 90602 coupler covers). I think they're still made, but $8.00 for a dozen and another $6 to $8+for shipping is ridiculous.

BBL

Last edited:
We have solar powered security lights around our property. Some of the lights are on the perimeter fence. One or two local cats like to 'patrol' along the said fence at night, setting of the lights. Naturally I have to check 'just in case of an intruder'. Another disturbed night.
Know what you mean! We had to shut off the notifications on our phones due to the feral cats and other neighborhood critters wandering the yard at night and setting off the ring doorbell camera, and the motion camera on the back deck.

Problem is remembering to turn them back on in the morning!

Good Morning All!

38F @ 90% and dark

Quick question for you RV'rs. The alarm I told you about a few weeks ago is going off ...again... When it stopped last time I assumed it was some sort of temp thing. Well, throw that out the window. When I go into it, it seems to come from all directions and I can not pinpoint the source. Damn loud screech. Anybody know if these things have a CO or CO2 monitor in them; or another unknown type? If so, where would I look?

Thanks!

Good morning from Hilton Head Island. A good but chilly day yesterday and I am looking forward to the warmth of Florida this afternoon. 3 more days of golf start Sunday there. Of the 60 playing here in South Carolina only 10 brought along the spouse or girlfriend. Florida will have about 30 with them as there will be many more choices for them than SC had.

Going down for a quick breakfast and then a meeting with the resort staff representatives. Overall it’s been good but the group survey says Springtime next year not Winter.

enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 52° after the predicted thundershower last night. Misted and drizzled starting about 3:00 pm and then the storm hit about 10:00. All over before midnight and I have 0.85" in the rain gauge this morning. The mild weather continues however, for at least the next ten days.

Groundhogs are not found here in Texas, so we have no weather prediction. We have armadillos but they're too blind to see anything, much less their shadow. All they're good for is digging up and consuming fire ants and an occasional stew.

Yesterday, I started planting my onions in the garden and got half planted before the drizzle just made things too messy to continue. In retrospect, I should have started about 30 minutes earlier, but the rainy area blossomed out more rapidly than expected. I did get 140 plants out however.
IMG_1321.JPG

Shouldn't be a major issue getting the rest in early next week, I did hoe up the rest of the bed and I have "mudded" them in many times in the past. Note that I still have a small 6'x10' area that I need to spread wood chips on, in the upper center of the picture. I survived with only minor discomfort in my hamstrings this morning.

I was out in the train shed for a while after the drizzle started. I spray-painted all of the fence plus the additional rails for the stone pillar part with some Krylon white primer. It wasn't worth setting up the airbrush for just 5 minutes of spraying, especially since I would have to clean it out while waiting for side one to dry. In between I inspected and cleaned another 14-15 freight cars. A few needed trip pin adjustments and one needed wheel cleaning, but no major repairs needed.
Archive time again.
I haven't weathered a lot of freight cars yet, and all that I have done are rather crude. I am no where in the same league as Tom O, or Tom (Cambria), and I use mostly dry-brushing and weathering powders. Some of my graffiti is quite crude, as it represents late-60's through early 80's graffiti, although I have used some Blair Line decals recently. Here are a few examples:
01-22-20 024.JPG

01-22-20 022.JPG

01-22-20 023.JPG
01-22-20 025.JPG
05-01-20 001.JPG

06-26-19 003.JPG

David - Seems like an interesting sleepover for your grandson. Here's hoping that Dawn is feeling better today.
Mike - That's quite a Lego set-up. The Lego company could use that video as an advertising campaign. Yes! There is probably a lot of bucks in that layout, but not nearly as much as paving the entire layout area!o_O
Know what you mean! We had to shut off the notifications on our phones due to the feral cats and other neighborhood critters wandering the yard at night and setting off the ring doorbell camera, and the motion camera on the back deck.

Problem is remembering to turn them back on in the morning!
Can't you set the notifications up on a timer?

Today is the 65th anniversary of "The Day the Music Died". Rockers Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper all died in the fateful plane crash in 1959. Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on that plane, but he gave up his seat because The Big Bopper was sick.
It was truly a tough time for Rock & Roll since Elvis was in the Army and Chuck Berry was in prison. Kinda left us with Neil Sedaka and Pat Boone! :rolleyes:

Everyone have a super Saturday. I'll be updating my layout thread later this morning after I spend a little time with my wife.

Good Morning All!

38F @ 90% and dark

Quick question for you RV'rs. The alarm I told you about a few weeks ago is going off ...again... When it stopped last time I assumed it was some sort of temp thing. Well, throw that out the window. When I go into it, it seems to come from all directions and I can not pinpoint the source. Damn loud screech. Anybody know if these things have a CO or CO2 monitor in them; or another unknown type? If so, where would I look?

Thanks!
These are the two most common types of LP detector/CO detector. The ceiling mounted one is smoke/CO, the black, wall mounted one is LP/CO detector:

Attachments

• IMG_5291.jpeg
    IMG_5291.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5292.jpeg
    IMG_5292.jpeg
    594.1 KB · Views: 12
Morning folks

Yesterday's weather forecast was spot on and it is currently snowing with a temp of 32F. 3 to 6" predicted.

That said, it was raining last night at 1:00 am when I went on the canine stroll and yesterday I picked my first "wild flower" of the season: a dandelion off the front yard. That is a good two months sooner than that ever happened before.

I finished up the scanning of another Beartooth Mountains backpack trip yesterday, this one from 1980.
53502608692_e6d43ba7d0_b.jpg

53502608002_9525c46e58_b.jpg

53502602367_92eca91515_b.jpg

53503916495_92112857c4_b.jpg

53503637488_564b19ea36_b.jpg

Morning folks

Yesterday's weather forecast was spot on and it is currently snowing with a temp of 32F. 3 to 6" predicted.

That said, it was raining last night at 1:00 am when I went on the canine stroll and yesterday I picked my first "wild flower" of the season: a dandelion off the front yard. That is a good two months sooner than that ever happened before.

I finished up the scanning of another Beartooth Mountains backpack trip yesterday, this one from 1980.
53502608692_e6d43ba7d0_b.jpg

53502608002_9525c46e58_b.jpg

53502602367_92eca91515_b.jpg

53503916495_92112857c4_b.jpg

53503637488_564b19ea36_b.jpg
Thats some beautiful country!

Some good inspiration for a mountain scene on the layout!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back